Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Two Finger posted:

If you want something done right, you need someone who's a good kind

Don't forget Gor :whip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I just started this series. I'm on chapter 9 I think of my The Great Hunt audio book. They are crossing a river in pursuit of the Trollocs, Fade, and "something worse" that stole the horn. Everyone seems dead as hell because there's noone in this little village. Sounds pretty creepy guys I sure hope they do not camp in this town and the something worse eats Ingtar or Rand or whatever.

Dave_Indeed fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 14, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dave_Indeed posted:

I just started this series. I'm on chapter 9 I think of my The Great Hunt audio book. They are crossing a river in pursuit of the Trollocs, Fade, and "something worse" that stole the horn. Everyone seems dead as hell because there's noone in this little village. Sounds pretty creepy guys I sure hope they do not camp in this town and the something worse eats Ingtar or Rand or whatever.

That village is really creepy, yeah. I distinctly remember the time-loop thingy being pretty disturbing.

I'm a bit envious of people that are starting the series now that it's finished, who don't have to wait years for the next books.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Torrannor posted:

That village is really creepy, yeah. I distinctly remember the time-loop thingy being pretty disturbing.

I'm a bit envious of people that are starting the series now that it's finished, who don't have to wait years for the next books.

But they don't get the crazy speculation and arguments about how the series will end.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

fordan posted:

But they don't get the crazy speculation and arguments about how the series will end.

My favorite first read thing was being convinced Thom was dark friend for the first 1/3 of EOTW. He just knew too much and showed up too conveniently :tinfoil:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Torrannor posted:

I dunno I don't think I will ever finish the series, book 7+ just get so tedious I went to read Malazan, sure it doesn't make sense, but cool poo poo happens there instead of hair braid tugging.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
you're missing out (book 9 sucks tho)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

I dunno I don't think I will ever finish the series, book 7+ just get so tedious I went to read Malazan, sure it doesn't make sense, but cool poo poo happens there instead of hair braid tugging.

It gets good again.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I believe you mean book 10, but that's not a problem because book 11 is right around the corner.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Book 10 was the one that killed the series for me. I started reading WOT right before Lord of Chaos was released, but book 10 came out when I was in college and I just couldn't finish it. I think that was the one with the 100 page prologue, right?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dunbar posted:

Book 10 was the one that killed the series for me. I started reading WOT right before Lord of Chaos was released, but book 10 came out when I was in college and I just couldn't finish it. I think that was the one with the 100 page prologue, right?

Book 10 actually begins to resolve things, it's a shame that you couldn't finish it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

When books 8-11 came out I was often frustrated that things weren't happening. When I was re-reading them I noticed that it wasn't that they weren't happening, but I would be caring more about some plotlines than others and then had to wait years for progress. On a re-read I didn't have that problem so it was much more enjoyable. Knife of Dreams really turned up the speed, I imagine that Jordan could have finished in 14 as easily as Sanderson.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Atlas Hugged posted:

I believe you mean book 10, but that's not a problem because book 11 is right around the corner.

nah I meant book 9 and all its boring and whiny Perrin chapters

conversely I really liked book 5 with all it's no-Perrin-at-all chapters

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Torrannor posted:

Book 10 actually begins to resolve things, it's a shame that you couldn't finish it.

Book 10 was (and is widely panned as) the worst book in the series. Basically everyone sat around all book and decided to do something... next book.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pash posted:

Book 10 was (and is widely panned as) the worst book in the series. Basically everyone sat around all book and decided to do something... next book.

It's Amazon Customer reviews are p. good: http://www.amazon.com/Crossroads-Tw...ads+at+twilight

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Pash posted:

Book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight) works, but only if you smush it together with Book 11 (Knife of Dreams) and can read them as essentially one really long book and don't have to wait 2 years.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The slog is books 8 through most of 10. After that, it owns.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If the whole Perrin and Faile thingdidn't happen there would be like three fewer books in the series. Or that space could have been filled with something actually interesting, like more PoV Forsaken chapters.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I wish my parents hadn't given all my Wheel of Time books to goodwill when I went to college :(

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Mad Hamish posted:

If the whole Perrin and Faile thingdidn't happen there would be like three fewer books in the series. Or that space could have been filled with something actually interesting, like more PoV Forsaken chapters.

Hey man that's not fair, Perrin was awesome (in the Two Rivers campaign).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Blind Melon posted:

Yeeeep. IMO The Shadow Rising is the best book in the series. But even then some of Perrin and Faile's interactions were grating and bad. It would have been awesome if Perrin spent the next book or two in the Two Rivers playing Lord of the Land. The glimpses of the transformation we get of Emond's Field from quiet little village to bustling town were pretty neat!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Arrath posted:

Yeeeep. IMO The Shadow Rising is the best book in the series. But even then someall of Perrin and Faile's interactions were grating and bad.

Fixed that for you.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Blind Melon posted:

They should have gone straight from saving two rivers to full on Tai'shan Manetheren, and then he and Mat and the Red Hand could have spent 5 books being total bros and actually fixing the world while Rand fucks around and goes insane.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

The slog is books 8 through most of 10. After that, it owns.

I honestly am still not entirely sure if Book 11 was good or if it was just so much better than the drivel that was book 10 that I thought it was amazing... but ya... It's all uphill from book 10.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Pash posted:

I honestly am still not entirely sure if Book 11 was good or if it was just so much better than the drivel that was book 10 that I thought it was amazing... but ya... It's all uphill from book 10.

I really liked 11. Book 10 was also okay if you just read Mat's parts. Because really, his story is the only important one.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What really bugs me is the "Oh okay we invented travelling again thats cool, but let me just plop you down five weeks from where you are going so we don't accidentally slice off someones arm or something."

or the

"Hey we found this thing that will fix the weather and make sure we don't all die and we just need some help from you.. wait you want to bargain for this? Okay lets just throw all reason into the wind and agree to a bunch of silly poo poo"

or the "it hasn't rained for like half a year and the heat is extreme and somehow everything everywhere isn't dead already"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
but mostly its the interactions between people.

in fact i just decided to treat this as a sci fi movie. They are all aliens. Each and every one. This whole story takes place on an alien world filled with alien people and that is why nobody actually behaves in a human like fashion.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Affi posted:

What really bugs me is the "Oh okay we invented travelling again thats cool, but let me just plop you down five weeks from where you are going so we don't accidentally slice off someones arm or something."

or the

"Hey we found this thing that will fix the weather and make sure we don't all die and we just need some help from you.. wait you want to bargain for this? Okay lets just throw all reason into the wind and agree to a bunch of silly poo poo"

or the "it hasn't rained for like half a year and the heat is extreme and somehow everything everywhere isn't dead already"

WoT makes a lot more sense once you realize it is an anime script without the illustrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Affi posted:

gently caress the Seafolk, they're the biggest assholes in a series full of a lot of assholes.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I wish my parents hadn't given all my Wheel of Time books to goodwill when I went to college :(

What the what... why?!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cartoon Man posted:

gently caress the Seafolk, they're the biggest assholes in a series full of a lot of assholes.

A thousand times, this.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ShadowCatboy posted:

What the what... why?!

they have good taste

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Cartoon Man posted:

It's just poor writing. They aren't the "OMYGOD BEST TRADERS EVER!" if you just have people accept dumb poo poo they do and say.

1. Everything is dying.

2. This thing can save everyone.

They say. Yeah you came to us so that means you need this (???) more then we so you have to give us something for it.

What? I just came to your burning home with a fire extinguisher, but I need your help to operate it, and you want me to pay you for it?

The most irritating thing about this is the solution would be so simple. The Athan'Miere want the bowl of the winds. Just give them that and call it even. Its way more then they should get anyway.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Affi posted:

It's just poor writing. They aren't the "OMYGOD BEST TRADERS EVER!" if you just have people accept dumb poo poo they do and say.

1. Everything is dying.

2. This thing can save everyone.

They say. Yeah you came to us so that means you need this (???) more then we so you have to give us something for it.

What? I just came to your burning home with a fire extinguisher, but I need your help to operate it, and you want me to pay you for it?

The most irritating thing about this is the solution would be so simple. The Athan'Miere want the bowl of the winds. Just give them that and call it even. Its way more then they should get anyway.

They're just being rational actors, though. If you lose and the wheel is destroyed then nothing matters, so you should take "yep we won we saved the world" as fait accompli and negotiate up from there.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Affi posted:

No, it's nothing like this at all because, in this scenario you can just take your fire extinguisher back home and let my house burn down.

In the book, the Seafolk know that they've got the world over a barrel, so they force concessions out of them because they know the other side has no choice and has to pay.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The Sea Folk are part of the world too though, they are equally over the same barrel.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

rchandra posted:

The Sea Folk are part of the world too though, they are equally over the same barrel.

It's worse than that, really, because the Sea Folk are trying to extort long term concessions in exchange for a one shot, immediate solution that they were going to provide anyway. If literally anyone else had acted remotely rationally, the day after the Bowl of Winds was used the Aes Sedai would have immediately responded with "Oops, turns out Angry Girl and Spoiled Brat, while never actually technically lying, weren't acting in their capacity as duly vested and appointed bargaining representatives of the White Tower at the time and our deal is now null and void. Thanks for fixing the weather, now gently caress off, you half-wit pirate hedge-witches."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's worse than that, really, because the Sea Folk are trying to extort long term concessions in exchange for a one shot, immediate solution that they were going to provide anyway. If literally anyone else had acted remotely rationally, the day after the Bowl of Winds was used the Aes Sedai would have immediately responded with "Oops, turns out Angry Girl and Spoiled Brat, while never actually technically lying, weren't acting in their capacity as duly vested and appointed bargaining representatives of the White Tower at the time and our deal is now null and void. Thanks for fixing the weather, now gently caress off, you half-wit pirate hedge-witches."

The Aes Sedai were beginning to realize that the world was full of organized channelers that had gone unnoticed by them for centuries. The Knitting Circle, the Wise Ones, the Windfinders, etc. Combine that with the Black Tower and you the general "gently caress the Aes Sedai" mindset of a significant amount of the world and you get a fairly bad time for the White Tower to be throwing their weight around, especially over a set of concessions that were, IIRC, fairly minor in the long run and mostly damaging to their pride.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Basically the only fun Aes Sedai to read about was Verin... so having them continue to do dumb things with the bowl of wind was hardly surprising... if still dumb...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They can't do that without literally countermanding a command from the Amyrlin seat. It's the same reason Elayne is able to argue for Nynaeve and her's authority over the Aes Sedai.

I think a 26 year old and an 18 year old bargaining with people who know they are the only people in the world who can provide the required service are probably going to get taken to town. Hell, even Merana (who is actually surprisingly competent) gets taken to town without Rand there to gently caress everyone up with his Ta'veren powers.

• Locked thread