Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Leal posted:

Guess who else is doing the star wars christmas special?

You mean #3 We Hate Movies podcast?

http://www.whmpodcast.com/2015/12/whm-on-screen-star-wars-holiday-special.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Tis the season to watch the one thing possibly worse than the prequels.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I'm watching this JonTron, of whom much has been written itt. He's not very funny. Actually, he's not funny at all. :( Is this Star Wars video typical of him?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

achillesforever6 posted:

I've been watching Retsupurae doing a long play of Ripper and its sad just watching them poo poo on it and saying how all the puzzles are stupid and how the plot doesn't make sense.

I've been watching this with my gf and she is flabbergasted that the main character is Max Medina from GIlmore Girls. I agree that it's rather shocking.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Re: Toddchat.

Fairly certain he said 'Hotline Bling' wasn't going on the Worst Of list at all. 'Dear Future Husband' might be on that list though, maybe 'Marvin Gaye' if it gets onto the Billboard Year-End chart. (Fun fact: 'Marvin Gaye' got to #1 in the UK this year. What the gently caress).

I'm also certain that 'Style' and 'FourFiveSeconds' will be on the Best Of list.

Todd also tweeted recently that he thought this year was definitely better than 2014. IMO, last year was crap but at least it didn't have any Soulja Boy rip-offs. (Silento, iMemphis, DLow, and that's off the top of my head). That said, 'Style' is an excellent song, quite possibly Taylor Swift's 'Edge of Glory' (in that it's her best song).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
There was new music this year?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I'm watching this JonTron, of whom much has been written itt. He's not very funny. Actually, he's not funny at all. :( Is this Star Wars video typical of him?

I agree and yes it is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought the Grimbo joke in his food games review was pretty funny.

Also, a wild MrBtongue appears! A new Tasteful, Understated Nerdrage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLIq4ceXZAw

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

ZakAce posted:

Re: Toddchat.

Fairly certain he said 'Hotline Bling' wasn't going on the Worst Of list at all. 'Dear Future Husband' might be on that list though, maybe 'Marvin Gaye' if it gets onto the Billboard Year-End chart. (Fun fact: 'Marvin Gaye' got to #1 in the UK this year. What the gently caress).

The year after he couldn't put gently caress You on the best of list he started pulling songs that had spent time on the top 20 to avoid instances like this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought the Grimbo joke in his food games review was pretty funny.

Also, a wild MrBtongue appears! A new Tasteful, Understated Nerdrage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLIq4ceXZAw

He does make a good point, I love Pillars a whole lot - it's really fun. But it does lack that little something of unbalanced items that Baldur's Gate had. It felt very calculated whereas Baldur's Gate's world felt more real because not everything was balanced. Of course there would be an extremely powerful 2-handed sword guarded by a dragon. Of course there's a longsword that caused terrible mayhem upon your foes given to you by a demon for being an evil prick. I appreciate the balance in the classes but the items could have been on the wilder side.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

He does make a good point, I love Pillars a whole lot - it's really fun. But it does lack that little something of unbalanced items that Baldur's Gate had. It felt very calculated whereas Baldur's Gate's world felt more real because not everything was balanced. Of course there would be an extremely powerful 2-handed sword guarded by a dragon. Of course there's a longsword that caused terrible mayhem upon your foes given to you by a demon for being an evil prick. I appreciate the balance in the classes but the items could have been on the wilder side.

lmao what a giant pile of horseshit

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

With regards to Todd's year-end list, I can't see any song beating out Whip/Nae Nae for #1. His review of that song was the harshest review since Wiggle, maybe even more so.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Balder's Gate balance was loving awful and there's a reason save editors/respec mods are so popular because one wrong move and you've permanently crippled your character.

Also good luck using spears or certain types of weapons. I can't remember if it was Balder's gate 1 or 2 that had like, one powerful mace in it and the rest was basic maces and stuff. If you specced in that weapon you ate poo poo hard.

Balder's Gate desperately needed weapon and character balances and I'm sad that the remakes did gently caress all with that. Pillars of Eternity was balanced to a t and almost everyone I know that couldn't get into Balder's Gate loved PoE specifically for that reason.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is Brian the guy with the beard who was in his 80's Dan show? With the kind of slow, nasally voice? Whose wife kept cucking him with the plastic children's toy?

I liked him.

https://youtu.be/ZiYnkm_pPm8?t=10m

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Jimbot posted:

I played Planescape and Arcanum for the first time a couple years back and really enjoyed them. I quit both Wasteland 2 and Pillars part-way through out of boredom. Video was nice in sort of helping me figure out why.

Edit: I mean, it's weird-- much better gaming mechanics in Pillars and Wasteland 2, and I did create four or five characters I ended up not using in Arcanum since certain builds were terrible, but the way you interacted with the world seemed more engaging? The more I think about it the more confused I am.

Paladin fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 16, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Paladin posted:

I quit both Wasteland 2 and Pillars part-way through out of boredom. Video was nice in sort of helping me figure out why.

Wasteland 2 was a mess of numbers, useless skills (electronics or whatever is used like, once.) and piss boring combat. PoE is really nice but incredibly slow and the pacing is glacial. I loved PoE but if you're looking for something a bit more active it will bore you to tears.

If it's any consolation PoE picks up fast after getting past the first act and reaching the town but that takes hours to get to so I understand you dropping it. A few people felt the same way about PoE you did.

*edit*
As an aside, I love Btongue videos, even if I disagree because you get comments like this:

:allears: "Dense philistine"

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 16, 2015

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

He's right though on most of that, despite using a goofy insult. Like turn-based is almost always a preferable system for a lot of (I'd say probably most) types of RPG and if it'd hurt the dialogue any significant amount, I'd rather they just skip fully-voiced.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 16, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
XCOM: held back from being a great tactical game by its turn based design.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yardbomb posted:

He's right though on most of that. Like turn-based is almost always a preferable system for a lot of (I'd say probably most) types of RPG and if it'd hurt the dialogue any significant amount, I'd rather they just skip fully-voiced.

But then we can't get dialogue trees like this.

EDIT: But seriously, I'm fine with no or minimal voiced dialogue if it has actualy meat to it. Plus turn based is like really loving important for any RPG that tries to have a tactical system where you have to plan things out.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 16, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Testekill posted:

EDIT: But seriously, I'm fine with no or minimal voiced dialogue if it has actualy meat to it. Plus turn based is like really loving important for any RPG that tries to have a tactical system where you have to plan things out.

Realtime can work fine, depending on the game, but it does tend to lead to moments of "STOP STANDING IN THE loving BOSS'S KILLZONE! You're the healer for christ sake, stop trying to break his loving kneecaps with your staff and go stand well back like I set your AI preferences to :cripes:"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just couldn't get over how much better Dragon Age would have been if it had been turn-base dinstead of real time. All those loving area spells, and you mostly end up slaughtering your own team.

Never finished the loving game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I finished Baldur's Gate 1 (thanks to the help of people over in the Infinity Engine thread, along with some dumb luck), and I'm in the middle of playing BG2:EE. One of my annoyances with the Infinity Engine games is the same as MonsieurChoc's; positioning can be a major issue since characters can get caught up on doorways or objects when navigating through narrow spaces, and trying to land AoE spells can be difficult when the enemies immediately flock towards your party when they first see you.

I think the reason why turn-based games like Fallout 1+2 and XCOM work better is because there's a level of abstraction with the combat and your chance to hit an enemy. In contrast, look at something like Morrowind where the combat is in real-time, but if you have poor combat skills, and next-to-no chance to hit an enemy, it turns into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNXYrAkUntU

As to voice/non-voiced dialog, I remember someone discussing the topic, and they pointed out that the advantage of having non-voiced dialog is that making last-minute script changes is much more viable since you don't have to re-record anything.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Testekill posted:

Though they missed out for Fallout 2 adding the INT 1 dialogue

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Balder's Gate balance was loving awful and there's a reason save editors/respec mods are so popular because one wrong move and you've permanently crippled your character.

Also good luck using spears or certain types of weapons. I can't remember if it was Balder's gate 1 or 2 that had like, one powerful mace in it and the rest was basic maces and stuff. If you specced in that weapon you ate poo poo hard.

Balder's Gate desperately needed weapon and character balances and I'm sad that the remakes did gently caress all with that. Pillars of Eternity was balanced to a t and almost everyone I know that couldn't get into Balder's Gate loved PoE specifically for that reason.

The classes in POE are great and fairly well balanced, but I felt the itemization is just so utterly boring and boilerplate. Nothing really stood out to me or wowed me. I don't know if the expansion adds anything spectacular or not - I'm waiting for the second part to come out before I give it a go.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

achillesforever6 posted:

Really, I find most of the dialogue trees in Fallout 4 identical to the rest of these in the rest of the FOs. Usually there's Ask for more Info, Agree, Disagree, Sarcastic and/or Say something aggressive. Sometimes there's a persuasion option, sometimes there's an option based on one of your skills. The fact that they're all voiced makes them more fun too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

that is way too many loving options for Fallout 1

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

DStecks posted:

It's that time of year again, folks: time for Todd year-end list predictions.

Take Me To Church will very probably get the #1 spot on the worst list, but I don't know if I'd toxx for that. I'm expecting Megan Trainor to make at least two appearances on the worst list, Dear Future Husband and Marvin Gaye were both rancid. As for best list, this was a weak year, maybe even more so than 2014. What Do You Mean will probably squeak out a spot on the best list for lack of competition. If Todd is feeling like a goofus, he might put Uptown Funk on the list again because it charted so late into the year.

If it meets the criteria, I could see Andy Grammer's "Honey I'm Good" on the best of list, at something like, #7 or #8. An upbeat country song about being faithful seems to be right up Todd's alley. Personally, it might be my #2 song of the year, only because I didn't really notice it until a month ago.

Edit: Omi's "Cheerleader (Felix Baehn edit)" would also count for a lot of the same reasons.

Kuroyama fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 16, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

As to voice/non-voiced dialog, I remember someone discussing the topic, and they pointed out that the advantage of having non-voiced dialog is that making last-minute script changes is much more viable since you don't have to re-record anything.

Non-voiced dialogue also makes dynamic story elements much easier. And not just high-level stuff, I mean things like letting the player customize their name and not sidestepping it with everybody calling them Shepard. Like in KOTOR, it was very conspicuous how the non-intelligible aliens were the only people who ever referred to your character by name.

And if you want to see an attempt at this with voiced dialogue go terribly wrong, look no further than Freelancer. "Hi there, I work for Cryer Pharmaceuticals. We don't own this base, but we have an understanding with the people who do."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Alaois posted:

that is way too many loving options for Fallout 1

forget it, alaois, it's fallout fans

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Mischalaniouse posted:

Really, I find most of the dialogue trees in Fallout 4 identical to the rest of these in the rest of the FOs. Usually there's Ask for more Info, Agree, Disagree, Sarcastic and/or Say something aggressive. Sometimes there's a persuasion option, sometimes there's an option based on one of your skills. The fact that they're all voiced makes them more fun too.

lmao

The two main problems with FO4's dialogue trees are that your character will always be painted as a sympathetic and good character in the story dialogues and that what you chose almost never has any weight aside from how many caps you'll receive.

It usually looks like this:
Quest giver: So, will you help me do the thing?
The Lone Survivor: gently caress you and your family!
Quest giver: That's incredibly rude :(
Quest giver: Well, I'm so glad that you'll do this for me, it means more than you can imagine. :)

"No" means "not right now, later though", "Sarcastic" means "I'll say yes in a really cringe-worthy way", asking for more info means "I'll ask for more info and then say yes".

I like having all the dialogue voiced but if that comes at a price of being way more shallow then it really isn't worth it imo.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

watho posted:

lmao

The two main problems with FO4's dialogue trees are that your character will always be painted as a sympathetic and good character in the story dialogues and that what you chose almost never has any weight aside from how many caps you'll receive.

It usually looks like this:
Quest giver: So, will you help me do the thing?
The Lone Survivor: gently caress you and your family!
Quest giver: That's incredibly rude :(
Quest giver: Well, I'm so glad that you'll do this for me, it means more than you can imagine. :)

"No" means "not right now, later though", "Sarcastic" means "I'll say yes in a really cringe-worthy way", asking for more info means "I'll ask for more info and then say yes".

I like having all the dialogue voiced but if that comes at a price of being way more shallow then it really isn't worth it imo.

*shrug* I've never played another Fallout, so I dunno what options are like in the other games, and I always play a goody two-shoes in games like this so I don't really notice the lack of non-good options.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mischalaniouse posted:

Sometimes there's a persuasion option, sometimes there's an option based on one of your skills.

The problem is that there are stupidly few persuasion chances in FO4 that aren't just "More money please", then they're tied to Charisma only and still a random dice-roll regardless.

Meanwhile the second part actually doesn't exist in FO4 anymore. There'll be some options labelled like [Science] and stuff, but they're not tied to any skill or character trait.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I think Fallout: New Vegas was onto something by deciding to voice everyone except the MC. That way you can go buck wild with the dialogue options for them and you just have to voice the rest of the world's reaction to that; which is still a huge undertaking, but still.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: Todd's year-end list. I am actually more clued in about what could be on it because they've started playing this American chart show (can't remember the channel but it's narrated by the most annoying guy ever) on the telly at the gym I go to.

"Marvin Gaye" was not a good song. I wouldn't say it's a Meghan Trainor song, though. It's a song she's featured on.

Nevertheless, I have enjoyed all her other songs that I've heard.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

DarkRaziel420 posted:

Holy gently caress that ending.

That was real nice to see. Really leaves the future wide open.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I like the voice of the female FO4 main character, dont really know how the male one sounds like

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The dialogue options in Fallout 4 are pitiful. Calling them options is generous too. As others pointed out, they all lead to the same outcome so why even bother having them? Even as an illusion of choice it fails because it's extremely transparent. It's an alright game but it's hardly a Fallout game any more.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The dialogue options in Fallout 4 are pitiful. Calling them options is generous too. As others pointed out, they all lead to the same outcome so why even bother having them? Even as an illusion of choice it fails because it's extremely transparent. It's an alright game but it's hardly a Fallout game any more.

good, the first two fallout games are poo poo

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

My last proper episode of the year. This was a joy and a nightmare to edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gUKYBs6T8c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Kyle's got a new Between the Lines. It's Star Wars Minus Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gUKYBs6T8c

Edit: Ha! Literally a second apart.

• Locked thread