Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

no not really but i guess Elvish Visionary is a body and a card at the same mana cost

Yeah, the list already runs 4-of visionaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Yeah, the list already runs 4-of visionaries.

yeah i figured that'd be the case but it's the only 2 mana draw a card i can think of

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Okay maybe you can justify something like Leaf Gilder? On the basis of it's a turn 3 CoCo. I mean it's way worse then Visionary and Jace but it at least kinda sorta fits with your gameplan

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Okay maybe you can justify something like Leaf Gilder? On the basis of it's a turn 3 CoCo. I mean it's way worse then Visionary and Jace but it at least kinda sorta fits with your gameplan

How about Carrier Thrall? It only sorta ramps, but it does provide double the bodies for Zulaport fodder, and is fine against more aggro gameplans.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

How about Carrier Thrall? It only sorta ramps, but it does provide double the bodies for Zulaport fodder, and is fine against more aggro gameplans.

oh i thought it already played those, yeah that fits way better

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Blisterpod maybe?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
What're the odds that any box of M13 I buy online isn't a mapped dud? I want to pick one up to draft with friends.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Foreskin Problems posted:

What're the odds that any box of M13 I buy online isn't a mapped dud? I want to pick one up to draft with friends.

if it's still shrinkwrapped w/ the wotc shrinkwrap it shouldn't have been opened

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Blisterpod maybe?

Could also say gently caress it and go 4x Coralhelm Guide for the sweet unblockable Nantuko Husk.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

1 mana dorks are a bit different, there was a development article where they said they warp standard. That doesn't mean they're gone forever but they could easily let them lapse for a bit longer.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Could also say gently caress it and go 4x Coralhelm Guide for the sweet unblockable Nantuko Husk.

You're never going to have enough mana to Rally and active guide in the same turn.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

But Wizards thought 4 mana for a regularly sized Goyf with trample and Lightning Helix To The Dome attached was fine in standard.

That still hasn't sunk in.

something something midrange creature combat not a tempo/spell based control deck

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

AlternateNu posted:

You're never going to have enough mana to Rally and active guide in the same turn.

I think there's 10 lands in the deck that aren't fetch lands, so yeah, that probably won't happen. If you really wanted something to be unblockable though, Rogue's Passage is cheaper than Coralhelm Guide.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
lovely Bolt - R
Instant
lovely Bolt deals 2 damage to target creature or 3 damage to target player. Exile lovely Bolt.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gyshall posted:

lovely Bolt - R
Instant
lovely Bolt deals 2 damage to target creature or 3 damage to target player. Exile lovely Bolt.

Worded that way, you cannot cast that spell without a creature on the battlefield.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gyshall posted:

lovely Bolt - R
Instant

id be into it if it wasnt for processors

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Hey lsv put up a cool play thing:

so -

remand now or remand later?

Personally I'm down with remand later since remanding now runs the risk of them having dispel immediately or them untapping and dropping keranos while you're tapped out.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

mcmagic posted:

It's unfortunate if they are only making 10-20k a year considering how good they are at it.

They most likely aren't doing it just for the money. Also in Cedric's case, he's also the content manager for all of SCG.com so that's probably more of a livable income.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FordCQC posted:

They most likely aren't doing it just for the money. Also in Cedric's case, he's also the content manager for all of SCG.com so that's probably more of a livable income.

I'm also guessing this is why they had Gerry Thompson on a few weeks ago.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
i'm thinking remand later. like you said, it keeps you open depending on what they have in their hand, and i don't think they'd cast exarch into that much blue mana if it was their only win condition in hand. we've also got enough mana to just cast remand twice if they have a remand of their own.

really the main conundrum here is "do you think your opponent has more gas or do they just have a twin they need to get out bc their hand sucks" and it looks like they kept 7 and haven't casted anything if i'm doing my math right, so twin might really not be the biggest threat in their hand.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FordCQC posted:

What they are doing it for isn't the point. They should be able to make a living wage at that job that they are very good at.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mcmagic posted:

They should be able to make a living wage at that job that they are very good at.

heavy stuff for the MTG Megathread

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

1 mana dorks are a bit different, there was a development article where they said they warp standard. That doesn't mean they're gone forever but they could easily let them lapse for a bit longer.

They've done a reasonably good job making the ramp archetype look different and still be viable, which actually makes a lot of sense given the way Landfall and such operate. I don't think they'll be back until Battle for Zendikar rotates out, but yeah, I feel like they're too iconic to not come back eventually.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

What they are doing it for isn't the point. They should be able to make a living wage at that job that they are very good at.

So should McDonald's employees.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

So should McDonald's employees.

Oh, that's a big misplay -- he really should have added the mustard before applying the pickles. That's really going to cost him time, and is going to make the end game pretty slippery for his customer.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Would you like fries with your burger sir?

I think I'd rather have like, a ham sandwich.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

mcmagic posted:

:bernget:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Playing Modern Aristocrats is great except I'm testing online and I have to target Blood Artist triggers every time. I know strictly I can target myself with it, but shouldn't it at least default to target the opponent? I'm sure other spells and effects like that do it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Playing Modern Aristocrats is great except I'm testing online and I have to target Blood Artist triggers every time. I know strictly I can target myself with it, but shouldn't it at least default to target the opponent? I'm sure other spells and effects like that do it.

Zulaport Cutthroat was changed to each opponent, presumably for that reason, as well as commander. And what if you want to trigger your Lich's Mirror or grow your Death's Shadow?

Yes I know you gain life too that was the joke.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Death Bot posted:

we've also got enough mana to just cast remand twice if they have a remand of their own.

When you remand a spell that's cast with Flashback, the spell is still exiled.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

This is like acting or game development or sports. There's lots of people who will do the job for less. I'd be surprised if these guys make more than a couple hundred bucks per gig, excluding expenses. Same with the non-unionized members on the wotc production staff too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Death Bot posted:

i'm thinking remand later. like you said, it keeps you open depending on what they have in their hand, and i don't think they'd cast exarch into that much blue mana if it was their only win condition in hand. we've also got enough mana to just cast remand twice if they have a remand of their own.

really the main conundrum here is "do you think your opponent has more gas or do they just have a twin they need to get out bc their hand sucks" and it looks like they kept 7 and haven't casted anything if i'm doing my math right, so twin might really not be the biggest threat in their hand.

Remand later. It gives you options, lessens the likelihood they go for the combo once Exarch resolves and your hand kind of sucks vs. the combo at the moment to begin with. You probably lose if they have Dispel and are determined to slam Twin anyways.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 16, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also, am I missing something, or is OGW Nissa just terrible? Her design doesn't really make a lot of sense either - she has random Ajani abilities.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
There just HAS to be something that cares about plant tokens. It just makes no sense otherwise

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Makes a chump blocker, makes creatures bigger, can make your chump blockers bigger. Suddenly all of your plants are big? Seems efficient and fine to me.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Makes a chump blocker, makes creatures bigger, can make your chump blockers bigger. Suddenly all of your plants are big? Seems efficient and fine to me.

Yeah, it's almost like she's becoming the Avenger of Zendikar, or something.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Well she can put counters on them with her -2. Eeeeeeeh...

Intangible Virtue reprint in Shadows? Sacrifice strategy?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I said efficient not exciting.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I said efficient not exciting.

I agree, it's real hard to evaluate planeswalkers without seeing the set they're coming out with.
She looks solid. Not insane, but solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Oath Nissa is not impressive at first look, but she costs only costs 3, makes a chump to protect her, and puts counters on things. She is going to be so annoying to play against.

• Locked thread