Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ochowie posted:

Is there a c# or java equivalent to numpy/scipy/pandas? I would prefer to use either of those languages but the python numerical analysis stack is too good.

http://fsharp.org/guides/math-and-statistics/ might interest you

quick googling also says that ironpython used to have numpy/scypy ports (which could be used by other clr languages), but those projects have been abandoned for years and don't seem to be usable anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

F# or like BoA go for Iron Python, :lol:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

fyi this isn't the case except maybe at limited forms of heads up poker.

wonder if anyones ever tried to hook up a kinect or w/e to a poker bot to read facial info

like hook this research up to a poker robot

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I don't mean the current state of the art, I mean the limit of a poker-playing computer. There's cool progress still to be made and I'm guessing there will be a lot more variants solved by say, 2025.

That's kind of neither here nor there compared to predicting messy stuff like sports victories. Poker is fundamentally a solvable turn-based game where you can assign an expected value to any given action and map everything in advance, unlike basketball.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Bloody posted:

math.net has some stuff. what are you looking for specifically?

Basic data analysis, regression analysis. Also, some interpolation methods and finite difference methods.

Bloody posted:

alternatively if you're at work or something ILNumerics looks like it could be legit

Yeah this is all for hobby level stuff so this probably wouldn't work.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ochowie posted:

Basic data analysis, regression analysis. Also, some interpolation methods and finite difference methods.

rapidminer?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I want to play machine learning games which finance is ripe for - I'm not sure gambling would scratch the same itch. Writing a poker bot sounds hilarious and I bet a really good one could beat even the best humans but I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for.

mit has a pokerbot thing each year, ive been trying to get good enough at java to write something for it (oh and work)

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

quote:

Thomas and I were attempting to attach a profiler to our Ruby code this morning (via cowboy coding directly on one of the GM servers), which might have been the cause of that. This was approximately 12 hours earlier than the time stamp on this post.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
got going with spacemacs again. it's great but goddamn icannot disable smartparens fast enough

a garbage mode for idiots

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
has anyone suggested that the stockfighter snafu might be part of the game??

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
so just got my mac not very long ago and i'm going wild on swift and react, migrating old projects. more terrible programmer questions from me.

reactjs and more specifically react native users if any:
what do you usually use as a backend for rendering views on the server? i'd like something easy and nashorn and c# aren't really that at all. this is killing me and making me want to give up on react altogether.

swift question if anyone here uses it:
networking. am i really recreating the wheel trying to do something like java's remote/unicast? is the language still that much in its infancy that no decent libraries for persistence and communication exist?

i can't find good resources for either questions online. i'm coming from a c#/java background and trying to make something other than simple client side stuff on the iOS. the few answers i have found have been a major pain in the rear end so i just feel like i'm looking in the wrong places.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

pepito sanchez posted:

reactjs and more specifically react native users if any:
what do you usually use as a backend for rendering views on the server? i'd like something easy and nashorn and c# aren't really that at all. this is killing me and making me want to give up on react altogether.

What's not easy about c#? I use ReactJS.net and it was a breeze to set up, with the bonus of having react render server-side content on page load

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

got going with spacemacs again. it's great but goddamn icannot disable smartparens fast enough

a garbage mode for idiots

I told one of my coworkers about spacemacs and he loves it. it looks so drat cool every time I see it going on his screen

and those colored parens are fabulous, what's wrong with them?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Lone_Strider posted:

What's not easy about c#? I use ReactJS.net and it was a breeze to set up, with the bonus of having react render server-side content on page load

apologies for possibly starting another code-styling war, but is it just me who looks at poo poo like this:

code:
@Html.React("CommentsBox", new {
    initialComments = Model.Comments
})
which is all over the place in C-styled languags (but seems more common in JS)

and thinks "what the gently caress, that indentation makes no sense. The initialComments line is a logical child of "new", not of @Html. it should not be just randomly indented, it should be placed in such a way that you'll immediately see that "initialComments" are a property of the second argument to the function, something like:

code:
@Html.React("CommentsBox", 
            new {
            });
or since it's a one-liner:

code:
            new { initialComments = Model.Comments });
in other words, why does it seem that JS folks' only indentation rule is "after a brace and newline i must push tab exactly once, hurr" instead of using indentation to express the code structure?

it's not just an aesthetic complaint either, when I look at JS code i often find myself having to squint at the smorgasbord of braces and parentheses exactly because that kind of indentation is totally useless as a comprehension help

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 16, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

http://fsharp.org/guides/math-and-statistics/ might interest you

quick googling also says that ironpython used to have numpy/scypy ports (which could be used by other clr languages), but those projects have been abandoned for years and don't seem to be usable anymore

thats out of date enough that it lists ilnumerics as having an open/free version which they havent in a few years so

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

the university of alberta published their solution for heads up limit poker and their method applies equally well to multi player and no limit games. the cost to generate optimal strategies is high so bots may not exist yet, but we know how to make them once costs come down. it's not even unlikely that someone has already generated the strategy for a limited version of heads up no limit, the estimated costs are in the low millions of dollars

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ochowie posted:

Yeah this is all for hobby level stuff so this probably wouldn't work.

math.net numerics has at least some of that stuff. if there's a specific thing you wish existed there but doesn't lmk and maybe i'll contribute to an open sores lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

apologies for possibly starting another code-styling war, but is it just me who looks at poo poo like this:

code:
@Html.React("CommentsBox", new {
})
which is all over the place in C-styled languags (but seems more common in JS)

and thinks "what the gently caress, that indentation makes no sense. The initialComments line is a logical child of "new", not of @Html. it should not be just randomly indented, it should be placed in such a way that you'll immediately see that "initialComments" are a property of the second argument to the function, something like:

code:
            new {
            });
or since it's a one-liner:

code:
            new { initialComments = Model.Comments });
in other words, why does it seem that JS folks' only indentation rule is "after a brace and newline i must push tab exactly once, hurr" instead of using indentation to express the code structure?

it's not just an aesthetic complaint either, when I look at JS code i often find myself having to squint at the smorgasbord of braces and parentheses exactly because that kind of indentation is totally useless as a comprehension help
its because javascript is bad

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

I try to create my view models in such a way that I can just give react data directly and not whip up an anonymous object
code:
@Html.React("PoopyButthole", Model.Fart)
I'm not a fan of JS styles either, then again formatting and indentation is the least of javascripts worries

also

Shaggar posted:

its because javascript is bad

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Lone_Strider posted:

i played around with it, BUT only a bit. Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't this require using asp.net mvc with react.web.mvc nuget? otherwise i can't use jsx in visual studio itself? that's what seemed like a pain in the rear end to me. i was hoping for more of a purely webapi solution so i could use it from any other program in any other language i might want to code.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't get why you'd use react instead of knockout

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i havent used react or knockout but i think it's because reactive programming is really good?

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
I'm not sure I totally understand, but if you're using visual studio 2015 or visual studio code, you've got support for jsx syntax built-in w/o any additional packages or addons. are you just looking to get some kind of webapi spun up so you can point your react code to endpoints to get data?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

the university of alberta published their solution for heads up limit poker and their method applies equally well to multi player and no limit games. the cost to generate optimal strategies is high so bots may not exist yet, but we know how to make them once costs come down. it's not even unlikely that someone has already generated the strategy for a limited version of heads up no limit, the estimated costs are in the low millions of dollars

limit poker sucks tho and I thought those solutions were all play-not-to-lose style?

I have a buddy who was doing his PhD at UofA but he was working on Go.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

I told one of my coworkers about spacemacs and he loves it. it looks so drat cool every time I see it going on his screen

the colored parens are something like rainbow-delimiters-mode

smartparens-mode is the one that when you press ( inserts ()

i usually don't mind it and sometimes it's useful but i can see how some people would find it infuriating

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Knockout's functioning through attributes basically defies good tooling and my experience with it was that it was a bitch to make a composable view model that applies to composable components. Maybe I was doing it wrong. I found react was nicer after using both of them although I guess I'd still consider knockout as it's a smaller script to make clients download.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

limit poker sucks tho and I thought those solutions were all play-not-to-lose style?

what a waste.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Bloody posted:

thats out of date enough that it lists ilnumerics as having an open/free version which they havent in a few years so

Yeah I searched around for the free version before I realized that. On the plus side I wasted 15 minutes of work time trying to find it.

Bloody posted:

math.net numerics has at least some of that stuff. if there's a specific thing you wish existed there but doesn't lmk and maybe i'll contribute to an open sores lol

I noticed it has a mono version. I might try it with ASP.NET 5 on linux. I know it's basically a tech demo but it should be enough for my lovely hobby apps.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Symbolic Butt posted:

rainbow parens owns. smartparens tries to match delimiters for you automatically and maybe i just dont know how to use it but it blows

i hate autoindenters/etc for whatever reason. i think they're meant for people who are more intentional about what they type

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 16, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ochowie posted:

Yeah I searched around for the free version before I realized that. On the plus side I wasted 15 minutes of work time trying to find it.

I noticed it has a mono version. I might try it with ASP.NET 5 on linux. I know it's basically a tech demo but it should be enough for my lovely hobby apps.

parts of mono are probably pretty decent, math.net has been on it for A While. i think at least one primary dev works primarily in a mono environment, judging from their page

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

rainbow parens owns. smartparens tries to match delimiters for you automatically and maybe i just dont know how to use it but it blows

i hate autoindenters/etc for whatever reason. i think they're meant for people who are more intentional about what they type

i like ctrl-k ctrl-d in visual studio or gg=G in vim

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i tried react a bit

my initial impression is I would need to be forced to use it over knockout or even angular because it's not overtly better.
reactive programming is a good idea but both knockout and angular have that capability if you build it right

maybe using components and rendering explicitly is faster than just using $scope/observables and dom attributes?

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 16, 2015

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah smart parents is good if you know how to use it because it's way more than just delimiter matching. it's got commands for basically everything you would do with an s-expr. it's really only useful in a lisp though.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
angular is bad and I haven't really used knockout so react wins by default

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Lone_Strider posted:

I'm not sure I totally understand, but if you're using visual studio 2015 or visual studio code, you've got support for jsx syntax built-in w/o any additional packages or addons. are you just looking to get some kind of webapi spun up so you can point your react code to endpoints to get data?

exactly it. i want this to work as well for a website (which is our initial semi-big project in ~three months) as well as an iOS app built on react native. it's why my question was so vaguely worded. at the same time i'd like to get the most out of react with server-side rendering. i'll just have to read up more on reactjs.net i guess? i'm very comfortable with working in c#

knockout isn't really an answer for me here. i know it's your fav shaggar.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

play not to lose is the winning strategy in poker. if your play is unexploitable then every non-optimal move your opponent makes is more money for you. also the solution works for no limit, but they don't yet have the resources to actually simulate the problem space

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i hope the open bot tournament is razz or something

razz is fun

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Go is much harder than poker because there are way more states - evaluating a go position is exptime-complete.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Luigi Thirty posted:

i hope the open bot tournament is razz or something

razz is fun

It's razz and the tournament is actually a Voight-Kampff test. If the bots rage quit they pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Ochowie posted:

Is there a c# or java equivalent to numpy/scipy/pandas?

no

• Locked thread