Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah she can also be used in sac strategies if you really need or just grind out your opponent by going wide

E: then take a nap afterward because zzzzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yeah she can also be used in sac strategies if you really need or just grind out your opponent by going wide

E: then take a nap afterward because zzzzz

So, Aristocrats.

:getin:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah that could work. Oh good another abzan deck zzzzzz

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

ORI Jace looks boring as hell on his face, but look at that price tag now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Yeah if she hits low teens I'm picking her up in case she ends up busted.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Difference is Vryn's Prodigy does good things that help and is worth his mana.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I agree that Jace doesn't look as powerful as he first is, but he's also 2 mana and has snapcaster mage's ability, whereas Nissa has abilities that do not look anywhere near as powerful. Like, people saw Jace and thought he was potentially playable in several formats, other people disagreed. it doesn't seem like anyone thinks this Nissa is good yet.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

She's no LotV but her plus is actually pretty good protection for a 3 mana walker. I think if there's a heavily green deck that goes wide (elves? GB aristocrats?) they could easily play her.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I said efficient not exciting.

Is making 0/1s every turn worth 3 mana? You can get 2/2s for 4. Because as far as I can tell both of her relevant abilities are terrible versions of Gideon's, even considering the CMC discount.

For Nissa to be good it seems like you'd need a full on tokens strategy complete with Gideon and Intangible Virtue or something. She protects herself I guess, but she also has a 5 turn windup to a not terribly impressive ultimate. I guess there's some Vampiric Rites and/Evolutionary Leap combos where you make a billion dudes and have infinite gas.

I don't know. It feels like they should have just reprinted Worldwaker and seen if she got more play in a different environment.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 16, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Is making 0/1s every turn worth 3 mana? You can get 2/2s for 4. Because as far as I can tell both of her relevant abilities are terrible versions of Gideon's, even considering the CMC discount.

For Nissa to be good it seems like you'd need a full on tokens strategy complete with Gideon and Intangible Virtue or something. She protects herself I guess, but she also has a 5 turn windup to a not terribly impressive ultimate.

I don't know. It feels like they should have just reprinted Worldwaker and seen if she got more play in a different environment.

Nissa is really good dude and you are underestimating both of her abilities on a 1GG walker

E: She and Gideon are going to be very strong and very obnoxious together

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nissa is really good dude and you are underestimating both of her abilities on a 1GG walker

"You are wrong " isn't a take.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

"You are wrong " isn't a take.

yeah but it's accurate

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

it doesn't seem like anyone thinks this Nissa is good yet.

i think this.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

We don't know till we actually play with the cards :speculate:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

yeah but it's accurate

As accurate as any KingofSprings shitpost can be, I guess, given the intentional ambiguity.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
It's Avenger of Zendikar with suspend. Think about it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

Swamp is dark ritual with suspend

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

Except for the part where it isn't at all, right?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

That takes far, far far longer than Avenger of Zendikar, whose strength is how quickly it gets out of hand?

anglachel
May 28, 2012
New Nissa still isn't as bad as new Chandra

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If new Nissa ends up being $5 trash for whatever reason(s) I'll probably pick some up for my jank garbage deck.

Without even knowing the rest of the set I'd say she seems decent in a B/G (or B/G/U maybe? because Whirler Rogue) Aristocrats deck.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

What they are doing it for isn't the point. They should be able to make a living wage at that job that they are very good at.

It's not even close to a full time job, and I'm not sure what being very good at a thing has to do with whether one should be able to make a living wage doing it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

anglachel posted:

New Nissa still isn't as bad as new Chandra

This we can all agree on. New Chandra is hot trash.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Nissa is really what that B/G sacrifice draft deck wants but it's mythic sooooooooooo

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

The difference between Nissa and Gideon is that Nissa's tokens are a + ability, not a 0.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Procrastinator posted:

The difference between Nissa and Gideon is that Nissa's tokens are a + ability, not a 0.

I think they might have different power/toughness too

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

yes I fuckin' love this part about spoiler season :suicide:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Nissa is really what that B/G sacrifice draft deck wants but it's mythic sooooooooooo

This is what I was thinking. The card seems really bad except in that specific deck. It gives the deck a repeatable source of tokens so you can trigger stuff through Anafenza, which is otherwise a huge pain.

Edit: Plus, her -2 with Hangarback in play seems pretty strong.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

ding ding ding

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

suicidesteve posted:

This is what I was thinking. The card seems really bad except in that specific deck. It gives the deck a repeatable source of tokens so you can trigger stuff through Anafenza, which is otherwise a huge pain.

It's a card which provides tangible (albeit dubious) value while ticking up, and gives you a very good chance to win the game if you ult her. I think the card is deceptively powerful, but in need of a deck designed around using her form of advantage.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Dungeon Ecology posted:

yes I fuckin' love this part about spoiler season :suicide:

I always miss the sign ups for the poo poo post contest at spoiler season. I wish the organizer would tell me what the prize is.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I think new Nissa is pretty decent; in a control deck, she provides chump blockers and ends up just giving you life and card advantage. In an Aristocrats deck she could also be good, but a slower deck may like her better.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's really hard to cast Nissa with Calciform Pools. Not that you can't, for instance in legacy you can use Green Mana Battery,

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

It's really hard to cast Nissa with Calciform Pools. Not that you can't, for instance in legacy you can use Green Mana Battery,

Has it occurred to you that this shitpost isn't funny to anybody except yourself?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Shortest Path posted:

Has it occurred to you that this shitpost isn't funny to anybody except yourself?

It's a load bearing post.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"I wish I could read more acerbic posts about mcmagic, and not about weird old cards!" cried out the thread

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

rabidsquid and black potus are loving hilarious sorry your mom vaccinated you as a kid

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

kizudarake posted:

rabidsquid and black potus are loving hilarious sorry your mom vaccinated you as a kid

rabidsquid and black potus (and mcmagic in his capacity as a straight man) are basically the only things keeping this thread readable sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

jassi007 posted:

I wish the organizer would tell me what the prize is.

You get a free username change to "mcmagic" and all your posts are signed "c.o. Narset Transcendent" from now on

• Locked thread