Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Just do like I did and sign up for an audible trial and get the audiobook version free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

To be fair, Avasarala is his polar opposite and she doesn't come out clean either. (:siren: book 5 red wedding spoilers) The way she not only accepts pragmatic realpolitik but enjoys it (eg she loves letting space-Mengele off with a slap on the wrist) comes across as very mature and hard-nosed and sensible. But only until her entire planet is blown up because she needlessly pragmatism'd the Belt past breaking point.

What? Who's the space-Mengele she let off with a slap on the wrist? And how did she screw the Belt?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I really hope that the show can emphasize Holden's "drat the torpedoes - I"M GONNA DO THE RIGHT THING AS I SEE IT WITHOUT CONTEXT OR REFLECTION OF CONSEQUENCES!" and how it keeps biting him and his crew in the rear end. It was a little more subtle in the book than I thought, because it seems like a lot of readers missed that entirely and skipped right to "Holden's loving stupid I can't read this his choices upset me so much" (which to be fair is par for the course on goons as media consumers in general)

gohmak posted:

Is The Magians just HP goes to college?
No, it's "privileged white kids go to hogwarts, and then use their powers to do coke and gently caress a lot and be unsatisfied with life." It's deeper than that, but most goons hate Quentin because they're secretly envious.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 15, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I really hope that the show can emphasize Holden's "drat the torpedoes - I"M GONNA DO THE RIGHT THING AS I SEE IT WITHOUT CONTEXT OR REFLECTION OF CONSEQUENCES!" and how it keeps biting him and his crew in the rear end. It was a little more subtle in the book than I thought, because it seems like a lot of readers missed that entirely and skipped right to "Holden's loving stupid I can't read this his choices upset me so much" (which to be fair is par for the course on goons as media consumers in general)

Yeah it's one of the bits I liked about the books

Holden's idealistic view that all information should be free since he believes people will do the right thing if they have all the facts.

Avasarala on the other hand has a much more cynical view than Holden. People will use information as a reason to go hogwild and make rash moves despite the consequences.

]

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 16, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Barbe Rouge posted:

What? Who's the space-Mengele she let off with a slap on the wrist? And how did she screw the Belt?

(early books) I can't remember specifically, but some of the protovirus collaborators get forced into comfortable retirement and she's all 'aha when you're rich and powerful you don't go to prison silly idealists'. She comes across as being pretty smug about the whole thing, rather than just resigned to it.

As for the Belt, it's pretty clear she calls most of the shots on Earth. If she wasn't actively making laws to exploit the Belters, she certainly didn't try to stop the people who were. Probably with an "oh the plebs will always get the short end of the stick, sensible people don't waste any political capital on them" attitude.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Don't get me wrong Avasarala is cool as hell but she has hosed up plenty as well. A well written character! :yayclod:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

(early books) I can't remember specifically, but some of the protovirus collaborators get forced into comfortable retirement and she's all 'aha when you're rich and powerful you don't go to prison silly idealists'. She comes across as being pretty smug about the whole thing, rather than just resigned to it.

As for the Belt, it's pretty clear she calls most of the shots on Earth. If she wasn't actively making laws to exploit the Belters, she certainly didn't try to stop the people who were. Probably with an "oh the plebs will always get the short end of the stick, sensible people don't waste any political capital on them" attitude.

1. I think you're remembering it wrong, it's completely out of character for her.
2. This feels like it's deduced out of the picture of her you made in the first point (slap on the wrist).

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Barbe Rouge posted:

1. I think you're remembering it wrong, it's completely out of character for her.
2. This feels like it's deduced out of the picture of her you made in the first point (slap on the wrist).

You're probably right about my first point, but the second one stands. She spent years in charge of the forces that were nickel-and-diming the Belt for literal air and did nothing about it, and predictably it blew up in Earth's face. I don't think the books ever make the connection explicit, but I can't see it not being there considering she's the de facto ruler of the UN.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Magicians is Harry Potter meets The Secret History by Donna Tartt (AKA the best book ever).

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

I like this show. It's a pretty good adaptation. Miller / Alex / Naomi / Avasarala are all great. Havelock & Amos aren't quite what I pictured, and Naomi isn't belter-proportioned, but I can get on board.

Holden is the only one I'm not feeling.

Oh, and (Episode 3 spoiler) Jared Harris' belter accent was a bizarre experience.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

You're probably right about my first point, but the second one stands. She spent years in charge of the forces that were nickel-and-diming the Belt for literal air and did nothing about it, and predictably it blew up in Earth's face. I don't think the books ever make the connection explicit, but I can't see it not being there considering she's the de facto ruler of the UN.

True, I never thought of it like that.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Hedrigall posted:

Apparently episode 3 and 4 (but not 2 for some weird reason) went up early on streaming services. And maybe some other places...

aaaaand syfy steered into the skid and went ahead and put them all up on their website, lol

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Ah, good for them. Still must suck, but lately it must be expected with every package of screeners sent out. I want to be strong and wait till they air, but since they're up on official channels, I'm just going to get stuck in the same rut of waiting as before. Such is life :shrug:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Noctone posted:

aaaaand syfy steered into the skid and went ahead and put them all up on their website, lol

Good on them. I will be watching them with my wife so those will have to wait for broadcast but there isn't much harm in them doing so.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Ahhh, there's a peek at the Amos I know and love.

edit: Is it just the Space feed (never the best), or is the audio for the helmets really fuzzy? I have to crank the volume up just for these scenes.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 16, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Noctone posted:

It's true, they have all 4 episodes up.

I guess they figured they might as well seeing how reviewer screeners tend to get leaked pretty fast to the internet

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

It's true, they have all 4 episodes up.

I guess they figured they might as well seeing how reviewer screeners tend to get leaked pretty fast to the internet

Only episode 1 is up for me but I went ahead and acquired the leaked eps 3/4.

Yeeeesh that's quite a bodycount so far

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Just watched 2, going to watch 3 and 4, but I still really like what they've done with this all around. I'm not crazy about Alex's acting but I can deal with it.

edit: oh and I really liked the whole title sequence and I wish they hadn't abbreviated it

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 16, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stuart scott posted:

Just watched 2, going to watch 3 and 4, but I still really like what they've done with this all around. I'm not crazy about Alex's acting but I can deal with it.

edit: oh and I really liked the whole title sequence and I wish they hadn't abbreviated it

I'm just starting 4, but god drat people watch these when you get the chance because holy poo poo does it escalate.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The grim dark future still has annoying mormon missionaries.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Goddamn this show is loving awesome. If you had any reservations to viewing this, get over your poo poo.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Welp, I'm weak and now I hate myself, because it'll be another three-week wait for a new episode. What a loving trip, though.

The blood bubble... they actually did it :stare:

Also I'm pretty sure Space hasn't put up the second episode yet, let alone the leaked episodes, so either they'll do it when they catch up with what's happening, or they just won't do it at all.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

KatWithHands posted:

Welp, I'm weak and now I hate myself, because it'll be another three-week wait for a new episode. What a loving trip, though.

The blood bubble... they actually did it :stare:

Also I'm pretty sure Space hasn't put up the second episode yet, let alone the leaked episodes, so either they'll do it when they catch up with what's happening, or they just won't do it at all.

I'm so happy SyFy has bought their soul back.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 16, 2015

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Sad that I now have to wait until the new year for new ones but GODDAMN this show kicks into gear in episodes 3 and 4.

pumped my fist for THE DEBUT OF THE ROCINANTE

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I don't hate the changes they've made from the book (started re-reading it after watching episode one, now halfway through episode three), but I'm curious to see exactly where they're going with them.

The fix-the-antenna crisis on the shuttle didn't strike me as being necessary to add, and they really changed the situation around Holden's broadcast about the Cant by having him do it after the Donnager shows up to collect them rather than the other way 'round. Simplifies things, I suppose, to have just the one broadcast, but it does remove the original broadcast as the catalyst for everything following. Also the MCRN in the show seem needlessly vicious (thus far) -- both sides handled the arrival aboard the Donnager more civilly in the book

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I can't find any sources beyond the wiki, but if they're right, the season ends on Eros. Considering it takes till episode 4 to reach the end of the Donnager, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. So they might be adding to certain scenes like the antenna just to bulk up the front end.

I love that even though this is a huge production, they're being smart with local Canadian talent like Greg Bryk and Shawn Doyle.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 16, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Best joke was when they signed up the Star Helix boss for the mormon email spam.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

I'm loving the series so far.

But did Naomi seriously throw a thin sheet of plastic to try and stop an explosive decompression? I can't be the only one who saw that.........

edit: just finished the 4th episode and this is a seriously rad show. Faithful to the books but it's going for its own style which I like. That Holden interrogation scene was cool as poo poo.

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 16, 2015

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Cutty Wise!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

KatWithHands posted:

the season ends on Eros. Considering it takes till episode 4 to reach the end of the Donnager, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

Doesn't the book end with Eros going into the atmosphere of Venus?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quinton posted:

The fix-the-antenna crisis on the shuttle didn't strike me as being necessary to add, and they really changed the situation around Holden's broadcast about the Cant by having him do it after the Donnager shows up to collect them rather than the other way 'round. Simplifies things, I suppose, to have just the one broadcast, but it does remove the original broadcast as the catalyst for everything following. Also the MCRN in the show seem needlessly vicious (thus far) -- both sides handled the arrival aboard the Donnager more civilly in the book

I don't know, it added urgency to the situation and it also established Amos's character for the audience so there was zero doubt about what he is.

Collateral posted:

Doesn't the book end with Eros going into the atmosphere of Venus?

I imagine they mean When Holden and company (+ Miller) show up on Eros right before everything goes to poo poo

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

flosofl posted:

I imagine they mean When Holden and company (+ Miller) show up on Eros right before everything goes to poo poo

Yep, that's the one! Sorry, wanted to be vague in case someone thought it was just an episode 3/4 spoiler and moused over.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, I'm not sad they're going to handle it that way. Means more episodes to cover the story. If they renew, anyway.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, I'm not sad they're going to handle it that way. Means more episodes to cover the story. If they renew, anyway.

Well, there's a tweet that the writers have been busy working on Season 2 that was sent back in May.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/05/the-expanse-renewed-for-2nd-season.html

However, I haven't seen anything else to substantiate that (but I haven't unleashed my final form in Google Fu either)

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Going to watch episode 2 again before I start complaining about the physics

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

Going to watch episode 2 again before I start complaining about the physics

I've found it to be pretty solid for the most part. The "floors" of the ships are oriented perpendicular to the engines for "gravity" under acceleration, otherwise they seem like they're always holding on to something, using mag-boots, or strapped in. And in space you're pretty much always under acceleration, there's no motive for coasting on purpose. The low-grav/Coriolis Effect with liquids being poured on Ceres has shown up a couple times and is always neat. There's a particularly cool sequence in ep4 where an action<->reaction move is done in zero-g.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I was a bit concerned how they would handle the whole book in 10 episodes while also diluting the focus with the Avasarala storyline. Two seasons works for me if that is their approach.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, I was a bit concerned how they would handle the whole book in 10 episodes while also diluting the focus with the Avasarala storyline. Two seasons works for me if that is their approach.

Yeah, I'm glad to see them go full GoT early and just mix and match the books a bit more. It's nice to see Avasarala in this context - she isn't even mentioned in Leviathan Wakes.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
So far the only disappointing part of the show is that Avarasala doesn't swear like a sailor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Noctone posted:

So far the only disappointing part of the show is that Avarasala doesn't swear like a sailor.

Which is weird because even Holden says "poo poo".

flosofl posted:

I've found it to be pretty solid for the most part. The "floors" of the ships are oriented perpendicular to the engines for "gravity" under acceleration, otherwise they seem like they're always holding on to something, using mag-boots, or strapped in. And in space you're pretty much always under acceleration, there's no motive for coasting on purpose. The low-grav/Coriolis Effect with liquids being poured on Ceres has shown up a couple times and is always neat. There's a particularly cool sequence in ep4 where an action<->reaction move is done in zero-g.

Upon second viewing there isn't much to nitpick other than the wrench Falling away in straight orientation when they were fixing the dish and climbing with effort into the airlock when they were done. If the ship was tumbling the star field would have been rotating and the wrench would fall away in a parabolic arc. If they were not then the wrench would not have floated far. They should have been weightless climbing into the airlock until there magboots contacted the deck.

Episode 3 has sold me on Amos and I recant anything negative I've said about his casting. He exceeded my imagination in delivering the balls joke. Martian interrogator and captain were awesome.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 16, 2015

• Locked thread