Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

MarshyMcFly posted:

Why dont you just explore every place you come across? Every new place is bound to have some loot.

I've always hated the compass markers going back to Skyrim. I have to turn the HUD completely transparent now which sucks for looting bodies and 3rd person combat. With the markers, I didn't feel like I was exploring, just running until the next landmark turned green and I got some experience. Turning it off, I really feel like I'm exploring, like I'll trudge across a dangerous expanse of waste because I see something cool in the distance, not because I turned there and there was an outline I want to fill in. It's an OCD quirk but one I wish they would let me tweak individually on console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Father Wendigo posted:

Just get Scrounger, and you'll probably end up with more caps in barterable bullets than if you took Cap Collector.

Also this is totally true, I've got like 15k .38 I could sell if I really wanted to and well over 7k of everything else that isn't .44 or .50 ammo that I use (and that isn't weird ammo like cannonballs and mininukes)

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

mackintosh posted:

I just had the strangest "random" encounter. Having nuked the Institute I've just ran into X6-88 around the Nahant police station. Weird.

if you go back to libertalia and explore, there are actually 2 more copies of him there- one at the docks where you first meet him and another on a beachhead where vertibirds usually land when summoned

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...

Squirrel Burger posted:

I've always hated the compass markers going back to Skyrim. I have to turn the HUD completely transparent now which sucks for looting bodies and 3rd person combat. With the markers, I didn't feel like I was exploring, just running until the next landmark turned green and I got some experience. Turning it off, I really feel like I'm exploring, like I'll trudge across a dangerous expanse of waste because I see something cool in the distance, not because I turned there and there was an outline I want to fill in. It's an OCD quirk but one I wish they would let me tweak individually on console.

I guess you could turn the opacity all the way down and take the vans perk. That might be interesting.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Fereydun posted:

if you go back to libertalia and explore, there are actually 2 more copies of him there- one at the docks where you first meet him and another on a beachhead where vertibirds usually land when summoned

A bug then. Probably related to the first courser mission. Should have known better than expect Bethesda to do something clever with the evacuation order.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

MMD3 posted:

So how are people making money? or are you even caring about money? I'm level 30ish and was thinking of taking caps-collector but decided to take strong back instead because I feel like I can make more money just by being able to carry more poo poo back to a base. Still considering caps-collector though at some point to play with building shops. I feel like the only reason I'd want shops is to try to get some of the rarer items.

Forget the water thing. It's too slow and inefficient. Dupe your alien blaster. Don't have an alien blaster? Go get one.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

JackBadass posted:

Forget the water thing. It's too slow and inefficient. Dupe your alien blaster. Don't have an alien blaster? Go get one.

If you're going to do that just console yourself caps

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

a worthy uhh posted:

If you're going to do that just console yourself caps

Not everyone can console.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Just to double check because I saw someone playing who believed this was true. You can't get surplus purified water from just well pumps right? Just the purifiers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Scrounger is better than Cap Collector for money, but you need the latter for some settlement upgrades.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A few observations having just gotten the game.

Dogmeat is a loving idiot and constantly gives away my position, runs off for no reason, and sits on whatever I'm trying to loot. Despite this, I can't stay mad at a dog wearing goggles

The enemy AI is so much better than it was on FO3 and FONV that I'm consistently being reminded of the lovely habits I formed fighting them and have to actually think about what I'm doing.

I can't be the first one to say this, can I assume that It's A Man is universally regarded as the new Johnny Guitar?

And one question. I'm building my first settlement and keep getting a notification to connect devices requiring power to a generator. I had originally built something that required power but put it in storage when I realized I had no copper. Is this a known bug?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

GWBBQ posted:

I can't be the first one to say this, can I assume that It's A Man is universally regarded as the new Johnny Guitar?

Personally I wish I could excise that loving Personality song from the radio

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

GWBBQ posted:

Yeah. I love most of the soundtrack, but god that song is terrible.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
I despise most of the new songs. Not only are they irritating songs but it really breaks the immersion. Yeah, we get it, the radio DJ just happened to find a bunch of tapes that contained only kitsch Nuclear Era novelty songs.

Crawl out through the fallout back to meeeeee
Why doncha crawl out through the fallout back to meeeeee
Crawl out through the fallout
I want her in my wigwam

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ SO much anger. Kill yourself and let the world be more full of love while you are ENRAGED because you set your UI transparency to 100% and now you can't loot anything because you're a stupid rear end in a top hat

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Just to double check because I saw someone playing who believed this was true. You can't get surplus purified water from just well pumps right? Just the purifiers.
Sure you can, as long as your water output is way higher than your total pop on a 1:1 ratio. The big industrial ones are way more efficient but you can def have 12-20 bottles of water every time you come home.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Squirrel Burger posted:

Yeah, we get it, the radio DJ just happened to find a bunch of tapes that contained only kitsch Nuclear Era novelty songs.

Where does it say it's random?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tokelau All Star posted:

Yeah. I love most of the soundtrack, but god that song is terrible.
I am half-convinced that "It's A Man!" is there simply in the game to "out" all of the closet MRA sperglords who're one step away from gunning down a bunch of women for not having sex with them

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

All the new songs suck except Rocket 69 and 60-minute man, both of which own.

Most of the old songs suck too, to be fair.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Funkmaster General posted:

All the new songs suck except Rocket 69 and 60-minute man, both of which own.

Most of the old songs suck too, to be fair.

Both of those songs literally suck out loud. "End of the World" is the best new addition to the soundtrack.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I like shadowed combat armor in terms of looks, but I can't decide what to wear under it. Seems like nothing good and dark-colored works well with shadowed armor except road leathers. What other dark colored under-armor options do I have?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

khy posted:

I like shadowed combat armor in terms of looks, but I can't decide what to wear under it. Seems like nothing good and dark-colored works well with shadowed armor except road leathers. What other dark colored under-armor options do I have?

BOS Officer Uniform (worn by Paladin Brandis when you first find him in the bunker) works well enough. This requires either killing him or (presumably) having maxed out Pickpocket.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 16, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

khy posted:

Flannel shirts are kinda dark. Not sure how dark you're looking for, though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Gonkish posted:

BOS Officer Uniform (worn by Paladin Brandis when you first find him in the bunker) works well enough. This requires either killing him or (presumably) having maxed out Pickpocket.

The green and black underarmor worn by BOS knights works well too. A bit rarer than the orange and black ones but you'll probably find a pair if you check crash sights and big battlefields enough.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JackBadass posted:

Both of those songs literally suck out loud. "End of the World" is the best new addition to the soundtrack.
look at this Good Opinion

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
For Melee, nothing beats Blitz + Grim Reaper Spirit + Gun-fu, and several AP% (Powered? VATS Enhanced?) armor pieces. Target 10 enemies, instacrit 7 of them (w/ sneak attack), probably kill most of them, Grim recharges AP, target the survivors and ruin them. Add in Bloody Mess 5 (kill someone, chance his nearby friends die too) and Melee 4 (hit everyone in front of you) and whole rooms of people are helpless to stop you. Befriend Preston for dessert.

You blink from place to place like Nightcrawler, often ending up behind people. They throw a grenade at you, you reach them before it lands. Sometimes it bugs out and lets you target people on levels above you so you can blink up there, other times it paths wrong and you just force-Supersledge them from 40 meters away. Plus since you're perma-VATS'd you have 90% damage reduction on permanently.

I had a VATS-Enhanced Super Sledge that made this build just completely insane. I had 4 STR and never used power armor since it slowed be down too much, and eventually stopped needing to drug up before fights.

The only thing that ever gave me trouble were ceiling turrets (especially the instakill ones??) since I essentially had to hope for a Force-Smash bug.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 16, 2015

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

JackBadass posted:

Both of those songs literally suck out loud.

While I disagree with this policy,

JackBadass posted:

"End of the World" is the best new addition to the soundtrack.

I do like what you've done here.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Evilreaver posted:

For Melee, nothing beats Blitz + Grim Reaper Spirit + Gun-fu, and several AP% (Powered? VATS Enhanced?) armor pieces. Target 10 enemies, instacrit 7 of them (w/ sneak attack), probably kill most of them, Grim recharges AP, target the survivors and ruin them. Add in Bloody Mess 5 (kill someone, chance his nearby friends die too) and Melee 4 (hit everyone in front of you) and whole rooms of people are helpless to stop you. Befriend Preston for dessert.

You blink from place to place like Nightcrawler, often ending up behind people. They throw a grenade at you, you reach them before it lands. Sometimes it bugs out and lets you target people on levels above you so you can blink up there, other times it paths wrong and you just force-Supersledge them from 40 meters away. Plus since you're perma-VATS'd you have 90% damage reduction on permanently.

I had a VATS-Enhanced Super Sledge that made this build just completely insane. I had 4 STR and never used power armor since it slowed be down too much, and eventually stopped needing to drug up before fights.

The only thing that ever gave me trouble were ceiling turrets (especially the instakill ones??) since I essentially had to hope for a Force-Smash bug.
I VATSed inside of a locked room that I had no skill or NPC available to get me out of, earlier. My character's just that awesome at hitting people with a crowbar

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
This might sound stupid, but I'm at a lost at what to do next in the game. I got the Minutemen to help me build the teleport to the Institute. I met with Father/Shaun, and I met with all the scientists. I wanted to get the serum for Virgil, but I don't have a high enough Computer skill to get into the lab.

If I want to side with the Minutemen, do I just need to do all the quests Garvey gives me? Would I better off going with the BoS or the Railroad?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

The lab has a back entrance. I found it by accident.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

coyo7e posted:

look at this Good Opinion from a handsome man.

Thanks, I feel as good as I look, which is "amazing".

Tokelau All Star posted:

I do like what you've handsomely done here, handsome.

Haha, yeah, I'm pretty good looking.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Does anyone else feel that there's a lot less random terminals with background story poo poo this time around?

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Squirrel Burger posted:

I despise most of the new songs. Not only are they irritating songs but it really breaks the immersion. Yeah, we get it, the radio DJ just happened to find a bunch of tapes that contained only kitsch Nuclear Era novelty songs.

Why doncha crawl out through the fallout back to meeeeee
I want her in my wigwam

Crawl Out Through the Fallout is garbage, but don't you dare talk poo poo about Atom Bomb Baby.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Max Wilco posted:

This might sound stupid, but I'm at a lost at what to do next in the game. I got the Minutemen to help me build the teleport to the Institute. I met with Father/Shaun, and I met with all the scientists. I wanted to get the serum for Virgil, but I don't have a high enough Computer skill to get into the lab.

If I want to side with the Minutemen, do I just need to do all the quests Garvey gives me? Would I better off going with the BoS or the Railroad?

Are you talking about the settlement quests or the quests from the Castle? The settlement quests are radiant and have nothing to do with the story.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

All the songs are good.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Can I not do the Molecular Level quest without joining some chump faction? I hate them all and I'm wondering if there's any hidden alternatives or a DIY solution.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JackBadass posted:

Thanks, I feel as good as I look, which is "amazing".

Haha, yeah, I'm pretty good looking.
I'll keep calling you handsome as long as your gentle fingers are in my pants

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't really care about the music since I don't listen to the radio, but when I started thinking about it it bothers me that all of these songs are licensed 1950s stuff. They were over a century old when the bombs dropped, and there's no hint of newer music than that. I know it's the aesthetic of the series, but everything else clearly kept advancing even if it does retain the same look. Either there was just no place for musicians in the Fallout universe after the 1960s, they existed but all sucked, or the oldies stations were REALLY prepared for armageddon.

Also, Nervous Travis is way better than Confident Travis, and I regret doing that quest every time I hear about some bold claims by our intrepid reporter.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

coyo7e posted:

I'll keep calling you handsome as long as your gentle fingers are in my pants

They don't call me "fastest hands in the south" for nothin'.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Cleretic posted:

I don't really care about the music since I don't listen to the radio, but when I started thinking about it it bothers me that all of these songs are licensed 1950s stuff. They were over a century old when the bombs dropped, and there's no hint of newer music than that. I know it's the aesthetic of the series, but everything else clearly kept advancing even if it does retain the same look. Either there was just no place for musicians in the Fallout universe after the 1960s, they existed but all sucked, or the oldies stations were REALLY prepared for armageddon.

There's like five brand new, post-bomb musics in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm slightly confused. I built a supply line between Sanctuary Hills and the Starlight Drive-In, which I THOUGHT would just pool both workshops together into one big mess but that doesn't work? Like, I just dumped 50 rubber from scrapped tires in sanctuary hills, but when I go to use that rubber to craft some armor upgrades in Starlight it says I have 3/6 rubber.

Am I misunderstanding how it all works?

• Locked thread