Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ekster posted:

I dunno, AD&D based Western RPGs like the Baldur's Gate series are even worse IMO.

My experience with them is that while they're convoluted and dumb, they don't have the specifics of important mechanics straight up hidden from the players, like Dark Souls does with Agility and weapon scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sotfs changes pretty much all of the enemy encounters and felt like almost an entirely new game to me when I played through it

not every change they made was for the best (new iron keep sucks), but for the most part the changes are at worst sidegrades to what was already there. I'd recommend playing sotfs to anyone looking to play dark souls 2 again because it has some surprises in store for returning players

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Zaphod42 posted:

Look at it this way; Scholar is the Master Quest to DS2's Ocarina of Time.

Is it the same world, and the same game basically? Yes. Is it a new remix to keep you on your toes if you're a master of the base game? Yes.

There's plenty of new poo poo that works better in Scholar. If you're sick of DS2 then don't get it but if you're about to play your 4th character of DS2 anyways you may as well start in Scholar instead and have some new stuff that tricks you up and makes things more fun.
Contrary to Master Quest, however, it's definitely not a steaming pile of garbage.

I am happy for any excuse to replay a Souls game with a new build, so SotFS was just even more of an incentive than the ~biannual urge I get. If you played through DS2 "to finish it" and aren't really interested in trying out new poo poo, then it's of course not that attractive. Still probably worth a look, though.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I have another question regarding infusion chat: I'm trying out a sorcerer and I've been rolling with a +7 long sword that I enchant with magic weapon, using the staff of wisdom. I've just hit 50 int and I'm wondering if there are any weapons that i should infuse?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Long sword is probably the best if you dont care to raise STR and DEX high. Moonlight greatsword is another decent weapon but you cant buff that. Blue flame good too but I find the R2 annoying. If you're willing to raise dex chaos blade or uchigatana might be good to infuse still.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 14, 2015

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Thank you all for the assistance! :)

Simply Simon posted:

For weapon decisions: I feel that +6 is enough for a large portion of the game, if of course not ideal as soon as you can actually get the chunks/even slabs.
[...]
If you've only ever seen the Halberd and no alternatives, for example, I would recommend you leave it at +6 until you do find an alternative, check the moveset of that if there's an immediate dealbreaker (example for a different weapon class: if you've been using a short sword and really like its stab attack, a statwise better long sword is nonsense for you as it doesn't have the stab), then upgrade that to +6 and compare.

This was very helpful, Simon; thank you. Makes me feel better about not rushing to upgrade past +6 right away.
I do really like the 1-handed Halberd's light attack "chop down with the axe-part, then thrust forward with the spear-part"; none of the other 'Halberd'-type weapons I have access to seem to have that particular move, being more like 'axes with very long handles' with lots of left-to-right swipes.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Ghost of Starman posted:

Thank you all for the assistance! :)

This was very helpful, Simon; thank you. Makes me feel better about not rushing to upgrade past +6 right away.
I do really like the 1-handed Halberd's light attack "chop down with the axe-part, then thrust forward with the spear-part"; none of the other 'Halberd'-type weapons I have access to seem to have that particular move, being more like 'axes with very long handles' with lots of left-to-right swipes.

If you like the move set, run with it and don't look back. :clint:

Though do get a back up weapon that compliments any weaknesses your main weapon has .

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
SoTFS was worth it just for the changes to dragon shrine. Specifically the dragonbros.

nachos fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 14, 2015

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing these games since Demon's Souls and I've never really done anything with magic/faith builds ever. What are your favourite spells, miracles, and whatever hexes are?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

I've been playing these games since Demon's Souls and I've never really done anything with magic/faith builds ever. What are your favourite spells, miracles, and whatever hexes are?

Soul Greatsword is probably my favorite as far as aesthetics and usability go. There's a lot of other ones like Great Combustion that seem kinda neat, but which tend to have worse returns in PVE compared to just swinging your sword repeatedly. Most of the spells are only good for providing a ranged option that doesn't consume ammo (e.g. Dark Orb, which is the Hex you're going to use in PVE 90% of the time).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Chameleon is the best spell ever in any dark souls :getin:

After that, the most useful spells IMO are just sunlight blade and crystal magic weapon, because the fighting systems in souls games are so good that I don't like to go pure magic, I like to use it to enhance my rear end kicking.

Most of the really flashy spells are ironically useless or next to useless. The most useful hard magic is stuff like soul arrow and soul spear. But go ahead and play around with all of it because why not.
Hexes are exactly like sorceries but use different stats, pretty much. Not really unique.

The knockback miracle is really good at launching people off ledges to their deaths, that spell is massively underrated and one of the best in the game.

When it comes to really flashy magic the only one that I ever actually used was that Seathe Ray, I forget the name of it. The one that grows crystals in a line. But DS2 doesn't have that one.

Everybody should roll a Big Hat Logan character eventually. Just as long as its not your first char.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zaphod42 posted:

When it comes to really flashy magic the only one that I ever actually used was that Seathe Ray, I forget the name of it. The one that grows crystals in a line. But DS2 doesn't have that one.

White Dragon Breath. DS2 has Soul Bolt which is basically the same right down to being pretty useless, but without the crystals.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

So I just bought SotFS for PC since it has been a while since I've played DkS 2 (since release, actually). I played a lot of dex and quality builds in DkS 1, but went strength for my vanilla character for the release version. For SotFS, I'm going str again but this time with the trusty old Estoc +10. Got the final chunks I needed from brightstone cove last night and had a few slabs so it's +10 now.

I really like the way my build feels and am debating leveling up fth and int for CMW. I'm at SL 101 now and still have some points that need to go into endurance, but I've got enough adp for 100 agi and it feels really nice. For some reason it feels better than the release version; did they increase I-frames somewhere along the way? At this point I'd probably be fine with 95 agi, but I don't want to spend any soul vessels yet. I've heard a little about the DLC areas but I'm trying to keep my progress as blind as possible.

Rob Haldorson fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 15, 2015

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Chameleon is the best spell ever in any dark souls :getin:

After that, the most useful spells IMO are just sunlight blade and crystal magic weapon, because the fighting systems in souls games are so good that I don't like to go pure magic, I like to use it to enhance my rear end kicking.

Most of the really flashy spells are ironically useless or next to useless. The most useful hard magic is stuff like soul arrow and soul spear. But go ahead and play around with all of it because why not.
Hexes are exactly like sorceries but use different stats, pretty much. Not really unique.

The knockback miracle is really good at launching people off ledges to their deaths, that spell is massively underrated and one of the best in the game.

Everybody should roll a Big Hat Logan character eventually. Just as long as its not your first char.

Some spells are really good for distraction even if they were meant for damage. When I first started doing PvP consistently, I was under the assumption that all spells should be used to do damage to your opponent. Now I've realized that casting Dark Fog can mask a GRS follow-up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rob Haldorson posted:

Some spells are really good for distraction even if they were meant for damage. When I first started doing PvP consistently, I was under the assumption that all spells should be used to do damage to your opponent. Now I've realized that casting Dark Fog can mask a GRS follow-up.

Yeah, while I think magic is kind of lackluster in PvE overall, it's great in PvP. Flashy, impractical spells that aren't really worth using in PvE do a great job of forcing PvP opponents to move into stupid positions or roll just in time to get hit in the face with a Soul Spear or GRS. Spells like Soul Vortex are for zoning, not damage, which unfortunately means it's not going to be as good in PvE as just shoving Crystal Soul Spears in something's face.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Back when Dark Fog would poison most players in under a second you could absolutely brutalize people by casting that, then affinity, then dark orb spam into the cloud. Maybe two or three people I did this to on the iron keep bridge ever survived it and they were all GMB Havel types. Recollection is another great hex to fire through a smoke screen though sadly I don't think it ever coexisted with pre nerf Fog.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

There exist several effects in the game which don't just break poise but also will knock down the target if they're not big/heavy. Thus I was wondering:
-Are any of them faster than the Majestic Greatsword's left-handed 2HR2? It's plenty useful for outranging NPC phantoms but it also consumes a fair bit of stamina.
-Will they always work if the target's not blocking/large? Or do they just inflict a lot of poise damage?

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 15, 2015

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I freed a bird lady and now she is selling me giant dex weapons that give me boners.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I've wondered since the first day playing this game how chumps are getting petrified in that place with all the hollow infantry just outside the Salamanders den.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the reason those basilisks were in aldia's keep is because aldia liked to take them around and freeze people as a practical joke

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
loving MANIKINS :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ghost of Starman posted:

loving MANIKINS :argh:

Once I lost 6k souls cause I beat an enemy with super low health, and before I could chug estus I got sniped by a manikin 2 floors below me across the tower.

Earthen Peak would of been cool if it focused more on the vertical aspect but I guess they took lessons learned there and applied them to Brume Tower.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 16, 2015

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
And then they made the ennemies there hard hitting unstunnable jerks.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

skasion posted:

Back when Dark Fog would poison most players in under a second you could absolutely brutalize people by casting that, then affinity, then dark orb spam into the cloud. Maybe two or three people I did this to on the iron keep bridge ever survived it and they were all GMB Havel types. Recollection is another great hex to fire through a smoke screen though sadly I don't think it ever coexisted with pre nerf Fog.

I rarely see any havel monsters in the wild these days. The YouTube museum is where one must go to feast their eyes upon what was once a pervasive force in the Dark Souls PvP world.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Iceclaw posted:

And then they made the ennemies there hard hitting unstunnable jerks.
Are you thinking of the same Brume Tower I'm thinking of? Because those enemies could be reliably stunned with sufficiently heavy weapons or powerstances.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Finally made it to That Bridge I've seen in so many Dark Souls 2 videos, right in front of Iron Keep.

...oh god why am I so crap at PvP? :cry:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I always wanted that spell that Scorpioness Najka uses. The graphic for one of the spells looks exactly like it, unlike what that spell actually does, which leads me to believe it was originally intended to be a spell and then they decided it was too powerful or something.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Finally made it to That Bridge I've seen in so many Dark Souls 2 videos, right in front of Iron Keep.

PvP you have to approach very different from PvE because humans take advantage of souls' mechanics unlike monsters. You've gotta think like a person and bait certain reactions, to say nothing of the effects of lag on parries.

Really it just takes a poo poo ton of practice. Same for everybody. Anybody good at souls pvp has just done a ton of it to figure out the weird parts.

The skill curve is even longer and more obtuse than standard souls gameplay. Don't feel bad if you die a lot just try to have fun.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

If you're sub about 2.5-5 mil soul memory, almost everyone you see in the bridge is likely to be a massive tryhard.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

If you're sub about 2.5-5 mil soul memory, almost everyone you see in the bridge is likely to be a massive tryhard.

So, people with PvP-centered builds, deliberately keeping their Level low so they can duel one another/prey on hapless newbies like me?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

So, people with PvP-centered builds, deliberately keeping their Level low so they can duel one another/prey on hapless newbies like me?

Yes

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

:argh:

Can I just say, Zaphod, I really appreciate that your avatar makes me read all of your posts in Rick's voice. Something about Rick imparting reasonable, even-tempered advice on Dark Souls is inherently amusing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

:argh:

Can I just say, Zaphod, I really appreciate that your avatar makes me read all of your posts in Rick's voice. Something about Rick imparting reasonable, even-tempered advice on Dark Souls is inherently amusing.

You suck at dark souls; I can prove it mathematically. :cheeky:

BUUUUUUUUUUUUURP

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fool_of_sound posted:

nah, Blood Arena is the land of the tryhards. Bridgebros are mostly people having a good time doing friendly duels.

Anyway, don't despair if it's a little hard to get used to. You can get a Red Soapstone from Undead Purgatory, then use that to practice PvP at no cost to yourself. Other ways to duel at no risk to yourself will also become available later on.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Ghost of Starman posted:

If you have any interest in PvP at all, watch some of the videos on this guy's channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?pvpskillz1

He's been around in the community for a long time and has some really helpful videos regarding PvP basics/mechanics in the Souls series.

Juutas1988 also has probably one of the best guides to parrying on YouTube, in addition to having top-notch Souls content in general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6E77OR13F4 The video is a little old, but the concepts haven't changed and really helped me nail some of the parry timings of different weapon attacks and movesets.

If you want to try PvPing more without dealing with PvP spergs, you can join the bell covenant and try vanquishing people who ring the bell in Belfry Sol. Sure, you'll still run across a few tryhards there, but not as much as the Iron Keep bridge.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Lucatiel gave me her set, but now I can't find her anymore. She's going to be okay, right? :ohdear:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
She went to sleep and isnt waking up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

her whole thing is losing her mind as she gradually goes hollow

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know who doesn't lose her mind? Eileen the Crow :smug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

actually she does if you gently caress up her quest

if you complete it, she is instead shot and stabbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Rob Haldorson posted:

If you want to try PvPing more without dealing with PvP spergs, you can join the bell covenant and try vanquishing people who ring the bell in Belfry Sol. Sure, you'll still run across a few tryhards there, but not as much as the Iron Keep bridge.

Speaking of, what is the purpose of Belfry Luna and Belfry Sol? I know some sort of important key was behind the Gargoyle fight in original DS2 - now that it's not, do the Belfries basically just exist as fun little side-areas with a LOT of opt-in PvP?