Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

I must have seen this at some point despite completely forgetting about it, because as soon as it got to that party screen with the knight helmet made with the oval tool in mspaint it all came flooding back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Griefor posted:

I posted this a while ago in the griefing thread as well:

http://kotaku.com/the-steam-achievement-that-nobody-unlocked-1610073943

TLDR:
Developer adds unachievable achievement to game, players desperately try anything and everything in order to unlock it.

There's a line in there that made me think a little.

quote:

Sure, there were plenty of websites that debated the veracity of Final Fantasy resurrection rumors but, personally, I hold that the internet has become a more cynical, more skeptical place. Maybe that's just me.

I think it's that datamining has become a thing in a way it wasn't back then, so we know there's a giant Aeris that tells you you're in hell, and unused Sector 7 and Honey Bee Inn lines. It is far easier to prove or disprove these rumors because the secrets don't stay truly secret for long.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
He's still chasing that indie gaming dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlTq8KBtfnQ

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

quote:

Skylight Freerange 2: Gachduine takes place in Nova Scotia in 2048

Out of all the iconic locations of the world and the infinite fictional possibilities, that's where he chooses? I'm not even interested in Nova Scotia in 2015.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The main things I remember about crimson haze is the guy getting really mad at all the fart jokes being made in the thread, and that people were actually pretty impressed that he managed to make anything at all outside of a website and some concept art.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Somfin posted:

Oh dear, a quarter of an hour.

I do not understand why people go out of their way to defend this. Saying oh it doesn't waste that much of your time doesn't mean it wasn't something that was intentionally put in the game to do nothing else than waste your time. It's not a case of inadvertently bad design making you backtrack more than you should or whatever. It's the developer saying "we are going to make you stop playing and run on a hamster wheel while literally nothing happens, because gently caress you."

All told it's an incredibly small part of the game, but it's appallingly disrespectful to the player to do things like this and then they pull poo poo like that again in other places in the game. The hamster wheel dumbassery tends to get the most attention because it's early in the game and it's not optional. There's unintentional bad design and then there's "gently caress you, player! gently caress you for some reason!" and everything posted about super paper mario in this thread is the latter. Whether it wastes two hours of your time or five minutes doesn't change the principle.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
The Demon Rush was a pretty bad game but all the promotion images and videos (made by other goons) were spectacular. I still look them up from time to time.

Sad thing about The Demon Rush though is that it was a finished game. Lack of artistic skills notwithstanding, the guy did put a considerable amount of effort into making the game. You need tons of assets for a full length game and it's not like RPG Maker where you can just use all the assets RPG Maker comes with. Although maybe it's not so sad since apparently he's making enough money to keep going? I find it weird that even lots of good indie developers get in trouble these days because it's so hard to get exposure and potential buyers have access to thousands of other crappy (and dozens of very good) indie games 10 for a buck from all sorts of bundles, yet this guy apparently just released his 5th game and is still trucking.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

So gingers grow wattles like roosters huh. That's pretty gross

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I do not understand why people go out of their way to defend this. Saying oh it doesn't waste that much of your time doesn't mean it wasn't something that was intentionally put in the game to do nothing else than waste your time. It's not a case of inadvertently bad design making you backtrack more than you should or whatever. It's the developer saying "we are going to make you stop playing and run on a hamster wheel while literally nothing happens, because gently caress you."

All told it's an incredibly small part of the game, but it's appallingly disrespectful to the player to do things like this and then they pull poo poo like that again in other places in the game. The hamster wheel dumbassery tends to get the most attention because it's early in the game and it's not optional. There's unintentional bad design and then there's "gently caress you, player! gently caress you for some reason!" and everything posted about super paper mario in this thread is the latter. Whether it wastes two hours of your time or five minutes doesn't change the principle.

Did you seriously just sit there instead of using a rubber band and a pencil to hold the d-pad in place while you did anything else for fifteen minutes?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think his point is that it's bad game design that that's your best option.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Did you seriously just sit there instead of using a rubber band and a pencil to hold the d-pad in place while you did anything else for fifteen minutes?

Walking away and doing something else for 15 minutes is exactly what i want from my video games.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Whether it wastes two hours of your time or five minutes doesn't change the principle.

gently caress, why do these games have to pad out their plots with all this bullshit gameplay that does nothing but waste my time? Why do these games have to pad out their gameplay with all this bullshit plot that does nothing but waste my time? Why are there failure states that do nothing but waste my time? Why are there enemies that obstruct my progress and waste my time? Why is there any distance at all between quest giver and quest site, all that travel just wastes my time! Why does this boss have more than one hit point, all it does is waste my time! Why are there more than one level, I got to an ending, why do I have to do it again and waste even more of my precious time!?

All games should come with a 'win game' button that is pre-pressed on starting up so that it jumps straight from steam icon to end credits so as to minimise time wasting. Just dump all 100% of the available achievements right onto my steam profile on load and call it good. I paid my five dollars (thanks steam sale!), I don't want to have to waste my time playing this time-wasting piece of poo poo.

Seriously, though. That part of the game doesn't have very engaging gameplay, that's valid. That part of the game isn't varied or interesting enough to hold my attention, that's valid. That part of the game feels like a pointless diversion from the main plot and it takes too much work for it to resolve, that's valid. It wastes your time? Motherfucker you are playing the blip bloops on the fuckin' screen, that time is gone. Every game is built to eat up big fat greasy slabs of your time, whether or not that time is wasted is up to you. We're living in an era where 50+ hours of "content" is a selling point. Why keep playing if you are being forced to spend that time doing something you don't like?

E: Seriously, I need to know this. Why did you keep playing if that early section was such a loving chore? What was it about the game that made continuing through that section worth it?

Somfin has a new favorite as of 12:25 on Dec 16, 2015

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Somfin posted:

gently caress, why do these games have to pad out their plots with all this bullshit gameplay that does nothing but waste my time? Why do these games have to pad out their gameplay with all this bullshit plot that does nothing but waste my time? Why are there failure states that do nothing but waste my time? Why are there enemies that obstruct my progress and waste my time? Why is there any distance at all between quest giver and quest site, all that travel just wastes my time! Why does this boss have more than one hit point, all it does is waste my time! Why are there more than one level, I got to an ending, why do I have to do it again and waste even more of my precious time!?

All games should come with a 'win game' button that is pre-pressed on starting up so that it jumps straight from steam icon to end credits so as to minimise time wasting. Just dump all 100% of the available achievements right onto my steam profile on load and call it good. I paid my five dollars (thanks steam sale!), I don't want to have to waste my time playing this time-wasting piece of poo poo.

Seriously, though. That part of the game doesn't have very engaging gameplay, that's valid. That part of the game isn't varied or interesting enough to hold my attention, that's valid. That part of the game feels like a pointless diversion from the main plot and it takes too much work for it to resolve, that's valid. It wastes your time? Motherfucker you are playing the blip bloops on the fuckin' screen, that time is gone. Every game is built to eat up big fat greasy slabs of your time, whether or not that time is wasted is up to you. We're living in an era where 50+ hours of "content" is a selling point. Why keep playing if you are being forced to spend that time doing something you don't like?

E: Seriously, I need to know this. Why did you keep playing if that early section was such a loving chore? What was it about the game that made continuing through that section worth it?

You are so loving obtuse

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I thought the game was good. The treadmill was annoying. Then I didn't get mad and whiny about it for years later and just think of it as an overall good game. The end.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Somfin posted:

Do you seriously not understand why people enjoy playing a game but not enjoy watching a little man running in a treadmill?

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Captainsalami posted:

I thought the game was good. The treadmill was annoying. Then I didn't get mad and whiny about it for years later and just think of it as an overall good game. The end.

I thought the thing was funny, conceptually, and I liked that the level was about figuring out how to get around working off debt rather than a standard platforming level. Even with the hamster wheel, it's probably one of my favorite levels in that game. But I also don't feel a need to argue with people. Regardless of whether it was a fun experience for people, I would say that making players think you'd need to run on that hamster wheel for hours certainly counts as a troll from game developers.

For content, I feel like Sony's codename of "Project Morpheus" was a troll (though not as bad as going from "Revolution" to "Wii"), because in retrospect, it is actually incredibly obvious that the company with that only ever came up with two actual product names (PlayStation and Vita) was always going to name their PlayStation VR "PlayStation VR."

Also, at that pricing, with that many competitors, and with no real flagship software, I feel like this virtual reality thing is going to flop harder than anyone could imagine. The newest issue of GameInformer dubs 2016 "The Year of VR" while simultaneously ridiculing everything about the product's gaming applications in its closing pages. Virtual Reality itself is really just an industry-wide troll at this point.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Somfin posted:

Yeah, it's a small blip in a game that's eventually over and you can move on to hopefully better writing and better gameplay afterward. In the end Super Paper Mario was mediocre in almost every way, which stands out after two stellar Paper Mario games.

Some parts of the game were bad on purpose instead of by accident, and as Game Trolls go, it's chock full of those kinds of moments.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Also, at that pricing, with that many competitors, and with no real flagship software, I feel like this virtual reality thing is going to flop harder than anyone could imagine. The newest issue of GameInformer dubs 2016 "The Year of VR" while simultaneously ridiculing everything about the product's gaming applications in its closing pages. Virtual Reality itself is really just an industry-wide troll at this point.

It says something that perhaps the most popular game designed for VR (certainly up there, at least) is Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, which uses it for isolation instead of immersion. VR's all well and good from a technological perspective, but the only game that's really done anything interesting with it is the one that didn't bother and instead capitalized on the fact that the player will be the only person actually seeing the game.

EDIT: And hell, I'm ultimately just assuming that Keep Talking was designed for VR, as opposed to just happening to work perfectly for it from that angle.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Dec 16, 2015

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

pretty soft girl posted:

You are so loving obtuse

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Somfin posted:

Source your quotes.

Edit: thought this was the idiots on imgur thread. Still fits.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Somfin posted:

I like this thread but the part where you need to spend 15 minutes turning your scroll wheel to get through this post was a definite low point.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Somfin posted:

this post was written in response to people thinking holding right on a controller for 15 minutes is a bad thing, food for thought

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Undertale winning the GameFAQs contest

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm too busy loving sexy ladies to vote in gameFAQS, sorry losers

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

I'm too busy loving sexy ladies to vote in gameFAQS, sorry losers

Woulda voted, didn't have enough time left after video game finished disrespecting me

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

Well that was irritating to read, was that supposed to be some sort of meta commentary for filler gameplay

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Undertale winning the GameFAQs contest

I made an imgur album of my favorites from that shitstorm. https://imgur.com/a/dSx5D

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CoreDuo posted:

I made an imgur album of my favorites from that shitstorm. https://imgur.com/a/dSx5D

You're doing good work here.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Memento posted:

You're doing good work here.

The best ones I found were in the Wii U forum. They have a victim complex by default.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

CoreDuo posted:

They're all gems, but I gotta love "you may not remember me, but i am Dr Pizza."

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I do hope that at least a few gamefaqs posters ended up playing and liking undertale after the whole thing happened but I bet they'll all just rue the day a lovely dog defiled the sanctity of their forums polls instead

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

flatluigi posted:

I do hope that at least a few gamefaqs posters ended up playing and liking undertale after the whole thing happened but I bet they'll all just rue the day a lovely dog defiled the sanctity of their forums polls instead

Well, at least some did.

http://steamspy.com/app/391540

December 7th is when the poll for Gen1 Pokemon vs. Undertale started.

CoreDuo has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Dec 17, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Going by the assumption that anyone concerned with upholding the honor of the Gamefaqs Best Game Ever award is a Gamefaqs poster, at least one person did.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CoreDuo posted:

The first one confuses me the most. Ocarina of Time was a good game and all but I haven't thought it was the BEST GAME EVER since I was twelve.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

1stGear posted:

The first one confuses me the most. Ocarina of Time was a good game and all but I haven't thought it was the BEST GAME EVER since I was twelve.

This is funny because there were many MANY MANY posts from people convinced that only kids play Undertale but not Mario games. :psyduck:

CoreDuo has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Dec 17, 2015

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I played the 3DS one last year, and while it was good, I didn't really find it to be the holy grail of gaming that everyone else seems to hold it up as.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the thing you have to understand about gamefaqs is that they're all bitter 29-32 year olds who cling desperately to their childhood as hard as possible

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Alaois posted:

the thing you have to understand about gamefaqs is that they're all bitter 29-32 year olds who cling desperately to their childhood as hard as possible

That's what made it so satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Alaois posted:

GameFaqs is what happens when you remove all the likability and charm from ulillillia.

• Locked thread