Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Place a vanilla dispenser, one block below the level of the endoflames facing up. Put a carpenter's pressure plate on it, click it with a carpenter's hammer to invert the redstone signal and... you're done. Drop a coal on top to get it started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Last time I was messing around with starting a new world, I was using a command that would dump counts of each type of ore to chat, so you could easily test (for example) cofh custom ore generation configs. Now, I can't remember what command that was or where I found out about it. It apparently wasn't any of the commands built into cofh-core. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

:(

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Goncyn posted:

Last time I was messing around with starting a new world, I was using a command that would dump counts of each type of ore to chat, so you could easily test (for example) cofh custom ore generation configs. Now, I can't remember what command that was or where I found out about it. It apparently wasn't any of the commands built into cofh-core. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

:(
/oredistribution from BDLib

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Threep posted:

/oredistribution from BDLib

you're a gentleman and a scholar. could not find anyone talking about this on Google to save my life.

for reference:
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/35irwn/this_should_be_useful_to_some_people_pack_makers/

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Reason posted:

Where did you find that? its neat

https://www.behance.net/pykodelbi

They're Russian freelance game artists. With the same surname, so I assume sisters or something? IDK. Anyway, they're pretty good.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Can some AE2 wizards help me figure this out?

I have a bunch of JABBA barrels that we were using for storage pre-AE setup, and since I like the look of them, I decided to keep using them for storage by slapping a storage bus on the back of them. Wiring them directly to the controller works, but eats channels like no tomorrow, so I wanted to try to use P2P tunnels to save on channels. I set it up in a test world, and the terminal doesn't show the items in the barrels in the network. Where am I going wrong? Or is this just something that can't work at all?

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
P2P tunnels don't create channels -- they tunnel channels through other channels. Given the same number of devices, you need the same number of channels coming off your Controller whether you connect some with P2P tunnels or not. What you can do in the case of your barrel situation is use a sub-network. I'm not confident that this is exactly correct off the top of my head without playing for a while, but the basic idea is:

- set up all your barrels with storage buses and connect them to a separate network totally disconnected from your main network (this will require its own controller if you have more than 7 barrels)
- Add a block-style ME Interface to the sub-network
- from your main network, point a Storage Bus at the sub-network's ME Interface
- use a quartz fiber to connect power across from the main network, too, if you want

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Goncyn posted:

- set up all your barrels with storage buses and connect them to a separate network totally disconnected from your main network (this will require its own controller if you have more than 7 barrels)
Instead of adding a controller, just chain subnetworks the same way, one subnetwork per 6 barrels.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
I'm sorta talking out of my rear end here because I don't have any experience with server performance tuning, but on the latest "season" of the ForgeCraft 2 server, they made a rule against doing that sort of sub-network chaining for performance reasons. Dunno how extreme your network chain has to get to cause problems, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
two questions
1) is there a good modded minecraft youtube channel that explains mods in a more interesting way than "here's what a crafting recipe is, here's what the block does blah blah blah", like explain things that you can't just read off a wiki page but in a more time wasting format while I grade a hundred exams
2) what program is the best to use to build structures and copy paste then in minecraft worlds without breaking when mods are involved? or maybe how to you managed to build stuff ingame in faster and less annoying manner? even with creative mode on building the sane large cubes and fences while managing inventory and making sure there's nowhere a creeper can spawn is just tiresome by now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Acne Rain posted:

two questions
1) is there a good modded minecraft youtube channel that explains mods in a more interesting way than "here's what a crafting recipe is, here's what the block does blah blah blah", like explain things that you can't just read off a wiki page but in a more time wasting format while I grade a hundred exams
Not really. I guess direwolf20 videos are the best as a general category for what you want, if you really just need a little noise. However, you have to make sure to get the introductory ones versus him bumbling about in his base for 30 minutes.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What are the payoffs from Botania and Thaumcraft? Botania in particular I think I looked through all the effect flowers and I don't see anything super-worth all the effort. Although perhaps I just misunderstand the value of some of the effects they give. Are there other usable items and things that pay off all the work?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Devor posted:

What are the payoffs from Botania and Thaumcraft? Botania in particular I think I looked through all the effect flowers and I don't see anything super-worth all the effort. Although perhaps I just misunderstand the value of some of the effects they give. Are there other usable items and things that pay off all the work?

Botania doesn't really have a "payoff." The gimmick of the mod is that it provides a bunch of esoteric gameplay mechanisms to automate, and the fun is building the thing that automates them. Botania is really a tech mod at heart.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

taiyoko posted:

Can some AE2 wizards help me figure this out?

I have a bunch of JABBA barrels that we were using for storage pre-AE setup, and since I like the look of them, I decided to keep using them for storage by slapping a storage bus on the back of them. Wiring them directly to the controller works, but eats channels like no tomorrow, so I wanted to try to use P2P tunnels to save on channels. I set it up in a test world, and the terminal doesn't show the items in the barrels in the network. Where am I going wrong? Or is this just something that can't work at all?

A P2P channel basically compresses all channels (up to 32 since that's how much a dense cable can carry) as one channel. Basically what you'd do is attach one end of the P2P bus to your controller, and the other end to a block of dense cable that will then fork out into smaller cables. Between those two P2P's the 32 channels basically count as a single one.

If you have an exceptionally large setup you'll need to use multiple P2P tunnels, one pair of P2P connectors for every 32 barrels.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Glory of Arioch posted:

Botania doesn't really have a "payoff." The gimmick of the mod is that it provides a bunch of esoteric gameplay mechanisms to automate, and the fun is building the thing that automates them. Botania is really a tech mod at heart.

counterpoint, gaia gear and the mana you'll have gets you poo poo like diamond armor that never breaks, the ability to make rainbow bridges, superspeed, and also the corporea index is a storage system that you talk to toget and store stuff and doesn't require the poo poo ae2 puts you through. there's also superpotions.

for tc there's at least superweapons that can mow down hordes easily, flight, and shielding long before you get into the eldritch tab.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
TC has the shock focus

nuff said

oh if you install thaumic tinkerer you get way easier enchanting, too

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Magres posted:

TC has the shock focus

nuff said

equal trade :colbert:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
TC has dope candles, blocks and really pretty effects to many of its blocks even if it's far too much hassle to deal with to get there

It's like the Immersive Engineering of magic mods

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mr. Peepers posted:

equal trade :colbert:

botania has equal trade too (not as precise as TC's)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

TC has the shock focus

nuff said

oh if you install thaumic tinkerer you get way easier enchanting, too

counterpoint: TC is the most unfun thing ever in minecraft, rivaling even gregtech

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I like TC a lot but I'll admit one of its biggest weaknesses is having a progression up its tech tree that is both the Correct And Easy way to do things and also not at all obvious at first glance. That method being bee-lining towards centi-Vis tech and finding a good node to put it on, followed by making a Thaumatorium and then an alchemy golem. Following those 3 steps in order makes the mod significantly easier to do stuff in as it removes much of the hassle of using the arcane worktable, crucible, and alchemical furnace.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Taffer posted:

counterpoint: TC is the most unfun thing ever in minecraft, rivaling even gregtech

Omg, there were people above i was going to quote but i have to dropa big gently caress you here :)

a swarm of tiny little tallow golems with glasses and top hats is not unfun!!!. (broken at times perhaps, a bitch to set up/fix if something goes wrong, yes)

TC, shock focus is good, Equal trade is soooooo good.

The easy enchanting through T tinkering is holy.

The warp effects of forbidden knowledge is pretty cool (not unnatural hunger though, that sucks)

And the research minigame is ok. (though i am seeing in regrowth its toned down to the point where you just need the points to buy them and not use paper)

(the jars upon jars of essense really give that made scientist feel until you get ae2 storage up. Never knowing if you have the right stuff. Stuffing up your first few alchemy is actually good, i like how your not a master at it right away. Stuffing up infusion until you have a godly altar set up the same)

Now onto regrowth.

How the gently caress am i meant to suvive the nether to get the basic ores?

For some reason there are now about 4 portals in the over world that all lead to the 1 portal i originally made. Stepping into it gets me swarmed by
zombies
skeletons
retarded dogs
spiders
and i wont go un aggro loving pigmen.

its like all the crap in the overwolrd is walking through these portals and waiting for me to spawn.

And what is the mining progression?
I made a allium, the pink- pickaxe and it doesnt do obsidian....... I should beable to make some equipment that is close to top by now...

(i cant remember why i dont have thauimiun ingots yet. Oh i do. Im waiting to make an automated alchemy so i dont have to put stuff in using Q. And i cant get the order on my wand to make the vis things.... god.

My plan was to make a thaumin pickaxe and destory the other portals appearing. so i can make a new portal somewhere else that isnt linked to the one portal int he nether so i dont keep getting slaughtered at spawn in the nether..... so i rage quit. gah.)

And without signulium (spelling) what should an xbow limb be made out of? (in regrowth)

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
TC would be a ton better if the research / scanning thing wasn't so poo poo, you had more than two ways to manage vis for infusion, and if it was reasonable to automate infusion. The parts of the mod are cool, you just never feel like you're getting anywhere with the tedium after a certain point.

Also, so of the add-ons are cool as gently caress.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Carados posted:

TC would be a ton better if the research / scanning thing wasn't so poo poo, you had more than two ways to manage vis for infusion, and if it was reasonable to automate infusion. The parts of the mod are cool, you just never feel like you're getting anywhere with the tedium after a certain point.

Also, so of the add-ons are cool as gently caress.

Maybe if once you got googles of revealing new items auto scanned?

I dont mind the manual infusion (it's pretty simple once the AE2 box is above the altar and everything actually works) but yeah, knocking over 5 or 10 of the same thing as an infusion is a bit bollocky.

And yes, the add ons for TC really do fix some of the problems.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

For Regrowth, make Botania's Rod of the Shifting Crust, then use it to equal trade nether ores for dirt. (Carrying a Rod of the Lands will supply the Rod of the Shifting Crust with an infinite amount of dirt.) Doing this still pisses off the pigmen. Using this method lets you completely bypass the material hardness progression of Regrowth.

One way to make the nether less hostile is to brew a Vanity's Emptiness potion using Botania's Botanical Brewery. While you have the effect, no monsters will spawn. I also like the Rod of the Skies for traversing the Nether's irritating verticality.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Glory of Arioch posted:

For Regrowth, make Botania's Rod of the Shifting Crust, then use it to equal trade nether ores for dirt. (Carrying a Rod of the Lands will supply the Rod of the Shifting Crust with an infinite amount of dirt.) Doing this still pisses off the pigmen. Using this method lets you completely bypass the material hardness progression of Regrowth.

I don't know if it still works but back when I was playing I just used a redstone engine with a Stripes pipe to break the block automatically. It didn't annoy the pigmen either, but it may have been patched out because I played back before the update which made the Dreamworld more livable.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I immediately blocked off my portal nether-side and dug into the ground / side of a mountain and hollowed it out with a hammer until I found the ores I needed. As long as it's lit, it's mining monster-free!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Meskhenet posted:

The warp effects of forbidden knowledge is pretty cool (not unnatural hunger though, that sucks)

Oh hi, it's the only other person who actually likes the warp effects.

Yeah, after hearing about how "bad" warp was I held off on forbidden knowledge, but now that I've delved into it they're honestly kinda fun. :shobon: They're more wacky than anything, and it's pretty entertaining to suddenly have a billion bats explode out of your body. I can see the unnatural hunger effect getting annoying, but I'll admit I enjoyed the slow dawning realization the first time when I saw that regular food wasn't working and my eyes fell upon the rotten flesh in my inventory. :unsmigghh:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
there was a mod that made a warp effect of nearby inventories are shuffled randomly

never played with warp on again

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Sounds like i need to die repeatedly while placing dirt about the portal till it is safe to mine under it.

Still not sure im at all interested in trying though. (and it doesnt stop all the other spawn fromt he over world walking into the portal and waiting for me.)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

Yeah, after hearing about how "bad" warp was I held off on forbidden knowledge, but now that I've delved into it they're honestly kinda fun. :shobon: They're more wacky than anything, and it's pretty entertaining to suddenly have a billion bats explode out of your body. I can see the unnatural hunger effect getting annoying, but I'll admit I enjoyed the slow dawning realization the first time when I saw that regular food wasn't working and my eyes fell upon the rotten flesh in my inventory. :unsmigghh:

There was a mod made by a goon by the name of "warp theory", and that was nice except when it crashed everything, but I agree, the only part I don't like is the un-natrual hunger, maybe someone who knows modding can make a "warp config" mod or something.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

There was a mod made by a goon by the name of "warp theory", and that was nice except when it crashed everything, but I agree, the only part I don't like is the un-natrual hunger, maybe someone who knows modding can make a "warp config" mod or something.

the problem is that permanent warp can never be recovered from - the only option is to put it in that head in a jar or whatever to store warp,

What is needed is a legal way (but expensive) to remove warp, maybe some form of capsule you use instead of a bed to remove a small amount of permanent warp - by converting it to centivis.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

the problem is that permanent warp can never be recovered from - the only option is to put it in that head in a jar or whatever to store warp,

What is needed is a legal way (but expensive) to remove warp, maybe some form of capsule you use instead of a bed to remove a small amount of permanent warp - by converting it to centivis.

From what ive read you dont get the effects of warp unless you have used something with warp recently. Which means if you use the bath salts you are removing the effects (even though you still are fully infected).

If your playing with stuff that has warp on it, well i guess thats part of the payoff.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

From what ive read you dont get the effects of warp unless you have used something with warp recently. Which means if you use the bath salts you are removing the effects (even though you still are fully infected).

If your playing with stuff that has warp on it, well i guess thats part of the payoff.

I was given someone's knowledge book and every 5 minutes i was getting random effect even though i hadnt done any TC. Once you have too much it happens whether you like it or not, Luckily i had FLORA and that Axe made out of unstable ingots

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My understanding of it is that what happens is you get a like 'warp debt' that corresponds to how many events you owe the game. Once enough warp events happen, they stop happening until you gain more warp, at which point your warp debt is entirely reset.

So if you get, say 50 points of warp, then suffer enough warp events to pay off 50 points of 'warp debt' then get another point of warp, you now have 51 points of warp debt. Afaik there's no differentiation between the different kinds of warp other than how hard they are to get rid of.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does seem like it encourages the mental wizard playstyle whereby you end up stuck in a tower surrounded by horrible mutant crap, covered in wards and constantly snorting bath salts to keep the voices out of your head.

Of all the minecraft mods I like thaumcraft because it does a good job of pushing you towards a certain theme by virtue of its mechanics.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

dijon du jour posted:

Heeeey! I like Warp too! :saddowns:

Also in the case of unnatural hunger and the circle i played with, for a time we thought you needed to eat brains to clear the hunger. Oh dear!

The only "problem" i have with warp is that some of the effects cant be gotten out of with clever gameplay, which is a shame. Sunscorned? Retreating deep underground clears it faster. Withering Gaze? Just wear shades. :frogc00l:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

hey its me with more botania sperging

botania has a potion that gives you warp ward, set up a system to autocraft those and then drink em like a goon mows down mt dew

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Thaumcraft 2 was the good Thaumcraft :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Thaumcraft is super neat and thematically cool but it really doesn't play well with other mods. In a big pack you either do Thaumcraft, or you do literally everything else, and you wind up with not much more to show for it (most of its big payoffs are kind of self-serving). It absolutely wins for pure style but it's really better played on its own where its the only focus.