Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

susan posted:

Logistics questions for y'all that Google ain't helping with:

Would a Corvette-size ship (like, say, a Vigil) be able to land on a planet's surface? And with a crew of 200, what would be the pertinent NPCs be on board that an elite away team might regularly interact with during a game session (Captain, Requisition Officer, cook, etc)? Just trying to plan for some eventual PC plans that will come up in game. Also, is it wrong to think that an Imperial scout ship would be sent out with a few Lambda shuttles, even if it technically doesn't have a landing bay?

Corellian corvettes like the Tantive can land, so I don't see why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Generally, if a ship has ship for a shuttle bay, its too big it land, and if it does have a shuttle bay, it can land.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

nothing to seehere posted:

Generally, if a ship has ship for a shuttle bay, its too big it land, and if it does have a shuttle bay, it can land.

Although, it varies on the ship too. You can just say your ship is modified to aid in ground combat operations since the Victory Star Destroyer can do that and who doesn't want that fire power right close?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

The fact that Palpatine seems to love his job and is simply outsmarting the Jedi at every turn also makes it harder to see the whole situation as an epic tragedy.

Maybe it's not actually an epic tragedy to have a bunch of dogmatic slavery-enablers betrayed and killed by a serial betrayer-killer.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

homullus posted:

Maybe it's not actually an epic tragedy to have a bunch of dogmatic slavery-enablers betrayed and killed by a serial betrayer-killer.

How about it is a tragedy like Macbeth and Palpatine has no reservations in grabbing that dagger he sees floating in front of him to become Emperor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ramba Ral posted:

How about it is a tragedy like Macbeth and Palpatine has no reservations in grabbing that dagger he sees floating in front of him to become Emperor.
His downfall even involves a sort of silly scene involving rebels camouflaging themselves in a forest.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

homullus posted:

Considering how Tatooine is explicitely not really a part of the Republic (To the point it doesn't even accept its currency and has actual crime lords as governement), that whole "Jedi enabled slavery!!!" thing annoys me. I mean, there are actual flaws in their portrayal and the prequel at whole, but the amount of headcannon fans indulge in to make them even worse is rather ridiculous.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The Machete Order really is pretty good, wtf.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Iceclaw posted:

Considering how Tatooine is explicitely not really a part of the Republic (To the point it doesn't even accept its currency and has actual crime lords as governement), that whole "Jedi enabled slavery!!!" thing annoys me. I mean, there are actual flaws in their portrayal and the prequel at whole, but the amount of headcannon fans indulge in to make them even worse is rather ridiculous.

Headcanon? Luke (one of the post-Republic Jedi) goes to Tatooine and helps free a number of slaves, slaughtering a bunch of a crime lord's minions. The only reason he doesn't off the crime lord himself is that one of the slaves has done it for him.

Qui-Gon (one of the Republic Jedi) goes to Tatooine and sorta shrugs and says "welp!"

LordNat
May 16, 2009

homullus posted:

Headcanon? Luke (one of the post-Republic Jedi) goes to Tatooine and helps free a number of slaves, slaughtering a bunch of a crime lord's minions. The only reason he doesn't off the crime lord himself is that one of the slaves has done it for him.

Qui-Gon (one of the Republic Jedi) goes to Tatooine and sorta shrugs and says "welp!"

The Republic Jedi always seemed more like cops to me. If it was out of their jurisdiction they mostly ignored it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

susan posted:

Logistics questions for y'all that Google ain't helping with:

Would a Corvette-size ship (like, say, a Vigil) be able to land on a planet's surface? And with a crew of 200, what would be the pertinent NPCs be on board that an elite away team might regularly interact with during a game session (Captain, Requisition Officer, cook, etc)? Just trying to plan for some eventual PC plans that will come up in game. Also, is it wrong to think that an Imperial scout ship would be sent out with a few Lambda shuttles, even if it technically doesn't have a landing bay?

At 225 meters the thing is the size of a WW2 Battleship but at 200 crew it has less than a tenth of the crew. The ship must be mostly engines and is roughly aerodynamic. I don't see why it wouldn't be able to land.

Looks like you've already got the important crew down. 3 NPCs is already a lot but you could add an XO (second in command) and a Storm Trooper/Marine CO if there are any other infantry types. Gunnery sergeants are always amusing, just model him after the one in We Were Soldiers if you want him to be competent. A ship that large should have a shuttle or two, so there could be some pilots, maybe even a handful of disposable Tie Fighters, the empire hands those out like candy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

homullus posted:

homullus posted:

Your "more compelling version" misses one point of the movies, which is that armed guardians of peace and justice operating independently are inherently problematic. So yes, if you scrap the things the creator of the Jedi thought they were, it is probably better for your headcanon. Luckily, with RPGs, you totally can run your game however you and your players want it to go. I think some of the Old Republic people behind the video games imagine Jedi the same way you do (sort of itinerant judges and problem-solvers).

You criticize the Jedi for doing stuff and you criticize Jedi for not doing stuff. Sounds like you're just looking for reasons to be mad at Jedi.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The Jedi were technically members of the republic in the prequels. If qui-gon had started slaughtering the planetary leaders of a neutral non-enemy planet, that would be pretty explicitly a bad loving thing. Unlike with invading trade federation worlds, there was no open war with tattooine, so if he had started freeing slaves he probably would have either sparked open war with the entire butt cartel through all of hutt space, making it a war with two enemies, or would have been branded a criminal and hunted down by his own government.

Luke is part of a fallen order that has no ties to any government or higher organization besides the rebel alliance, and one of the rebel alliance /leaders/ has been taken a slave. This is after said hutt explicitly hunted down a member of the rebel alliance and took him prisoner, working in consort with an enemy to the rebel alliance. This was Jabba firing the first shot.

Edit: haha butt cartel thank you autocorrect.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 15, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LLSix posted:

You criticize the Jedi for doing stuff and you criticize Jedi for not doing stuff. Sounds like you're just looking for reasons to be mad at Jedi.

Nah, it's not like that. Jedi are interesting! I am criticizing the idea that the Jedi "should" have been something different in any of the movies. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes was not a question many prequel-watchers were expecting, I think.

I think "jurisdiction" is an interesting take on Qui-Gon's non-action, but is there any evidence of that in the movies? An Imperial Star Destroyer and the Rebel blockade runner were both close enough to Tatooine for the droids to land there in Episode IV. Stormtroopers are on the planet. Is Tatooine an island in international waters, or is it just rural Nebraska?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

homullus posted:

Nah, it's not like that. Jedi are interesting! I am criticizing the idea that the Jedi "should" have been something different in any of the movies. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes was not a question many prequel-watchers were expecting, I think.

I think "jurisdiction" is an interesting take on Qui-Gon's non-action, but is there any evidence of that in the movies? An Imperial Star Destroyer and the Rebel blockade runner were both close enough to Tatooine for the droids to land there in Episode IV. Stormtroopers are on the planet. Is Tatooine an island in international waters, or is it just rural Nebraska?

The empire did expand into the outer-rim a decent amount after the Clone Wars if I remember right. They likely have outposts on worlds like Tatooine without it being under full Empire control.
Also it might be more of that being part of the Republic was a option and membership in the empire was not.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Luke was hardly there to free Tattooine from Hutt Oppression. He was there to rescue Han. Jabba's death was a happy extra in the resulting crossfire (I wonder if any of those other slave girls or other innocents were in the sail barge when Luke turned the deck gun on the ship? I doubt Leia was the only slave brought along)

Jabba's death probably isn't going to improve much on Tattooine. There will be a few rounds of nasty gang warfare as other Hutts and criminal lords try to muscle in on the power vacuum left by Jabba's death and then its back to business as normal on the world.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tatooine had an Imperial presence. There was a governor and a stormtrooper garrison in Bestine, the planetary capital, but the Hutts were the ones who really ran things.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

homullus posted:

According to the EU everyone hates, the imperials technically spread to Tattooine between the prequels and original trilogy. They nominally owned the planet, but technically the hutts still ran it through a combination of bribes and intimidation. Yes, there was an imperial governor but his office was filled with high quality spice and rugs that are worth way more than any imperial governor should have, and he just happened to give those benefactors more favors and looked the other way for their crimes.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Even without bringing the EU in, just watching the movies is enough. It's not part of the democratic, more or less respectful of its frontiers Republic, yet it's part of the evil, expansionnist Empire. Geez, what could have happened in the meantime? :allears:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Iceclaw posted:

Even without bringing the EU in, just watching the movies is enough. It's not part of the democratic, more or less respectful of its frontiers Republic, yet it's part of the evil, expansionnist Empire. Geez, what could have happened in the meantime? :allears:

Most people don't know!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

homullus posted:

If you took every single Jedi alive at the time of the Republic without backing from the Republic to defeat slavery on Tatooine, they would all die.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If you took every single Jedi alive at the time of the Republic without backing from the Republic to defeat slavery on Tatooine, they would all die.

No, but really, if you take away all EU stuff and go from the movies alone, why is this true? Anakin kills a whole village of warriors by himself.

And even with EU stuff, why doesn't Qui-Gon just take Anakin? Luke just walks into Jabba's palace and chokes a dude and mind-controls somebody else, then kills the rancor and a sail barge full of presumably-crime-guys. Qui-Gon could punch Watto if he got uppity and just grab the kid and go. Do you think Luke would leave a kid to be a slave?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Per the prequels, Jedi in the Late Republic were douchebuddhists. I mean, look at how Obi-Wan raises his foster son. "So you suffered years of abuse as a child and now you have normal teenage feelings on top of that. Have you tried being perfectly serene, having no real attachments, and always obeying your elders? Works for me."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Even taking away the issue of jurisdiction, Qui Gon was not there to free the slaves, he was there in the middle of a very important mission. He already went off track a bit just to get the boy, going off track further to essentially lead a slave revolt is a bit further out of the mission perimeters, his time there was time sensitive even aside from the fact that they wouldn't even be there except for damaged parts on the ship.

Now if you imagine Jedi as D&D Paladins, who are not allowed to overlook evil, then there is an issue. But that was always a bad reading of Jedi, not to mention Paladins, as they would never get anything done, what with having to constantly go off track from whatever they were doing to right wrongs.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

homullus posted:

No, but really, if you take away all EU stuff and go from the movies alone, why is this true? Anakin kills a whole village of warriors by himself.

And even with EU stuff, why doesn't Qui-Gon just take Anakin? Luke just walks into Jabba's palace and chokes a dude and mind-controls somebody else, then kills the rancor and a sail barge full of presumably-crime-guys. Qui-Gon could punch Watto if he got uppity and just grab the kid and go. Do you think Luke would leave a kid to be a slave?

I literally just posted why. It's because breaking the law in a foreign nation that is one of the three strongest powers in the universe is a bad idea.

The hutts are not all friends but if you gently caress with their dominion you get an army on your rear end. With a civil war already under way, starting a fight with the second largest group in the galaxy is loving dumb. Jedi are peaceful guardians, they are not Batman's who stab people who they are not at open war with, because they find something morally wrong.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So, uh, how about that there Star Wars RPG? Its pretty fun, isn't it?

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
@swrpgadventures adventure ideas in 140 characters or less!

Our heroes have successfully infiltrated a famous academy but to maintain their cover they have to debate the ranking Imperial scholar on the ethics of the Jedi order

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

Tons of it.

kingcom posted:

Anyway I'm playing in a star wars saga edition game as well as running an EotE game at the moment and man it makes me appreciate how much better the EotE rules are.

One of the biggest disappointments with my gaming group is that they prefer Saga edition to the Fantasy Flight Star Wars.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 16, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mustache Ride posted:

Maybe star wars was a mistake?

Anyway I'm playing in a star wars saga edition game as well as running an EotE game at the moment and man it makes me appreciate how much better the EotE rules are.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

kingcom posted:

Maybe star wars was a mistake?

Wasn't SAGA a go between 3.5 and 4th edition of d&d? All I remember is that you had to multiclass as Jedi to be good or something.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Our heroes have successfully infiltrated a famous academy but to maintain their cover they have to debate the ranking Imperial scholar on the ethics of the Jedi order

1. During the Old Republic days, the party is a group of Communist Abolitionists looking to overthrow the Republic and set up a Communist paradise.

2. Saints Row and Star Wars.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

karmicknight posted:

One of the biggest disappointments with my gaming group is that they prefer Saga edition to the Fantasy Flight Star Wars.

My saga GM doesnt like FFG star wars either so if i want to be a player in a star wars game I have to play saga. :negative:

Ramba Ral posted:

Wasn't SAGA a go between 3.5 and 4th edition of d&d? All I remember is that you had to multiclass as Jedi to be good or something.

Kinda but literally nothing positive about 4th is really in the game yet or its in but has giant problems. Like second wind being a once per day thing that heals bugger all and doesnt scale in the slightest (I have 74 hp and I heal 18 with a second wind for example at level 8). You needing to multiclass like crazy to be effective (unless you just go all in jedi) because everyone is essentially worrying about feat chains/combos like 3.5 fighters. Skills not scaling at the same rate as attacks and defences. Defences are 10 + level + stat + class bonus vs attacks which are BAB + stat + weapon focus and skills which are +5 if trained + 5 if skill focus + stat + 1/2 level. Also not all classes have full BAB but defences always have at least +1 level so all the math is a clusterfuck. Also force powers use a skill to make their attack rolls so they can easily be in situations where you are rolling 15+1d20 vs 15 against a target of equal level.

Also lightsabers are hilarious bad weapons unless you nail your giant fight feat chain to make them useful.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 16, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

I literally just posted why. It's because breaking the law in a foreign nation that is one of the three strongest powers in the universe is a bad idea.

The hutts are not all friends but if you gently caress with their dominion you get an army on your rear end. With a civil war already under way, starting a fight with the second largest group in the galaxy is loving dumb. Jedi are peaceful guardians, they are not Batman's who stab people who they are not at open war with, because they find something morally wrong.

All this "law in a foreign nation" is totally EU stuff, though, yes? Am I not remembering a legal briefing in The Phantom Menace, where Qui-Gon is told to Obey All Hutt Laws even if they are literally slavery?

Even with EU stuff, Anakin literally does stab people he is not at open war with, on Tatooine, with no mention of the Hutts. Obi-Wan slices a dude's arm off on Tatooine with no mention of the Hutts -- and since the cantina is kind of a crimey drinkplace, it would be even more Hutt jurisdiction. Luke kills a bunch of people on Tatooine when he rescues his sister, who has been enslaved; a Hutt makes an appearance in this scene and is murdered. No repercussions for Rebellion, Republic, or Empire.

What I am saying is that the movies alone definitely do not support Qui-Gon's inaction, and even with the EU bundled into the equation "butbut Hutt Space jurisdiction" is not very strong given the amount of Jedi- and Rebellion-induced violence that happens on Tatooine in the films. There is a huge spectrum between "not doing anything to help people" and "leading a slave revolt on Tatooine" and I am sure a given Star Wars RPG group could come up with five ways to help free a slave kid that doesn't involve leaving his mom behind or dragging the Republic or Rebellion into war with the Hutts.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

The party is framed for the murder of Senator Jar Jar Binks, prove your innocence and unravel the conspiracy surrounding it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The party is framed for the murder of Senator Jar Jar Binks prove your innocence and unravel the conspiracy surrounding it.
The party is framed for the murder of Senator Jar Jar Binks, roll resilience to survive the weeks-long drunken partying as this is generally heralded as an unqualified good thing.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

homullus posted:

All this "law in a foreign nation" is totally EU stuff, though, yes? Am I not remembering a legal briefing in The Phantom Menace, where Qui-Gon is told to Obey All Hutt Laws even if they are literally slavery?

Even with EU stuff, Anakin literally does stab people he is not at open war with, on Tatooine, with no mention of the Hutts. Obi-Wan slices a dude's arm off on Tatooine with no mention of the Hutts -- and since the cantina is kind of a crimey drinkplace, it would be even more Hutt jurisdiction. Luke kills a bunch of people on Tatooine when he rescues his sister, who has been enslaved; a Hutt makes an appearance in this scene and is murdered. No repercussions for Rebellion, Republic, or Empire.

What I am saying is that the movies alone definitely do not support Qui-Gon's inaction, and even with the EU bundled into the equation "butbut Hutt Space jurisdiction" is not very strong given the amount of Jedi- and Rebellion-induced violence that happens on Tatooine in the films. There is a huge spectrum between "not doing anything to help people" and "leading a slave revolt on Tatooine" and I am sure a given Star Wars RPG group could come up with five ways to help free a slave kid that doesn't involve leaving his mom behind or dragging the Republic or Rebellion into war with the Hutts.

You should read the posts on this page again because every single point is adressed, really.
Qui-Gon was on a mission. More to the point, he points out in the goddamm movie that it's part of Hutt Space, slavery is legal here while not in the Republic, and is told his money is no good. That's kind of a rather unsubtle hint that he is not on domestic grounds, so maybe crusading in another territory would cause some kind of diplomatic incidents.
Anakin and Luke's cases are not even applicable. Anakin murders what is considered to be savages raiders by the locals. And even so, it's not exactly depicted as anything he should be proud of.
Luke is freeing Han, and rescuing Leia. He also isn't part of an established order and state with borders with Hutt space.

And considering Han can shoot Greedo without anyone batting an eye, it's also pretty easy to infer from the context that standard bad guy bar applies : if you, a random nobody, get into trouble, sucks to be you.

And I'd be glad to ear what would be a rpg group's solution that takes in account both the time constraint, force immunity of Wattoo, lack of money, presence of a small bomb in all of the slaves, and legality of slavery in Tatooine.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 16, 2015

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Everblight posted:

The party is framed for the murder of Senator Jar Jar Binks, roll resilience to survive the weeks-long drunken partying as this is generally heralded as an unqualified good thing.

My group is responsible for putting Senator Binks in "Charge" of the Rebel Alliance.
Hopefully only as a political figurehead.....

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It appears even very large ships can land although it may be a bit of a trial. You see venators on the ground at the end of clone wars. In Battlefront you even see an SSD that appears to be launching on the sullust map, and certainly Star Destroyers and Mon Cal cruisers sitting at less than 1000 feet trading fire.

Also who the gently caress built all the venator cruisers?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Grey Hunter posted:

My group is responsible for putting Senator Binks in "Charge" of the Rebel Alliance.
Hopefully only as a political figurehead.....

Is this your LP where you guys are rewriting the original trilogy?

Now I'm strangely compelled to catch up on it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

homullus posted:

I typed up a response to this. But then I realised I want nothing to do with CineD madness outside of CineD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

How about the answer is that George Lucas is a really bad writer?

That seems like the best explanation.