Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dr Cheeto posted:

New melee - the post button
When you use it all nearby cops look at you and roll their eyes

since most of them wear goggles they make the head motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Mike Sparks heist:

"Gang, we got a hot tip from an exceptionally intelligent military analyst blogger about an amazing new piece of military tech that just got delivered to Murkywater. All I know is that it's boxy, leightweight, slow, and poorly-armored. The perfect military equipment. Due to its incredible lightweight, it can be easily airdropped or placed into a dufflebag and carried."

The Mike Sparks heist includes the following features:

-Steal M113 Gavins to keep Murkywater from becoming the most powerful PMC.
-Carry the Gavins to a bigger "Escape Gavin."
-Safe House is now a Gavin.
-James M. Gavin added as a new heister.
-Includes "updated" (no specifics given) version of an old US military gun that is somehow better than anything today.
-Fursuit masks.
-Free, real-life Gavin added to Payday 2 Merchandise page.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I had to google to get that joke, Z, and now I hate myself, you, Sparks, Gavin, and everyone.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I had to google to get that joke, Z, and now I hate myself, you, Sparks, Gavin, and everyone.

"Gavin" is to milspergs as "Death Vox" is to this thread.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I have learned more about milspergs today than I ever wanted to know.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Plan Z posted:

Speaking of milspergs, what's the deal with the Gavins? Are they just overproduced or some poo poo?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Plan Z posted:

Speaking of milspergs, what's the deal with the Gavins? Are they just overproduced or some poo poo?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Nobody even linked the best part of Gavinchat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwHqLtK_TpY

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I can't tell if any of those are serious or not. They can't be, right?!?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

lmfao listen to the video http://store.steampowered.com/app/416760/

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

what sort of loophole did they use to get this on steam

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

CommunistPancake posted:

The "A Literal Pile of poo poo Could Get On Steam At This Point" loophole.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

Putting games that you're charging money for on Steam uses a loophole?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Plan Z posted:

both of them have the same basis in reality, at least

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Wales Grey posted:

Putting games that you're charging money for on Steam uses a loophole?

To get something on Steam you have to go through a publisher who's already on Steam (and these guys didn't), or you have to go through Greenlight. I can't believe such an obviously bad game would get greenlit but apparently it did so that explains that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr Cheeto posted:

New melee - the post button
When you use it all nearby cops look at you and roll their eyes

Vox cannot merely be bound to a key.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

CommunistPancake posted:

I can't believe such an obviously bad game would get greenlit

http://store.steampowered.com/app/321060/

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Coolguye posted:

since most of them wear goggles they make the head motion

the cloaker goggles spin wildly ontop of his head

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Finally did overdrill. We nearly ran out of medical supplies but it was actually pretty doable.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

$24.99

this is a dating sim video game that is twenty four ninety nine

i am mad at lovely video games

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

BillmasterCozb posted:

$24.99

this is a dating sim video game that is twenty four ninety nine

i am mad at lovely video games

Over 375,000 words. That's like 150 words a penny!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Vox cannot merely be bound to a key.

This is true.

In celebration of the season, Death Vox Santa's Workshop

Santa's workshop is straightforward enough that I'll focus on changes. The heist requires that you secure 100 presents for Vlad. As on other DV heists, sniper and enemy spawns are changed to be nastier (though enemy spawn positions are already pretty bad tbh). Expect additional skylight and window snipers. Overwatch (mass simultaneous sniper spawn, announced by Bain) can occur.

Process notes:
  • Many more enemy bikers at the beginning of the heist- almost up to the spawn limit.
  • You have 8 elves at the start of the heist-four on each side of the map. 2 elves will not appear in the same room. As in the normal game, one of them will not be targeted by police.
  • Each elf has a supply of three materials they're working with: "Snow" (coke), "Trees" (pot) and "Toys" (snowman bongs). They can and will run out of these as the heist continues, requiring you to go get them more from designated spawnpoints.
    1. Snow is being delivered by snowblower. You can gather more by standing in an active blower and holding the use key. A snowblower will always be active when more snow is needed. (yes, this can be exploited)
    2. Trees are a two step process. Gather raw trees from the "forest" in the center of the building and bag them- either at "Santa's Slay" on the right side or at the christmas tree on the left side.
    3. Toys are gathered from a shelf on the back right corner of the workshop. They have a longer interaction compared with the other items.
  • All of these supplies are inventory items akin to planks, so they don't weigh you down. The game will try to only let as many people pick up items as are needed for the elves, but as always duping is a possibility and recommended.
  • Securing presents works a bit differently. One chimney will be always be available to secure presents at any time. The difference is that both chimneys are always open; there's a fire going underneath one of them instead! Bags tossed into a lit chimney are destroyed. The open chimney alternates only when X number of bags are secured in it. X is a random number ranging from 5 to 10. Bain will tell you when it happens, and a HUDS indicator will also let you know. Throw carefully!
  • Equipment/traps are unchanged.

Present events:
10 bags: The present supply system mentioned above begins to occur. Until this point, elves will not run out of materials.
16 bags: laser tripmines go active scattered around the back trainyard area. Bain announces this ("I just got a signal- the police are activating something out back"). More will periodically spawn, about every ten minutes. Bain will mention this each time ("police have set more mines, guys, watch out!")
25 bags: A turret truck drives up and parks immediately outside the front left door. This both blocks a sightline to the front chimney and serves as an additional spawn location.
40 bags: Winters spawns near the chimney behind the workshop.
41 bags: A turret spawns on one of the buildings overlooking the rear chimney.
50 bags: Additional spawnpoints will be made active in the workshop interior.
56 bags: Simultaneous 5 cloaker spawn from locations in the warehouse.
70 bags: As on White Xmas, 6 black dozers will spawn across the map.
81 bags: A turret drives through the front left door and crashes into Santa's Slay. This spawns a one-time, large set of police and specials, as on Bomb Forest- it is not a permanent enemy spawnpoint. This tree bagging location is disabled.
100 bags: Vlad is thrilled! You've saved christmas! Both chimneys are now always available and you can secure more presents, but Vlad needs one last thing before you go. The Xmas timer safe will begin spawning between assault waves, and is now available. Vlad wants something important that's inside- his "Secret Santa gift."

Xmas timer safe:
2 minutes, no changes. The safe can be attempted again each assault break. What's Vlad's special surprise gift? 5 safes, as from Aftershock. Secure them all for the escape to become available.

Tulip posted:

Over 375,000 words. That's like 150 words a penny!

I need to step my game up.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 16, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's kinda hosed up but I feel like an educational game about this would be pretty good

this isn't that game tho

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Tulip posted:

Finally did overdrill. We nearly ran out of medical supplies but it was actually pretty doable.

Overdrill is easy as long as there is basic teamwork. For instance, not attempting to have 2 people defend the drill while 2 disable the magnetic lock.

Then, once you get into the vault, you don't even need that so long as you packed an M308/sniper rifle and sufficient ammo. Hardest part from then on is moving 84 bags of loot.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

This is true.

In celebration of the season, Death Vox Santa's Workshop

Vox, normally this insanity's vaguely amusing, but this one's just bad. It's too long, too complex, has too many gently caress you points (the chimneys randomly destroying bags, for example) and sounds like absolutely zero fun.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Wastrel_ posted:

Overdrill is easy as long as there is basic teamwork. For instance, not attempting to have 2 people defend the drill while 2 disable the magnetic lock.

Then, once you get into the vault, you don't even need that so long as you packed an M308/sniper rifle and sufficient ammo. Hardest part from then on is moving 84 bags of loot.

I'd say the hardest part towards the end is getting out of the vault area to the escape sequence through the hellscape that is the front of the bank. Dumping the gold into the vents is easy, if time-consuming.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Wilko posted:

Doing some test stuff to get the National Guard mutator to work better and accidentally left the game running in fast-forward while I messed with the code

I didn't get shot at until I started shooting, but got downed nearly instantly after I fired a shot :v:

I also found an old thing in my screenshots folder from this time last year. I was making space invaders playable inside the game, I got sprites, animations, and input working before getting bored and making the weapon customizer instead.

God drat.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Laputanmachine posted:

I'd say the hardest part towards the end is getting out of the vault area to the escape sequence through the hellscape that is the front of the bank. Dumping the gold into the vents is easy, if time-consuming.

Nah, even then you can just wait for a lull in the spawns and make a run for it. The turret, if it even spawns, is such a non-threat. The only really dangerous part is being caught up on the stairs in the cafeteria. Most bad teams that gently caress up Overdrill (and aren't loving up the puzzle itself) waste too many resources in the first part of the map where it's still played normally. Once you get inside the regular vault and clear it out the spawns flip to the escape zone so it becomes laughably easy. I have no concrete proof but it feels like they've definitely toned down the spawns from when FWB came out because I have barely see any special units during Overdrills lately.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tempest_56 posted:

Vox, normally this insanity's vaguely amusing, but this one's just bad. It's too long, too complex, has too many gently caress you points (the chimneys randomly destroying bags, for example) and sounds like absolutely zero fun.

Thanks for the feedback- I'll take another look at it. I'm more likely to drop the item system than the lit chimneys, because the chimneys are way too easy to exploit in the current version- you can stack bags in the one our front all day and police will barely touch them, all for a giant reqard when it becomes the deposit part.

Tulip posted:

Overdrill chat

A reminder that burning into, but not entering, the normal vault prevents bulldozers from spawning during the drill wait and tile sequence.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

UnknownMercenary posted:

I have no concrete proof but it feels like they've definitely toned down the spawns from when FWB came out because I have barely see any special units during Overdrills lately.

it's also possible they get stuck in the front lobby and stare menacingly at a wall for 33 minutes

As with you I have no proof but I agree that, subjectively at least, Overdrill in pd2 is a joke if you can breach into the back area without dying too much up front which I admit is a tall order for some pub teams.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tempest_56 posted:

I've modified the chimney section a bit- you can now secure bags at any time. To be clear, you get a great big visual and aural indication of which chimney is safe- it's the one with the "secure bags here" indicator on it-the one that's not full of smoke. Bain also tells you when the chimney switches. Burning presents should only happen if you're really not paying attention.

Does this help? Does any one of the bag events stand out as especially unfair?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 16, 2015

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I've modified the chimney section a bit- you can now secure bags at any time. To be clear, you get a great big visual and aural indication of which chimney is safe- it's the one with the "secure bags here" indicator on it-the one that's not full of smoke. Bain also tells you when the chimney switches. Burning presents should only happen if you're really not paying attention.

Does this help? Does any one of the bag events stand out as especially unfair?

The problem with the chimney thing is that even at a glance it's REALLY susceptible to desync and lag - oops, the game didn't update fast enough for the other players, you just lost several bags of loot to something that's absolutely not your fault. That's plain outright bullshit. Closing one point off is one thing, but destroying loot bags is too much.

The rest is just.. look, Death Vox is supposed to be challenging and a bit dickish, I get that. But you're outlining a situation that's straight-up combining the least fun aspects of a number of heists. It's a super-long endurance challenge (the only longer challenge in the game is the Overdrill), where you have to gather resources like on Rats 1 (except more widely scattered and you need a fairly constant supply of them), while defending points like Dockyard (except there's more of them, they can be permanently lost AND they're even more spread out) and ferrying a huge number of bags (more than any other heist in the game by a significant margin) between two distant locations. On top of this you're including mass sniper waves, respawning trip mines, multiple turrets, actively removing some resource gathering points (to slow things further) and finishing it off with a mandatory 2 minute super-assault in a restricted location with poor cover. Half those things would be a challenge; all of them together makes this sound like a frustrating slog. The 100 bag limit in particular makes it horrid - a tough, rear end in a top hat-ish challenge is nice, but not one that's AN HOUR LONG and can very easily run longer.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

From what I understand about Deathvox though it's supposed to use regular Overkill numbers and stuff so it would just be really tedious more than anything else.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
speculation on desync, lag, and balance kinda dont matter when your product does not and will never exist

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tempest_56 posted:

The problem with the chimney thing is that even at a glance it's REALLY susceptible to desync and lag - oops, the game didn't update fast enough for the other players, you just lost several bags of loot to something that's absolutely not your fault. That's plain outright bullshit. Closing one point off is one thing, but destroying loot bags is too much.

OK, the usual way this is handled is with a warning period- would that work? I really don't have an alternative available for bag destruction at the chimneys. A major problem with the current chimney system is that they're a nonissue- you kill the turret out front, then you can "guard" the bags you leave in there from the warehouse. This basically makes the back half of the map irrelevant, and bag depositing a nonissue.

Tempest_56 posted:

It's a super-long endurance challenge (the only longer challenge in the game is the Overdrill),
Remember, twice as many elves, and securing bags is always available. All of the endless heists have an increased bag requirement on Death Vox, but Santa's Workshop is a lot easier and faster than the others, particularly since there's no diminishing returns.

Tempest_56 posted:

where you have to gather resources like on Rats 1 (except more widely scattered and you need a fairly constant supply of them),
You're not having to get one of each item for every present or anything- it's a sporadic event (probably ~5 times for each item over the course of 100 bags) to keep players from camping an easily defensible set of elves and stabilizing their plan for securing bags on each location. As I hinted, there are also ways to exploit some parts of this system. If you leave one elf in need of snow once an easily accessible blower is going, you guarantee that location for all other coke events. I think this is way easier than Rats 1 or Cook off- in both of those cases the supply locations are much more exposed.

Tempest_56 posted:

while defending points like Dockyard (except there's more of them, they can be permanently lost AND they're even more spread out)
Well, you don't need to defend all the elves all the time. A major issue with the heist right now is that elf defense is fairly trivial, especially with Muscle. Keeping elves working just isn't that hard. :shrug:

Tempest_56 posted:

ferrying a huge number of bags (more than any other heist in the game by a significant margin) between two distant locations.
I'm definitely guilty here. My only point of defense is that presents are lightweight and easy to move- and that the devs wanted folks moving bags between these locations in the first place. The anticipated player response is to hoard bags in the workshop and run them out in sets to get the chimney to switch.

Tempest_56 posted:

On top of this you're including mass sniper waves, respawning trip mines, multiple turrets, actively removing some resource gathering points (to slow things further) and finishing it off with a mandatory 2 minute super-assault in a restricted location with poor cover. Half those things would be a challenge; all of them together makes this sound like a frustrating slog. The 100 bag limit in particular makes it horrid - a tough, rear end in a top hat-ish challenge is nice, but not one that's AN HOUR LONG and can very easily run longer.

UnknownMercenary posted:

From what I understand about Deathvox though it's supposed to use regular Overkill numbers and stuff so it would just be really tedious more than anything else.
Yeah, pretty much. Certain special behavior and damage is tweaked (Dozers and Winters get substantial explosion resistance and you can't instakill turrets with flamethrowers), but otherwise it's Overkill difficulty. This is proving to be more of a problem than I'd planned, difficulty-wise, because DW damage rates are still binary and unfun under many circumstances, but the power creep of perk decks and weapons is making it hard to keep challenge in overkill gameplay without more events like in the listed plan. The only problem of current santa's workshop is that it gets pretty boring and samey after the first ten bags. I'm still trying to think through how to accomplish this more effectively. Input from both of you on how to accomplish this is really appreciated!

Afraid of Audio posted:

speculation on desync, lag, and balance kinda dont matter when your product does not and will not ever exist
ACT->FLIRTJOKE

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
jokes should be funny

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
"And what do you call this difficulty?"
"The Aristocrats!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

"And what do you call this difficulty?"
"The Aristocrats!"

Thank you for reminding me- I need to simplify one of my older DV designs where after a jewelry store or H&T or something you run through every escape, modified, in a row. Oy, what was I thinking.

Afraid of Audio posted:

jokes should be funny

You have to time the bags!

There's a Johnny Fiveaces reference in the same conversation- I just noticed.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 16, 2015

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
please dont ruin 2 games i enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, the usual way this is handled is with a warning period- would that work? I really don't have an alternative available for bag destruction at the chimneys. A major problem with the current chimney system is that they're a nonissue- you kill the turret out front, then you can "guard" the bags you leave in there from the warehouse. This basically makes the back half of the map irrelevant, and bag depositing a nonissue.

Any warning period long enough to account for desync is going to make the change-over ineffective to dissuade a coordinated team. I see the issue you're designing at, but your solution has major problems.

quote:

Remember, twice as many elves, and securing bags is always available.

Let's take a look at the math. So mask up, run in, find 8 elves, shout at them, kill thugs. Let's say a minute there to get to full production. You need 13 presents from each elf (12.5 but rounding). 2.5 minutes per present. Between them cowering, delays in picking up presents and needing to run to get the resupply items, let's say you lose 1 minute of productivity for every four presents. So 11 minutes per 4 bags; 35.5 minutes to completion. Then the 2 minute safe fight and another 2 minutes to lug the safes to the drop-off and get everyone to the escape. So absolute minimum it's over 40 minutes - on a 100% perfect run. Even a perfect run is going to be longer than any other non-Overdrill single day. A full cook Rats 1 gets close, but that's the only thing I can think of that's nearly as arduously long. Particularly since this is (again) full of a ton of pointlessly gently caress-you moments ("Oops, sorry, you just destroyed several bags due to lag and now you're surrounded by tripmine, the Captain just spawned on the other side of the map and there's a freshly spawned turret firing at you from an elevated position. You can do nothing to prevent this. Are You Having Fun Yet?")