Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hello Sailor posted:

Turning to a MMO for your RP fix is like turning to krokodil for a drug fix; the only worse thing you could do (in both cases) is LARP. Start a local group or find an online group through something like Roll20 or a PBP forum. You might also look into Unknown Armies as an alternative to WoD.

This is the best answer you're going to get. Seriously. Do not do MMORPG RP.

Brave New World posted:

2) Never ask goons in MMO HMO about RP. You'll only get laughed at. The goon demographic is pretty much the antithesis of the RP demographic.

MMO RP is maligned for good reason. MMORPGs are pre-scripted worlds in which nothing unexpected ever really happens and everyone has identical experiences. The net result is that "roleplay" such as it is tends to devolve into Pocket D/Goldshire style "lets all bum around in a bar hooking up for ERP and moping about how hard it is being superheroes/gods/whatever".

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The best TSW rp moment was when I unicorn bombed a wedding. /graffiti on the bride yo.

I'm still sad they did it far enough from Padurii I couldn't drag them there.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Len posted:

The best TSW rp moment was when I unicorn bombed a wedding. /graffiti on the bride yo.

I'm still sad they did it far enough from Padurii I couldn't drag them there.

I rest my case. :colbert:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sociopastry posted:

Anyone know of any good RP groups in TSW? I've played tabletop NWoD, and I'm jonesin' for an RP fix, but there's no groups in my area. How's the RP climate?

Just to build on what the others have said, you might like to check our own Trad Games subforum if you haven't already. Most of the actual play's play-by-post, but there's a fairly active population of people organizing live play through Skype, IRC, Roll20 and the like.

I don't care for MMO RP either, mostly because they really aren't designed to accommodate it, at least not by default. Lot of people get annoyed when you scroll the chat window with a paragraph of chatter and purple posing.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

One thing I realized this morning is without a great degree of context, the questions you ask while trying to figure out the story/plot will make you sound insane. Like crazed scribblings on a wall only shown with a blacklight. Which actually would not be out of place in this game.

Who is John WHO IS HE
Filthy bomb????
Why do the bees talk to me
Dreamers eat suns - space Cthulu? BLACK HOLES?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

Just to build on what the others have said, you might like to check our own Trad Games subforum if you haven't already. Most of the actual play's play-by-post, but there's a fairly active population of people organizing live play through Skype, IRC, Roll20 and the like.

I don't care for MMO RP either, mostly because they really aren't designed to accommodate it, at least not by default. Lot of people get annoyed when you scroll the chat window with a paragraph of chatter and purple posing.

Oh god, I forgot about purple prose. So many years of terrible teenage roleplay. So many years of glistening orbs for eyes.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Propagandist posted:

One thing I realized this morning is without a great degree of context, the questions you ask while trying to figure out the story/plot will make you sound insane. Like crazed scribblings on a wall only shown with a blacklight. Which actually would not be out of place in this game.

Who is John WHO IS HE
Filthy bomb????
Why do the bees talk to me
Dreamers eat suns - space Cthulu? BLACK HOLES?

When this game first launched, most of us were using pen and paper to keep track of symbols and diagrams needed to solve the investigation missions.

At the end of the game, you pretty much have a notepad full of crazy that you try to hide from the other people in your house.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

At the end of the day no matter how hard you RP you'll still be First "Nickname" Last, slayer of angels, savior of Cairo, liberator of Solomon Island, and the guy/girl who single handedly stopped the vampire crusade. Only none of those things have any lasting effect and you'll still (okay not anymore since they changed it) have to grind scenarios to prove you can handle Tokyo.

Rajazan
Sep 19, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

When this game first launched, most of us were using pen and paper to keep track of symbols and diagrams needed to solve the investigation missions.

At the end of the game, you pretty much have a notepad full of crazy that you try to hide from the other people in your house.

I remember when my roomate stumbled upon my investigation notebook. He always joked that I'm a loony satanist or something after that. :devil:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I had the morse code translator on my phone until the day it died. For whatever reason any time someone was looking on my phone the first thing they asked is why I had a morse code app.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Rajazan posted:

I remember when my roomate stumbled upon my investigation notebook. He always joked that I'm a loony satanist or something after that. :devil:

Which is why you have it on your computer and password protected.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Issue 13 is out for members. More ricky pagan stuff is included so its automatically one of the best issues.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
How much story/lore is there in the dungeons and raids? Are they critical to getting the whole story or can you get by sticking to soloable stuff?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I mean, I'd run them at least a couple of times. They're pretty cool.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

How much story/lore is there in the dungeons and raids? Are they critical to getting the whole story or can you get by sticking to soloable stuff?

There are some nice epilogues in the dungeons, Polaris for example you find out The vikings didn't make it out of Kingsmith, one of the bosses is one of the vikings, but you only find this out if you complete Darkness war

The tokyo dungeons are chock full of story and some pretty important story beats. Fortunately you only need to do the "Elite" version.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

How about we get together and do Tokyo dungeons? It is the only one I didn't do yet

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I'd be down if we can find a time that works. Could even dust off my tanking stuff.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

How is the new issue? Is the story good?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Kessel posted:

Story is kind of disjointed. 5 missions total - 1 very bad, other average (but has Funcom trademark "stealth" element so probably also bad), other 3 are fairly good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How many involve wave defense?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Kessel posted:

Its interesting, not worth $20 though until the rest of the content comes. The last mission deals with your history and you get to pick and choose stuff. I hope those choices will affect future story elements but am a bit skeptical.

Edit: None of them has a wave defence.. Okay well maybe one has a "Defend this guy for 1 minute" part of a mission

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

You get Ricky Pagan's bike as a sprint option. Worth the $10 imo.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

How many involve wave defense?

lol

How about those other scenario types? Guys?

Hello?

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Kessel posted:

Haven't completed it yet, but I'm enjoying it. Only frustration is that I had (incorrectly) assumed that Funcom would stop giving mission critical interactables tiny hit boxes. I wasted 20 minutes until I just read a spoiler and realized that I had already figured it out but hadn't clicked it the exact right way.

Story is interesting so far. Orochi drones are actually made partly of people (not a big surprise) and one of these people happened to be a serial killer before becoming a drone. Naturally, Orochi hired a surgeon that became obsessed with the serial killer drone because Orochi only hires people predisposed to disastrously bad ideas. So, he creates the ultimate personification of serial killing which sets about murdering everyone in the hospital (including the surgeon) and also (apparently) corrupting most of the other drones in Tokyo (haven't gotten further than that yet).

The Ricky Pagan mission isn't really story related. It's basically the snow mobile mission from A Dream to Kill, but it felt a touch less wonky. Thinking about it, I'm reasonably impressed with the vehicle missions so far. In other MMOs they just swap the player model for the vehicle model and call it day, but TSW does at least attempt to make it control like a vehicle, even if it's still janky as hell.

I do wish we'd just get a wave defense scenario. It'd be great to kick back, put on some Netflix, and just kill poo poo while I catch up on shows. Defending the people isn't hard, it's just at this weird intersection where it's not mindless enough to just chill out with, but not interesting enough to actually pay attention to.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Yeah, a simple 'survive as long as you can against increasingly overwhelming odds' scenario would be pretty cool and probably fun in groups. Have it give rewards based on how long you lived instead of how many guys you managed to keep alive and it'd be all good.

futonrevolution
Sep 30, 2014
Is this an appropriate thread for low-level build questions?

I'm finishing up Savage Coast with a Dragon Fist/Blood that's heavy on Affliction and Penetration (Claw/Angelic Aegis -> Prey on the Weak x2 -> situational Fist finisher).
My elite used to be Cardiac Arrest, but Go For The Throat lets me do an entire rotation and/or spam Angelic Aegis.
I'm generally too gun-shy for pugs, especially with TSW's incredibly low population, so I don't have whatever drops Polaris might have. The three-day bonus for new Steam players has me within spitting distance of the Wu outfit.
After that, my plan is to try out a Chaos/Fist build I found on TSWDB (Double Dash -> Helter Skelter or Bushwhack -> Tear Em Up or See Red), picking up the Trickster and Chaos Theorist outfits, along the way.

My dry run was with an Elementalism/Pistols Polariser and my kill rate was awful, but the mobs were very small, so maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. I'm used to DCUO, so the targeting for ranged attacks was driving me nuts.

Anyway, questions...
1) Should I keep majoring in Penetration? Evasion hasn't been a real problem yet, thanks to the my sheer volume of attacks.
My Crit rating is pretty bad, but putting on all of the crit gear I could find felt slower and I got lag more often.
2) Is there such a thing, as too much Affliction? The combat log isn't very helpful, so I can't tell if all the different triggers (Sharp Claws, Blood Bank, Salt in the Wound, Dark Potency, Iron Maiden) are stacking.
From what I understand, Hinder is useless later on, but I don't know if Impaired has the same problem.
3) The Executioner side-mission apparently can't be finished without AoE attacks. Will something like Cage Match hit those melee-immune objects or am I stuck with that in my journal, until I pick up a shotgun?

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

1) Should I keep majoring in Penetration? Evasion hasn't been a real problem yet, thanks to the my sheer volume of attacks.
My Crit rating is pretty bad, but putting on all of the crit gear I could find felt slower and I got lag more often.
2) Is there such a thing, as too much Affliction? The combat log isn't very helpful, so I can't tell if all the different triggers (Sharp Claws, Blood Bank, Salt in the Wound, Dark Potency, Iron Maiden) are stacking.
From what I understand, Hinder is useless later on, but I don't know if Impaired has the same problem.
3) The Executioner side-mission apparently can't be finished without AoE attacks. Will something like Cage Match hit those melee-immune objects or am I stuck with that in my journal, until I pick up a shotgun?

1) Pen is great for damage builds. If you're going for damage, then you'll want Hit and Pen. Crit just increases the likelihood of landing a critical, which is great (combined with crit power to increase how much a crit does) if you're basing a build around that (abuse elemental force to work for this), but otherwise if damage is your target, then focus on the hit/pen combos.

2) Affliction is handy to give you extra background damage while murdering stuff. However, I hear there's some sections later on where an affliction focused build will bite you in the rear end. probably not for a while though if you're still enjoying the Savage Coast area - I don't think you need to worry about this until Transylvania?
I can't tell you much about Impaired yet, as I've yet to go back to my pistols build ideas (I need a good stock of gear first).

3) If it says AOE then any form of AOE should do the work. I can't easily locate the side mission you're referring to right now, as it keeps pointing me at the Deck build, rather than the mission.
But AoE damage is fairly generic and just dependent on range, so if you've got an AoE attack, then it should work out (I'm assuming you mean Cage Fight PBAoE?).
So as long as your target(s) in the radius around you are in range (less than 5m) then you should be golden. Remember that it will only hit 5 targets in that AoE at a time.

E: right, the Executioner side mission?
Yeah, I didn't worry about AoE for that.
I just figured out roughly what the targets required and attacked them. Of course at the time I was using pistols, but I don't see why a ranged AoE attack shouldn't work. Damage is damage, and the game isn't too picky about how you hit something. Just be sure and click around so you can see the health bar of the target object and run tests with various attacks until something sticks.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 6, 2016

futonrevolution
Sep 30, 2014
Thanks! I'll have to try out a Crit build, when I get around to salvaging my Elementalism character. TSW seems to punish you a bit for splitting your time between multiple characters, though, unless there's a way to trade items that I'm blind to. It keeps saying that there's a Gift option, but nothing that looks like a Shared Bank.

I dropped all the Afflicted triggers, except for Bloodsport, and haven't noticed a difference. My guess is that, instead of applying the most recent Afflicted trigger, the first trigger has to run its course before another one can be applied.

That Chaos/Fist build uses Wheel of Knives, as its builder, and I can see why. It's filling a 10m circle with Weakness, Affliction, and dropping points into Blades passives is playing very, VERY nicely with all that Penetration. (It also took care of the Executioner side-mission.) Without those Blood shields, Penetration is my major source of healing (by way of Immortal Spirit) but I'm all sorts of unimpressed with Fist's Nurture.

I'm at least a third done with Blue Mountain and Evasion is turning into a real problem for my single-target finishers. Amor Fati's (+10% damage and no glancing or evasion for 10s) become a crutch. Beats me why people complain about Blue Mountain being too difficult; it's the Dragon version of Rogue Agent that's literally kicking Wei Shen's butt (that's the one with the boss fight in Shambala, where you have to run back and forth, between two statues). The Affliction DoT gets the Double Dragon agent down to a sliver of health, but removing his shield to finish him off has my backside riddled with holes.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

The only reason to ever have separate characters is if you want to have a templar, an illuminati, and a dragon character. Outside of that, you can fill any role and gain all the abilities on one single character.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Kirsten Geary posted:

It's People! Sorry, Couldn't resist. Was that insensitive? Did I trigger your bro? Go shout it atop Tumblr.

Oh KG :allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Propagandist posted:

The only reason to ever have separate characters is if you want to have a templar, an illuminati, and a dragon character. Outside of that, you can fill any role and gain all the abilities on one single character.

Or signet farming (or anything else you can trade that's on lockouts).

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
So Discord servers appear to be the new hotness lately.

https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QA4EQhM

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

HughGRect posted:

So Discord servers appear to be the new hotness lately.

https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QBUXYiv

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 9, 2016

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Also is there a goon guild for Illuminati still?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Cross-posting this to the Secret World thread and the Steam trading thread.

So Secret World is on sale right now and there's a basic and a fancy Ultimate edition. If you already have the basic one, you can in fact buy the ultimate, use the CD key Steam gives you for that on the Funcom website, and upgrade your basic to Ultimate. In doing this, Funcom sends you an additional code for the base game.

So I have a code for the base game of Secret World that I am willing to sell for...I dunno, something under 10 bucks I guess, since that's what it is right now on Steam. Or a similar amount in game trades. I am unsure if the code is a Funcom code or a Steam code, as it does not specify. Anyone interested, I'll give you the code first.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cryomancer/ Hit me up if you're interested.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

There has never been a game I wanted to play and hated playing, simultaneously, to such extreme degrees. I loved this game, and I hated this game.

Have there been any MAJOR changes to the basic gameplay since this launched? I don't give a crap about expansion content or new stuff to do. I never finished the old stuff, because I hated the combat and skill system so much, and I was tired of tripping over monsters every two feet while I was trying to solve a cool mystery. (One ghost is spooky, but a dozen ghosts is loving tedious.) I'm guessing the combat and skill system still suck, and there are still monsters every two feet, but I'd love to find out otherwise, because the story was GREAT and sometimes I miss it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nerd Of Prey posted:

There has never been a game I wanted to play and hated playing, simultaneously, to such extreme degrees. I loved this game, and I hated this game.

Have there been any MAJOR changes to the basic gameplay since this launched? I don't give a crap about expansion content or new stuff to do. I never finished the old stuff, because I hated the combat and skill system so much, and I was tired of tripping over monsters every two feet while I was trying to solve a cool mystery. (One ghost is spooky, but a dozen ghosts is loving tedious.) I'm guessing the combat and skill system still suck, and there are still monsters every two feet, but I'd love to find out otherwise, because the story was GREAT and sometimes I miss it.

They made combat better than how it was at launch. There was a big revamp and everything. It's actually a lot better than it used to be.

What's the consensus on this game? I've seen the usual doom and gloom about it going to shut down, but is that likely? Normally i'd write it off as people being idiots about MMO's as usual. But --- Well, it's Funcom. They haven't exactly had a stellar performance these past few years.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 14, 2016

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Archonex posted:

They made combat better than how it was at launch. There was a big revamp and everything. It's actually a lot better than it used to be.

What's the consensus on this game? I've seen the usual doom and gloom about it going to shut down, but is that likely? Normally i'd write it off as people being idiots about MMO's as usual. But --- Well, it's Funcom. They haven't exactly had a stellar performance these past few years.

I don't see the game shutting down any time soon. They are still releasing content expansions and their TSW side project, The Park, wasn't horrible. I think we are safe for a bit longer before the game goes into maintenance mode. But it is Funcom, so it could shut down tomorrow.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

HughGRect posted:

I don't see the game shutting down any time soon. They are still releasing content expansions and their TSW side project, The Park, wasn't horrible. I think we are safe for a bit longer before the game goes into maintenance mode. But it is Funcom, so it could shut down tomorrow.

Didn't seem to do all that great, alas:

http://steamspy.com/app/402020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Archonex posted:

It's not likely to shut down in the near future I think. Funcom has maintained in all their earnings reports that TSW is cashflow positive. It's one of the few things at Funcom that is.

What I think is more likely is Funcom being bought out by some larger entity. What happens to TSW then is up for grabs.

• Locked thread