Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

PatMarshall posted:

Just FYI, you probably shouldn't say that.

Yeah, that term has various levels of terribleness, ranging from not-too-awful to full-on-super-lovely-thing-that-you-should-never-say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yeah, that term has various levels of terribleness, ranging from not-too-awful to full-on-super-lovely-thing-that-you-should-never-say.

I've never heard another American say it, but I just assumed it was super racist since that's the only way I've ever heard it used by Europeans in media.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

PatMarshall posted:

Just FYI, you probably shouldn't say that.
says the guy with the eagle feather+football logo av

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You can bread also with pork rinds, which are sold pre-crushed specifically for that purpose in some Hispanic marketplaces. I've used them on chops before, and they're not bad. YMMV on the flavored ones like BBQ and that if you're actually frying them but they baked well.

Myself I picked up a countertop deep fryer ($30 new). I don't fry much and the dutch oven certainly does the trick, I just wanted to make it a bit easier. Going to try Crab Rangoons, which, basically seem to be a pack of cream cheese ($2 or less), pack of artificial crab ($2.50 or less, versus a can of crab at about $8 for 8oz), with some garlic, soy, and whatever else (looking at Worcestershire, green onion, salt, pepper). I have some fish sauce but it says best by ... two years ago. That dolloped in the center of a wonton wrapper ($2.50/60) in the fryer for a bit makes a cool appetizer or snack for entertaining and it's not horrifically expensive. It does however fall well above the bar of $5 complete meals.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
two years is possibly past the date, depending on how thick or thin it was to start with and when in the last two years it was first unsealed... I throw out my fish sauce when there's mold IN it, and I learned from An Asian Roommate.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

coyo7e posted:

says the guy with the eagle feather+football logo av

Oh so you meant it, I was just giving you the benefit of the doubt.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Hey, you asked.

Tried the buttermilk/pickle juice you mentioned above. Pickle juice marinaded the chicken well (bread & butter pickles with added paprika), that part turned out nice. Buttermilk breading came together too well, like bread dough and I couldn't sort it. Stuck to my fingers in a way that makes superglue jealous, and stuck to the chicken not at all. Tried with and without flour, egg wash, whatever. So just went pat dry, flour, egg wash, dredge. Turned out very well, wife came back for seconds. Just need to sort out that buttermilk breading.

Note to all: Aldi's sourdough bread tastes like plain white bread. Boo.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TheNothingNew posted:

Hey, you asked.

Tried the buttermilk/pickle juice you mentioned above. Pickle juice marinaded the chicken well (bread & butter pickles with added paprika), that part turned out nice. Buttermilk breading came together too well, like bread dough and I couldn't sort it. Stuck to my fingers in a way that makes superglue jealous, and stuck to the chicken not at all. Tried with and without flour, egg wash, whatever. So just went pat dry, flour, egg wash, dredge. Turned out very well, wife came back for seconds. Just need to sort out that buttermilk breading.

Note to all: Aldi's sourdough bread tastes like plain white bread. Boo.

Sorry, I should've been more specific. You added too much liquid to the dredge. It should be almost-dry and crumbly, not wet or sticky at all. Only add enough liquid to make it clump a bit, so there's plenty of dry left to stick to the egg. Follow this recipe for specifics.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
buttermilk breading what the hell

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

coyo7e posted:

buttermilk breading what the hell

Considering you add no other salt to the dish(other than right before brining, but how much of that actually stays on?), what's the problem?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

http://imgur.com/G71gIGR

Rice cooker, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, chuck roast, and enough wine to cover it all. Either gonna be a disaster or incredible.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've had a terrible track record with rice cookers because I always burn them badly enough I'm like "poo poo this thing only cost 10-15 bucks - do I reallywant to clean this burnt layer of crap out of it?"

It's actually easier to use a slow cooker or a larger regular cooking pot. The slow cooker would require less attention, and the cook-pot would give a better char when you browned the chuck chunks before adding the rest.

It still looks better than my second round of potato leek ham soup though, I was sloppy with pulling out the bone and cartilage (I gave the earlier, claener one that was just chopped ham to my brother) so it's got a bunch of annoying floaties, but better flavor.

I found if you leave your green onions and/or leeks in a glass or pitcher of water, they will do quite well for weeks, and if they get sunlight, even longer.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 16, 2015

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

My entire apartment smells like wine. I committed the sin of popping the top to look at my creation, wasting some cooking time, but it was worth it to find that everything looks good. Wine stew is on track

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pharmaskittle posted:

My entire apartment smells like wine. I committed the sin of popping the top to look at my creation, wasting some cooking time, but it was worth it to find that everything looks good. Wine stew is on track

I was collecting empties a few days ago and found a half-full bottle of kombucha with a screw top. It left a dent in the ceiling, and a six-foot swatch of sticky sweet liquid everywhere.

As far as indoor kitchen fuckups go, I was pretty proud.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Pharmaskittle posted:

http://imgur.com/G71gIGR

Rice cooker, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, chuck roast, and enough wine to cover it all. Either gonna be a disaster or incredible.

it took me a second to see it but you definitely had to break out tools to get that wine bottle open, I hope this meal was worth the effort

you didn't have a corkscrew, or even a shoe?

fake edit: nope just saw the plastic cork, a shoe won't work

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

But Not Tonight posted:

it took me a second to see it but you definitely had to break out tools to get that wine bottle open, I hope this meal was worth the effort

you didn't have a corkscrew, or even a shoe?

fake edit: nope just saw the plastic cork, a shoe won't work

Yeah I didn't realize I don't own a corkscrew until I had already added everything else to the pot. The screw and claw hammer method worked no problem though.

It came out great, but it was too late when it finished for me to try thickening the wine and juice into gravy. I'll do that today and probably put it over rice.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I've had a terrible track record with rice cookers because I always burn them badly enough I'm like "poo poo this thing only cost 10-15 bucks - do I reallywant to clean this burnt layer of crap out of it?"
don't buy cheaply made rice cookers then?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I've never burnt anything in a rice cooker and I'm hilariously incompetent. I just put the rice and water in and kind of leave it and it beeps at me when its done.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

coyo7e posted:

Yeah, this is only a problem if you have a bad rice cooker (I bought a terrible one the first time on sale and had a similar experience).

If you get a decent one with fuzzy logic of some kind it is virtually impossible to screw up. Like I can dump in the rice and water to the level labeled in the rice cooker and hit one button and it will cook flawlessly every time and keep warm for 12 hours once it's done. I've had the same rice cooker for 5 years and I use it at least 2x a week.

I personally have a sanyo that I got for $50ish dollars but my model was discontinued.

The rice cooker is one of the few gadget-y kitchen items that I own that I think is unequivocally worth the money and saves a lot of time / effort.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, my rice cooker has seen me through rice and tuna times I was so poor I was shuffling naked around my apartment in pitch darkness with no AC in Mississippi summer, and today it's making me wine roasts. Truly a friend for all seasons.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If you have a China or Japan or Korea town near you, check out the housewares stores. There are some fuckin' Cadillac rice cookers out there, hooooo boy.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
My brother, to whom I have not spoken in two years, just sent me a second rice cooker in the mail. My current one is nicer. We are returning it to Bed, Bath and Beyooooooond for sheets that we will have gay sex on because it makes him uncomfortable*.

By the way: a thing I just remembered existed because it was on Budget Bytes is Better Than Bouillion. It's basically super dehydrated broth that you can throw in to recipes or make your own broth with. If you're like me and you never have time to cook a chicken carcass down to nothing and then package, freeze and store large quantities of broth, BtB is under $6 and will last you probably at least 6 months to a year. It's probably not great for making a soup from scratch, but I add it to rice in the rice cooker to simulate cooking in broth, the beef version with water in the slow cooker for red beans and rice, etc.

*probably one of those stovetop espresso pot things actually.

Marius Pontmercy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 18, 2015

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Eponine posted:

By the way: a thing I just remembered existed because it was on Budget Bytes is Better Than Bouillion. It's basically super dehydrated broth that you can throw in to recipes or make your own broth with. If you're like me and you never have time to cook a chicken carcass down to nothing and then package, freeze and store large quantities of broth, BtB is under $6 and will last you probably at least 6 months to a year. It's probably not great for making a soup from scratch, but I add it to rice in the rice cooker to simulate cooking in broth, the beef version with water in the slow cooker for red beans and rice, etc.
Having to make sure to adjust for the salt content and not being able to make a consomme are one of the few downsides to these cubes. I don't really get why it's so demonized.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eponine posted:

*probably one of those stovetop espresso pot things actually.

Get a burr grinder.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

CommonShore posted:

Get a burr grinder.

We have two burr grinders! One is a hand grinder and one is an electric one. We also have a Chemex, a fancy variable temperature hot water heater, a French press and a fancy scale with a timer for the Chemex. And a ceramic pour over. We...take coffee seriously. Oh! and we're getting a technivorm knock off for Christmas from my in-laws. Very excited.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eponine posted:

We have two burr grinders! One is a hand grinder and one is an electric one. We also have a Chemex, a fancy variable temperature hot water heater, a French press and a fancy scale with a timer for the Chemex. And a ceramic pour over. We...take coffee seriously. Oh! and we're getting a technivorm knock off for Christmas from my in-laws. Very excited.

But you don't have three.

Really I'm just excited because I just got a burr grinder. I had been complaining that I had never seen one on sale, and lo!, I turned the corner and there was a discounted one. I haven't tried it yet. It's a dinky black-and-decker one, but if I'm gentle I expect it can last me.

If you have all of these items, why do you need the percolator/moka pot? Have you gone so far down the coffee rabbit hole that you're like "well I want coffee, but not that coffee"?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

CommonShore posted:

But you don't have three.

Really I'm just excited because I just got a burr grinder. I had been complaining that I had never seen one on sale, and lo!, I turned the corner and there was a discounted one. I haven't tried it yet. It's a dinky black-and-decker one, but if I'm gentle I expect it can last me.

If you have all of these items, why do you need the percolator/moka pot? Have you gone so far down the coffee rabbit hole that you're like "well I want coffee, but not that coffee"?

It tastes different and I like to experiment with coffee. For example, I like my daily chemex morning coffee with a light roast, but I prefer to make French Press with dark beans and then add cream to it. Pourovers are nice when you want to make a single cup of coffee and I think with the stovetop moka I can make espresso without having to buy an espresso machine.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Eponine posted:

By the way: a thing I just remembered existed because it was on Budget Bytes is Better Than Bouillion.

It really is so much better than boxed broth or cubes.

I got a 3 cup Salton rice cooker for free from relatives because it "boils over" (it doesn't, they need to wash their rice) and it works just fine. I also got one of those microwave rice cookers but it didn't work too well because my microwave is garbage and it doesn't take much longer than my rice cooker anyway.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

While we're on the subject of rice, a recipe I've had from the cajun thread has been pretty good to me as well. What you do is treat the rice like a noodle instead of rice and boil it in water as such for 10 minutes and drain. This keeps the grains separate and just cooks them to the equivalent of al dente, so they're not mushy or stuck to the bottom of the pan.

The specific recipe called for 1 cup rice, 1 quart water, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp salt, and an optional 1-2 tbsp butter. Add salt, bay leaves, and water to pot, boil, add rice, stir just once, boil for 10 minutes, taste rice to make sure it's not too crunchy, drain, remove bay leaves. Optionally, dump rice onto a baking sheet with butter on top and place in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes to dry. The butter stops the rice from sticking to itself.

It's a pretty great recipe for any dish that incorporates the rice, like soups, cabbage rolls, or red beans and rice. Simply cook the rice, and add to the finished product at the very end. If you wanna go poorer, you can take out the bay leaves and not opt to dry the rice in the oven, thereby saving the butter. Yeah, it requires more attention than a rice cooker, but the end result is really worth it in most applications.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I think someone in this thread did mention ovening rice as a final step but is 10 minutes still feels like it'll be too crunchy

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I think someone in this thread did mention ovening rice as a final step but is 10 minutes still feels like it'll be too crunchy

It's all about personal taste. I like my rice to have that slight bite to it, but sometimes yeah, it does do better around 11 or 12 minutes. I wouldn't go longer than that though. You can definitely taste it at 10 though and see how it is and let it go a bit longer if it's too crunchy.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The type of grain (long, short, etc) will affect the cooking time a great deal won't it?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

nuru posted:

The type of grain (long, short, etc) will affect the cooking time a great deal won't it?

I don't actually know how much of an effect that would have. I've usually done this to medium grain rice, so i guess the longer varieties would need more time, but I'm not sure how much more time.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Eponine posted:

I think with the stovetop moka I can make espresso without having to buy an espresso machine.

You think wrong. A moka pot will make strong coffee but not espresso.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Booooooo. Anyone want a rice cooker?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Eponine posted:

weren't you the poster who was bitching about how there's just simply not enough space in your kitchen to store anything like two months ago

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Illinois Smith posted:

weren't you the poster who was bitching about how there's just simply not enough space in your kitchen to store anything like two months ago

Priorities, man. Actually all of our coffee stuff is in one place. It's more of a food storage issue since I hate leaving cans/bags in plain sight.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Here's a cool tomatillo salsa I just got from my girlfriend's abuelita, great for breakfast burritos or anything else you'd salsa up. Super cheap; we got the veggies from the local Hispanic market. One pound tomatillos, three serrano chili peppers, couple cloves of garlic, salt to taste. We peeled the leafy greens off the tomatillos, and removed the stems from the chiles. Then, we roasted the peppers and tomatillos until they got a good char on them, ten to twenty minutes on stove top. Remove from heat. Chop the peppers first in a food processor, then add in the tomatillos and garlic. After it's blended smooth, salt to taste. Great flavor. After this first batch, I'd probably add some more garlic and maybe a habanero to take the heat up a notch, since the serranos seemed a little mild. It was like, maybe two bucks for all the ingredients and was a great addition to the breakfast burritos we made.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

bartlebee posted:

Here's a cool tomatillo salsa I just got from my girlfriend's abuelita, great for breakfast burritos or anything else you'd salsa up. Super cheap; we got the veggies from the local Hispanic market. One pound tomatillos, three serrano chili peppers, couple cloves of garlic, salt to taste. We peeled the leafy greens off the tomatillos, and removed the stems from the chiles. Then, we roasted the peppers and tomatillos until they got a good char on them, ten to twenty minutes on stove top. Remove from heat. Chop the peppers first in a food processor, then add in the tomatillos and garlic. After it's blended smooth, salt to taste. Great flavor. After this first batch, I'd probably add some more garlic and maybe a habanero to take the heat up a notch, since the serranos seemed a little mild. It was like, maybe two bucks for all the ingredients and was a great addition to the breakfast burritos we made.

When you say you roasted the peppers and tomatillos on the stove top do you mean on the burner in a pan with oil? I'm new to all of this and have always assumed that roasting happens on the inside of the magical cooking box :shobon:

I assume you leave all of the seeds in the peppers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...
Anyone have any advice on what to do with the legs and crown of a pigeon?

If you have a game shoot near you going beating is a great way to get a brace of whatever birds come down for free* and they tend to be every couple of weekends over the winter!

Usually we've been getting pheasant and partridge. The pigeon was a lucky shot on keepers day and I thought I'd give it a go...