Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Jefferson/Clinton. Jefferson had recognized the need for a strong central government by the time he ran for reelection, so I'm honestly not sure it even will matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Proposition Joe posted:

Rufus King seems to be have been born in Massachusetts, so it seems as though the Federalist Party will be getting my vote once again.

Where once we did away with a King, you bring one back!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

King/Clinton I guess but there aren't alot of good options here. Jefferson is just too much of a poo poo person for me to vote for.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Federalist til I die

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Good grief at all these single-issue voters fixated on banning abortion slavery for the past quarter of a century of elections. It's legal and it's never going away, get over it!

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Just so those of you voting Jefferson for his lukewarm abolitionism know, even when he's right he can find a way to be real loving wrong.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
This garbage loving election made me vote for Jefferson :suicide:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Jeffersons only hope of winning was to pass that bullshit 12th amendment, John Adams forever!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It doesn't matter who you elect on slavery because that shits gonna ride around for another half a century anyway. The momentum from the south is just too powerful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gentlemen, I propose that that we adopt a method of “tagging” our publications so as to make them more visible to like‐minded patriots.

I suggest we use the index (☞) for this purpose.

☞gentlycaressthesouth

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

we're gonna get beat the gently caress up and shot

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

The honorable Mr. Jefferson might appear to be what the youth refer to as, and I quote, "a creeper." But at least he is his own man, with his own unique aesthetic with regards to fashion and equivocating on slavery.
The continued flailing of the Federalists is just sad, really depressing. These two toadies should go back to the old world they love so much, tbh.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Only one candidate in this election is an icon of American funk music

vote Democratic-Republican

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
drat, as far as a unified timeline is concerned there's really no way to justify John Jay not participating this time around is there?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If a dude wants to retire after two terms of VP and a term of president, then so be it. :colbert:

He also served as chief justice for four years between his VP terms, he's tuckered out.

Lycus has issued a correction as of 08:22 on Dec 16, 2015

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

RagnarokAngel posted:

It doesn't matter who you elect on slavery because that shits gonna ride around for another half a century anyway. The momentum from the south is just too powerful.

I could see the South freaking out if Adams had been the first president as this thread had done. The civil war would already be happening, probably in response to the Whiskey Rebellion, and we'd be living in Adams' monarchy.

Platystemon posted:

Gentlemen, I propose that that we adopt a method of “tagging” our publications so as to make them more visible to like‐minded patriots.

I suggest we use the index (☞) for this purpose.

☞gentlycaressthesouth

I concur! In celebration please examine this attatched lithograph of my quite fancy new pantaloons. ☞carpediem ☞macaroni ☞commonsense

foobardog has issued a correction as of 11:20 on Dec 16, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

reignonyourparade posted:

drat, as far as a unified timeline is concerned there's really no way to justify John Jay not participating this time around is there?

In addition to what has already been said, Jay's health was in decline by this point in history and he really wanted to retire from public life. Given his exhaustion and a likely desire not to end his Presidency as a humiliated has-been, like Adams, Jay's retirement is understandable. Depending on how these next few elections play out, I could see a single-term, anti-incumbent trend emerging.

The community's failure to elect Washington is probably the harder event to explain. The only explanation I can think of is Washington coming down with his near-fatal case of pneumonia a year ahead of schedule and the delegates electing Adams to avoid crisis right out of the gate. After that, it's just a matter of Adams being inoffensive enough to make Washington believe he is no longer needed.

Adams opposes slavery, but he isn't as much of a hardliner on it as his son is.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 12:13 on Dec 16, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Because I will be preparing for a Christmas party, the next election posting will probably be delayed to noon tomorrow.

In the meanwhile, please check out American Sphinx by Joseph Ellis and Madison's Hand by Mary Sarah Bilder. American Sphinx is one of the definitive biographies on Jefferson. Ellis goes into intimate detail on Jefferson's day-to-day life without falling prey to Jefferson's almost mythic status. Madison's Hand is an analysis of Madison's notes on the Constitutional Convention. It is a fascinating look into the Convention's inner workings and Madison's attempts to rectify his early Federalist-leaning views with his later position in the Democratic-Republican Party. I have borrowed both for reading over the holiday season and am thrilled to finally get the opportunity to read them.

As always, if you have a book or resource that is relevant to the American Presidency/ elections as a whole, let me know and I will add it to the opening post.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Thank you all for voting. In a landslide, Thomas Jefferson has been elected President. Jefferson promises to end the last decade of Federalist tyranny.

RESULTS BREAKDOWN

Most popular tickets:

1. Thomas Jefferson / George Clinton (Democratic-Republican) – 57 votes (69.5%)
2. Charles Cotesworth Pinckney / Rufus King (Federalist) – 25 votes (30.5%)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION OF 1808

:siren: Click here to vote in the Election of 1808! :siren:

Background:

The election of 1808 takes place in the aftermath of a largely successful Jefferson administration. Though the Democratic-Republicans have diffused most of the major issues facing the country, a small faction remains dissatisfied. These individuals, known as the “Old Republicans” or “tertium quids,” accuse Jefferson and Madison of betraying their promises to strengthen state governments and avoid abusing the Constitution. This faction has coalesced around James Monroe, whose opposition to Jefferson has become well-known within the party.

Other major issues this election are the Bank of the United States, whose charter will expire in 1811, America's foreign relations, the size of the military, and the Trial of Aaron Burr.

The Candidates:

DEMOCRATIC-REPUBLICAN PARTY CANDIDATES:

Presidential Nominee James Madison
  • Notable Positions: Secretary of State, Representative of Virginia, Writer of the Federalist Papers, Delegate at the Constitutional Convention, Primary Author of the Constitution, Delegate to the Congress of the Confederation from Virginia
  • Party Affiliation: Democratic-Republican Party
  • Biography: A member of the Virginia aristocracy, James Madison first became prominent during the Constitutional Convention. There, he helped write and build consensus on a new Constitution. In 1799, Madison returned to politics as a member of the Virginia legislature, where he railed against the Federalist Party and supported nullification to counteract their influence. As a result of his spirited action and his personal relationship with Jefferson, Madison was appointed Secretary of State. In this position he oversaw the Louisiana Purchase, the Lewis and Clark expeditions, and the Barbary Wars.
  • Platform:Though he began his career as a strong defender of the national government, but has become a moderate Democratic-Republican due to Jefferson’s influence. Though he supports in decentralized authority in principle, Madison is afraid that the states may become more tyrannous that the national government if they are not kept in check. Madison is unenthusiastic about Hamilton’s Bank of the United States and fears that other countries, like Great Britain, may try to use it to subvert the United States government. Madison supports France and believes that a “Second War of Independence” against Britain may be necessary to secure the Republic’s independence. Madison is one of Virginia’s largest slave owners.

Vice Presidential Nominee George Clinton
  • Notable Positions: Vice President of the United States, Governor of New York
  • Biography: A Revolutionary War hero and Governor of New York, Clinton is a powerful force in New York politics. Before independence, he was known for protecting the Sons of Liberty, an act which regularly earned him imprisonment by the British. During the war, he served as New York’s wartime governor and was responsible for coordinating the state’s war effort. His prior opposition to the Constitution has made Clinton a divisive figure outside the state. Hamilton has used his network of printers to spread rumors that Clinton is still opposed to the Constitution and will undo it if given power.
  • Platform: A former Anti-Federalist deeply committed to the small freehold farmers of New York’s countryside, George Clinton is known as the “yeoman politician.” He opposes Hamilton’s economic reforms, as he believes they will give the national government excessive authority over the state and individual. He is fanatically opposed to the British. Clinton would like to see the establishment of a standing army to protect existing territory and to seize British lands. He opposes slavery on a personal basis, but sees the issue as a low priority. Of high importance to Clinton is the destruction of the Bank of the United States, which he sees as little more than a Federalist monstrosity. He supports renewing American ties with France and supporting its continental ambitions.

Vice Presidential Nominee John Langdon
  • Notable Positions: President pro tempore of the United States Senate, United States Senator from New Hampshire, Governor of New Hampshire
  • Biography: Langdon is the son of a wealthy farmer but has made a fortune as a merchant. Langdon vigorously supported the Revolution and served the Patriot cause in numerous capacities. Though he initially aligned with the Federalists, Langdon has embraced Jefferson and his belief in state authority.
  • Platform: Langdon has been unwillingly recruited by the tertium quids to oppose Madison due to his strong anti-nationalist credentials. Though initially a supporter of Hamilton’s economic reforms, Langdon became increasingly disenchanted with the Federalist Party. He believes the Bank of the United States to be tyrannous and supports its abolition. He has turned down appointments for the Secretaryship of the Navy over his distaste for warfare. Langdon supports a strengthening of state governments.

FEDERALIST PARTY CANDIDATES:

Presidential Nominee: Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
  • Notable Positions: Minister of Finance, Ambassador to France, Delegate to the Constitutional Convention
  • Party Affiliation: Federalist Party
  • Biography: Charles Pinckney is a nationally-respected leader who participated in the Revolutionary War and the Constitutional Convention. The eldest son of a prominent South Carolina planter, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney was tutored in London and studied law at Christ Church College in Oxford. Despite his loyalist upbringing and a long career serving colonial government, Pinckney joined the Patriot cause. Between 1789 and 1795 he declined presidential appointments to the U.S. Army, Supreme Court, Department of War, and Department of State. Instead, he accepted a position as Ambassador to France, where he helped defuse the XYZ Affair. Pinckney is known for being extremely scrupulous, refusing to pay bribes to facilitate negotiations.
  • Platform: With Adams’s retirement and Hamilton’s death, Pinckney is viewed as the last great candidate of the Federalist Party. Known as a “High Federalist,” Pinckney supports siding with Britain and declaring outright war against France. He believes in the need for a stronger, secularized national government that can preserve the ideals of the Revolution. He supports the Alien and Sedition Acts and believes legislators should serve without pay. Pinckney is a large slaveowner and opposed the immediate abolition of the slave trade at the Constitutional Convention. He believes slavery to be integral to the economy of the South. Pinckney is an avid supporter of the Bank of the United States and has argued that abolishing it will destroy the value of America’s credit.

Vice Presidential Nominee Rufus King
  • Notable Positions: United States Senator from New York, Diplomat to the United Kingdom, New York State Assemblyman, Delegate at the Constitutional Convention
  • Party Affiliation: Federalist Party
  • Biography: Rufus King is known as that other Federalist. The son of a Massachusetts farmer-merchant-lumberman-sea captain, King had a pleasant childhood until an angry mob ransacked his childhood home in a fit of revolutionary passion. The incident proved to be a formative experience for King, who went on to the Constitutional Convention to condemn Jeffersonian populism and (eventually) the destruction of the Articles of Confederation. Working closely with Alexander Hamilton, King helped prepare a final draft of the United States Constitution and used his oratory to ensure its ratification. Though King has struggled in politics, he does have the respect of prominent people within both major parties. He is also a friend of Francisco de Miranda, a little-known revolutionary and South American dissident.
  • Platform: Having been personally affected by mob violence, King believes in a strong central government that will be vigilant against threats, both inside and out. The national government must have the power to act against mob violence, as it did during the Whiskey Rebellion. It must also be strong enough to raise and control a large national army, so as to avoid conquest or a military coup. King believes that the United States should not align itself with European powers, but seek to end their domination of North and South America. He views Hamilton’s economic reforms as essential to the country’s future. King supports halting the expansion of slavery but is willing “to suffer the continuance of slaves until they can be gradually emancipated in states already overrun with them.” King has demanded the Bank of the United States be maintained and has argued that its destruction will have a corrosive effect on the economy.

DEMOCRATIC-REPUBLICAN TERTIUM QUID CANDIDATES

Presidential Nominee: James Monroe
  • Notable Positions: Governor of Virginia, Ambassador to France, United States Senator from Virginia, Delegate to the Congress of the Confederation from Virginia
  • Biography: James Monroe is the wealthy orphan son of a wealthy Virginia planter. During the Revolution, he fought at Trention, Monmouth, Brandywine, and Germantown ad suffered several near-fatal wounds. After the war, he studied law and met Thomas Jefferson, who adopted Monroe as a protégé. Always independent-minded, however, Monroe’s relationship with Jefferson and Madison has become strained over the issue of foreign relations. Despite Monroe’s pleas, Jefferson has refused to even recognize Monroe’s diplomatic efforts.
  • Platform: James Monroe has aligned himself with the tertium quids, a loose coalition of Democratic-Republicans who believe that Jefferson and Madison have subverted the party’s principles of decentralization, rejection of public debts, and a general hatred of warfare. Monroe believes that the United States should not try to antagonize the British and was personally hurt when Jefferson repudiated the Jay Treaty. He does not believe the country can withstand another war with the British or French. Monroe supports dramatically shrinking the federal government so as to empower local and state governments. He despises the Bank of the United States. Monroe is a slaveowner, but considers the institution to be evil. He has proposed a system of gradual abolition, wherein former slaves will be deported to Africa.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Dec 23, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

SPECIAL NOTE ON THE ELECTION OF 1808: As you may have noticed, there are several oddities about the tickets this election. In determining the winners, I will count the Presidential and Vice Presidential votes separately. That means that if "James Madison / N/A" comes in first and "Charles Cotesworth Pinckney / Rufus King" comes in second, the winner will be "James Madison / Rufus King." Please feel free to vote strategically to get the ticket you want.

I apologize for the delay. Happy Holidays.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The hell with it, James Monroe come on down!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

where my federalists at

ride till i die

(pinckney/king)

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Goddamn these elections suck.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this is probably the period where america came closest to being a one-party state so i guess it makes sense

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

troubled teen posted:

Goddamn these elections suck.

I blame Aaron Burr.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Clinton gets my vote for VP. He ain’t great, but that coward Langdon would let the British walk sail right over us.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

this is probably the period where america came closest to being a one-party state so i guess it makes sense

no that would be the era of good feelings when we actually were a one party state

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oh i thought we were already there sorry

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
literally everyone is a slaver or slavery apologist so

oystertoadfish posted:

where my federalists at

ride till i die

(pinckney/king)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
My daddy was a federalist and Ill die a federalist too!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
What oystertoadfish said.

QuoProQuid posted:

I blame Aaron Burr.

You are the worst, Burr.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

My daddy was a federalist and Ill die a federalist too!

plus, nothing beats Pickney's ensemble

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
James Monroe seems to be the least odious man of them all, so he's got my vote.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hey QPQ, I think you need to have words with the typesetters. They've inserted an image of Thomas Pinckney alongside his father CC, whose own picture has found its way to George Clinton's bio. Of course I am sure that my fellow voters, learned and wise as they are, would never be swayed by a candidate's mere physical appearance.

(This thread is great by the way, keep it up.)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rufus King believed that the cold weather helped New Englanders live longer than the slovenly people of South Carolina, which is why he was OK with the House of Representatives being based on population.

Might also explain his eagerness to serve as VP in the Pinckney administration....

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

oystertoadfish posted:

where my federalists at

ride till i die

(pinckney/king)

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Is this our first chance to vote for a Third Party candidate? Cause I think I feel like wasting my vote on Monroe

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Takanago posted:

Is this our first chance to vote for a Third Party candidate? Cause I think I feel like wasting my vote on Monroe

Monroe is an enemy of progress and centralization.

Vote Federalist for a strong central democracy.

Any man who would strike down the Bank of the United States is unable to understand the realities of the American economy.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I dunno, I heard from some people that Centralized Banking is basically slavery. And since the people who love the bank also love slaves, that doesn't seem too far-fetched to me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

counterpoint: white americans deserve to be enslaved

• Locked thread