Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

This bard is just sitting in a pond

She's not drowning or anything, I channeled it so she could get out, but she's been hanging out in there for like a whole season. Is this a performance art piece? Is this some David Blaine poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

scamtank posted:

You might be misremembering me spergin' horribly about fruit tree frequency and bayberries. v:shobon:v I could wrap those changes up into a small raw pack if you like.

Yes, please! Every fruit everywhere bugs me almost as much as clown colored domestic animals :negative:

Also seconding the send it along to Toady idea.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
So uh, is there any new reliable way to check for vampires/weredwarves now? In the old days you could just see by checking profiles and seeing if they had a billion memberships along with an old age. Now ALOT of migrants seem to have varying numbers of former memberships and the like.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Blackray Jack posted:

So uh, is there any new reliable way to check for vampires/weredwarves now? In the old days you could just see by checking profiles and seeing if they had a billion memberships along with an old age. Now ALOT of migrants seem to have varying numbers of former memberships and the like.
Airlock your immigrants before they are allowed into the fortress. The ones that don't get thirsty or hungry are vampires and should be locked away in a sub-fortress where they do nothing but train until the end of days when goblins come to destroy your fort and your military has been destroyed.

You can also flood the room with water. If they drown, they aren't a vampire.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
I just lost my settlement to a single wereass, singlehandedly, in the spring of my second year. That was some serious bullshit.

So I guess in the future I just need to concentrate entirely on constructing a walled perimeter before doing anything else?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blackray Jack posted:

I just lost my settlement to a single wereass, singlehandedly, in the spring of my second year. That was some serious bullshit.

So I guess in the future I just need to concentrate entirely on constructing a walled perimeter before doing anything else?

Or be luckier.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

This bard is just sitting in a pond

She's not drowning or anything, I channeled it so she could get out, but she's been hanging out in there for like a whole season. Is this a performance art piece? Is this some David Blaine poo poo?

She's protesting the elven genocide.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Or be luckier.

How soon do they tend to arrive? I also had first year kobold and goblin thieves, ugh.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

RedTonic posted:

I'm dying for another update to Dwarf Therapist. Managing my squads is agony without it.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.msg6663118#msg6663118

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Blackray Jack posted:

How soon do they tend to arrive? I also had first year kobold and goblin thieves, ugh.

You only build on the surface using walls and poo poo if you want a challenge. You should dig (down or into a hill) and get a raising bridge built and linked to a lever that you can uset to block off the entrance if you are attacked. The thieves arent anything to worry or care about unless you leave all your poo poo laying around outside even a single dog near your entrance will run them off.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Right now I'm getting a VERY bizarre migrant wave full of legendary skilled dwarves, anyone else had this before?

EDIT: Aaaaaand another werecreature spawns in and wrecks poo poo again. Ugh. Didn't even make it past the first year :v

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 15, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you get a werecreature spawn in the first year and don't want to just wall it out/engineer a trap, I think your only option is to draft literally everyone into the military and send them to dogpile the were creature as a group. Many will die horribly, but the more bodies you throw at it the better the odds are that the few dwarves with real weapons (you embarked with some right?) will manage to kill it. Then you need to check who's been bit and isolate/murder them.

Awful way to start a fort but if you're not seeking adversity you wouldn't be playing this game.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
I've been playing since boatmurdered days. A challenge is fine but when you're getting first/second year supermonsters that wreck your poo poo spawning in the middle of your encampment, well, it's not exactly all THAT fair, is it?

EDIT: Back in the day, drafting the two miners would do the trick because by the time a threat arrived they were legendary and thus, got seriously beefy stats and could wreck even goblin ambushes. I suppose I'll just have to start funneling my entrance and line it with some cage traps for starters, to catch werepeople and the like.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 15, 2015

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
If you are that annoyed by early werecreatures, turn off invasions in the init files and re-enable them after the first year.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Mostly I'm just venting about how BS it can be. I'll just adjust strategies to a more reliable protective circle if it keeps happening, sorry. v:shobon:v Besides, turning off invasions is surrendering! :black101:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I'd have no problems with early were-monsters if they weren't so goddamn infectious

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Ignimbrite posted:

I'd have no problems with early were-monsters if they weren't so goddamn infectious

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Right then!!!!

Anything that bears useful fruit has been adjusted to FREQUENCY:15 and bayberry trees appear now in tropical grassland instead of ANY_TEMPERATE plus arctic taiga :psydwarf:.
And the basic plant_standard.txt has just had the mango tree get the lowered frequency treatment.

This is an old shot, but it's those changes in action in a heavily overgrown tropical swamp. Fruit trees are sparse enough that you'd rather cut down the boring ones first.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

DF just needs some equivalent for WolfsBane that you can plant in a circle around your fort to keep transformed were-beasts out.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Werecreatures are supposed to have a random weakness to a particular material, but there's no way to tell what it is without trying it out. You could outfit your army with a variety of weapons and bolts to maximize the chance of hitting the jackpot but even when reading the combat logs there's no real way to differentiate between hitting the weakness or just a strong combat blow.

Werecreatures are extremely fast, strong and tough. They're very hard to deal with unless you wall yourself off or put your animal pasture by the entrance to act as a buffer. Dogs and water buffalo can't get infected, and you can still eat them afterwards!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is anyone else having trouble with zombies? During a necromancer siege around 40 zombies will pile around an enemy and refuse to attack it. They just follow it around for an eternity and the creature steps randomly in every direction. This has happened in two different forts now (with a kangaroo and a hamster man) and it is pretty irritating. I tried sallying some dwarfs outside to break it up but they were killed and the zombies returned to their holding pattern around the hamster man.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
So what exactly do you have to do in order to have your adventurer write something in adventure mode?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Internet Kraken posted:

If you get a werecreature spawn in the first year and don't want to just wall it out/engineer a trap, I think your only option is to draft literally everyone into the military and send them to dogpile the were creature as a group. Many will die horribly, but the more bodies you throw at it the better the odds are that the few dwarves with real weapons (you embarked with some right?) will manage to kill it. Then you need to check who's been bit and isolate/murder them.

Awful way to start a fort but if you're not seeking adversity you wouldn't be playing this game.

I recall trying this once. I went from having A werecreature to having a LOT of weredwarves.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Lareine posted:

So what exactly do you have to do in order to have your adventurer write something in adventure mode?

According to the wiki, you need a blank scroll or quire. No idea where you can find those in adventure mode other than retired forts.

Also I tried embarking on an evil glacier for a fun change of pace. Lasted about just under a year before a zombie polar bear showed up and killed/crippled my military. Then the dead rose up and killed everybody else.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Reclaimed my fort after the weregopher attack, got everything set back up and founded a temple to the dwarven deity of disease. Seems appropriate since the previous owners of the fort were all cleared out by lycanthropy.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
My custom stone stockpiles don't seem to be respecting their limitations, for example accepting ores when I disallowed them. Has anyone else had this issue? Also, can I pour out a barrel of frozen chipmunk blood?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I have yet to have a vampire dwarf migrant (that I know of :tinfoil:) but a human vampire dancer sauced her way in and made herself a pest by killing a random ranger. She now lives in a cage surrounded by walls, and a statue in front of her "tomb" depicting her terrible crime.

The ranger was my first causality so he has a memorial hall for others to visit, a coffin with a memorial slab. Rest in the Earth, o Fallen Stone.

Conversely my first kill was a kobold thief who was nipped to death by a dog. He got a memorial slab by the surface entrance he died near, and as a result it is constantly coated with vomit.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Has anyone seen any tombs or demon spires or anything of the sort? I've only been playing in small worlds with short histories and haven't seen any.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

So my initial proper forays into this mad game continue and I've found and killed my first forgotten beast.
Its name was Quothest and it was a feathered sauropod with deadly spittle and a fat trunk and it'd basically spent its life killing everything within reach in the caves.
The second I breached the underground caverns (which look real spooky and cool in Ironhand) it made a beeline for me and tragically my militia was not there in time to save a miner's pet cat.

However once my militia managed to corner it, it turned out to be a total wuss, unable to hit my sworddwarves as my other squad turned it into a pincushion. My militia commander was at the front and I panicked when a shower of gibs rained out of her but it turned out to just be all of her teeth flying across the room from the one solid kick Quothest landed. As a cheesemaker lopped off its trunk she added injury to insult by decapitating the beast.
Once a humble planter in Headdike, Tun Lusterlash is the hero Commonboot needs.

edit: reading up on Taverns makes me want to turn Commonboot into an underground tourist attraction. Can you make trophies out of bodies of forgotten beasts? I want something to commemerate the occasion.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 16, 2015

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

edit: reading up on Taverns makes me want to turn Commonboot into an underground tourist attraction. Can you make trophies out of bodies of forgotten beasts? I want something to commemerate the occasion.

You might be able to get a hide from it and it might also have some bones you could carve.

You also might get a statue of it if you keep carving statues same as anything.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It seems like when I mark something for "remove construction" the "C" that is normally yellow is now... light blue? And no dwarves are taking care of the task. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: to be clear

These "C"s are normally yellowish? I think something's amiss.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 16, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

You punched the "do stuff/marker only" toggle by accident.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

So my initial proper forays into this mad game continue and I've found and killed my first forgotten beast.
Its name was Quothest and it was a feathered sauropod with deadly spittle and a fat trunk and it'd basically spent its life killing everything within reach in the caves.
The second I breached the underground caverns (which look real spooky and cool in Ironhand) it made a beeline for me and tragically my militia was not there in time to save a miner's pet cat.

However once my militia managed to corner it, it turned out to be a total wuss, unable to hit my sworddwarves as my other squad turned it into a pincushion. My militia commander was at the front and I panicked when a shower of gibs rained out of her but it turned out to just be all of her teeth flying across the room from the one solid kick Quothest landed. As a cheesemaker lopped off its trunk she added injury to insult by decapitating the beast.
Once a humble planter in Headdike, Tun Lusterlash is the hero Commonboot needs.

I really really want Dwarven dentistry so I can have dwarves with adamantium dentures after they get their teeth kicked out by random critters.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

scamtank posted:

You punched the "do stuff/marker only" toggle by accident.

Ah thanks!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

nopantsjack posted:

Does the beast have bones? I think you should be able to use its skull to make a totally badass totem at a craftsdwarf's workshop.

If not, try having your masons/glassmakers/smiths crank out some statues. You'll likely end up with at least one depicting the slaying of the forgotten beast in Commonboot :)

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 16, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Can we actually build totems like statues now? If so, I missed the option. I've been hanging on to a masterwork dragon skull totem.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

When the game says "totem", it's more of the "I dolled up this bear skull, let's go hang it on the blood tree" type than the usual carved poles

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm fairly sure you could make a one-tile, no-bins custom stockpile in the middle of the bar and configure it to display the cool trophy skull, though I don't know if your dwarves would particularly care.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Did pedestals ever make it into the main game or was that just a goonmod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

scamtank posted:

When the game says "totem", it's more of the "I dolled up this bear skull, let's go hang it on the blood tree" type than the usual carved poles

But I wanna actually hang that poo poo on a blood tree or something.