Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And now Susanoomon is confirmed for Digimon World Next Order.

Yes, yes. The salt must flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You are a weird, weird little dude.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Guys, this is awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcz2vHLqtNw

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

V-Jump page for -next 0rder-.

covers the "Executor", and confirms Imperialdramon Paladin Mode, Jesmon, and Mastemon for the game as well.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

It was like being twelve again! :neckbeard:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

It was a mismatch from the beginning, but I would have liked to see Metalgreymon in action before they skipped right to Wargreymon.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

I guess that MTV article should have an edit to include this. Preferably while saying "Plus we have pseudo-scientific proof that Digimon can whoop Pokemon rear end."

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Nobody on either side of the Pokemon vs Digimon debate, pointless as it was, ever thought Pokemon were stronger than Digimon. That wasn't a thing. Pokemon are animal monsters that can shoot fireballs when they grow up, Digimon are basically Dragon Ball Z characters at the higher levels.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Okay this was cool just for Uncontrollable from Xenoblade X showing up randomly as the warp evolution theme.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
That was about the least surprising outcome in existence.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The 15th Anniversary D-3 will have all six primary 02 Digimon (as opposed to spread out across versions), and up to 150 different Digimon with at least 80 being accessible by the player. This includes Imperialdramon Paladin Mode, who was previously only on the D-Arc due to his late appearance.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Neat. It's too hot to get my nickers in a twist over anything like this. besides I like the 02 designs.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I wonder if they'll keep Vikemon as Armadillomon's mega now that they've replaced Plesiomon with him. And is there any word on if the weird digimental/digi-egg search feature is back? I never understood how it worked but I think it detected wireless signals or something?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I imagine that will be retained in some capacity.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Vikemon never seemed to fit Armadillomon's line that well. It wasn't even armored or anything and had flavor text mentioning that it had Zudomon subordinates. I hope Armadillomon gets a new, more fitting Mega if only to make his line keep a more consistent "armor" theme.

Hawkmon can keep his line because it was all very fitting for a bird-digimon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

http://bokutachinodigitalworld.blogspot.mx/2015/12/tri-ketsui-info-animedia-feburary-issue.html?m=1

Some summary info on Determination. Hot springs, bikinis, Joe being indecisive, Mimi being awesome, yadda yadda yadda OGREMON IS BACK!!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

The 15th Anniversary D-3 will have all six primary 02 Digimon (as opposed to spread out across versions), and up to 150 different Digimon with at least 80 being accessible by the player. This includes Imperialdramon Paladin Mode, who was previously only on the D-Arc due to his late appearance.

I want that chibi Omegamon

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Christ, seeing Tai and Davis together at the same age in official artwork really hammers home the point of Toei trying to re-invent the wheel and make him Tai 2.0 but with racing flames.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Pretty sure those are there as a visual reference to Fladramon, dude.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

nine-gear crow posted:

Christ, seeing Tai and Davis together at the same age in official artwork really hammers home the point of Toei trying to re-invent the wheel and make him Tai 2.0 but with racing flames.

Holy poo poo. The faces look exactly the same.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That was one thing I never liked as a kid, the fact that the 02 cast except for...

Well just Davis Yolie and Cody I guess

Get random COOL BRO clothes when they go into the Digital World when no one else does. It makes no real sense, looks kind of stupid, and just further adds to the general feel that the Digital World became a playground and not a mysterious dangerous world they have to be careful in.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Get random COOL BRO clothes when they go into the Digital World when no one else does. It makes no real sense, looks kind of stupid, and just further adds to the general feel that the Digital World became a playground and not a mysterious dangerous world they have to be careful in.

That was a plot point though and why they freaked out when they finally faced enemies that had to be put down for good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That was a plot point though and why they freaked out when they finally faced enemies that had to be put down for good.

That'd be fine, if that ever really mattered.

Because that never REALLY did come to a head. It sort of kind of did with Black War Greymon, kind of, but they got to avoid it by him....succeeding at everything he was trying to do and then going away.

They never actually fought and killed any evil Digimon that wasn't either SkullSatanmon or Myotismon, and they never actually brought up the whole 'they HAVE to be stopped!" thing because they already played that card against Black War Greymon only for it to go nowhere.

Otherwise all of the Digimon they killed were conveniently 'not real' or they just didn't dwell on it like with Chimeramon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

That'd be fine, if that ever really mattered.

Because that never REALLY did come to a head. It sort of kind of did with Black War Greymon, kind of, but they got to avoid it by him....succeeding at everything he was trying to do and then going away.

They never actually fought and killed any evil Digimon that wasn't either SkullSatanmon or Myotismon, and they never actually brought up the whole 'they HAVE to be stopped!" thing because they already played that card against Black War Greymon only for it to go nowhere.

Otherwise all of the Digimon they killed were conveniently 'not real' or they just didn't dwell on it like with Chimeramon.

You're forgetting Lady Devimon and Marine Devimon, plus the fact those were actual Digimons and not 'golems' like the Dark Spire digimons was the whole root of the conflict for the kids. I thought it was interesting contrast with the way Adventure handled its villians (that wasn't a real issue due the Village of Beginning. Until the siege of Myotismon and the arrival of the Dark Masters that is)

Besides, in general the overall tone of 02 was way more hopeful and bright than Adventure (even if had some really dark themes with Ken's whole character and arc).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You're forgetting Lady Devimon and Marine Devimon, plus the fact those were actual Digimons and not 'golems' like the Dark Spire digimons was the whole root of the conflict for the kids. I thought it was interesting contrast with the way Adventure handled its villians (that wasn't a real issue due the Village of Beginning. Until the arrival of the Dark Masters that is)

Besides, in general the overall tone of 02 was way more hopeful and bright than Adventure (even if had some really dark themes with Ken's whole character and arc).

I think it ties back into the problems I had with the show as a kid- I didn't like how much the threat level had been lowered.

Of the enemies the kids face, only in theory Daemon and MaloMyotismon were comparable to the Dark Masters or Venom Mytoismon- none of them were of the same scale as Apocalymon. And Daemon was barely around and just kind of wasted.

Otherwise the most powerful foe they had to fight...was just as powerful as War Greymon, maybe actually weaker in the end since War Greymon had the kids to boost his power and when they did fight, he was holding back the entire time.

For me, as a kid, it was a fantastic action adventure kids series with incredible stakes that you just didn't get in other shows.

Here were this group of friends with all unique, distinct personalities, and they all had monster allies that also had unique distinct personalities themselves, and they were lost in a strange, backwards world that made no sense, while the literal loving Devil wanted them dead for the crime of being alive.

They fight their way from danger to danger, being torn apart from one another and eventually finding each other again, and then fight their way up to his very doorstep where he reveals his true power- and none of them can stop him. It takes the death of one of their own to stop him, only for him to die laughing at the futility of it all because he's no where near the most powerful or dangerous threat they must face!

But they have to keep pushing forward regardless, even knowing that their lives are on the line and things are not ever easy for them. Even the ridiculous Etemon is a legit threat, physically more powerful than any of their Digimon and constantly planning against them.

But they push on and on and develop as characters and people, grow into who they should be.

It's a series of incredible character development, motivation, heroics, and fantastic villains.

For a kids series in an era where the word Die was taboo, that was incredible to witness, especially with how serious and mature it handled itself.

It also touched on some VERY adult, but VERY important for children, themes, like divorce and adoption.

Tai had some heavy poo poo hanging over him, having put his sickly sister in danger before and getting slapped by his own mother for it and how that affects him to this day.

All of them did really.

Season 2 lacked a lot of that and what it did have, with Ken, was squandered after his arc was over. I loved Chimeramon and his entire arc, but then it all kind of collapsed in on itself.

It's why I can't say season 2 is the worst Digimon thing ever made- that would be Xros Wars and its sequel. Those are just...ugh.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

mikeycp posted:

Holy poo poo. The faces look exactly the same.

That's a trait of Adventure character design in general.

Man.

No one really can post anything related to 02 without someone going off on a tangent about how it ruined Christmas or something.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

I think it ties back into the problems I had with the show as a kid- I didn't like how much the threat level had been lowered.

Of the enemies the kids face, only in theory Daemon and MaloMyotismon were comparable to the Dark Masters or Venom Mytoismon- none of them were of the same scale as Apocalymon. And Daemon was barely around and just kind of wasted.

Otherwise the most powerful foe they had to fight...was just as powerful as War Greymon, maybe actually weaker in the end since War Greymon had the kids to boost his power and when they did fight, he was holding back the entire time.

For me, as a kid, it was a fantastic action adventure kids series with incredible stakes that you just didn't get in other shows.

Here were this group of friends with all unique, distinct personalities, and they all had monster allies that also had unique distinct personalities themselves, and they were lost in a strange, backwards world that made no sense, while the literal loving Devil wanted them dead for the crime of being alive.

They fight their way from danger to danger, being torn apart from one another and eventually finding each other again, and then fight their way up to his very doorstep where he reveals his true power- and none of them can stop him. It takes the death of one of their own to stop him, only for him to die laughing at the futility of it all because he's no where near the most powerful or dangerous threat they must face!

But they have to keep pushing forward regardless, even knowing that their lives are on the line and things are not ever easy for them. Even the ridiculous Etemon is a legit threat, physically more powerful than any of their Digimon and constantly planning against them.

But they push on and on and develop as characters and people, grow into who they should be.

It's a series of incredible character development, motivation, heroics, and fantastic villains.

For a kids series in an era where the word Die was taboo, that was incredible to witness, especially with how serious and mature it handled itself.

It also touched on some VERY adult, but VERY important for children, themes, like divorce and adoption.

Tai had some heavy poo poo hanging over him, having put his sickly sister in danger before and getting slapped by his own mother for it and how that affects him to this day.

All of them did really.

Season 2 lacked a lot of that and what it did have, with Ken, was squandered after his arc was over. I loved Chimeramon and his entire arc, but then it all kind of collapsed in on itself.

It's why I can't say season 2 is the worst Digimon thing ever made- that would be Xros Wars and its sequel. Those are just...ugh.

Honestly, I'd say a lot of that is mostly nostalgia rather than actual facts. While Adventure did deal with some serious themes it wasn't nothing other shows at the time didn't deal with (keep in mind that was during the golden era of anime in Mexico, so we got tons of show with little censoring and all kinds of themes)

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Speaking of 02, I'm encountering a lot of those guys in Digimon Digital Card Battle.

Which is the tits, what a rad game.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's a trait of Adventure character design in general.

Man.

No one really can post anything related to 02 without someone going off on a tangent about how it ruined Christmas or something.

That's not at all what I'm getting at. Season 2 didn't ruin anything until the ending which is still this giant looming Thing Tri has to deal with or ignore.

It was just a disappointment. Its flaws are not unique to the Digimon franchise and it is not the one that did them the worst- Frontier and Xros Wars would see to that.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Honestly, I'd say a lot of that is mostly nostalgia rather than actual facts. While Adventure did deal with some serious themes it wasn't nothing other shows at the time didn't deal with (keep in mind that was during the golden era of anime in Mexico, so we got tons of show with little censoring and all kinds of themes)

I recently rewatched season 1 with a friend who did not watch Digimon as a kid, and he ended up having the same reaction I did, though the dub and music bothered him a great deal. He really didn't care for what season 2 did by comparison either, so I have to doubt that it's just nostalgia.

However that might be a huge difference in our perspectives- I was in America and it was at this point that censorship was REALLY coming down hard on shows. It was around this time that the one infamous dub produced by Saban came around for Dragon Ball Z, and things were just in this weird flux.

Having an action adventure series that had such great villains was a huge boon. There were shades of weird censorship that was kind of inconsistent up to the Myotismon arc, but after that got going full speed that aspect of it mostly went away until Apocalymon reared his head.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

For what it's worth, I think the fact that Adventure never once has the characters address the morality of killing their enemies to be a serious flaw in its narrative. There's no hard choice; after Devimon, they start killing their opponents without any comment. The closest they come to is with Mimi, who is more concerned about the FRIENDS they've lost than any of the creatures they're fighting.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I agree about Adventure being a lot heavier than it seemed. It bugged me how much easier the 02 kids had it compare to their predecessors on every level as well. While the old kids had to fight and kill to survive this strange world while slowly growing attached to it, the newer ones just came and went at will and almost never faced enemies that weren't either brainwashed victims curable with a relatively light beating or conveniently "not real". Without those pressures, they never had to grow or bond with each other or their partners as much as the older ones, making everything seem less meaningful. They didn't even have to deal with much in the real world: even their "world tour" was more comedy relief than anything.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

But that's the thing. They DON'T deal with it. It just happens. The show is more concerned with the character's personal problems and individual histories. They don't bond over having to make tough decisions, they bond over Tentomon reminding Koushirou that his inquisitive heart is one of the best things about him. The fact that Vademon is turned into a greasy dead smear is just incidental.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

For what it's worth, I think the fact that Adventure never once has the characters address the morality of killing their enemies to be a serious flaw in its narrative. There's no hard choice; after Devimon, they start killing their opponents without any comment. The closest they come to is with Mimi, who is more concerned about the FRIENDS they've lost than any of the creatures they're fighting.

I don't think going the exact opposite route is the way to go either though.

Especially if you're going to be inconsistent about it.

What makes it work for me in season 1 for the most part is the fact that they generally only kill Digimon who are actually evil and they have no other way to stop them. A lot of Myotismon's crew they actually just knocked out, as Myotismon is the one who killed the majority of his men- random Bakemon not withstanding.

But stuff like Skull Meramon or the mammoth, they were active serious dangers to everyone around them and could only be stopped in one way.

And at least Mimi's reaction DID show that the deaths mattered to them, and gave her a good character arc to follow from there where she realized being half hearted about things would only get more friends killed.

In season 2 we mostly had the kids react with horror when it appeared that Ken killed a random evil Digimon, and then Cody had his whole freak out about Black War Greymon having a heart, and after that they largely stopped caring. Not that TK or Kari ever really seemed to care about that kind of thing, nor should they have.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You're overlooking multiple incidents, notably their debate over whether they should execute Archnemon because they have no way of imprisoning her, Golemon at the dam, the aforementioned Daemon Corps, and in the original, non dub version of that arc, Daisuke struggles with the possibility that they might not free Agumon from the Evil Spiral and may have to put him down instead. It's not nearly as inconsistent as you claim.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

You're overlooking multiple incidents, notably their debate over whether they should execute Archnemon because they have no way of imprisoning her, Golemon at the dam, the aforementioned Daemon Corps, and in the original, non dub version of that arc, Daisuke struggles with the possibility that they might not free Agumon from the Evil Spiral and may have to put him down instead. It's not nearly as inconsistent as you claim.

The fact that they DID have to debate over what to do with Archnemon and Daemon's group is ridiculous. One is an unrepentant evil witch who is apparently behind Ken's time as the Kaiser who only makes things worse and unleashes horrible evils on the world

The other are group of pure evil demons that want to murder everyone.

And ALL OF THEM WOULD COME BACK because reincarnation is a thing!

That was the other huge thing- in season 1, until the Dark Masters hosed everything up, they knew the Digimon they killed or lost would come back to life one day. When they found out they wouldn't, that was a huge moment that triggered Mimi's reaction to fight even harder against the Dark Masters.

Season 2, that never actually gets addressed. They act like killing the Digimon would be The End, when Wormmon came back from sacrificing himself *WAY* faster than even Patamon did. They had to of known that reincarnation was a thing, yet they never brought that to mind.

And I thought the Golem dude was the guy Ken killed? Wasn't that how they found out about them being fake Digimon?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The guy Ken killed was Thunderballmon, and they had no idea that he was made of Dark Towers. Golemon was later, and his body breaking open is what showed them he wasn't real. Stingmon and Aquilamon defeated him.

Here's the thing though; you're misjudging how Digimon reincarnation works. It's not easy; you're basically reset to zero. There's not even a guarantee you'll come back with any of your memories when you do. The Chosen Children's partners are different but they also have the ability to evolve more quickly than everyone else. Death is NOT just a slap on the wrist. Don't you ever wonder why we never saw any of the fallen friends from season 1 again? Because they're not even necessarily THEMSELVES again.

And I never said once that Archnemon's actions didn't make punishing her justified. Same for the Daemon Corps. But it's still a very justified and human thing to go "Wait, is murder necessarily the best option?" And in the case of BlackWarGreymon, there's not even the potential to be reborn for him.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Honestly, BlackWargreymon's whole arc alwas seemed fantastic to me and is the main reason I like 02 more than Adventure.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

The fact that they DID have to debate over what to do with Archnemon and Daemon's group is ridiculous. One is an unrepentant evil witch who is apparently behind Ken's time as the Kaiser who only makes things worse and unleashes horrible evils on the world

The other are group of pure evil demons that want to murder everyone.

And ALL OF THEM WOULD COME BACK because reincarnation is a thing!

That was the other huge thing- in season 1, until the Dark Masters hosed everything up, they knew the Digimon they killed or lost would come back to life one day. When they found out they wouldn't, that was a huge moment that triggered Mimi's reaction to fight even harder against the Dark Masters.

Season 2, that never actually gets addressed. They act like killing the Digimon would be The End, when Wormmon came back from sacrificing himself *WAY* faster than even Patamon did. They had to of known that reincarnation was a thing, yet they never brought that to mind.

And I thought the Golem dude was the guy Ken killed? Wasn't that how they found out about them being fake Digimon?

No the one Ken killed initially with Stingmon's debut was ThunderBallmon(if I'm remembering the right name)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think this thread's narrative would work better if we don't talk about 02 or the dub to neither TFRazorsaw nor Burkion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think this thread's narrative would work better if we don't talk about 02 or the dub to neither TFRazorsaw nor Burkion.

Agreed.