Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

pepito sanchez posted:

swift question if anyone here uses it:
networking. am i really recreating the wheel trying to do something like java's remote/unicast? is the language still that much in its infancy that no decent libraries for persistence and communication exist?

you should ask in the grey forums apple dev thread, but the answer is basically that yes, swift has not yet acquired great native answers for these things. if you are interested you may help design them, but in the meantime you should be using the existing apple platform facilities, which iirc are a little dated but not nearly so ridiculously lovely that it's worth reinventing things. otoh i am astonishingly ignorant about certain things which is why you should ask in the grey forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Ochowie posted:

Is there a c# or java equivalent to numpy/scipy/pandas? I would prefer to use either of those languages but the python numerical analysis stack is too good.

F# should be able to use any R package through typeproviders. Not sure if its enough to replace numy/scipy/pandas though, im dumb so i dont use those things.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

I don't get why you'd use react instead of knockout

for me, it's because i have more experience in older UI toolkits, like Java (SWT/Swing/AWT), bits of GTK/wxWindows, and a lot of Qt.

react reminds me of them:

- i describe a bunch of widgets
- these widgets have a paint method that gets called when things change
- i can call out to other widgets inside another's render method, and pass state through

as opposed to things where i describe my project and put the individual parts of widgets in different directories. the modern MVC interpretation of decomposing your project by the features your components have is not one i'm happy with. react is a little bit better in places than an average toolkit - it's essentially double buffering for me already. i render afresh from scratch and it's as if i swap in the result. (react's dom diffing makes this performant) - it doesn't try and handle anything more than the UI bits, and it's got reasonable support for rendering ahead of time.

but i do miss qt's signals and slots and think that a lot of the homebrew event connectors could be substantially better in API

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mvvm is where it is at

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Model View Vicodin Moonshine

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Wikipedia has a list of various math libraries by language, a lot of the .NET stuff has no links.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my brother decided being an English major isn't working and wants to switch majors and be a terrible programmer instead

he;lp

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

try kaggle, they also have fat prizes if your solution is the best performing

Knowing nothing about ML and wanting to learn at least a little, I followed through with the Kaggle Titanic example and thought it was neat. What I'm struggling with is where you could or would want to apply these techniques in the software you write day-to-day. I get that you ideally need a lot of data, and you can probably track what your users do as a set of data for this use, but I'm at a loss as to what you would want to try to predict really. Anyone have any anecdotes of where they apply Machine Learning at their day job and find useful information?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

thats because these lists are basically just append-only so you wind up with poo poo from 2006 that hasn't been released since 2007 and only targets net 1.1 on there

the state of numerics in .net is ugly

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

super garbage that numeric types (int/float/double/decimal/etc) arent implementors of some IAddable/IMultipliable/INumber base thing or something so if you want to make, say, a filter that can take a double, float, decimal, or int you have to make four different versions of the same loving thing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MeruFM posted:

i tried react a bit

my initial impression is I would need to be forced to use it over knockout or even angular because it's not overtly better.
reactive programming is a good idea but both knockout and angular have that capability if you build it right

maybe using components and rendering explicitly is faster than just using $scope/observables and dom attributes?

i mean comparing them at all is really silly. angular is almost an entire web framework living in the client. react is just a really really good tool for building uis.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

along with basically no numerics libs there's even less for plotting/graphing/whatever. i had to roll my own plotting lib because i wanted to plot some signals in c#.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

for me, it's because i have more experience in older UI toolkits, like Java (SWT/Swing/AWT), bits of GTK/wxWindows, and a lot of Qt.

react reminds me of them:

- i describe a bunch of widgets
- these widgets have a paint method that gets called when things change
- i can call out to other widgets inside another's render method, and pass state through

as opposed to things where i describe my project and put the individual parts of widgets in different directories. the modern MVC interpretation of decomposing your project by the features your components have is not one i'm happy with. react is a little bit better in places than an average toolkit - it's essentially double buffering for me already. i render afresh from scratch and it's as if i swap in the result. (react's dom diffing makes this performant) - it doesn't try and handle anything more than the UI bits, and it's got reasonable support for rendering ahead of time.

but i do miss qt's signals and slots and think that a lot of the homebrew event connectors could be substantially better in API

i havent used react but I definitely hate swing/swt so bad

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Shaggar posted:

i havent used react but I definitely hate swing/swt so bad

while most of the teams at my job have moved over to web interfaces for poo poo, there are still people developing NEW PRODUCTS in swing.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

along with basically no numerics libs there's even less for plotting/graphing/whatever. i had to roll my own plotting lib because i wanted to plot some signals in c#.

Look into http://fslab.org/FSharp.Charting/

You might have to use a little f# but you can probably make it work from just c#

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ill keep that in mind going forward, thanks

current application has weird live view requirements around piping a few megabytes per second of data into an array of plot views that the current solution handles well so i'm probably not gonna change here though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Luigi Thirty posted:

my brother decided being an English major isn't working and wants to switch majors and be a terrible programmer instead

he;lp

I majored in poetry composition (with minors in photography and philosophy) and now I am a professional terrible programmer. Seems like a solid career path to me.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Luigi Thirty posted:

he;lp

Tell him to learn javascript so he can earn some figgies writing terrible web apps.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I majored in poetry composition (with minors in photography and philosophy) and now I am a professional terrible programmer. Seems like a solid career path to me.

:hfive: journalism with history and political science

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Opulent Ceremony posted:

Knowing nothing about ML and wanting to learn at least a little, I followed through with the Kaggle Titanic example and thought it was neat. What I'm struggling with is where you could or would want to apply these techniques in the software you write day-to-day. I get that you ideally need a lot of data, and you can probably track what your users do as a set of data for this use, but I'm at a loss as to what you would want to try to predict really. Anyone have any anecdotes of where they apply Machine Learning at their day job and find useful information?

I feel like the know-how of how to deal with data, like some basic parsing and visualization skills, are more important at a day job than ML per se. you know, what they call the data science kind of approach to stuff

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
why do people like YAML and is there any real reason to use it over JSON?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm a failed mathematics major and turning to programming was maybe the best decision in my life

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I majored in computational mathematics and dropped out :downs: I mean it helps that I was programming as a hobby for years first.

The biggest thing to do imo is have them sit down and write some babbys first code or whatever. Something really boring and tedious. Tell them that this will be their life for 8 to 12 hours a day, at least 5 days a week.

I've scared off like 3 different people who just settled on programming "because computer and money!" that way

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

craisins posted:

idk its good for config files, that's about it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

craisins posted:

yaml is useful if you want to do remote code execution

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
json Is useful if you're using a browser or are too stupid to understand xml

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
i wanted to be a math teacher so i majored in math. at the end of my junior year my gf (at the time) and i signed up to take some education class to start working towards teaching certificates. we broke up over the summer. five minutes into the second class, i was sitting across the room from her and texted her "sorry" and she looked at me, and i shrugged, and got up, walked out, and dropped the gently caress out of that class.

now i sit at a desk, typing code all day. she works at old navy.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
my 2nd favorite internet weirdo posts mainly about really advanced algebra jerking off and working at a target

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Barnyard Protein posted:

my 2nd favorite internet weirdo posts mainly about really advanced algebra jerking off and working at a target

I feel conflicted about asking who this is

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my dad's friend programmed the computers at norad that tell you when we're about to be nuked to death

he's crazy now

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Luigi Thirty posted:

my dad's friend programmed the computers at norad that tell you when we're about to be nuked to death

he's crazy now
that's reassuring

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Barnyard Protein posted:

please don't post my blog

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

yaml is useful if you want to do remote code execution

isnt this what soap is for

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no soap is just xml. theres no code in there

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Luigi Thirty posted:

he;lp
if all he wants is a reliable paycheck, it's a good idea. demand for programmers far outstrips supply and that doesn't look like it'll change any time soon.

now someone's gonna quote this and say something like 'not everyone can be a programmer like me', but they're wrong. anyone can learn to program. whether they can learn to program *well* is a different question, but again if all your brother wants is a reliable paycheck then whether he can program well is irrelevant.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Opulent Ceremony posted:

i am a machine learning researcher. previously for a biotech startup, now for a hedge fund. tell me what software you write day-to-day and i'll try and find some papers that might be interesting to you

my old ML bigpost might be of interest to you too

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I'm glad you're making tons of money finally, unless that hedge fund is grossly underpaying you.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is it still necessary to do all this notifypropertychanged boilerplate bullshit with wpf or did i miss a memo because im getting really tired of
code:
private _butt;
public double Butt
{
        get { return _butt; }
        set { _butt = value; NotifyPropertyChanged(); }
 }

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

is it still necessary to do all this notifypropertychanged boilerplate bullshit with wpf or did i miss a memo because im getting really tired of
code:
private _butt;
public double Butt
{
        get { return _butt; }
 }

NotifyPropertyChanged raises an event, I assume (if you're using it like we do), and while WPF may use that to do things, it's not WPF boilerplate. You can have a hell of a lot of other things subscribing to and doing things with that event, depending on what the property is. What would you propose to be a more straightforward way to signal that a property has changed to any subscribers that care to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

code:

private _butt;
public double Butt
{
        get { return _butt; }
 }

you can use a code generation tool but otherwise :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread