Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shear Modulus posted:

The fact that GOP opinion-havers have incorrectly predicted Trump's demise for months, and that nobody is willing to go on the offensive except Kasich makes it look like nobody is going to actually do anything and he'll steamroll the field.

Yeah exactly. It almost feels like Biden.Run all over again where I have all the Very Serious people telling me to ignore the reality right in front of me. The guy is filling stadiums on an almost daily basis.

If he maintains this lead into the new year I'm going to start letting off my Trump.No shares. If he takes New Hampshire & South Carolina I'll liquidate.

No matter what happens I got a hell of a lot of Bush No for cheap :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What the hell is going on with this medical device tax market? It's gone from high 80s to 65 because of some language/rules weirdness.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

DEC17SHUTDOWN15 has floated up to 10/91. Is there any reason to think this week will be like 2013 rather than like last week?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
lol they really need to close out the 12/14 Gov Shutdown market, I need money to gambool tonight and I have six hundred in that

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a consensus here on the medical device tax market?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wanamingo posted:

Is there a consensus here on the medical device tax market?

My understanding is that the predictit YES prices are going up because dems might horse trade away a "pause" in the medical device tax as opposed to an outright repeal. Given this congress, any pause should be interpreted as a de facto repeal and so I don't think this is likely and that NO is undervalued right now.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Peachstapler posted:

With Iowa's GOP caucus-goers selecting such winners in recent memory as Huckabee and Santorum, Carson YES is a diamond in the rough. (I bought 316 .... because God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son).

I have 3000+ Carson YES's as well, and Cruz NO's in the 30's is a steal.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jeb dropping out before Iowa crashed, able to pick up some YES for .11 if you want. It's by far my single largest market though and can't take any more on.

The reason I still like Jeb YES: this is a market to where a single event would resolve it in my favor and not the other way around until February 1. There will definitely be speculation when a week from Iowa it's still Trump/Cruz/Rubio.

vv I still have to explain myself each time; Jeb is highly likely to be in the race come Iowa, but there will be calls for him to drop out a week or two prior and I have sell orders in around .22.

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Dec 15, 2015

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Jeb ain't dropping out before Iowa.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

Jeb dropping out before Iowa crashed, able to pick up some YES for .11 if you want. It's by far my single largest market though and can't take any more on.

The reason I still like Jeb YES: this is a market to where a single event would resolve it in my favor and not the other way around until February 1. There will definitely be speculation when a week from Iowa it's still Trump/Cruz/Rubio.

vv I still have to explain myself each time; Jeb is highly likely to be in the race come Iowa, but there will be calls for him to drop out a week or two prior and I have sell orders in around .22.

I think the price will fall slowly as Iowa gets closer and closer. No one expects him to drop out a week or two before the caucus after campaigning for the better part of the year. Iowa isn't even his target state, so even dismal Iowa polling wouldn't push him out.

You're basically hoping for a report that his campaign has gone bankrupt at this point.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Aliquid posted:

I have sell orders in around .22.

I'm glad you have a gameplan to get rid of it all before Iowa.

That way you don't lose all of it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Medical tax is now crashing because of this report

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/263255-congress-on-verge-of-major-deal-freezing-obamacare-taxes

quote:

Congress is closing in on a major tax deal expected to be unveiled Tuesday that would postpone two key ObamaCare taxes for two years.

The deal, which will cost more than $500 billion over 10 years, would postpone the "Cadillac tax" on expensive health plans and the medical device tax, according to a summary circulated Tuesday morning by negotiators.
Freezing the Cadillac tax is a top priority of labor unions, that for years have pressed Democrats to get rid of this levy. The tax imposes a 40 percent fee on health benefits above a certain threshold.

The White House has opposed repealing the tax, but officials have signaled that President Obama would not veto the package over a two-year delay.

The package includes other tax breaks backed by the president, including a permanent expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit, which was included in the 2009 stimulus bill.

The legislation would also make permanent the research and development tax credit and permanently increase Section 179, small-business expensing limits.

“We've been assured that three key tax provisions — one to make the R&D tax credit permanent, another that would allow startups to access the R&D tax credit, and another to allow the R&D credit to be claimed against the [Alternative Minimum Tax] — will be included in the extenders package," said a Senate aide.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

District Selectman posted:

Jeb ain't dropping out before Iowa.

I really wish the market had been "will he drop out before super tuesday?" That would've been a hilarious ride.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Aliquid posted:

Just keep in mind that you're playing against others who are playing this same game, not public sentiment. Why would you not instead buy the $.90 shares for the safe win? You make roughly the same amount per share.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Also- oh my god this new market. "Will CNN moderators ask candidates if they'd support Trump as nominee?" :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

During the presidential debate conducted by CNN on December 15, 2015, a moderator will ask one or more candidates, other than Donald Trump, about their intention to support or endorse Mr. Trump should he win the Republican nomination for president. A question that does not mention Mr. Trump by name, but asks one or more candidates other than Mr. Trump about their intention to support whoever wins the Republican presidential nomination, or about their commitment to the Republican National Committee Presidential Loyalty Oath, will be sufficient to cause this market to resolve as Yes.

Trump doesn’t have to be specifically mentioned.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

Just keep in mind that you're playing against others who are playing this same game, not public sentiment. Why would you not instead buy the $.90 shares for the safe win? You make roughly the same amount per share.

Just a note, the amount made per share isn't really the gold standard. It's amount made relative to amount invested. So buying at 5 and selling at 20 cents is way more efficient than buying at 85 and getting the $1 end of market payout. (None of these numbers are meant to be predictive of what will happen in the Bush dropout market.)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nachos posted:

My understanding is that the predictit YES prices are going up because dems might horse trade away a "pause" in the medical device tax as opposed to an outright repeal. Given this congress, any pause should be interpreted as a de facto repeal and so I don't think this is likely and that NO is undervalued right now.

Right after I put in $8 on NO, too. That's enough for a decent lunch :argh:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Vox Nihili posted:

Just a note, the amount made per share isn't really the gold standard. It's amount made relative to amount invested. So buying at 5 and selling at 20 cents is way more efficient than buying at 85 and getting the $1 end of market payout. (None of these numbers are meant to be predictive of what will happen in the Bush dropout market.)

Oh yeah definitely I'm just pointing out there's still good money to be made on the way safer side. Essentially looking at a very risky 100% return vs. 11% and almost guaranteed.

I'm just really risk-averse :shobon:

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Aliquid posted:

I found you in BUSH.DROPOUT.IA

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

"Will Democrat nominee win at least 370 electoral votes" (20c) is an interesting buy that may be undervalued if you consider the "Donald Trump running as 3rd party candidate" (32c) hypothesis of splitting the R ticket.

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/612/Will-the-Democratic-presidential-nominee-win-at-least-370-electoral-votes-in-2016#data

For reference, Clinton won 370 electoral votes in 1992 w/ Perot in that race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election#Electoral_college_results

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah I think that's a fair price for that market. It's a long-shot but definitely possible.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Clinton would have to carry the Middle South, which is a tall order. I don't think a third-party run will happen, which makes it harder.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Necc0 posted:

Also- oh my god this new market. "Will CNN moderators ask candidates if they'd support Trump as nominee?" :allears:

They just asked this question in the kiddie debate. All but sure they will ask it on the main stage

Edit: there is nothing in the rules that says big table. This will reslove as yes

Zeta Taskforce has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Dec 16, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Zeta Taskforce posted:

They just asked this question in the kiddie debate. All but sure they will ask it on the main stage

In the comments they're saying the rules don't specify the main debate so this market may actually have already resolved as yes.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

In the comments they're saying the rules don't specify the main debate so this market may actually have already resolved as yes.

It hasn't yet and shares are still in the mid-80s so I'd snap them up now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I own exactly one share at .78 :shobon:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

nachos posted:

It hasn't yet and shares are still in the mid-80s so I'd snap them up now

I just flipped 25 from 70 to 90, I'm going to settle for that :toot:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Edit: there is nothing in the rules that says big table. This will reslove as yes

It won't count. "The debate" has always been used to reference the big debate.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

They've used "first-tier debate" before whereas this is just "the debate"

This technically should have resolved already based on the rules in place but who knows what predictit will do

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah PredictIt kinda junked that up.

I just bought 100 shares of Kasich most speaking time fer 6 bucks, gonna see if I can flip it day-trade style during the real debate.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

PredictIt moderator just cleared it up so this market is pretty much done. First debate counts.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
Looks like PredictIt clarified that where not specified, both debates count.

quote:

This market does not specify or require the question to be asked during either the first tier or "undercard" debate. A qualifying question asked during either debate is sufficient to cause the market to resolve as Yes.

huge pile of hamburger has issued a correction as of 02:04 on Dec 16, 2015

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Vox Nihili posted:

all of the other current debate markets - speaking time, viewership, etc - specifically say "first tier," so I think predictit will have their hands tied to make it resolve Yes

e; welp

thethreeman has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Dec 16, 2015

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

nachos posted:

They've used "first-tier debate" before whereas this is just "the debate"

This technically should have resolved already based on the rules in place but who knows what predictit will do

They answered it

"This market does not specify or require the question to be asked during either the first tier or "undercard" debate. A qualifying question asked during either debate is sufficient to cause the market to resolve as Yes."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ha, crazy. Congrats to those who got in on it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
There are actually still about 1200 shares of Trump Support Yes still on the market if anyone has money free.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There are actually still about 1200 shares of Trump Support Yes still on the market if anyone has money free.
Thanks, just spent $500 to make $8.

StevePerry has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Dec 16, 2015

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone have talk time totals at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyone have talk time totals at this point?

Does Carson's coughing count?

• Locked thread