Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

khy posted:

I'm slightly confused. I built a supply line between Sanctuary Hills and the Starlight Drive-In, which I THOUGHT would just pool both workshops together into one big mess but that doesn't work? Like, I just dumped 50 rubber from scrapped tires in sanctuary hills, but when I go to use that rubber to craft some armor upgrades in Starlight it says I have 3/6 rubber.

Am I misunderstanding how it all works?

From what I understand, you won't see junk from settlement A in settlement B's workshop, but if you run out at settlement A, it will pull from settlement B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

khy posted:

I like shadowed combat armor in terms of looks, but I can't decide what to wear under it. Seems like nothing good and dark-colored works well with shadowed armor except road leathers. What other dark colored under-armor options do I have?

turn your body into beefsteak mclargehuge at the surgery and wear a harness

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

khy posted:

I'm slightly confused. I built a supply line between Sanctuary Hills and the Starlight Drive-In, which I THOUGHT would just pool both workshops together into one big mess but that doesn't work? Like, I just dumped 50 rubber from scrapped tires in sanctuary hills, but when I go to use that rubber to craft some armor upgrades in Starlight it says I have 3/6 rubber.

Am I misunderstanding how it all works?
It ought to be seamless, when you open your world map and hit the button to show supply lines, does it show one? also check Data -> workshops

When supply lines are working correctly EVERY settlement will show thousands of mats of every kind, as long as you have them in an A-B-C-D chain. weapons and armor and aid mostly dont though I think.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

coyo7e posted:

It ought to be seamless, when you open your world map and hit the button to show supply lines, does it show one? also check Data -> workshops

When supply lines are working correctly EVERY settlement will show thousands of mats of every kind, as long as you have them in an A-B-C-D chain. weapons and armor and aid mostly dont though I think.

When I go to 'Data -> Workshops' what should I see? Because I DO see a supply chain between the two settlemends on my map, but I don't see anything special in the data -> Workshops section.

Partially related : I have 100 water in the Starlight Drive-In (2 industrial, 2 normal purifiers), 17 settlers, and am not getting any purified water at all in my workshop. It's been at least three or four days and none has appeared.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pwnstar posted:

All the songs are good.

I wouldn't know, I listen to the minuteman emergency radio thingy so I can respond to settlement attacks and I STILL miss like half of them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

khy posted:

When I go to 'Data -> Workshops' what should I see? Because I DO see a supply chain between the two settlemends on my map, but I don't see anything special in the data -> Workshops section.

Partially related : I have 100 water in the Starlight Drive-In (2 industrial, 2 normal purifiers), 17 settlers, and am not getting any purified water at all in my workshop. It's been at least three or four days and none has appeared.

Data->> Workshops shows you the various stats of each workshop settlement, and should also let you know if one is lacking in food, water, or defense.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Speedball posted:

Data->> Workshops shows you the various stats of each workshop settlement, and should also let you know if one is lacking in food, water, or defense.

Well, it does show that the Sanctuary hills is lacking 1 water. But with them linked and with Starlight providing 100 water, it should be covered, shouldn't it?

God this is buggy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

khy posted:

Are you using mods and playing on PC? Because supply chains are about the one thing that won't entirely just get hosed and break for no reason. I've run into those provisioners taking down entire settlements of super mutants, with nothing but scav outfit and a pipe pistol. And winning. Every time.

If it's not working then I'd try to find the provisioners and see if they're getting stuck on something and/or dying repeatedly. They are pretty easy to find if you gave them lighted purple/green/red/blue mining helmets like I did

Have you tried makign alternate supply chains and seeing if they work? Or are you assumign they're all busted because of this one workbench

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cojawfee posted:

Are you talking about the settlement quests or the quests from the Castle? The settlement quests are radiant and have nothing to do with the story.

The Castle quests, I believe (from looking at the Fallout wiki). I haven't been doing any of the faction quests because I have the same feeling as Zero VGS.

Zero VGS posted:

Can I not do the Molecular Level quest without joining some chump faction? I hate them all and I'm wondering if there's any hidden alternatives or a DIY solution.

Basically, I'm trying to figure what you have to do to get to the final quest.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 16, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Are you using mods and playing on PC? Because supply chains are about the one thing that won't entirely just get hosed and break for no reason. I've run into those provisioners taking down entire settlements of super mutants, with nothing but scav outfit and a pipe pistol. And winning. Every time.

If it's not working then I'd try to find the provisioners and see if they're getting stuck on something and/or dying repeatedly. They are pretty easy to find if you gave them lighted purple/green/red/blue mining helmets like I did

Have you tried makign alternate supply chains and seeing if they work? Or are you assumign they're all busted because of this one workbench

Playing on PC, yes. Using mods, no. And I've run into my provisioner multiple times in each settlement.

I have not made any other supply chains yet; This is my first experiment with them and thus far it has been entirely unsuccessful. I will see about setting up another supply line between like, the slog or greygarden or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just found a piece of synth armor that has no model. Which is nice I guess, since it's ugly as hell anyway.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Just found a piece of synth armor that has no model. Which is nice I guess, since it's ugly as hell anyway.

left-arm? Where it would be is under your pip-boy

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

JawKnee posted:

Huh. I had a Chameleon Synth Left-Arm. Always thought I couldn't see it because of the whole invisible thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JawKnee posted:

Yeah, that's it. Looked like it had a shoulder bit too, but I guess not.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

khy posted:

Well, it does show that the Sanctuary hills is lacking 1 water. But with them linked and with Starlight providing 100 water, it should be covered, shouldn't it?

God this is buggy.

Linking workshops, as far as I can tell, only links them for the purposes of crafting poo poo.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

khy posted:

Playing on PC, yes. Using mods, no. And I've run into my provisioner multiple times in each settlement.

I have not made any other supply chains yet; This is my first experiment with them and thus far it has been entirely unsuccessful. I will see about setting up another supply line between like, the slog or greygarden or something.
Cool. And sorry I'm not trying to be a dick while I probably come off like one, but supply chains is the one thing that works really reliably for me in every play I've had, even when my console got hot and things got glitchy now and then.

Just always assume that you'll only get crafting mats moving along provisioner lines (also food and water if you have extra I guess? but it only is a factor in a feew spot you cant grow food) and make sure that every settlement is connected to at least one other, and in theory you ought to be gravy,

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cleretic posted:

I don't really care about the music since I don't listen to the radio, but when I started thinking about it it bothers me that all of these songs are licensed 1950s stuff. They were over a century old when the bombs dropped, and there's no hint of newer music than that. I know it's the aesthetic of the series, but everything else clearly kept advancing even if it does retain the same look. Either there was just no place for musicians in the Fallout universe after the 1960s, they existed but all sucked, or the oldies stations were REALLY prepared for armageddon.

Also, Nervous Travis is way better than Confident Travis, and I regret doing that quest every time I hear about some bold claims by our intrepid reporter.

After the bombs fell the Fallout universe Disney wasn't around to keep extending copyright protections so the DRM on the holotapes is finally starting to expire after three hundred and twenty odd years.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
All of this about diamond city radio is irrelevant--there is a classical music station, and it is massively better than all the 50's kitch.

Seriously, being in a huge firefight with a bunch of super mutants while your power armor's internal speakers play An der schönen blauen Donau is one of the most badass experiences you can have in this game.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Couple of pages back, but I found unarmed to be awesome. Granted, early going it was tough, but once I managed to get Ballistic Weave and Armorer up a bit, I'm golden.

Never even used power armor. I fist fought the first scripted deathclaw at level 10 and managed to win, then took on Swan at level 20 for the Power Fist, and finally used that to go after the Deathclaw Gauntlet which I'm now using to one-shot almost everybody with a power attack.

'bout the only things I did on my side was turn on the ballistic weave variable so I didn't have to fiddle with the railroad, and use the Legendary Mods mod. 3-4 Powered effects and Lv 2 Action Boy basically means I can power attack forever. Sprint, too.

I think Life Giver is a very underrated perk, especially on Survival--the regeneration from the third level seems to be about equal to the general healing rate if you use a stimpack.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Squirrel Burger posted:

I've always hated the compass markers going back to Skyrim. I have to turn the HUD completely transparent now which sucks for looting bodies and 3rd person combat. With the markers, I didn't feel like I was exploring, just running until the next landmark turned green and I got some experience. Turning it off, I really feel like I'm exploring, like I'll trudge across a dangerous expanse of waste because I see something cool in the distance, not because I turned there and there was an outline I want to fill in. It's an OCD quirk but one I wish they would let me tweak individually on console.

I already replied telling you you can do this in the ini, but I guess the post was lost in the thread. The option is 'bShowCompass' and it's in %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\Fallout4Prefs.ini.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

The Molecular Level: So in my last playthrough I went with the Railroad. I guess I was able to buy Tinker Tom, the chem'd out conspiracy theorist, knowing how to build the crazy rear end device. This time I went with the Minute-men though. But I don't think my suspension of disbelieve can buy Sturges, the guy that couldn't fix up power armor or hack a novice terminal to get at a fusion core, being able to do this correctly.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

khy posted:

God this is buggy.

Supply chains only link up your crafting resources in the workshops (stuff like wood, steel, springs, etc.). It does not link resources like water or food so you still have to build those up at each settlement.

And with the purified water thing you mentioned earlier, it's easiest to find it in the workshop if you tab over to the Aid section. And your industrial purifiers have to be hooked up to a generator first in order to function so that could be an issue. Otherwise maybe it needs more time or it's bugged.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Does building more water machine thingys mean that settlement produces more purified water?

I wish this game had some high tier water building for settlements without a surface water source. It seems kind of silly that the most you can do is spam regular hand pumps on dirt when the settlement otherwise has a skyskraper with search lights and missile turrets.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Speedball posted:

Horseshit.

It lets you see if your settlers have temporarily forgotten that there are beds, crops, water pumps, and/or defenses and are about to stage a mutiny due to a nasty bug on their capitalist oppressors.

Seriously though, check that data screen after every fast travel because you will have a situation where a settlement breaks the [settlers/happiness] barrier and start leaving because the game is buggier than Crazy Bus.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

Does building more water machine thingys mean that settlement produces more purified water?

Yup, every water you produce in excess of your population count will go into your bench. Putting down a gazillion in Sanctuary or other water-heavy zones = $$$$$$$

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Zephyrine posted:

I wish this game had some high tier water building for settlements without a surface water source. It seems kind of silly that the most you can do is spam regular hand pumps on dirt when the settlement otherwise has a skyskraper with search lights and missile turrets.

Yes. You build purifiers in wet settlements and link them to dry ones, just like food and arable settlements. You get the settlements excess production every few game days if you fast travel there. I think Sanctuary maxes out around 800 water, Drive in has 160, and after that it's easiest to take the Castle for 2000+ water production capacity.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

JawKnee posted:

Weird, I'm using a synth left arm, and it's a pretty nice slab of plastic as a shoulderguard. I don't think my synth chestplate is rendering right, though--there's some neck guard, but that's about it. I assumed something would cover the actual chest.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Weird, I'm using a synth left arm, and it's a pretty nice slab of plastic as a shoulderguard. I don't think my synth chestplate is rendering right, though--there's some neck guard, but that's about it. I assumed something would cover the actual chest.

There's 3 levels of every armor. The base level, Sturdy and Heavy. Modifications and Legendary status override the upper level modifiers when it comes to names, so you wont know unless you check the resistances/weight/looks.

The light synth arms are just the bracers so you wont see anything on the arm with the Pipboy.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Alabaster White posted:

Yup, every water you produce in excess of your population count will go into your bench. Putting down a gazillion in Sanctuary or other water-heavy zones = $$$$$$$

Zodium posted:

Yes. You build purifiers in wet settlements and link them to dry ones, just like food and arable settlements. You get the settlements excess production every few game days if you fast travel there. I think Sanctuary maxes out around 800 water, Drive in has 160, and after that it's easiest to take the Castle for 2000+ water production capacity.

Thanks.

Meanwhile I was surprised to find that synth armour pieces were actually armour. The synths themselves look pretty naked to me so when I equiped "synth arm" or "synth chest" I just assumed that it was my character breaking off a piece of the synth to wear as a trophee.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Synth pieces basically look like poo poo if you wear them over anything but an Institute uniform.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I just had a Synth Brahmin show up at Somerville place. Synth component and synth rifle in its inventory. Got shot up by a turret. :psyduck:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

JawKnee posted:

I just had a Synth Brahmin show up at Somerville place. Synth component and synth rifle in its inventory. Got shot up by a turret. :psyduck:

Now I want to see a brahmin brandishing a rifle.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JackBadass posted:

Now I want to see a brahmin brandishing a rifle.

Cows with guns has already been done

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Azhais posted:

Cows with guns has already been done

Eh, that song is old.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Oh! I finally got to try a berserket needle from the syringe rifle on a suicider. I expected it to frenzy and blow itself up on another super mutant. Nope! "target is too strong" no effect.
It's a singleplayer game Bethesda. Why couldn't you give me this at least?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

JawKnee posted:

this is the best thing. they actually get tagged as a synth well before the attack and start acting weird, but Brahmin can get tagged too. then they start acting like people, wandering away from the trough or being in the bar at night. It's pretty funny

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Zephyrine posted:

Oh! I finally got to try a berserket needle from the syringe rifle on a suicider. I expected it to frenzy and blow itself up on another super mutant. Nope! "target is too strong" no effect.
It's a singleplayer game Bethesda. Why couldn't you give me this at least?

To maintain some modicum of "balance" as Todd Howard calls it I bet. Same reason you can't frenzy that bandit chief in province of Skyrim to kill their crew... unless there are varying strengths of needles for you to use and hope they work.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Atom Cats should be able to help build the teleporter imo

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

Horseshit.

It lets you see if your settlers have temporarily forgotten that there are beds, crops, water pumps, and/or defenses and are about to stage a mutiny due to a nasty bug on their capitalist oppressors.

Seriously though, check that data screen after every fast travel because you will have a situation where a settlement breaks the [settlers/happiness] barrier and start leaving because the game is buggier than Crazy Bus.

Spoilers-

When turned non-essential and killed he drops a synth component. He easily could be a spy/escapee who has knowledge of Institute tech.

Sturges is also ex-atom cats so technically they do help build it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zodium posted:

Shame that the castle is the best for it because for me it's already maxed out on the amount of things you can build (and I barely built anything yet!) So I really can't afford to build additional desalination plants.

That build meter is such a bummer. I've scrapped all trees and decorations, anything that doesn't serve a purpose - and it gave me only a tiniest sliver of the meter back. What the hell maxed it out so hard? I bet it's something stupid like copper wiring that was already inside the corridors.

• Locked thread