Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

Insonix posted:

I just saw the movie. I'm willing to answer any question, if it's made using spoiler marks.

I really liked it! For starters it's way better than the prequels.

Does Han die? Were the callsheets/MSW right all along? Does Luke only appear in the last scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Insonix posted:

I just saw the movie. I'm willing to answer any question, if it's made using spoiler marks.

So the New Order is totally ISIS right?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Insonix posted:

How does the fighter battle compare to ANH & ROTJ? Are there only X-wings on the resistance side in the whole movie? Where da y-wings at

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
JJ Abrams is a hack.

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

JJ Abrams is a hack.

JJ Arbams: all style, no substance. Safe as gently caress.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Style is substance.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
So what do we have here

Star Trek reboot territory?

Batman Begins territory?

Man of Steel territory?

Mad Max: Fury Road Territory?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I think those are all in the territory of "good movies."

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
So how badly does Finn get his rear end beat by Kylo?? Are we talking lost limbs here? Was his single glove at the premiere hinting at anything?

Insonix
Dec 5, 2007

DON'T BET ON ME.
Oh sorry, spoiler thread!

So yeah Han Dies, X wings only on fights, Luke only appears at the very last moment, Snork smoke (something like that) kinda looks like a giant alient from X-COM.

Overall it felt like a remake of A New Hope, which is fine by me. Effects were great, except when the CGI version of It's a trap! fish dude appeared.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Insonix posted:

Oh sorry, spoiler thread!

So yeah Han Dies, X wings only on fights, Luke only appears at the very last moment, Snork smoke (something like that) kinda looks like a giant alient from X-COM.

Overall it felt like a remake of A New Hope, which is fine by me. Effects were great, except when the CGI version of It's a trap! fish dude appeared.
What parts of the film offended you?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is notable space Mexican Nien Nunb pretty good in it?!

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

OrganizedEntropy posted:

So how badly does Finn get his rear end beat by Kylo?? Are we talking lost limbs here? Was his single glove at the premiere hinting at anything?

And how do they explain away the Millennium Falcon conveniently being on Jakku? Was it seriously stolen and then dumped there?

Insonix
Dec 5, 2007

DON'T BET ON ME.

Grouchio posted:

What parts of the film offended you?

Every single part that showed Kylo Ren without his mask (In my opinion the weakest element of the movie)
Why was the hologram of the new "emperor" so large?
I liked that it felt like A New Hope remade, but a new Death Star?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So why did Han and Leia, especially Leia being the leader of the Resistance after all, just let their evil son go around the galaxy with impunity and assemble a new empire ready to enslave the galaxy? Might have wanted to nip that in the bud earlier.

Why didn't the story just have them not know who Kylo was, so that it was a reveal to both the audience and them?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Do we get any idea of the size of the First Order? Like how much do they get hosed by their base getting destroyed?

Any info about what the Knights of Ren are about? Are the other dudes Force sensitive? Is Snoke still following the Rule of Two or "gently caress it, strength in numbers"?

Somehow I think none of that gets answered yet but doesn't hurt to ask!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Good thing they signed Harrison ford on for this so that Han can literally do nothing and have no point other than to show up and get killed for some kind of shallow 'emotional impact'

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

AlternateAccount posted:

Good thing they signed Harrison ford on for this so that Han can literally do nothing and have no point other than to show up and get killed for some kind of shallow 'emotional impact'

Harrison Ford has shown in the last 15 years that anything more in regards of acting is just too much to ask for.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

AlternateAccount posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bwep_FFRwY

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

So Finn gets defeated because he's just a trained soldier and not the least bit Force sensitive?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So Finn gets defeated because he's just a trained soldier and not the least bit Force sensitive?

Sure looks that way; everything i've read says that he gets beat pretty easily by Kylo, Rey sees this, becomes overwhelmed with the force, and starts expertly fighting Kylo Ren after the lightsaber flies into her hand.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gonz posted:

Sure looks that way; everything i've read says that he gets beat pretty easily by Kylo, Rey sees this, becomes overwhelmed with the force, and starts expertly fighting Kylo Ren after the lightsaber flies into her hand.

Ah dammit. John Boyega: Jedi was the singular thing I was hyped for.

Does he lose a hand?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Does he lose a hand?

I don't think so.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Ah dammit. John Boyega: Jedi was the singular thing I was hyped for.

Does he lose a hand?

Nope

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Thanks for the answers. I have one last question: Any prequel nods?

parara
Apr 9, 2010
None that stood out to me apart from some sequences on Jakku. It's very much an OT callback affair.

Mr Gnang
Jan 28, 2009
Some screenshots of major moments:

<Link Removed>
Maybe this might not be so kosher in this forum as the film has not released.
The images are not too hard to find.

Spoliers galore!

Mr Gnang fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 16, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"I looked at the trap, Ray."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Holy moley.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mr Gnang posted:

Some screenshots of major moments:

<Link Removed>
Maybe this might not be so kosher in this forum as the film has not released.
The images are not too hard to find.

Spoliers galore!

It's the spoiler thread. Anything goes.

Mr Gnang
Jan 28, 2009
Read em and weep!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/3x2hwr/leaked_photo_of_a_certain_characters_death/

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Luke looks like the most pimp-assed motherfucker there ever was.

Sheeeeeeeeyyyyyiiiiit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gonz posted:

Luke looks like the most pimp-assed motherfucker there ever was.

Sheeeeeeeeyyyyyiiiiit.

I showed that to my brother and he said it looks like a promo image for Zoolander 2.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

i want Yoda to be like Toad in the Super Mario games where there's one whos actually named Toad but also the entire species is named Toad

I want to meet Yodaette and all the Yoda people who all have last names starting with Y

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Han :smith:

Luke :unsmith:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I showed that to my brother and he said it looks like a promo image for Zoolander 2.

Blue Steel Harvest

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Must we use spoiler tags even though the threat title already warns us?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

First Order has stormtroopers equipped with lightsaber-resistant clubs. Finn almost gets killed by one. He puts up a good but one-sided show against Kylo.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg_0Smmvwbw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

so is Kylo Han's kid or what?

• Locked thread