Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

My sarcasm has never received a greater reward.

Ave Azaria posted:

I watched all of season 1 as rapt as anything, but by its end I felt it was ultimately sort of an unfocused mishmash of Coens tropes. Season 2 was much better, had its own unique vibe, and aside from maybe Betsy's cancer, didn't have any subplots that didn't drive the main story forward. Season one spent a lot of time with Oliver Platt that could've been swapped out with anything else.

Season 2 has a more consistent tone and is much more confident in the story it's telling. Also, the final act doesn't rely on a huge writerly coincidence (Lester seeing Malvo in the bar in Vegas and then refusing to back down when Malvo repeatedly signals for him to shut the gently caress up) that IMO feels way too forced. Season 2 unfolds incredibly naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

centaurtainment posted:

My sarcasm has never received a greater reward.

Season 2 has a more consistent tone and is much more confident in the story it's telling. Also, the final act doesn't rely on a huge writerly coincidence (Lester seeing Malvo in the bar in Vegas and then refusing to back down when Malvo repeatedly signals for him to shut the gently caress up) that IMO feels way too forced. Season 2 unfolds incredibly naturally.

Dude nearly everything that happens in Season 2 either relies on huge writerly coincidences or previously intelligent individuals acting like braindead morons solely because the plot demands

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Toxxupation posted:

Dude nearly everything that happens in Season 2 either relies on huge writerly coincidences or previously intelligent individuals acting like braindead morons solely because the plot demands

Why don't you give some examples that might further discussion instead of simply negating mine?

EDIT: On second thought please don't, we all hear loud and clear that you didn't like season 2, and this is going to devolve into a weird "Season 1 plot holes vs. Season 2 plot holes" game that I'm not really interested in playing.

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 16, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Fantastic season imho albeit with a considerable number of hiccups re: the aforementioned narrative shortcuts and crutches. I think the overall quality of the cast came together to deliver a product beyond what was on paper though and this was probably the best thing I've seen on tv all year.

I'm a little cool on the ending however. Wrapping things up such that virtually every character, in so far as I can recall atm, was worked into a poetic fate got a little too contrived for me especially when it relied on things like hanzee's assault rifle having an intelligently crooked sight, alien interference and even oddball decisions like milligan's boss concluding that the best use of a proven, potent, charismatic enforcer was balancing budgets behind a desk to put out a weekly projection. Yes those two occupational skill sets overlap perfectly. Still though, this and any other critique(s) I can come up with barely have any weight next to the positives of this season so I'm fully on board for 3, whenever that comes around.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

hard counter posted:

oddball decisions like milligan's boss concluding that the best use of a proven, potent, charismatic enforcer was balancing budgets behind a desk to put out a weekly projection. Yes those two occupational skill sets overlap perfectly.

On that point at least, there is real-life precedence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I also think this was the guy genuinely trying to "reward" Mike by giving him the things that the guy himself valued - acceptance into the "office", a "safe" job with room for advancement and shifting into the social circles of the top echelon.

The fact that it's basically going to be a living death for Mike wouldn't have occurred to him, because he figures Mike is a guy who wants to succeed and doesn't understand that they have two extremely different definitions of what success is.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

hard counter posted:

oddball decisions like milligan's boss concluding that the best use of a proven, potent, charismatic enforcer was balancing budgets behind a desk to put out a weekly projection. Yes those two occupational skill sets overlap perfectly.

The voice over at the beginning of episode 9 admits KC sent a guy to assassinate Milligan, so they were obviously not satisfied with his performance in the field. But Milligan managed to impress them enough with his subsequent actions to avoid the noose, but I see it as KC putting him in a position where Milligan can do no harm.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I read it that way too. They're just burying him because his skillset is no longer needed--he's a warrior for the future, and the future won.

After the incredibly cathartic last episode, I did expect a fair amount more out of this one, and definitely agree that it felt ten minutes too short. Milligan's story wrapped up nicely, way more so than the Blumquists and Solversons. The symbolism of Hank's search for a visual language was admittedly lost on me. I appreciate what they did with Hanzee, but that last shot of him walking onto the field was a bit too ambiguous. Well, not ambiguous, just out of left field.

Even then, this season was so confident and self-assured that I can't bring myself to be disappointed. I'd like to think Hawley & Co. sat down in the writer's room planning this season, saying, "We have to have the last episode use War Pigs, but we have to earn it." And they did, with the way the split-screen rhythmically cut in and out.

The episode is all the better in reflection, and the season was one of the strongest I've seen. I'd definitely still rate it up there with BBs2, Wire s3, and True Detective s1.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 16, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Very satisfying.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So what would they have convicted Peggy of? Vehicular homicide? Tampering with evidence? Obstructing justice? I know Ed got the police captain's promise to talk about getting charges dropped in writing, but he only said he'd talk about it - and that isn't happening now.

Floyd did get a promise of no charges for Gerharts for acts committed prior to their helping the local authorities. Wouldn't Charlie have fallen under that umbrella?

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
Goddamn you guys latched on to the bullshit "confident" term didn't you?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
It's not wrong. This season threw UFOs and an extended passage from the Jabberwocky at you, and beyond that, constantly experimented with directorial techniques that haven't been used seriously in decades. That's to say nothing of the plotting, which as some reactions here show, was anything but traditional.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CowboyKid posted:

Goddamn you guys latched on to the bullshit "confident" term didn't you?

Yeah, Season 2 was fully actualized in it's story telling, not "confident."

That was a pretty good closer. I feel the most sorry for Ed. He got a pretty bum deal in the end. Not that he's totally innocent.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

perfect.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Definitely sad to think of Charlie rotting away in a prison unseen and forgotten for 10 or more years knowing that everyone he ever knew and loved died horrible, violent deaths.

I thought the milligan thing was appropriate but weird. They made him legitimate, but wasn't he wanted for questioning by several different police forces in connection with multiple gangland style massacres? He had investigative journalists tailing him to hotels and now he has his own office with his name on the door? That's a stretch to me, even if it is one of the most poetic endings for a character I've ever seen outside of Walter White.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

speshl guy posted:

Definitely sad to think of Charlie rotting away in a prison unseen and forgotten for 10 or more years knowing that everyone he ever knew and loved died horrible, violent deaths.

I thought the milligan thing was appropriate but weird. They made him legitimate, but wasn't he wanted for questioning by several different police forces in connection with multiple gangland style massacres? He had investigative journalists tailing him to hotels and now he has his own office with his name on the door? That's a stretch to me, even if it is one of the most poetic endings for a character I've ever seen outside of Walter White.

Who would the cops be asking him about? The Gerharts all died fighting cops. The Undertaker and his squad were probably buried in the same landfill as the Buffalo guy. I'd be surprised if Floyd even reported Otto's murder to the police.

I guess there was the shootout at the doctor's office parking lot. You'd think it'd be easier to pin a murder on the one Black guy in the state. The 70's were an odd time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wait people were serious saying they wanted more closure for all the characters? Other than 'they carried on living' or 'they died fairly soon after', what in the hell needs to be said?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

Wait people were serious saying they wanted more closure for all the characters? Other than 'they carried on living' or 'they died fairly soon after', what in the hell needs to be said?

Well, one of them had cancer, so "they died fairly soon after" would have been pretty good closure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well, one of them had cancer, so "they died fairly soon after" would have been pretty good closure.

Well she ain't around in season 1. I think that's wrapped her up nicely.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

centaurtainment posted:

Coen Brothers references:
-opening dream sequence (Raising Arizona)
-Hanzee shooting the guy whose car Ed and Peggy try to get into (No Country For Old Men)
-Milligan calling someone "friendo" (No Country For Old Men)
-Lou and Peggy's ride back to Minnesota (Fargo)

Did I miss any?
Pretty sure when Hanzee spots Lou's reflection in the window that's straight from No Country as well. Matter of fact I was thinking "this seems a bit familiar - oh there we go."

also

My Lovely Horse posted:

During the first few episodes I thought Bear was the younger version of the Fargo mob boss Lorne kills in season 1.
Slightly off, but who could have known!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Someone tell me Lance Tomacock is a real person because that name is hilarious.

feedmyleg posted:

As someone who skipped season 1 because he doesn't like BBT, I have to say I'm so bummed about going back to modern day because goddamn did I love the period nature of this season.

Please go back and watch Season 1 and put aside your trivial dislike of BBT and try to appreciate the masterpiece of a performance he puts on across 10 entire episodes.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This is the second time I heard someone avoiding season 1 because of their hate of BBT. What's the reason?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Who narrated this episode?

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Jehde posted:

This is the second time I heard someone avoiding season 1 because of their hate of BBT. What's the reason?

BBT ain't "pretty". Just sayin. Plus he looks and talks like a redneck most of the time. He's also got an abrasive personality off camera.

Dude's done some dope work tho, MMM-HMMMM.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Paladinus posted:

Who narrated this episode?

Patrick Wilson, Lou Solverson.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm the exact opposite, I like Billy Bob Thornton and have never seen him in a role I didn't like, so season 1 was an extra treat for me. On that note I really need to watch Bad Santa again soon for the holiday season.

e: Also to people avoiding season 1 because they "hate" Billy Bob Thornton, here's a secret: You're supposed to hate his character. Hating BBT will probably make the season even better for you.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 17, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Jehde posted:

He's an actor who's known for playing creepy weirdos and scumbags, and sometimes the way he comes across in interviews makes him seem like a weirdo in real life. :v: Maybe people have other reasons too, but I had the "creepy" perception for many years myself; however, I also was not really familiar with his work nor had I ever sought out much detailed information on him. And I still don't know much more than I did before I watched season 1, but I had a bit of an "oh, duh" moment when I saw an interview where he said he often accepts weird character roles because he finds it much more interesting than playing an average boring person. Makes sense, I guess :shobon:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, BBT was probably the best part of season 1. The "you're making a mistake" episode in particular.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I can't imagine hating an actor so much that I won't watch something solely because they are part of the cast.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can't imagine hating an actor so much that I won't watch something solely because they are part of the cast.
Donald Trump

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm this way with Will Forte. Something about his face makes me almost physically uncomfortable, although I get how irrational that sounds.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Last Man on Earth is great

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

KoRMaK posted:

Last Man on Earth is great

Boom.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Fun callback: I've been re-watching S1, and in Episode 6, when Lester's visited in the hospital by his brother, their conversation has a very similar end result to that between Peggy & Lou in the cruiser; Chas comes in to confront Lester about what's been happening, which results in Lester declaring "I'm the victim here" and soon down the line Chas rebuking him with "People are dead, Lester".

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

The fact that it's basically going to be a living death for Mike wouldn't have occurred to him, because he figures Mike is a guy who wants to succeed and doesn't understand that they have two extremely different definitions of what success is.

Individually each storyline that stretched itself a bit too much to wrap up into a neat package at the end only over-extended itself a smidgen. For example, Hanzee's killing spree being the ultimate culmination of a lifetime of racism from whites and the life he spent as a servant of violent men, which in turn led to that weak moment where he admitted that he's tired of this life, was apparently concluded by Hanzee taking the face and identity of a white dude who'd become a big time boss later. :what: You can easily rationalize this and any of the other awkward outcomes but the sum effect of all of them for me was a much cooler ending to an otherwise red hot season. The camel's back didn't break, don't get me wrong, but the camel did start to grumble a little.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think it's clear they didn't plan this season's story arc way back in Season 1, so I think what makes Hanzee's story so ridiculous is that, like you said, he changes his face to a white man's. It makes it feel cheap, like they really didn't think of the implications of that beyond "let's do a cool callback to Season 1 and blow everybody's mind!".

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I have never really cared for BBT but he was so good in season 1. So god drat good.

Season 1 owns and if you're missing out on it because you don't like BBT you're doing yourself a huge disservice.

The elevator scene alone is worth it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Fun callback: I've been re-watching S1, and in Episode 6, when Lester's visited in the hospital by his brother, their conversation has a very similar end result to that between Peggy & Lou in the cruiser; Chas comes in to confront Lester about what's been happening, which results in Lester declaring "I'm the victim here" and soon down the line Chas rebuking him with "People are dead, Lester".

if this franchise goes on long enough, eventually we will get an episode where the cold open is a slow, silent pan across a scene that seems to go on for just ages. then, as the object of interest comes into frame, a guest narrator says "well ya'know dawg..."

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

it's really nitpicky and dumb to complain about but at the end when danson is giving the symbols explanation, he goes in and out of his fake minnesota accent and it just really stood out to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I wonder if Ted's whole visual language thing was related to the two kids signing. Sign language was recognized as a natural language in 1960 but didn't really blow up until the 80s, and a lot of people think sign language is universal (which it isn't).

I really liked how they just had a deaf mobster in season one and I hope they do something sign language related in season 3 again.

• Locked thread