Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I don't actively seek out spoilers but it's not the end of the world for me if I see them. If you're living in the 21st century and using the Internet, you kind of have to adapt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
There are so many "spoilers" floating around that I think none of them are even sticking with me so not spoiled.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DrNutt posted:

It's almost like there's a mystical energy guiding things along a certain path. Call it a 'force,' if you must.

Exactly. Maybe the force helped Padme know where Dooku's ship was.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Exactly. Maybe the force helped Padme know where Dooku's ship was.

Actually it's just a minor plot contrivance. It's also a dumb nitpick. Just assume the clones flying the gunship detected a hangar up ahead and mentioned it to the occupants off-screen before Padme fell out.

It's not as bad as in Spider-Man 2, where Harry somehow knows where Doc Ock's hideout is despite there being no conceivable space of time in which this information could possibly have been imparted to him.(Spider-Man 2 is still a good movie.)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Here's the thing, the stupid line alone is meaningless and throwaway on its own. But that line happens during one of the ugliest and most cringe inducing scenes in the entire prequel trilogy. Have I seen worse? Sure. But this is Star Wars and if you're gonna have a "scene" as ugly as that one, maybe just make sure the dialogue makes sense.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Jimmy Fallon, The Roots & "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Cast Sing "Star Wars" Medley (A Cappella)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mahoning posted:

Here's the thing, the stupid line alone is meaningless and throwaway on its own. But that line happens during one of the ugliest and most cringe inducing scenes in the entire prequel trilogy. Have I seen worse? Sure. But this is Star Wars and if you're gonna have a "scene" as ugly as that one, maybe just make sure the dialogue makes sense.

Ah yes, the classic "it matters more because I dislike the movie" defense.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Lol, Harrison doesn't play these silly games.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

When is the earliest the general public is going to able to actually see the movie to spoil it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron Porkface posted:

When is the earliest the general public is going to able to actually see the movie to spoil it?

Thursday evening, I think around 8pm? so 10pm or so when it gets out.

e: According to my theater they have a 7pm Thursday showing and the movie is about 135 minutes long. So round that up a little, say about 9:30 is when you should expect spoilers.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 16, 2015

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

computer parts posted:

Nope. I'm seeing it in Australia at a midnight session in seven hours. So, give me 10 hours and I'll have seen the film.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_vii_the_force_awakens/

Oof, I was really hoping it'd be, at the very least, better than Attack of the Clones.
:sigh:

God drat it JJ Abrams... god loving drat it...

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

it opens on the 16th and 17th for much of the world

it is opening on the 18th in the US to set the weekend record

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

computer parts posted:

I quickly glanced the spoiler thread and a poster seemed convinced about something, and there's apparently a spoiler thing going on on 4chan; is there any possibility that it more o informed than the oldish leak summaries?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Deakul posted:

Oof, I was really hoping it'd be, at the very least, better than Attack of the Clones.

Rest in Piss, JJ Abrams.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
for any that have 7pm tickets in the US, when do you think a good time to show up would be? Don't want to be waiting hours, but I don't want lovely seats.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deakul posted:

Wow, those reviews are brutal. I wasn't expecting the world, but the film seems like a huge mess!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Arkane posted:

for any that have 7pm tickets in the US, when do you think a good time to show up would be? Don't want to be waiting hours, but I don't want lovely seats.

I'd suggest maybe 90 minutes before, unless you want to sit in the first 5 rows.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah. If you don't want to wait for multiple hours, wait for just under multiple hours. If you live in any reasonably sized city without presale seat selection, you're going to want to be there as early as you can manage.

I'm planning on 2.5 hours. I'm just going to bring a book.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Disney gonna be pissed Detroit News broke the embargo.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

ComposerGuy posted:

Disney gonna be pissed Detroit News broke the embargo.

Yeah they're gonna be super pissed with that positive review.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Also, call the theater at, say, 3:00 PM, and ask them if there's a line. If there is, ask them how long it is. If the person responds "more than 150-200", then you're hosed regardless, and can show up about 10 minutes before the movie starts, because you won't be getting a good seat.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

CelestialScribe posted:

Yeah they're gonna be super pissed with that positive review.

Disney has a long history of being super controlling and really petty about poo poo.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

computer parts posted:

Ah yes, the classic "it matters more because I dislike the movie" defense.

I didn't say it matters more, it's just more noticeable.

You're terrible at the prequels are good shtick. Leave it to the people who actually have interesting things to say and aren't just contrarian like cnut and SMG

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

So... do you remember when SUPER 8 came out and everybody said it was the best of the Spielbergian rip-offs?

Can you remember anything from that movie?

This movie is even more JJ Abrams than that.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Deakul posted:

Is this a joke of some sort?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The film's out today in France and I'm seeing it this evening. From what I've seen and heard I'm expecting a film.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

NeuroticErotica posted:

So... do you remember when SUPER 8 came out and everybody said it was the best of the Spielbergian rip-offs?

Good. I like Super 8.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

CalmDownMate posted:

Is this a joke of some sort?

Yeah, there are no reviews up yet and no score.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

NeuroticErotica posted:

Haha.

This is why J.J is so infuriating:

He is just a bit short of being godawful enough to have the masses turn against him for being such a forgettable and boring film maker who is sucking a lot of oxygen out of Hollywood that could be going towards more capable people.

Just keep this in mind ya'll while you're reading these responses:

http://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-episode-1-phantom-menace-reviews/

starry skies above fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 16, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
19 reviews on RT, 19 are positive.

See ya, Avatar.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You didn't have to wait until now to know it would beat Avatar.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

You didn't have to wait until now to know it would beat Avatar.

Even adjusted for ticket price inflation, Phantom Menace is $100m behind Avatar and the other other prequels are $300m behind Avatar.

SW7 was always going to open huge, but it takes great reviews/word of mouth to topple Cameron's behemoths in total gross.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Star Trek Into Darkness, now widely derided as a bad movie, also got great reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_into_darkness/

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

starry skies above posted:

Star Trek Into Darkness, now widely derided as a bad movie, also got great reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_into_darkness/

I don't really want to start this conversation, but it's mainly nerds who hate it. I (despite being a nerd) really enjoyed it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zoran posted:

While we're at it, why would the gunners on Vader's Star Destroyer not shoot down escape pods with no signs of life? Have they never seen droids before?

This is one of the many cases where a crucial part of the narrative is mistaken for a 'plot hole.'

Nobody in Star Wars believes droids are even capable of doing what R2 does. Droids are so subhuman that the gunners don't even consider the possibility that they would be entrusted with the plans.

Obviously, if a ship is in danger, even Alliance-types won't waste a perfectly good escape pod on saving the robots. Leia was taking advantage of that classism, because she had no other choice.

(Keep in mind that, when Luke blew up the Death Star, he killed every prisoner held there - except The Princess, of course. All those blue shirt guys from the opening scene, all the aliens (who must have existed in order for Chewbaca's disguise to work), and all the droids that were made to serve.... We don't care about those deaths because, naturally, they aren't royalty. That's ideology at work: the film itself makes Leia's superiority seem completely natural. This ties in with how Chewbaca and the droids get no medals. The narrative makes no sense unless you understand just how dehumanized the droids are.)

So we should read this scene very carefully. In Empire, we learn that every ship has its own intelligence. All vehicles, even whole cities, are sentient beings with thoughts and feelings. But here, in A New Hope, we already have this image a spaceship being consumed - and, in its death throes, making GBS threads itself in terror. The Rebel ship squeezes out a turd, and we then follow its trajectory as it plummets to the ground.

"Hold your fire. There are no life-forms. It must have short circuited." This spontaneous ship behavior is common enough, it seems, to be completely unremarkable.

Of course we know the plans are in the escape pod - but that's because this part of the story is told from C3PO's POV. For everyone else, the meaning is unambiguous: droids are poo poo. Nobody cares about them. They were made to suffer.

This grows into a whole space-poo poo theme that pervades everything. Han dumped his cargo at the first sign of an imperial cruiser. The Falcon, of course, 'plays dead' by shooting off its extra escape pods. And then, once they're in the Death Star, the cornered heroes escape a gunfight situation by jumping into a toilet.

So the real mystery isn't why those gunners hold their fire. That part is clearly explained: droids are not considered alive.

The actual mystery is this: what motivates R2 to go above and beyond his programming, risking himself to help these foolish humans who treat him like garbage?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 16, 2015

dhn
May 28, 2004
Dog dick of anubis
Into Darkness also got a lot of negative feedback due to Abrams lying about Kahn and its lack of good female characters, which apparently doesn’t concern your random male movie critic. Still a good (not great) movie.

Anyway: 100% with 52 critics, hard to keep expectations in check.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
That once-every few years SMG post that's completely en pointe. The fact that it appears on Star Wars movie day fills me with... A new hope

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just thought Into Darkness was kind of lazy. Like, fine if they wanted to have Khan, but not fine that they took scenes and lines from Wrath of Khan and repurposed them for their own film. That bugs me. First half is pretty alright though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arkane posted:

Even adjusted for ticket price inflation, Phantom Menace is $100m behind Avatar and the other other prequels are $300m behind Avatar.

SW7 was always going to open huge, but it takes great reviews/word of mouth to topple Cameron's behemoths in total gross.
You want to make a small title/avatar bet for domestic gross? Avatar made 95% of its domestic gross after 12 weeks, so we can compare at that point. It also released on the exact same day in December, though I recall there being a huge blizzard in the northeast which is why the opening weekend number wasn't super great and the second weekend number only dropped 1.8%.

• Locked thread