Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jacquismo posted:

This might be a bit of a stretch, but since this is the closest I'll find to a NoVA thread, I'm going to go out on a limb...

I'm way out in the Manassas area, and looking for something in Prince William or the western half of Fairfax county. My wife and I are relatively adventurous eaters, so nothing's really off limits. Doesn't need to be fancy; I'm just looking for stuff to try that's not a chain.

What's up manassas goon? I'm from woodbridge, and currently reside in gainesville with the future-wife.

Do you like Korean BBQ? Because Annandale is amazing for that sort of thing. (same goes for Pho)
https://www.facebook.com/Kogiya
https://www.facebook.com/HoneyPigBBQ
https://www.facebook.com/YechonRestaurantUSA
I have a list as long as my dick but start with these three.

Falls Church is a Vietnamese Meccca
http://www.edencenter.com/

If you want falafel you have to go into DC or at least as far as Alexandria.
http://www.falafelshop.com/ (sorry it's a chain)

Now for the actual thing you're looking for:
Best Thai in the area: http://www.siambistrothai.com/
Right next door is the best mexican: http://www.lostoltecosrestaurant.com/home.aspx Get the Mexican jambalaya.

Best pizza is of course Tony's Pizza in Manassas. There's several of them and I'll let you make up your own mind as to which is the best. Try them all.

Best bad Chineese food (as opposed to authentic) http://www.sampancarryout.com They have mutant sized chicken wings.

My friends own this ice cream place and I love it. https://www.facebook.com/Frostie-Moose-Soft-Ice-Cream-Store-141933285833116

I have to go now, but I'll make this a 2 part post as I move west across the county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Jacquismo posted:

This might be a bit of a stretch, but since this is the closest I'll find to a NoVA thread, I'm going to go out on a limb...

I'm way out in the Manassas area, and looking for something in Prince William or the western half of Fairfax county. My wife and I are relatively adventurous eaters, so nothing's really off limits. Doesn't need to be fancy; I'm just looking for stuff to try that's not a chain.

I know quite a few places that fit the description; if you're a bit more specific, you'd save me the time from listing off dozens of places that i'm sure you've likely visited/liked ;)

Jacquismo
Dec 1, 2003
~~HEY GUYS I'M ON THE RHINOCEROS I MEAN INTERNET~~

2DCAT posted:

I know quite a few places that fit the description; if you're a bit more specific, you'd save me the time from listing off dozens of places that i'm sure you've likely visited/liked ;)

Well, I wasn't really looking for anything in particular, but I'll offer up some of the places we frequent right now and maybe you guys can steer me in the direction of something better.

I'm always on the lookout for places to get a gyro; Katerina's (http://www.katerinasgreekcuisine.com) in Old Town Manassas is pretty good, but a little crowded at times. Maybe some place where you can get in and out a little easier?

I enjoy Irish and English pubs for comfort food. The Auld Shebeen (http://www.theauldshebeenva.com/new/) in Fairfax is where we usually end up. Hunter's Head (http://www.huntersheadtavern.com/) in Upperville is a nice English tavern, but a little far especially since it's sort of out in the middle of nowhere.

Any Japanese places outside of DC worth checking out? My wife loves sushi. When we were dating, we used to go to Blue Ocean (http://www.izakayablueocean.com/hp/) in Fairfax. It's one of the few places I've been to in the States that felt relatively authentic, especially if you get their "secret" menu. We've been frequenting Matsu (http://www.gomatsu.com/) in Centreville as of late since it's not quite so far. Bonus points for any place with good katsudon or katsu curry.

I haven't found a decent Mexican place yet, although I haven't looked very hard. Mi Casita in Manassas is the only place I've been to on the east coast that served tortas, but the service was so-so and I didn't feel all that welcome. Nothing else has really stood out.

I'll take recommendations for a good "fake" Chinese restaurant. Asian Garden (http://www.asiangardenchinese.com) in Bristow is the best I've got right now.

I'd really like to find something we haven't tried before. No real experience with African or Middle Eastern cuisine, so I'm interested for recommendations on that front. We tried out Saba in Fairfax (http://www.sabarestaurantdc.com/home.html) recently, since we'd never had Yemeni food before; the lamb mandi was pretty awesome, although the waitress was sort of pushy about what to try.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Jacquismo posted:

No real experience with African or Middle Eastern cuisine, so I'm interested for recommendations on that front.

Amoo's. http://www.amoosrestaurant.com/

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not from DC, but will be going on a date with a girl in the Northern VA/DC area next weekend. I'd appreciate some help on somewhere to go. She's in Alexandria, but anything in that general area of VA or DC is doable. We're both eat-anything types, and I'd prefer something a little bit interesting/unusual/quirky, though I'm down with a place that does something 'plain' particularly well. I'm not really price sensitive, and it being near other interesting stuff would be a plus. Any ideas you guys have would be amazing.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

you ate my cat posted:

I'm not from DC, but will be going on a date with a girl in the Northern VA/DC area next weekend. I'd appreciate some help on somewhere to go. She's in Alexandria, but anything in that general area of VA or DC is doable. We're both eat-anything types, and I'd prefer something a little bit interesting/unusual/quirky, though I'm down with a place that does something 'plain' particularly well. I'm not really price sensitive, and it being near other interesting stuff would be a plus. Any ideas you guys have would be amazing.
I went to Virtue Feed & Grain in Alexandria for drinks last week and it seemed nice. I'd take someone on a date there. Then you can walk and get dessert somewhere in Old Town.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Hubs and I ate at Crane & Turtle earlier this week, and I have to agree with my chef friend who recommended it - most interesting food in DC right now. Everything about it was unexpected and good, and the service was top-notch.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
2 year anniversary coming up this week and we'd like to get dinner somewhere near the mall. Any recommendations? We like pretty much everything but Italian and Mexican.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

dexter6 posted:

I went to Virtue Feed & Grain in Alexandria for drinks last week and it seemed nice. I'd take someone on a date there. Then you can walk and get dessert somewhere in Old Town.

It's been a while for me, but also check out Vermilion on the other side of Old Town

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

ChickenArise posted:

It's been a while for me, but also check out Vermilion on the other side of Old Town

Yeah, I haven't been to Vermilion in about a year, but it served as a solid date spot many times in the past.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

you ate my cat posted:

I'm not really price sensitive

Okay. Restaurant Eve, then.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I like the look of both Virtue Feed & Grain and Vermilion. Haven't settled on firm plans yet, but I'll let you guys know if we end up at one of those.

DARPA Dad posted:

Okay. Restaurant Eve, then.

Touche. I suppose I'm price sensitive enough to put that out of reach, no matter how lovely it looks. Thanks though!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Update: Crane & Turtle (one of the most interesting places in town I think) is doing a cool hotpot deal during the winter. You sit outside, but blankets and heaters are provided.

Also I took the Hubs to Komi for his birthday last month and holy shitsnacks it's gooooood. Great wine list, excellent service.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

the_chavi posted:

Update: Crane & Turtle (one of the most interesting places in town I think) is doing a cool hotpot deal during the winter. You sit outside, but blankets and heaters are provided.

Also I took the Hubs to Komi for his birthday last month and holy shitsnacks it's gooooood. Great wine list, excellent service.

Blankets and heaters? lolwhy? It's friggin spring weather out.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Everyone go to Convivial and Garrison now. Garrison first because Convivial is better but go go go go

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I went to Garrison maybe a month-ish ago and was pleased. There were one or two dishes that were just okay, but the amazingly flavorful crudo special and fantastic wine more than made up for it. Service was efficient but felt a little cold. Negatives aside, it was a good meal and I'd definitely go back.

However I'm currently having a love affair with Bad Saint and have zero desire to eat anywhere else in the foreseeable future. Incredibly friendly folks all around, ultra flavorful and creative Filipino food that jumps back and forth between familiar and unexpected. The only downside is it's a no reservation spot with very few seats so you need to get there within about an hour of opening or else you'll be looking at an hour to two hour wait. There are enough good bars nearby that it's easy enough to hang out for awhile before your table opens up. I've been there twice and want to go again. All the time. Every day.

\/ \/ Agreed, Maketto is pretty awesome.

kedo fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 17, 2015

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
If you haven't been yet, Maketto is really worth a visit.

Went to Volt last weekend to do Table 21. It was a bit underwhelming to be honest—we did the tasting menu at Reinstoff in Berlin last month which was comparable in price and the food there was much better.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CherryCola posted:

Blankets and heaters? lolwhy? It's friggin spring weather out.

Touche.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
Are there any must try places in Alexandria? I remember seeing the names Virtue Grain and Feed and Vermillion and some Italian place located under a giant neon pig in this thread, but I don't know if any of them demand a visit.
Also, I passed a place called Cuba Libre on the way to get Ethiopian food in DC. Is it any good? If so, is it worth the money?

Glockamole fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 2, 2016

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Glockamole posted:

Also, I passed a place called Cuba Libre on the way to get Ethiopian food in DC. Is it any good? If so, is it worth the money?

Eh. It's OK. I assume that there are better Cuban places in DC, but I don't actually know of any. It's a little overpriced, I think.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mi Cuba Cafe in Columbia Heights is pretty solid from what I've heard. Prices are extremely reasonable.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Glockamole posted:

Are there any must try places in Alexandria? I remember seeing the names Virtue Grain and Feed and Vermillion and some Italian place located under a giant neon pig in this thread, but I don't know if any of them demand a visit.

Eveningstar Cafe is super yummy. I also just had dinner at Rosemarino D'Italia which is across the street and it was a super cute little Italian place. These are both really good date spots, as well.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Glockamole posted:

For fancy cocktails that are also very good try Captain Gregory's or PX
For fancy food and wine there is Restaurant Eve
For very good bread and pastries there is Bread + Water
For very good fish and chips there is Eamon's
For decent Vietnamese there is Banh Mi

IMO Virtue isn't as good as it used to be since it changed owners. I had good food at Brabo last time I was there but the cocktails were bad. I agree that Eveningstar is solid. If you're in Del Ray check out Holy Cow I seriously love their burgers, like, more than any place I've been to in D.C. - they're loving huge, and seasoned and cooked perfectly. Fries are pretty drat good too.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'd definitely take Vermillion over Virtue. Which reminds me, it has been a couple years since I've gone to Vermillion :(

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Wachepti posted:

For fancy cocktails that are also very good try Captain Gregory's or PX
For fancy food and wine there is Restaurant Eve
For very good bread and pastries there is Bread + Water
For very good fish and chips there is Eamon's
For decent Vietnamese there is Banh Mi

IMO Virtue isn't as good as it used to be since it changed owners. I had good food at Brabo last time I was there but the cocktails were bad. I agree that Eveningstar is solid. If you're in Del Ray check out Holy Cow I seriously love their burgers, like, more than any place I've been to in D.C. - they're loving huge, and seasoned and cooked perfectly. Fries are pretty drat good too.

I haven't been to Captain Gregory's yet, but the owners are friends of mine and they've done a great job bringing Sugar Shack up there.

Seconding everyone saying Vermillion.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wachepti posted:

If you're in Del Ray eat every drat thing you can get your hands on.

FTFY

Veritek83 posted:

I haven't been to Captain Gregory's yet, but the owners are friends of mine and they've done a great job bringing Sugar Shack up there.

Tell them a special thanks from me. I can't wait till they open the new one in Arlington (near Falls Church.)

Also Duck Donuts is really good.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Veritek83 posted:

I haven't been to Captain Gregory's yet

It is legit good - like, near or at the same level as Dram and Grain, PX, Copycat, Southern Efficiency... any of the top tier D.C. cocktail bars. I'm so happy it's there, I just wish they were open more days of the week.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
It sounds like they also have food. Any thoughts on that?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Went and visited some family in southern MD for Christmas and we went to a place called "The Foxy Fish" which was surprisingly good. Nice little casual family spot with delicious fried soft shell crab, fried oysters and cream of crab soup (oh man, the soup!). Not sure if it was more the food or the company we had but all-in-all it was a very fun evening and pretty good food for Mechanicsville (we didn't have time to, but I also wanted to try out some BBQ while in southern MD as I'd heard good things).

Took the wife out to DC for a day, went and checked out Union Market. Incredibly yuppie/hipster place in general and really striking in contrast to the whole sale area it's in. Was a great way to teach my wife what "gentrification" was. :v:
That said it was totally up my alley. The coffee we got there was delicious (can't remember the stall's name), the little overpriced "housewares boutique" shop was fun to walk around in, they had a knife seller/sharpener that had me entranced for entirely too long (I'm pretty sure I creeped out the poor guys working there), the smells you'd pick up just walking around the various booths were great (I really wanted to try the Korean taco place but my wife was in oyster mode), overall just a cool place to go visit.

We stopped at Rappahannock for oysters and while I spent more money than I'd like to on oysters, the raw and especially the grilled were all delicious. The oyster chowder was a bit salty and thick for my taste but certainly wasn't bad, and their crab cake was a bit subdued in crab flavor (thinking it was dungeness) but the remoulade and slaw that came with it all rounded out to a pretty good package, plus I couldn't complain about the size of the dish.

Later on that night we checked out The Dabney. All small plates: we had pork belly sliders on sweet potato rolls (holy poo poo these were good), little pork rillettes (a bit salty for the wife but I thought they were decent), rockfish (while fantastic, it was a tiny piece to be considered an "entree"), and whole porgy (this was the star of the dinner for me) with a wintergreen salad on the side (buttermilk dressing was on point). Overall it was a fantastic meal, decent prices (for DC - poo poo it was cheaper than Rappahannock), the cocktails we had were delicious and I enjoyed the service, ambiance and music selection.

Overall DC/MD you were good to me and my wife, your food was good and I thank you for it. Trip report over.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 5, 2016

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

ChickenArise posted:

It sounds like they also have food. Any thoughts on that?

I've never tried their food. They are inside a donut shop so I bet all they have access to are fryers.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Wachepti posted:

I've never tried their food. They are inside a donut shop so I bet all they have access to are fryers.

Sliders on donut buns are definitely a big part of what's going on.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I've already had a Luther twice at GBD, so that's probably something I could get down with.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Twisted Horn finally opened in Petworth! My friend is one of the bartenders and he's really good. I haven't been there yet because of my dumb schedule, but it looks freaking rad. They're owned by the same people that own Hanks, so how can you go wrong?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Went to Rogue 24 for RJ Cooper's last evening on NYE. It was a fun night but I remember quite little due to all the booze.

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!
Anybody know a good place for brunch on a Saturday near the Chinatown/Metro Center area? Preferably a place that has good vegetarian options (eggs, fish and dairy are fine).

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

God of Evil Cows posted:

Anybody know a good place for brunch on a Saturday near the Chinatown/Metro Center area? Preferably a place that has good vegetarian options (eggs, fish and dairy are fine).

http://www.cocosala.com/menu/ maybe. I haven't had the non-chocolate stuff there in a long time, though. So....get chocolate maybe.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Holy poo poo I want to try momofuku. Anyone been?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

pr0k posted:

It's amazing. *EDIT* an amazing restaurant. It is by no means traditional or the best ramen I've ever had. The dining experience as a whole was very good though.

Extra goon points if you can manage to hit it and milkbar in the same night.

Doubleedit: You're probably going to want some icecream if you get the cold noodles. They're spicy as gently caress.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

pr0k posted:

Milkbar is trash, Momofuku itself is pretty great but I'd stick with the non-ramen dishes. This does not mean avoid all the noodle dishes -- the beef noodle soup or whatever it's called is super good. But for ramen, Toki Underground or Daikaya is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Heard nothing but dislike for Milkbar which bums me out. Is their line still ridiculous?

• Locked thread