Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Slavvy posted:

Why is it that every pundit talks about The Public like it's separate to them and then moans about not engaging with The Public, stuff not being in The Public consciousness etc etc. It's like saying you're stuck in traffic whilst sitting in the car and pretending you aren't traffic.

How would you say it instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Exclamation Marx posted:

Prime Minister John Key says drug dependency is a major contributor to poverty in New Zealand, as a damning new report claims that one in three Kiwi children are living in hardship.

The report by the Child Commissioner suggests that poverty in New Zealand is much worse now than it was in the 1980s.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11561896

badass

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Meanwhile, stoned gang leaders are actually out there making school lunches and feeding kids.

WHO IS HEEL, WHO IS BABYFACE, IT'S SO HARD TO TELL

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Weird how drugs are making people poor, and not regressive low-income punishing taxes.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The child poverty figures are so loving depressing. Hopefully the fact that it's gone from one in four to one in three in the space of an election cycle means the govt can't ignore it any more. They'll certainly try to find excuses, but whether they blame it on drug use or beneficiary dependency or whatever else, they have to admit something is getting worse under them.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I think you'll find it's the fault of the previous Labour government

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It feels like everyone I talk to about the issue is stuck in the 80s, when either they raised their kids, or when they were kids. It just never seriously occurs to them that things might actually be different for young families now, and that the kind of budgeting that worked in 1987 would fall flat on its face now.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

fong posted:

The child poverty figures are so loving depressing. Hopefully the fact that it's gone from one in four to one in three in the space of an election cycle means the govt can't ignore it any more. They'll certainly try to find excuses, but whether they blame it on drug use or beneficiary dependency or whatever else, they have to admit something is getting worse under them.

They will blame it on it being a measure related to income rather than material hardship.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Isn't one in three in poverty the same as African Americans? That's crazy.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

chaos rhames posted:

Isn't one in three in poverty the same as African Americans? That's crazy.

I'm guessing America has a different threshold, but lol if you don't also think it's going to be way worse for Maori & Pasifika

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Taitale posted:

They will blame it on it being a measure related to income rather than material hardship.

Key did, in the interview. He also said it wasn't "dheli-style" poverty which I found distastefuil for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, they measure it by "checking some boxes, can the eat red meat, can they buy xmas presents" <-- paraphrasing obviously.

The whole "its drugs fault" is hosed because that was the only factor he brought up - he goes "now I am not saying all beneficiaries are on drug, but beneficiaries are on drugs and that is stopping them getting jobs". Why would you bring it up if you didn't think it was a major factor unless you are a weasel and trying to get that notion stuck in the Zeitgeist without having to actually to assert it?

Maybe, people do drugs because they don't have a job? Maybe, doing drugs shouldn't lock you out of the job market and drug tests are not appropriate for most jobs? Maybe, drugs laws are racist because only the white persons drugs are legal?

Also, Exclamation Marx's post was interesting - 22 out of 8000 is 0.27%

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

He's human poo poo-sack Sean Plunket.

Is he that fuckstick that (used to be?) on Newstalk ZB?

I remember him ringing up a call centre and ripping into the poor girl working there during that story about Wicked Campers then accusing callers of strawmanning when they asked what the actual point of him doing that was

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Pararoid posted:

It feels like everyone I talk to about the issue is stuck in the 80s, when either they raised their kids, or when they were kids. It just never seriously occurs to them that things might actually be different for young families now, and that the kind of budgeting that worked in 1987 would fall flat on its face now.

Our whole culture is kinda still stuck in a mid-80's "life goes on..." attitude post-Rogernomics I reckon

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

klen dool posted:

The whole "its drugs fault" is hosed because that was the only factor he brought up - he goes "now I am not saying all beneficiaries are on drug, but beneficiaries are on drugs and that is stopping them getting jobs". Why would you bring it up if you didn't think it was a major factor unless you are a weasel and trying to get that notion stuck in the Zeitgeist without having to actually to assert it?

It's irrelevant anyway because there is no way 1 in 3 children in this country are children of unemployed beneficiaries.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
*every other country in the world starts relaxing weed laws* GUYS ITS ALL THE DEVIL WEED MAKING CHILDREN SUFFER IN POVERTY!!!!

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Taitale posted:

It's irrelevant anyway because there is no way 1 in 3 children in this country are children of unemployed beneficiaries.

That's a really good point. I wonder what that stats are on children in poverty where a parent is working?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

klen dool posted:

Also, Exclamation Marx's post was interesting - 22 out of 8000 is 0.27%
Please note that is an article from Jan 2014, only a few months after drug testing begun. The total number at the end of the first year of the programme was 29,890 with only 47 failing. (You might note in the article that the Ministry tries to roll in "refusal to submit" as a failure stat) https://fyi.org.nz/request/1863/response/6627/attach/2/Harris%20Alex%20Final%20Response%20dated%2027%20August%202014.pdf

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

klen dool posted:

That's a really good point. I wonder what that stats are on children in poverty where a parent is working?

2/5

Ghostlight posted:

Please note that is an article from Jan 2014, only a few months after drug testing begun. The total number at the end of the first year of the programme was 29,890 with only 47 failing. (You might note in the article that the Ministry tries to roll in "refusal to submit" as a failure stat) https://fyi.org.nz/request/1863/response/6627/attach/2/Harris%20Alex%20Final%20Response%20dated%2027%20August%202014.pdf

Even if you include the refused numbers it works out to 0.4%

exmarx fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 16, 2015

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

2/5

Even if you include the refused numbers it works out to 0.4%

2/5. John Key is such a oval office.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Exclamation Marx posted:

Prime Minister John Key says drug dependency is a major contributor to poverty in New Zealand, as a damning new report claims that one in three Kiwi children are living in hardship.

The report by the Child Commissioner suggests that poverty in New Zealand is much worse now than it was in the 1980s.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11561896

badass

Where are these kids getting all these drugs

Lemme tell you, I could use a puff or two

Time to stalk playgrounds again I guess.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The thing about the poverty figures is that even if they dispute the threshold, they can't dispute the trend. The equivocation over whether it's the same kind of poverty seen elsewhere is just so lovely because it fundamentally accepts or dismisses growing inequality. And not growing inequality in the sense of the top gaining wealth faster than everyone else, but in the sense of the bottom growing and going backwards.

I don't think many people in NZ will accept this if they understand it. For all its faults New Zealand does have a fairly firmly entrenched belief that everyone deserves the same basic standards.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Don't worry when all these drug addled kids grow up they'll murder the rich while on the Jazz cigarettes

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

fong posted:

I don't think many people in NZ will accept this if they understand it. For all its faults New Zealand does have a fairly firmly entrenched belief that everyone deserves the same basic standards.

I don't think this is true anymore.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Yeah, I've seen it argued that that's no longer the case (if it ever was???)

see:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/books/news/article.cfm?c_id=134&objectid=11541769
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/65122190/Super-rich-kids-How-the-other-half-lives

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Don't worry when all these drug addled kids grow up they'll murder the rich while on the Jazz cigarettes

I dunno man, that's what they said about me and the most I can do is shoot Exclamation Marx dirty looks

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

I can't deal
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11562067

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

This can't be real.

I refuse to accept that the prime minister of this country would do this.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

What the flying christ.

Haha, our prisoners get raped and that is funny and acceptable to our Prime loving Minister bec*bam* DEAD CAT ON THE DESK

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

some shithead posted:

A lively, good-natured AUT Communications graduate, Lai enjoys volunteering and will buy homeless people food and post pictures on her Facebook to inspire friends to do the same.
Working in promotions for Red Bull, Lai gets frustrated by stereotypes of rich kids: "I don't like that people think I'm just lucky and I've been given everything I have because I've worked quite hard to get where I am, just like everyone else."

I don't really hate the rich, accident of birth and all that, but Jesus Christ how do people like this even exist?

ledge posted:

This can't be real.

I refuse to accept that the prime minister of this country would do this.

It's real all right: http://www.radiolive.co.nz/WATCH-John-Key-please-pick-up-the-soap---Prime-Minister-visits-The-Rock/tabid/504/articleID/110127/Default.aspx

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 16, 2015

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

gently caress this country, gently caress it up its loving arse.

emminou
May 25, 2006

The best thing about living in New Zealand is having a prime minister who never hesitates to show his utter disdain for rape victims.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Somfin posted:

What the flying christ.

Haha, our prisoners get raped and that is funny and acceptable to our Prime loving Minister bec*bam* DEAD CAT ON THE DESK

Sorry you must not have got the memo, prisoners aren't actually people.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
If it is any consolation to any of us, a person would have to be the really stupid and a barely kind of 'rich' person to allow yourself into the NZ Herald for some puff piece like that.

All the super rich we actually barely know about have lifestyles of magnitudes more opulence and indifference/ignorance of the lives of the poor

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 16, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ledge posted:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

ledge posted:

Sounds like you're one of those people THAT BACK THE RAPISTS, AND THE CHILD MOLESTERERS!(sic)

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

John Key is very bad and I am upset about it today. Why do we keep doing this

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Schwa posted:

John Key is very bad and I am upset about it today. Why do we keep doing this

I was going to go shoot up parliament but I hear we're making a NZ version of family feud and I wanna see that first.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Someone see if Simon Barnett is still alive.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Ghostlight posted:

Someone see if Simon Barnett is still alive.

I'd imagine he's too exhausted after giving his kids another thrashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Jacobin posted:

If it is any consolation to any of us, a person would have to be the really stupid and a barely kind of 'rich' person to allow yourself into the NZ Herald for some puff piece like that.

All the super rich we actually barely know about have lifestyles of magnitudes more opulence and indifference/ignorance of the lives of the poor

Oh yeah, the dollar figures that Herald article was throwing around in an effort to make the kids seem super rich were hilarious, "they took a selfie with a receipt for a HUNDRED DOLLAR bottle of bubbles" etc.

If anything it demonstrates NZ is even more parochial than you think it is already.

• Locked thread