Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Inflammatory posted:

yelv doesn't give one, boze does.

Er, right. Yeah. I hosed up!

PRADA SLUT posted:

What are the best 30 "default" skells to equip your party with as kickaround skells? I've heard the Verus since it includes a G-Buster?

G-Buster is really solid because if something is staggarable, it'll happen. Even Telathia Plume. The Scythe on the Amduscias is also pretty good but I don't know if the party will intelligently get the rear bonus damage on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I've been using the Inferno to really good results, can't wait till i can actually afford to buy more frames so my dudes stop having to walk everywhere :v:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I've been using the Inferno to really good results, can't wait till i can actually afford to buy more frames so my dudes stop having to walk everywhere :v:

The AI seems incapable of keeping their skells alive in my experience so they tend to end up walking a lot of the time anyways.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

kirbysuperstar posted:

Er, right. Yeah. I hosed up!

G-Buster is really solid because if something is staggarable, it'll happen. Even Telathia Plume. The Scythe on the Amduscias is also pretty good but I don't know if the party will intelligently get the rear bonus damage on it.

The AI hates butts and getting bonus rear damage

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Okay, I really don't get the mission difficulty ratings. Level 28 monster with special area effect attacks that wipe out a level 30 character in one shot? Four stars. Level 15 monster that I've been kicking around since I was level 12? Seven stars. I mean I recognize that for every size class above man size you really need to add 5 levels to your estimate of how tough the beast is, but that was really absurd.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Random Stranger posted:

Okay, I really don't get the mission difficulty ratings. Level 28 monster with special area effect attacks that wipe out a level 30 character in one shot? Four stars. Level 15 monster that I've been kicking around since I was level 12? Seven stars. I mean I recognize that for every size class above man size you really need to add 5 levels to your estimate of how tough the beast is, but that was really absurd.

levels and difficulty stars and colors tend to mean absolutely jack poo poo aside from if a thing is way higher level than you it'll probably ruin your day. Even low level monsters can put up a real mean fight for max level characters sometimes.

Test the waters by trying to punch a monster while on foot, if it roasts your rear end sideways in one hit just move on for now.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
So there are the super mega Katanas that drop off the mega level tyrants, are there any of these legendary weapons for other classes? Specifically a photon saber?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's kind of inconsiderate of vandham and lin to let you test out the working flight module after making doug put up with all the crappy ones

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Learning Vandham's first name made me love him even more.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Wow, that Chapter 11 cutscene does not work well with a silent protagonist.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Has anyone found a mega boss who drops level 60 Skell Suits or what drops the best Dual Guns?

Also I'm kind of lost on how the formula works for skell "fuel efficiency up" augments, they say things like "Boosts fuel efficiency by 100% when fighting in a Skell" but what value is "Fuel Efficiency" anyway? I'm firing my Ares mega laser and it costs sliiiiightly less fuel than it normally is supposed to while I'm wearing 250% better fuel efficiency worth of augments on my gear.

Oddly enough Phoenix Wings still costs 200 fuel, the normal amount. The mega ares laser cost 1365 instead of the listed 1500. Chakrams cost the listed 50 fuel. Gatlings costs the same listed 200 fuel as well.

Starting to wonder if there is some hidden threshold or maybe the Aghasura Cannon does not actually use the fuel it has listed on screen and maybe these stupid augments aren't actually doing anything.

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 16, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zombie Defiler posted:

Has anyone found a mega boss who drops level 60 Skell Suits or what drops the best Dual Guns?

Caeser, The Hundred Eyed drops Sakuraba 60 Skell suits. Go to FN101, jump off the cliff north then go into the cave to your left.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Caeser, The Hundred Eyed drops Sakuraba 60 Skell suits. Go to FN101, jump off the cliff north then go into the cave to your left.

Thanks.
jfc THIS GAME there are so many cool hidden little fuckin' places everywhere, I walked into this cave and was like "oh holy poo poo look at this" I was expecting some bland normal cave and NOPE.

Caeser is a chump and I can just autoattack him with my skell until he dies, but sadly the skell wear has all manner of random rear end bullshit augs on it and once in a while it'll have Drive: ____

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 16, 2015

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
You can also get the Grenada skell suit from a tyrant close to 406 in Sylvalum. You go toward the giant wall to the south and there's an opening there. Look up and there is a cave halfway up the chasm opening. The tyrant is in the back, hiding in the ground. He's level 75, though, and will crush you if you can't kill him really fast.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It just hit me, we are a part of BLADE and in this planet we are the aliens. We are the xeno BLADE ...and these are our chronicles.

X

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I feel like I should mention that the Ares comes with nunchucks, and the rebel male voiceset does a Bruce Lee scream when he uses them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So Ares is like buying an alienware laptop versus your regular skell where you can build your own computer.

Also could anyone recommend a good build for say, an Amdusias, Inferno, Verus, and the other medium sized skell whose name escapes me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I also traded up my Inferno for an Amdusias and handed the Inferno down to Alexa and the idiot went and wrecked my badass megazord which had survived tons of tyrants and a good long while against Zu Pharg on my first attempt, 30 seconds into that boss battle.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

brainwrinkle posted:

Wow, that Chapter 11 cutscene does not work well with a silent protagonist.

It pretty much soured me on the game for a good bit; I bum rushed the story mode after that. The game is good, but the story really doesn't work with a silent protagonist. All the side stuff is great though.

Valleyant fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 16, 2015

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Valliantstu posted:

It pretty much soured me on the game for a good bit; I bum rushed the story mode after that. The game is good, but the story really doesn't work with a silent protagonist. All the side stuff is great though.

Isn't Elma the protagonist? You're just kinda her mute helper monkey camera viewpoint who only gets real chatty in combat.

That is mission fuckin' critical critter poo, you have to collect that dung, team Elma!

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 16, 2015

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm going to finish up the story to get an easier way to grind up affinity on these ~12 characters I have at 2 hearts. (vague chapter 11 discussion) I think the resolution to the chapter mostly justified it, but in the moment it was terrible. It's an interesting direction to take, but rather idealistic. Sucks to have your agency removed like that though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zombie Defiler posted:

Isn't Elma the protagonist? You're just kinda her mute helper monkey camera viewpoint who only gets real chatty in combat.

yeah but there are some scenes where the lack of voice acting is just really weird and bad to watch, plus a lot of scenes have bad/nonexistent cinematography

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Looper posted:

yeah but there are some scenes where the lack of voice acting is just really weird and bad to watch, plus a lot of scenes have bad/nonexistent cinematography

Chapter 5 especially where your character is meant to be screaming in pain and is gesticulating wildly but nope no sound.
And they made your main character so chatty outside of cutscenes. I should try playing with the other voices to see how they compare, personality wise, to the Warrior voice set.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

brainwrinkle posted:

I'm going to finish up the story to get an easier way to grind up affinity on these ~12 characters I have at 2 hearts. (vague chapter 11 discussion) I think the resolution to the chapter mostly justified it, but in the moment it was terrible. It's an interesting direction to take, but rather idealistic. Sucks to have your agency removed like that though.

i wish they'd given you the option to just walk right past lin and kick him in the balls.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I'm supposing I should be making augments, now. I just finished chapter 9, thank god. I'm looking at the augments menu though, and it doesn't seem like much is available. Most things are just ???'d out, and the stuff that isn't is missing a bunch of random-rear end drops.

What augments are important to get? I know that enemy exploits are always worth getting, but it's a pain in the rear end to go back into the menu to switch out augments whenever I begin to fight a totally new enemy type. Or should I leave worrying about augments 'til after the main game?

I also need to increase my revenue. I'm currently making about 50k or so every tick. Is there a way to push that number even higher? Armor is starting to get expensive, not to mention Skell gear :( I also don't know where to get more research probes aside from randomly getting them from treasures 'n poo poo. Can they be bought?

EDIT: I'm also wondering if I shouldn't be figuring out a different way to get armor. I want more greens and blues. How do I get them? In the original, you got them as drops off of high-level, unique enemies - I sometimes see that happen here, but not as much. I haven't gone after many tyrants, though, maybe that's the problem?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 16, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zombie Defiler posted:

Given the snarky/deadpan dialogue options, I like to think of the player as the Garrus to her Shepard.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Looper posted:

So many scenes have a few seconds of everyone staring until someone decides to react to something. It reminds me of an N64 game sometimes

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The huge pauses between dialogue lines are awful. The lack of effort put into the character acting and shot composition really hurts too, after the first game did incredibly well with those aspects.

If I'm spending most of my time in cutscenes spinning the camera around for visual stimulation, that's a bad sign. The fact that the player is even allowed to do this during major story sequences makes it feel like nobody cared about those parts.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Supercar Gautier posted:

The huge pauses between dialogue lines are awful. The lack of effort put into the character acting and shot composition really hurts too, after the first game did incredibly well with those aspects.

If I'm spending most of my time in cutscenes spinning the camera around for visual stimulation, that's a bad sign. The fact that the player is even allowed to do this during major story sequences makes it feel like nobody cared about those parts.

skip the scene, those scenes are never interesting anyways

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My infinite overdrive dual guns and lightsaber build hit fruition and holy poo poo is overdrive intense when you get it to last longer than 10 seconds. Its a babby training wheels build but that just makes it slow and steady I guess.

Pollyanna posted:

So I'm supposing I should be making augments, now. I just finished chapter 9, thank god. I'm looking at the augments menu though, and it doesn't seem like much is available. Most things are just ???'d out, and the stuff that isn't is missing a bunch of random-rear end drops.

What augments are important to get? I know that enemy exploits are always worth getting, but it's a pain in the rear end to go back into the menu to switch out augments whenever I begin to fight a totally new enemy type. Or should I leave worrying about augments 'til after the main game?

I also need to increase my revenue. I'm currently making about 50k or so every tick. Is there a way to push that number even higher? Armor is starting to get expensive, not to mention Skell gear :( I also don't know where to get more research probes aside from randomly getting them from treasures 'n poo poo. Can they be bought?

EDIT: I'm also wondering if I shouldn't be figuring out a different way to get armor. I want more greens and blues. How do I get them? In the original, you got them as drops off of high-level, unique enemies - I sometimes see that happen here, but not as much. I haven't gone after many tyrants, though, maybe that's the problem?
I think for the most part you need to choose cash or miranium storage because they both abuse the same sort of duplicator and booster set up. But assuming you want cash (you probably do), there's a node connected to 4 other nodes in Oblivia that has 2 sightseeing spots. Put the duplicator on there, a booster on one of the neighbors without sightseeing spots, and 3 of your highest level science probes on the remaining.

Enemy exploit and accuracy are the lowest effort intro to skell mods and will do you for a while. You don't need to do a ton of exploit augment juggling if you don't want, if you try and fight something big and need bigger hits, set up the augments, or don't and ignore it.

The easiest way to get gear is to strap a Phoenix to an Amdusias with some humanoid and mechanoid exploit mods and maybe a ranged accuracy mod, and flying it into an enemy camp and blowing it the gently caress up. There's drop tables for different enemies for specific types of gear I think but some cool intergalactic level 50 skell gear at least seems fairly uniform and its not like blowing up entire camps is a huge burden.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
getting flight reminded me that this game is at its best when you say gently caress missions and just go off exploring

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
what is counter spike damage

why is this game so bad at explaining things

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

how the hell do you reach tyrant desdemona

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Cake Attack posted:

how the hell do you reach tyrant desdemona

Desdemonda the Subterranean correct? You're suppose to come back with a Skell to make the jump across to him.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

instead, i just shot him with a sniper rifle for 10 minutes

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

instead, i just shot him with a sniper rifle for 10 minutes

Raygun also works.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Boy my pals sure do run through their skell fuel real quickly. Should I just be leaving staggered enemies alone so my party members can bind them for fuel regen or?

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Money: Place your sightseeing probes on locations with 2 sightseeing points you've discovered. Slam down more probes, the answer is almost always get more probe locations. I'm pulling down 113,480 right now, and I was pulling in more than that (approx 160k) before I changed my setup to focus on miranium storage. if you have duplicator probes you can set them up connected to sightseeing probes (even if they aren't all on 2s, even 1 sightseeing spot plus a duplicator is fine) and make a ton of money by linking a duplicator and a booster.

Armor: Gonna assume you are not level 60 yet, and since you want greens/blues you haven't maxed out your arms manufacturers? Get them all to 5, especially Sakuraba. They will start selling you Prime gear (yellow) but the topmost tier (orange: Intergalactic) comes from rare rear end drops.

Augments: Get a mix of Mechanoid/Humanoid slayer XX for ganglion story fights, they are almost all easy to make. Just focusing on Mechanoid slayer XX at first is a solid choice since giant robots are so common. Make sure you have mining probes getting you Marine Rutile for augs. Consider an EXP XX augment for each of your party members, it makes grinding into the next tier of Skell much faster.

TurnipFritter posted:

Boy my pals sure do run through their skell fuel real quickly. Should I just be leaving staggered enemies alone so my party members can bind them for fuel regen or?

NPCs suck rear end at conserving fuel and this is why I stopped buying them their own skells and focused on just kitting out my own and letting those stooges walk. If they have shields/buffs they will activate them and waste fuel EVERY FIGHT regardless of how dangerous the foe is.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So I've finally managed to defeat the Endbringer. I doubt this build will actually let me defeat some of the other superbosses in the game, but I at least have this under my belt at last.

http://imgur.com/wCMQ9gE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I've got a question regarding the end of the trailblazing sidequest. do you ever actually unlock FrontierNav 2? I've finished up part 5 and now its just "waiting to decrypt" indefinitely if this is the end it seems kinda anti-climactic.

• Locked thread