Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZdDtXzP

What? I- what? Did they actually take the Dead Rising 2 activists this seriously?

At first, I thought "you absolutely could not make up a more poo poo-kicking hayseed name than this", only to discover that it actually is a marketing gimmick. Get a load of this honky-tonk blowjob:

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I've been trying for years to figure out if Earl Dibbles Jr. is a clever parody or not.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
It is a parody, or at least an Angry Video Game Nerd-style invented character.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

This is one of my favorite pictures.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My favorite part is the clip art MSPaint tattoo.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I'm mom's candle lighter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RareAcumen posted:

What? I- what? Did they actually take the Dead Rising 2 activists this seriously?

There are people who do point out Zombie fantasy has a lot of ugly undertones about minorities and also holds a lot of appeal to those who wish the world was some kind of Mad Max scenario where they can shoot anyone they like without consequence.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

goose fleet posted:

It's almost like people want to chill out and listen to something simple and fun instead of dense political word salad littered with standard counter-culture stock phrases like "corporate America" set to a basic AABBCC rhyme scheme

Reminds me how Goldfinger was starting to get big after fun rock-pop songs like Here in Your Bedroom and Superman started getting mild play, then decided to come out with one of the worst political albums I've ever heard. Have heard literally nothing from them since. When I was younger, I'd look for validation in my beliefs, especially in punk music. The music was usually sacrificed on the altar of the message, but it made me feel important, so I dealt with it. Then I remember hearing The Dillinger Four's first album that had some pretty great lyrics that didn't explicitly spell out a vapid, shadowboxing opinion on an issue, and the music was still energetic and catchy.

I used to own The Exploited and Anti-Flag albums :cripes:

Plan Z has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Dec 15, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

There are people who do point out Zombie fantasy has a lot of ugly undertones about minorities

What doesn't?

twistedmentat posted:

and also holds a lot of appeal to those who wish the world was some kind of Mad Max scenario where they can shoot anyone they like without consequence.

Yeah, but we've already got gun fetishists who're hoping that happens anyway so they can be good guy with gun and eliminate the threat and suffer no remorse over killing someone because that's the kinda thing you just shove off like a soccer ball to the chest.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RareAcumen posted:

I don't consume a lot of zombie media but don't like a lot of the movies/shows humanize the zombification process at some point? Like, isn't a point that when someone in the hero's group starts to turn, they realize that the zombies are all people and killing them with no remorse is pretty hosed up?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

I don't consume a lot of zombie media but don't like a lot of the movies/shows humanize the zombification process at some point? Like, isn't a point that when someone in the hero's group starts to turn, they realize that the zombies are all people and killing them with no remorse is pretty hosed up?

I always just got that killing humans sucks and it's only worse when said human has a name and face that you know and isn't decomposing as well.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

kazil posted:

Zombie media is all exactly the same. Someone recognizes person they love, won't kill. Someone (possibly the character in question) dies because of this. Everyone is sad.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Nostradingus posted:

I've been trying for years to figure out if Earl Dibbles Jr. is a clever parody or not.

Whoever "Earl Dibbles Jr." is, he posts some of the most racist/xenophobic poo poo on Facebook. I once touched the poop and asked a friend of mine why they shared and adamantly agreed with the racist sentiment, and he just said "it makes you think though..."

:jerkbag:

EDJ just panders to racist shitheads who furiously masturbate to Guns N Ammo magazine.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

RareAcumen posted:

What doesn't?

I find the ethnic characteristics of monsters to be really fascinating. Dracula is traditionally coded as being ethnically Jewish, zombies are associated initially with voodoo religions (though recently it's become much more about how our urbanized society is so packed with people that if everyone turned against you, you would have no chance, regardless of race), Lovecraft's monsters were all based loosely around his general sense of paranoia regarding immigrants in Brooklyn being scarier than they seemed outwardly... Thankfully, the more we recycle these, the less we keep of the original ethnic fears.

The one about zombie advocates is probably meant to relate to (by the people sharing it, not so much by the parody character that created it) the way many people are supporting Syrian refugees when ISIS is also Syrian and is an enemy that might as well be a zombie for how much they want to destroy things without purpose.

Anyway, this is on the front page and it struck me because the title of the image is really bizarre: http://imgur.com/gallery/81SaUPt

This Charmander tattoo is apparently among the best things posted on imgur this year (I actually kind of like this one):

This self-congratulatory douche is just out for upvotes, and people are more-than-happy to give them: http://imgur.com/gallery/vTac0jK

Other than that, imgur is surprisingly lacking in terrible memes right now.

TheRecogScene has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Dec 16, 2015

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I find the ethnic characteristics of monsters to be really fascinating. Dracula is traditionally coded as being ethnically Jewish,

Not really sure where you get "Jewish" from, when he's explicitly Turkish. Like, there's some physical similarity, but beyond that it doesn't line up well at all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Puppy Time posted:

Not really sure where you get "Jewish" from, when he's explicitly Turkish. Like, there's some physical similarity, but beyond that it doesn't line up well at all.

It's probably more so because Dracula sucked the blood out of humans and Jews suck the fun out of Saturdays.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

twistedmentat posted:

There are people who do point out Zombie fantasy has a lot of ugly undertones about minorities and also holds a lot of appeal to those who wish the world was some kind of Mad Max scenario where they can shoot anyone they like without consequence.

You fuckin ZJW you

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This guy probably won't shut up about Hopsin.

Have you heard that song reagen by killer mike? :smug:

Hopsin is a lovely eminem knock off do people outside of juggalos actually like him?

At first I thought it was one of those dumb music was better back in X decade but I googled the top artist and he makes music at the same time as lil wayne.

snergle has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Dec 16, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

cash crab posted:

You fuckin ZJW you

#Undeadlivesmatter

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

twistedmentat posted:

#Undeadlivesmatter

#notallzombies

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

#Undeadlivesmatter

NotAnArtist posted:

#notallzombies

#allundeadmatter

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NotAnArtist posted:

#notallzombies

Isn't there a thing where racist gun nuts substitute "zombie" for "black people" and make shooting targets and stuff? I remember hearing about that somewhere, and it makes this a lot less funny :smith:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Your Computer posted:

Isn't there a thing where racist gun nuts substitute "zombie" for "black people" and make shooting targets and stuff? I remember hearing about that somewhere, and it makes this a lot less funny :smith:

Congratulations! You win Bummer Of The Day!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Computer posted:

People have already long since put Obama's face on shooting targets dude, you're a little late to this conversation.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's probably more so because Dracula sucked the blood out of humans and Jews suck the fun out of Saturdays.

Bram Stoker's characterization of Dracula is an Eastern European guy with dark skin who has a long, hooked nose, is rich, is very protective of his money, and hangs around with gypsies (i.e. other Eastern European thieves who also don't have a stable home). It isn't hard to read that as a stereotypical Jew (especially for an Irish writer who wouldn't have necessarily known exact details about Romania, where Transylvania is) and the tale as a whole about a fear of blood mixing. There are certainly other critiques though - some would say Dracula represents a fear of women becoming sexually empowered and running off with another man.

Also, I may be wrong on this so you may feel free to correct me, but I believe the the reference to Dracula and Turkey is related to Dracula fighting a Turkish count and winning his name there or something similar, and is more likely a reference to the story of Vlad the Impaler, from whom inspiration for Dracula is derived.

Your Computer posted:

There was a Trayvon Martin gun target for sale at one point, which was a target of a person but in a hoodie and with a bag of Skittles peeking out of the pocket. I would not be surprised if they sold "zombie" shooting targets that also had hoodies or were otherwise clearly meant to allude to black people.

Content:
Finally, a dumb meme makes it to the front page again:
http://imgur.com/gallery/Pb7Fq3m

You can also find a great swathe of random internet people who are really mad about the idea of the rich paying a 90% income tax again if politics are your thing:
http://imgur.com/gallery/FYzOd

TheRecogScene has a new favorite as of 08:29 on Dec 16, 2015

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

This Charmander tattoo is apparently among the best things posted on imgur this year (I actually kind of like this one):

This self-congratulatory douche is just out for upvotes, and people are more-than-happy to give them: http://imgur.com/gallery/vTac0jK

Other than that, imgur is surprisingly lacking in terrible memes right now.

When this was originally posted the "story" was that the tattoo artist was terrible and did an unexpectedly hilarious rendition of a charmander, everyone involved was surprised, hilarity ensued. As ever, this wasn't actually the case, in reality it was a (poor and uncredited) rendering of a piece from a fan art series "pokemon as drawn by Tim Burton", and other than being very badly tattooed, looked pretty much as intended

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Bram Stoker's characterization of Dracula is an Eastern European guy with dark skin who has a long, hooked nose, is rich, is very protective of his money, and hangs around with gypsies (i.e. other Eastern European thieves who also don't have a stable home). It isn't hard to read that as a stereotypical Jew (especially for an Irish writer who wouldn't have necessarily known exact details about Romania, where Transylvania is) and the tale as a whole about a fear of blood mixing. There are certainly other critiques though - some would say Dracula represents a fear of women becoming sexually empowered and running off with another man.

Also, I may be wrong on this so you may feel free to correct me, but I believe the the reference to Dracula and Turkey is related to Dracula fighting a Turkish count and winning his name there or something similar, and is more likely a reference to the story of Vlad the Impaler, from whom inspiration for Dracula is derived.

This is hell of off-topic, but I've never heard the "Dracula is a Jewish metaphor" interpretation before, and I'd like to know more. Do you happen to have any links hanging around?

And yeah, Dracula says of his family that "to us for centuries was trusted the guarding of the frontier of Turkey-land" and that a few of his ancestors won glory fighting the Turks. Dracula describes himself as Transylvanian.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Your Computer posted:

On an episode of doomsday preppers* I remember seeing one family who were very clearly using the term 'zombie apocalypse' to mean race war.

They had shooting range targets of 'zombies' all curiously dressed in huge baggy jeans and tilted baseball caps that they seemed to enjoy shooting at a wee bit too much.

*what? I ain't proud.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ooh so that's where that's from. I remember imgur falling all over themselves to make posts with that charmander to take in those sweet Internet points. And then act like they invented and owned the thing, as they often do.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

shelley posted:

This is hell of off-topic, but I've never heard the "Dracula is a Jewish metaphor" interpretation before, and I'd like to know more. Do you happen to have any links hanging around?

And yeah, Dracula says of his family that "to us for centuries was trusted the guarding of the frontier of Turkey-land" and that a few of his ancestors won glory fighting the Turks. Dracula describes himself as Transylvanian.

You haven't heard it because it's hell of stupid and, not surprisingly, racist. (As in only a racist could come up with it.)

E: And also very ignorant of other people's racism.)

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Dec 16, 2015

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fathis Munk posted:

Ooh so that's where that's from. I remember imgur falling all over themselves to make posts with that charmander to take in those sweet Internet points. And then act like they invented and owned the thing, as they often do.

so just like thinking dickbutt is theirs, constantly

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Siljmonster posted:

Oh em gee guys I went to a zoo and they had imguraffes!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm surprised that one guy from Pocahontas gif wasn't one of the top memes.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Siljmonster posted:

Yeah pretty much. See also : every other meme that gets popular on there.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

#Undeadlivesmatter

#UnLivesMatter :colbert:

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

shelley posted:

I googled around a bit because I first heard the interpretation offered in undergrad, and my vampire-obsessed professor (who I guess I should say was Jewish herself, so she doesn't sound like a Stormfront member) explained it well but didn't have any articles of her own to show it. This article in particular charts how vampires became more and more similar, visually, to caricatures of Jews, and looks at Dracula and Nosferatu. Here is a different, well-put-together article from a Jewish website that goes into the same kind of evidence and looks at the historical context for Jews in the time period. Here's an excerpt from a book by a Ph.D. on the subject.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Jesus gently caress how ignorant can a person be? That is literally ILUMENARTI CONFRIMED level poo poo.
I looked into it some more and people debate the meaning of the medallion/star/whatever in the film so I took it out. I apologize also for misusing the word "evidence" when I meant that they cite the same parts of the text to draw their conclusions. I'm also sorry that mentioning a particular example of a monster with a noted ethnic parallel was controversial enough to cause such a huge derail. I would like this thread to get back on topic so it doesn't end up gassed.

Content:

http://imgur.com/gallery/ON56JIG :happened:

http://imgur.com/gallery/yQHWU
This man is not "femenistic" and he is a "right wing, gun loving conservative who also happens to be a cop" who is posting his own selfie in defiance of the "sluts" who make it to the front page all the time. These people take upvotes way too loving seriously.

http://imgur.com/gallery/dazyV9w
Super deep Avatar "poetry" brought to you by those Funkers at FunnyMama.

TheRecogScene has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Dec 16, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uhhhhhh this is not a thing in literary analysis.

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Dracula is prominently wearing a Star of David throughout the film

Jesus gently caress how ignorant can a person be? That is literally ILUMENARTI CONFRIMED level poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/yQHWU
This man is not "femenistic" and he is a "right wing, gun loving conservative who also happens to be a cop" who is posting his own selfie in defiance of the "sluts" who make it to the front page all the time. These people take upvotes way too loving seriously.

Bootstrappers loving hate handouts for other people. 'Oh those women are getting internet points that offer no tangible benefit towards using this website' 'gently caress them, I deserve those internet points more!'

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/dazyV9w
Super deep Avatar "poetry" brought to you by those Funkers at FunnyMama.

Try as I might, I can't really hate this.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Imgur is really, really weird about boobs.

Pictures of hot celebrities or cosplayers showing cleavage get a lot of upvotes.
Pictures of women doing anything get "show us your boobs."
Women showing their own boobs get downvoted and called attention whores.

As far as I can tell they're pro-boob as long as it doesn't result in a woman feeling good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How do you expect greasy internet nerds to know anything about making a woman feel good

• Locked thread