Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fordan posted:

It is stupid, but the FAA has said what they plan to do. Unfortunately they haven't done it yet. But they did get this out quickly.

I could also steal your license plates and put them on my car and run through every automated toll booth in 100 miles. Or copy your boat or airplane registration and put it on my vessel and do stupid crap since license plates are at least a little hard to copy. You'd prove it wasn't you by the fact that the drone/model in question isn't on your registration account and that you weren't there when bad-thing happened.

There is no Registration Account, you just get 1 number and apply it to all of your vehicles, do you not? Also these are hobby things, you can own a hundred of them, in boxes labelled "PARTS" and create one in a few hours on a whim. How could a list of Things You Own possibly matter to anybody? How could you ever be sure those are the only aircraft a registrant owns? It is an aircraft and it has your number on it and it was found in a state park. Now what? Obviously if the vehicle crashed in a totally different state and you're on several different gas station and ATM cameras somewhere totally different you have a leg to stand on, but what if it happens in your state and it's great you have an alibi but it is technically possible to travel to the general vicinity of the crash? Now what?

License plates are also matched to the make/model/colour of the car. Good luck doing that with a drone. "uhhh...it's black.....got like... sticks for arms? uh.....has propellers, I repeat PROPELLERS.

It would be great if everybody followed the rules but these are humans we are talking about. If there is a way to abuse a system or gently caress it up for someone else, it WILL be done, and this system seems very easy to throw a wrench into.

Nerobro posted:

Then again, i'm still shocked nobody has taken an APM, a cellular modem, and built a high speed package delivery device....
Good News, Everyone!

I think the best route for Amazon Drones would be a combination with their Pickup Locker service. Basically in larger cities, convenience stores have a bank of lockers that your amazon packages get delivered to. You can pick them up whenever and not have to worry about your neighbour signing for you or accidentally having to talk to someone. Start putting lil helipads on top of those locations and have a constant stream of stuff buzzing in.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

fordan posted:

I could also steal your license plates and put them on my car and run through every automated toll booth in 100 miles. Or copy your boat or airplane registration and put it on my vessel and do stupid crap since license plates are at least a little hard to copy. You'd prove it wasn't you by the fact that the drone/model in question isn't on your registration account and that you weren't there when bad-thing happened.

Taking someones plates IS something that happens. Boat registration is a much more complex issue, but in the case of airplanes, and the ubiquitous DJI gear, swapping registration numbers suddenly becomes believable.

With airplanes, you have about 10 airframes to worry about. Is it a 172? Great, it's a 172. Most people can't tell the difference between a 1972 and a 2015. It's something that doesn't happen commonly due to the other ramifications, and highly documented nature of FAR23 airplanes.

How many people can instantly tell you a Phantom 1 from a 2 or 3? Or a flamewheel clone kit from a DJI Flamewheel? Short of registering actual serial numbers, you're looking at a pretty complex issue.

overdesigned posted:

If a reported case of this (i.e someone is convicted/punished of deliberate theft or misuse of someone else's drone ID with intent to defraud) happens at any time in 2016 I will send you a check for $100. :toxx:

I will be surprised if someone doesn't get blamed for it, or use it as an out. But with the speed of the legal system, we'd need to talk within 2017. Then again, i'm still shocked nobody has taken an APM, a cellular modem, and built a high speed package delivery device....

EDIT: Once of these days I will stop assuming people are clever. I've got a lot of stories that relate to that tendancy of mine.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'll accept a 2017 or later conviction of an event that occurred in 2016, too. Basically I just don't see this happening, there's no gain from spoofing an ID as compared to just not registering.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
What's the general consensus on transmitters for "drones" these days? My dad has recently decided he wants to build a drone, and wants a transmitter for Christmas. I have no idea what is good these days. My dad and I have both flown airplanes and helicopters in the past, but he got rid of all his stuff ~6 years ago and I dumped mine ~3 years ago. My last radio was a Futaba 9 CAP, so that's about the newest thing I've used. Would something like a Spektrum DX6 work? I'm going off very little information here, since he just told my mom he wants a transmitter and I would know what to get.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blk96gt posted:

What's the general consensus on transmitters for "drones" these days? My dad has recently decided he wants to build a drone, and wants a transmitter for Christmas. I have no idea what is good these days. My dad and I have both flown airplanes and helicopters in the past, but he got rid of all his stuff ~6 years ago and I dumped mine ~3 years ago. My last radio was a Futaba 9 CAP, so that's about the newest thing I've used. Would something like a Spektrum DX6 work? I'm going off very little information here, since he just told my mom he wants a transmitter and I would know what to get.

I'm looking at something called the Devo 7 because it is very small for a Tx and can be flashed with custom Deviation firmware to enable all sorts of cool features. If you're looking for a full sized Tx, lots of switches, and expandability I don't think you can do any better than a Taranis. You could write a book on all the things a Taranis can do.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
You can add my vote for the Taranis.

Lots of options for receivers of all shapes and sizes. Comes with really good telemetry.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I like my spektrum stuff... I'm still strugglign with my 9xr pro. .... I think you can't go wrong with the tarranis.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Taranis is easily the best choice.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Don't buy any of the OrangeRx stuff! Not even once!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Dr. Honked posted:

Don't buy any of the OrangeRx stuff! Not even once!

The receivers seem solid. (I'm flying like.. ten of them...)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nerobro posted:

The receivers seem solid. (I'm flying like.. ten of them...)

I wouldn't put them on anything expensive...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I wouldn't put them on anything expensive...
I don't have anything to big... the only range problems I've had were with the cheap spektrum 4ch transmitters.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I have had a couple issues with OrangeRX stuff, particularly the small receivers. One of which caused my quad to fall from the sky at around 250 meters out. I also got a JR module for my Taranis that was a piece of crap and ended up being replaced by a DIY spektrum JR module.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I did some digging tonight. I think I'm going to go with the "last generation" JR radios, that support DSMX. We'll see what ebay serves up.

Also the DXe seems pretty interesting too.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I vote for the Taranis is your budget stretches that far. Can't get a better transmitter for the money.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Takkaryx posted:

Seriously, I really don't understand some of the vitriol coming off this. If you 1) have a radio controlled device that 2) weighs more that 2 sticks of butter but less than small child and 3) fly it outdoors, pay 5bux and reg it. Scotch tape your number on it, somewhere. Sell the drone? De-reg it on your account. Scrap it for parts? De-reg it on your account. Build a new one? Reg it on your account, scotch tape your number on it. Like, I can understand some of the confusion if you're not a US citizen, but still. For a major government agency dealing with devices that can potentially wreck commercial airplanes, this is not hard or complicated at all.

It doesn't actually solve anything it sets out to though. Most**** people with the wherewithal to build one aren't the people cited in those near miss reports. If I see a concerted effort to make registration happen at point of sale, or to include a real education element to it, then that's cool. $5 is still completely arbitrary and this still ignores section 336

its unfortunate that most opposition to this comes from the worst gun nutty types

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Hopefully manufacturers will include an insert about it, or the FAA does outreach to stores to have a flier up. My assumption is that by registering, people will be inclined to go over rules that they otherwise might not (Oh, there's going to be a federal record of me flying? I better glance over some rules, then). As for the 5$, I think I read somewhere that there's an old law that there states if there's a registration, there needs to be a registration fee, but what that amount is is arbitrary, so they keep it at a 5$ that was set up in the 60's.

Section 336 says they can't make any rule or regulation, but does not say anything about registration. This new registration is not limiting, restricting, or abridging where, when or how I fly. At least, this is probably the language they'll use to say why they can do this in light of 336.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
"You have to register" sounds like a rule to me :shrug:

My Taranis has been great overall, however the right slider doesn't have a stop at 100% and just continues to slide until like 500% and one of the switches sometimes doesn't register the change. This kind of sucks but not a huge deal considering the number of switches and sliders. Also would be easier to fix myself than sending it back to the UK.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
I do hope that the AMA sues over Section 336, they're going to lose a lot of their legal standing if they don't put up a fight here.

Congress or someone really needs to devolve specific powers to the FAA, their argument drones are aircraft is laughable. See the 333 exemption for a paper airplane, http://dronelaw.com/2015/08/27/faa-grants-section-333-exemption-for-paper-airplane/

Somehow I seriously doubt we'll see congress act till there is a major incident. Of course these registration rules do nothing to make a major incident less likely.

As kneejerk government reactions go, this is entirely pointless and a collective waste of everyone's time but less burdensome than it could have been. Bah.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

i81icu812 posted:

I do hope that the AMA sues over Section 336, they're going to lose a lot of their legal standing if they don't put up a fight here.

Congress or someone really needs to devolve specific powers to the FAA, their argument drones are aircraft is laughable. See the 333 exemption for a paper airplane, http://dronelaw.com/2015/08/27/faa-grants-section-333-exemption-for-paper-airplane/

Somehow I seriously doubt we'll see congress act till there is a major incident. Of course these registration rules do nothing to make a major incident less likely.

The AMA is taking the FAA to court: http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2014/08/22/ama-files-petition-for-review-of-faas-interpretive-rule/

And of course they issued a 333 exemption for a paper airplane; someone trying to out-pedant a government bureaucracy like the FAA about the rules isn't likely to succeed. "They'll never issue this! It's too silly!"

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

fordan posted:

The AMA is taking the FAA to court: http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2014/08/22/ama-files-petition-for-review-of-faas-interpretive-rule/

And of course they issued a 333 exemption for a paper airplane; someone trying to out-pedant a government bureaucracy like the FAA about the rules isn't likely to succeed. "They'll never issue this! It's too silly!"

They're also suggesting members hold off from registering: http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2015/12/17/hold-off-on-registering-model-aircraft/

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Yep. They need to take one more step and file another lawsuit over the registration thing though. More bureaucracy for everyone!

LurkingAsian
Jul 27, 2007
Shhhh.......
Good news! All the data in the drone registry will be public, including that of minors! Nothing could possibly go wrong.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/12/18/faa-finally-admits-names-and-home-addresses-in-drone-registry-will-be-publicly-available/

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

overdesigned posted:

If a reported case of this (i.e someone is convicted/punished of deliberate theft or misuse of someone else's drone ID with intent to defraud) happens at any time in 2016 I will send you a check for $100. :toxx:

LurkingAsian posted:

Good news! All the data in the drone registry will be public, including that of minors! Nothing could possibly go wrong.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/12/18/faa-finally-admits-names-and-home-addresses-in-drone-registry-will-be-publicly-available/

Overdesigned, I think your toxx is safe but only because A: convicting someone smart who wants to defraud someone else is going to be neigh on impossible, and B: the FAA contractors are likely going to drag their feet for a full year and not release the full registration database for public searches on schedule.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

LurkingAsian posted:

Yea, definitely hoping this thing falls flat on its face after reading that. Also they just said "searchable" meaning it may be possible to search for all registered pilots in an area, or things like that.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
None of that is any different then the ham radio uls system for what it's worth. Searchable and public, etc.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

blugu64 posted:

None of that is any different then the ham radio uls system for what it's worth. Searchable and public, etc.

It's a lot harder to do harm with someone elses ham radio number than it is with someone elses drone registry information.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Elendil004 posted:

It's a lot harder to do harm with someone elses ham radio number than it is with someone elses drone registry information.

I don't really see the difference here. It's full name/address contact info, and it -is- publicly searchable.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Elendil004 posted:

I very strongly disagree.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

CrazyLittle posted:

I don't really see the difference here. It's full name/address contact info, and it -is- publicly searchable.

I suspect he means putting someone else's registration number on a drone before doing bad things with it. But the same thing can (and occasionally does) happen with ham radio which has an audience larger than those in the immediate vicinity.

If they handle it the same way they handle the airman registration (aka pilots licenses) you'll be able to opt out. In fact they may be required to assume opt-in same as pilots due to the "Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century." But yeah, terrible policy.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The reason that people are up in arms about making this public is that there is a perceived public mistrust or animosity towards drones and drone pilots, which, based on the number of retards crashing Phantoms into stuff, may be somewhat warranted. Being somewhat biased I don't know how prevalent this actually is though. The fear is that some moron(s) will do stupid things with drones, local do-gooder vigilantes will look up innocent drone pilots in the area and break out the pitchforks.

This situation doesn't exist with other registries that I know of...there is no perceived or real threat from HAM operators or full scale pilots or whatever, and in general, the public is not as confused about them as they are about drone operators.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Wojcigitty posted:

The reason that people are up in arms about making this public is that there is a perceived public mistrust or animosity towards drones and drone pilots, which, based on the number of retards crashing Phantoms into stuff, may be somewhat warranted. Being somewhat biased I don't know how prevalent this actually is though. The fear is that some moron(s) will do stupid things with drones, local do-gooder vigilantes will look up innocent drone pilots in the area and break out the pitchforks.

This situation doesn't exist with other registries that I know of...there is no perceived or real threat from HAM operators or full scale pilots or whatever, and in general, the public is not as confused about them as they are about drone operators.

Don't forget, publicly searchable means that framing someone else becomes trivial!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Remember we've seen assaults on both drone operators and drones. I've been verbally accosted by more than a few people who I would really worry about having my home address.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Finally got some video of my MXS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J59zteaN9MI

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm loving that first snaproll to knife-edge. Awesome flying

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

Remember we've seen assaults on both drone operators and drones. I've been verbally accosted by more than a few people who I would really worry about having my home address.

Clearly now with drones being considered aircraft, the FAA will put the effort into holding assholes who shoot down drones responsible for their act-ahahahahaha

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Also, is there anywhere in the us or China where I can buy those pink props that thugprops sell - I assumed they came from the same place dalprops gets theirs (often referred to under the surveilzone brand as well)

Edit: drone registration is still not up btw

Edit: my bad it is up, at a different URL, with no indication on the original one. https://registermyuas.faa.gov

Edit: the website is loading other people's info when logging back in lmaooooooooooo

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 21, 2015

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Nice flying. How do you like electric vs gas on large scale planes?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

subx posted:

Nice flying. How do you like electric vs gas on large scale planes?

Thanks. On bigger stuff the difference between electric and gas is interesting. Gas engines keep making power as they spin faster and faster, whereas electric makes less power the faster it spins (on a given set up obviously). This means that in the air, the electric plane will pull harder at low and medium speed than a gas plane, but will reach max speed pretty quickly; whereas as a gas plane will have a higher top speed which may be good for some aircraft or flying styles. The electric is a little more consistent and throttle response is always perfect. Maintenance is almost non existent whereas gas has stuff loosening up every now and then. But, flying times are limited, and charging is a challenge. On a plane like the MXS I would need a generator to do more than three flights (except at the field in the video which has a solar charging station).

It's a toss up really, but electric fit the MXS and how I wanted to fly it really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
:siren:Reg link is up at the FAA's site, but leads to a blank page. I almost forgot we were dealing with a government agency's website on launch day.