Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Cowcaster posted:

#AllShipsMatter

Actually on this subject while I don't see myself ever playing this game enough to afford an anaconda, it may be possible at some point in the far off future I could afford a Python or a Fer De Lance. Which is considered the better ship?

If you could only have one ship, Python, without a doubt.

But, it will be a lot more expensive to make that combat viable, and it still handles worse, no matter what you spend.

If you just like shooting mans, and don't feel the need to travel great distances, then FDL. You could probably have that and enough left over for a trade-capable Clipper for the price of a decent fighting Python.

And as a fighter, don't write off the Fed assault ship either, that's still very good, just needs rank 5 in the navy, which isn't a stupid grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cowcaster posted:

Actually on this subject while I don't see myself ever playing this game enough to afford an anaconda, it may be possible at some point in the far off future I could afford a Python or a Fer De Lance. Which is considered the better ship?

The Python is the best jack-of-all-trades ship in the game, and is a joy for RES hunting because it can easily power a bunch of big guns and shield boosters and still have power for A-class sensors and KWS. It's also very good for mining and trading. If I could own only one ship, I'd probably pick the Python.

The FdL is a strong combat ship that just got a buff to address some of its weaknesses. It's more nimble than the Python and I think it's quite a bit faster, but it's not as capable a ship for non-combat content as the Python.

I'll toss out a recommendation for the Federal Assault Ship as an intermediate step, as it's inexpensive compared to both of those ships and is both heavily armed and fun to fly. It's basically a big Vulture. You need some Federation rank, which can easily be earned at Arexe by stacking bounty hunting missions and then hitting them all at once, as they all point to the same system. The Imperial Clipper is another popular mid-cost ship, though it can't land at outposts, which limits its usefulness in some cases.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Beta havers,

What do you do to find sentry bots to kill for ground missions? Are they only at the cities?

Cities attack me when I shoot their bots.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
So I got this game during the November sale on steam. I've done maybe 5 or 6 smuggling missions and haven't been caught. I also never get in trouble for speeding so I pretty much just haul rear end and boost inside and around stations, even if I run into someone cause gently caress it. Am I just lucky or am I playing the game right? Also interdictions seem like they're too easy for me to get out of. Are they much harder for slower ships like haulers?

Edit also I guess 1.5 people still get the 64 bit client? I haven't bought horizons but it looks like I can use it :)

Duo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 16, 2015

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Clapping Larry

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I almost burned myself out at Arexe over the last few days and got to Post Captain on Sunday -- I'm curious about how close I am to Rear Admiral. Can't wait to get back in the 'Vette.

I am a mere post commander, and, after like 50+ Arexe missions after ascension, but pre-Horizons, am at 0% in the new progress bar.

It could be that mission-stacking breaks the progression somehow? Wouldn't be the first time :frontear: messed up ranks.

At least I have my Cutter.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Morter posted:

Anyone know how long the discounts will apply to people who have Dangerous?

Not seeing many people sing praises about Horizons, so I'll just take the lack of responses as a "Not worth it." Thanks :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Horizons has been out for only a few hours.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

xiansi posted:

I am a mere post commander, and, after like 50+ Arexe missions after ascension, but pre-Horizons, am at 0% in the new progress bar.

It could be that mission-stacking breaks the progression somehow? Wouldn't be the first time :frontear: messed up ranks.

At least I have my Cutter.

I have zero percent in my fed progress bar as well, but I'm getting rank up missions in stations? haven't picked one up yet, though.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
Is there an easy way to determine if a system has planetary settlements from the Galaxy map? I mean, they've got people on them they're not supposed to be hiding are they?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Derakarsis posted:

Is there an easy way to determine if a system has planetary settlements from the Galaxy map? I mean, they've got people on them they're not supposed to be hiding are they?

I've only visited a couple dozen populated systems after Horizons hit so far, but every single one had settlements on planets with stations, as long as they were landable.

As a rule of thumb, as long as a system has population and landable planets, you'll find settlements on them.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Steam is installing Horizons as a separate game. Is it standalone and I don't need the vanilla installed or do I need both for it to work?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHdf_6tILU

Is this a new feature? Rapid launching

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I decided to pick up Horizons anyway because I'm hopelessly bored :v:. Driving around a planet in i Bootis, and stumbled on a rock of, apparently, bronzite chondrite. I scanned it but uh, what do I actually do with it? Shoot it? Can't seem to just scoop it.

(ed) Shooting appears to have done the job, gave me sulfur and phosphorus. Is this used for something?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 16, 2015

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Switching from the FDL to the FAS was the best thing I ever did. It's like a loving 700 tonne ballerina.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Morter posted:

Not seeing many people sing praises about Horizons, so I'll just take the lack of responses as a "Not worth it." Thanks :v:

That's because we're all playing it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I decided to pick up Horizons anyway because I'm hopelessly bored :v:. Driving around a planet in i Bootis, and stumbled on a rock of, apparently, bronzite chondrite. I scanned it but uh, what do I actually do with it? Shoot it? Can't seem to just scoop it.

(ed) Shooting appears to have done the job, gave me sulfur and phosphorus. Is this used for something?

These should answer most questions about most Horizons things.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Horizons has been out for only a few hours.

It doesn't matter.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Steam is installing Horizons as a separate game. Is it standalone and I don't need the vanilla installed or do I need both for it to work?

I'm glad I'm not the only person here who didn't completely understand this. I was flying around in 1.5 regular elite dangerous wondering where the gently caress my landable planets were. I had assumed it would install like an addon- or through the patcher like any other expansion pack. I appear to have been wrong.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shine posted:

These should answer most questions about most Horizons things.

Yeah maybe I should actually watch those before asking what the hell Glide mode does, for example :v:

I sold my starting Sidewinder and picked up the Eagle that I got on creation, but it doesn't seem to actually have a bay and an SRV. Can't seem to find one to buy, at least at the planetary dock I'm at (Baker's Prospect in Asellus Primus). Do I just need to go somewhere else to find one? How do I use the Galaxy Map to find a system likely to have a place I can get one?

I suck at Elite :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 16, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Black FdL is sexy AF.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Getting the launcher to stay connected while simultaneously downloading seems to be a Sisyphean task.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hi guys, I hate to come in here like a newb Kool-Aid Man but is there another kind of best profit calculator available anywhere?

I've been trying to use Slopey's BPC and it doesn't seem to be updated or it's just outright broken at worst. It doesn't even list more than like 9 systems and I've been getting progressively more frustrated trying to use something that's supposed to be easy to use according to some Youtube videos I've watched.

Any help would be appreciated!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I grabbed a steam key off my Frontier store page, plugged it into steam, steam downloaded Horizons and I was good to go. :shrug:

I like the new menu background:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, I got Elite Dangerous Premium Beta, should I not also get Horizon? When I go to the account manager there is no option to claim the Horizon key.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Derakarsis posted:

Use the system map.

It's the spiky blue halo thing you see here, and the planetary map option will give more info:

That is gently caress all use if you don't have access to the system via the galaxy map. You can sometimes buy that information for a few hundred credits though.

xiansi fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 16, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

So, I got Elite Dangerous Premium Beta, should I not also get Horizon? When I go to the account manager there is no option to claim the Horizon key.

Launch the game (not Steam), it should prompt you to download the new launcher. Once installed you should have the option to install Horizons.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Didn't there used to be a screen down between our legs?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I'm keeping both installed just in case uninstalling one eats my saves

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Launch the game (not Steam), it should prompt you to download the new launcher. Once installed you should have the option to install Horizons.

Ok, so if I use the steam version I wont get it? grr I dont want to redownload the whole drat thing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

I'm keeping both installed just in case uninstalling one eats my saves

Saves aren't stored locally, buddy.

I uninstalled the base game then installed Horizons. Even kept my keybindings!

LumberingTroll posted:

Ok, so if I use the steam version I wont get it? grr I dont want to redownload the whole drat thing.

You'd have to anyways. I guess there's a way to redeem a steam key but I'm not sure how it works.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Saves aren't stored locally, buddy.

I uninstalled the base game then installed Horizons. Even kept my keybindings!

Sorry what I meant to say was I am deleting Elite: Dangerous because now it is a waste of hard drive space, you must've misunderstood.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Didn't there used to be a screen down between our legs?

That has now become the 'role switching' menu, where you do things involving SRV/ship interactions.

Looking down at your crotch is the official new UI.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I know, but there used to be a physical LCD panel there, not a holowindow. :v:

You'd have to anyways. I guess there's a way to redeem a steam key but I'm not sure how it works.

You just log into https://www.frontierstore.net then find this and click it and you should be able to get a steam key from there.

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?

LumberingTroll posted:

Horizons is separate if you get it through steam or use the launcher directly. To get the horizons steam key, I found it by logging into my account and under Partner Keys on the left hand side. I just figured this out, so I'm restarting the download. It either is continuing from the previous download, or downloading through steam somehow is a far faster connection for a dirty American.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
They supposedly updated the VR support in 1.5, right? Am I safe finally to update my rift drivers from something like .5 to something newer?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh hey, forgot about this. Time to give David Braben more money and drive space dune buggies.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

JoeBangles posted:

Horizons is separate if you get it through steam or use the launcher directly. To get the horizons steam key, I found it by logging into my account and under Partner Keys on the left hand side. I just figured this out, so I'm restarting the download. It either is continuing from the previous download, or downloading through steam somehow is a far faster connection for a dirty American.

Yeah, on my account it only lists the Premium Beta key.

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?

LumberingTroll posted:

Yeah, on my account it only lists the Premium Beta key.

Unfortunately, I don't really know what Premium Beta is. I'm guessing you may have purchased it before Elite Dangerous was released? If so, you probably need to give Frontier some cash or something. Goonspeed!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

JoeBangles posted:

Unfortunately, I don't really know what Premium Beta is. I'm guessing you may have purchased it before Elite Dangerous was released? If so, you probably need to give Frontier some cash or something. Goonspeed!

No, I am entitled to Lifetime Membership, and yeah it was paid for before release. Im downloading the horizon client now, just can do it though steam until they send me a steam key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Black Keelback looks rad AF.*

*this probably applies to all ships

• Locked thread