Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I picked up DQ6 for the first time recently and oh my god there's so many random encounters, I can't take more than 5 steps before I'm ambushed and Ashlynn is dead again, so back to town I go, right now I am inside Murdaw's Castle just after getting the boat and I've had to leave twice to run back to a town to restock on supplies due to constant fights wearing out my entire bags worth of supplies and all my MP.

It's a fun game though but, good lord does it like its random encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

3 seems like a logical progression from the first two games in a series that was borrowing wholesale from Ultima.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

wocobob posted:

DQ9 complaining update: just killed Corvus!

That was fun as hell. I ended up spending my evening last night getting my Minstrel some extra agility and max swords by leveling him a bunch in Thief, then blew through all the way to Corvus. My party ended up as [my name] (level 39 minstrel/30 thief, Espella (level 44 mage), Whack (level 45 martial artist) and Smack (level 45 warrior). The Corvus fight was super tense, but I managed to get through it after three losses, using a combination of constant four-hit falcon blade falcon slashes from Smack, a solid 2k-damage max tension Oomphed Flailing Nails from Whack, and a perfectly timed Yggdrasil Drops, blowing him out before he ever had the chance to use Magic Burst.

I think I'm officially a Dragon Quest Fan now. Which other ones have the closest systems to 9? How much of a culture shock would it be for me to start playing the Zenithian trilogy after this?
3 is dated, and you didn't really like the class system. Try 5 instead. See how you like that compared to 9.

edit: almost all Dragon Quests play the same, so the biggest difference between the games are those things like 9's class system. If you otherwise liked the game you could pick up almost anything else in the series and enjoy it; understanding it has been a very long slow refinement process to get to 9.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

wocobob posted:

There's no easily available modern remake of 3 except the phone one, right? I'd probably be down to try it out, but I don't think it's available on DS/3DS.

The phone one is pretty good, but if you can appreciate the art style, I much prefer the GBC release. The viewable area is a bit smaller though, which seems to bug some people.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

The SFC translation of 3 is great and easily found and emulated, but I'd still recommend DQ5 as the best-of-series.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

smh at people recommending 5 over 4.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The mobile versions of Dragon Quests 1 through 6 are the best versions available in English, or at least tied for it, unless you really really (really) hate touch controls and/or do not love puns. Mobile 3 is somewhat compromised due to the lack of pachisi and animated enemy sprites, but the new translation makes up for it in this one man's opinion. With 7 and 8, that distinction will likely to go the 3DS versions.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Potsticker posted:

smh at people recommending 5 over 4.

Isn't that basically everyone (including Japan) though? 5 is just a better game than 4, even if 4 was solid as a rock.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

pyromance posted:

Isn't that basically everyone (including Japan) though? 5 is just a better game than 4, even if 4 was solid as a rock.

I can understand if people like the game better, but for someone who just came off of 9 wanting to play other games like it in the series I would recommend 2 over 5! I didn't because they didn't like the grinding parts of 9, but seriously 5 moved so far away from the rest of the series that 5, 6 & 7 may well as be a different series.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Potsticker posted:

I can understand if people like the game better, but for someone who just came off of 9 wanting to play other games like it in the series I would recommend 2 over 5! I didn't because they didn't like the grinding parts of 9, but seriously 5 moved so far away from the rest of the series that 5, 6 & 7 may well as be a different series.

I'm not making recommendations on which game I like better. wocobob was all but intentionally ignoring the class change system of 9, so I'm looking at the other end of the spectrum.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kiggles posted:

I'm not making recommendations on which game I like better. wocobob was all but intentionally ignoring the class change system of 9, so I'm looking at the other end of the spectrum.

Right, which is why 4 is a good suggestion. If wocobob is then like "hey it turns out Id much rather have lovely stories to follow," then they can move on to 5 and so on.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Play Dragon Quest V if you want to marry your choice of anime girl (except you get pumished if you marry the wrong one, but its okay the correct one is on the cover so it's not too difficult!)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You don't get a weak character with the wrong choice in the DS remake but the game is blatant as hell about who it wants you to pick.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Play Dragon Quest V if you'd rather read a generic shonen manga about a boy growing up rather than play a videogame.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
As someone who's read a lot of dumb shonen, DQV is definitely not shonen.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Play Dragon Quest V if you'd rather read a generic shonen manga about a boy growing up rather than play a videogame.

What does this even mean

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Like, yeah there's some more story than previous Dragon Quest games but you're still gonna spend the bulk of your playtime going around and fighting monsters!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Srice posted:

What does this even mean

Hyperbole that illustrates my stance on why I think V is a bad DQ game.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

As someone who's read a lot of dumb shonen, DQV is definitely not shonen.

You must be so proud.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Turns out I was already at the start of the fourth chapter in my DQ4 cartridge, and forgot about it. Guess my decision was made for me!

I might take a few days to collect some 3D Land star coins or something to decompress, though. That was a lot of RPG.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Hyperbole that illustrates my stance on why I think V is a bad DQ game.

That's a p weird way to approach it since it's still fairly light on the story and heavy on gameplay, especially compared to its peers from the same era.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Srice posted:

That's a p weird way to approach it since it's still fairly light on the story and heavy on gameplay, especially compared to its peers from the same era.

The comparison is to the earlier games in the same series, and also to 9.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Potsticker posted:

You must be so proud.

Bow down before the professor of dumb shonen

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I guess my disconnect is the statement that 5 moved far away from the series since dang, as someone who really likes the series it just feels like a game that evolved with the times, while keeping that consistent DQ gameplay.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Bow down before the professor of dumb shonen

:worship:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I still have the original GB color of DQ3. I assume it still works.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

It's a surprisingly good port so I hope it does!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Srice posted:

I guess my disconnect is the statement that 5 moved far away from the series since dang, as someone who really likes the series it just feels like a game that evolved with the times, while keeping that consistent DQ gameplay.

Would you disagree that 9 is more similar to earlier entries than it is to 5 and that's why I think it's silly to recommend 5 to someone who just came off of enjoying 9 compared to those earlier entries?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Would you disagree that 9 is more similar to earlier entries than it is to 5 and that's why I think it's silly to recommend 5 to someone who just came off of enjoying 9 compared to those earlier entries?

Eh, with 9 in particular I think there are more post-NES games that could fit the bill honestly. 3 of course has the class system but 6 and 7 have it as a huge aspect. And while 8 doesn't, it does have a nice degree of character customization wrt skill point stuff.

I feel like 4 and 5 play fairly similarly gameplay-wise insomuch as you get characters with set roles for the most part (I guess 5 has monster recruitment but smh if you don't roll with your entire family late game).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tae posted:

I hope so! That game was so good.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
How does the party system work in the later pre-9 games (6, 7, 8)? Do they have rotating casts, or is it one main party of characters throughout the game?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wocobob posted:

How does the party system work in the later pre-9 games (6, 7, 8)? Do they have rotating casts, or is it one main party of characters throughout the game?

I haven't played 7 but in 5 and 6 you have a roster of characters that you can change around, as well as being able to recruit monsters. Though with 5 once you get into the last third or so there is definitely a party combination the game expects you to have since the monsters complement your party more than anything else at that point. 8 has a set party of four, but in the 3DS version you get two additional characters.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Srice posted:

(I guess 5 has monster recruitment but smh if you don't roll with your entire family late game).

But...the monsters are like your family. Eh, I used the whole family end game, too, but by the time that's possible, the wagon is available pretty much 24/7 as I recall. Playing monster tag team as the situation changes is also fun.

Also, goddamn is the main character's life depressing until the last, like, tenth of the game.

4 was always my favorite DQ, probably mostly for nostalgia. Glad to see it actually was a good game. Didn't the remakes let you control the rest of the party in ch 5? I remember only being able to set tactics in the original for all but the main character. Made Kiryl's high tension attack in DQH that much funnier to me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Potsticker has really awful opinions.

I mean 4's good, but 5 kind of blew me away when I first played it in 2010 because of how much of a gutpunch the game was. So much so that moving on to 6 and especially 7 kind of soured me on the series because they just didn't stack up to 5 or even 4 for that matter, since alongside DQ 2 I think they're amongst the weakest titles in the series.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

EDIT: Internet doesn't need more slap fights.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 16, 2015

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
5 is a really cool multigenerational story and also a cool Dragon Quest story (ie: go around helping people in mostly unrelated scenarios and make vague progress towards the final boss). Idk why it's a bad DQ game since it's still a chill JRPG adventure, but people having different opinions is cool too. That's my Dragon Quest Opinion.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Skunkrocker posted:

Look, you're gonna have to grind. Period. In both DWM and DWM 2 I breezed through the game for the most part UNTIL I got to the final bosses... which all kicked all of my rear end multiple times. You just gotta grind until you can't grind anymore and then keep grinding another ten levels just to be sure, and then probably still lose. :smith:

I don't remember having to grind for final bosses in DWM/DWM2 but maybe I just did enough due to exploring. The post game though? That's some grindy poo poo. At least DWM2 has the boss worlds where you couldn't catch anything but all the fights gave a ton of XP. Unlike DQM Joker, where you had to hope to find metal kings in the final dungeon or some such awfulness (or slime hill in DQ9 unless you got the locker map from someone).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If I wanted to play my way through the Dragon Quest series, would you recommend the Super Famicom or GBC versions of I and II?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Whichever graphics you like better.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Whoever wanted to know which Dragon Quest game to play, the answer is III. III is a really good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

If I wanted to play my way through the Dragon Quest series, would you recommend the Super Famicom or GBC versions of I and II?

The snes versions are less grindy

Tho heck even with that, 2 is still a slog most of the time