Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I love this so much. The same thing happened with THE DEVIL TRANS FATS. "0g trans fats!" on the labels of fish fillets and bottles of water. Goodness, I'm glad this fresh cantaloupe is trans fat- and gluten-free!

Lactose is another thing that shows up. I get why it happens but it really, really confuses me when something like say a jar of nuts says "gluten free! lactose free! 0g trans fat! low sodium!"

Well, no poo poo. A jar of unsalted peanuts is going to not have those things. It's nothing but nuts. Of course jars of peanuts also tend to have "ALLERGY WARNING: CONTAINS PEANUTS!" as if "jar of peanuts" is something that could somehow mysteriously not contain peanuts. I get that peanut allergies are a huge deal (I actually have a few food allergies and those things show up in the damnedest places) but come on. It's a clear container that is clearly full of peanuts that says "PEANUTS" on the label. It'd be confusing, strange, and possibly terrifying if it had no peanuts in it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
With things like nuts it could be that they're packaged in a plant that does other snacks that use gluten in their seasoning and trace amounts could be there. I know a couple of people with severe coeliac disease and after some bad reactions they don't touch things like raw nuts or spices unless it's explicitly labelled as 'gluten-free'.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Also, although the "jar of nuts" thing seems obvious, it then raises the question, at what point is something too obvious to require a label? It's easier and safer (from a litigation standpoint at the very least) to just label anything with nuts as, well, containing nuts. I don't think it costs the company anything extra to add those two words onto a label that's already being printed anyway, so there's nothing to lose. I'd hazard most people with a severe allergy aren't going to go and buy a carton of the thing they're allergic to just because it didn't have the allergy warning on the label, but there's really no reason NOT to have that label if you're abiding by the principle of "label everything that contains this relatively common & potentially severe allergen."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

sweeperbravo posted:

Also, although the "jar of nuts" thing seems obvious, it then raises the question, at what point is something too obvious to require a label? It's easier and safer (from a litigation standpoint at the very least) to just label anything with nuts as, well, containing nuts. I don't think it costs the company anything extra to add those two words onto a label that's already being printed anyway, so there's nothing to lose. I'd hazard most people with a severe allergy aren't going to go and buy a carton of the thing they're allergic to just because it didn't have the allergy warning on the label, but there's really no reason NOT to have that label if you're abiding by the principle of "label everything that contains this relatively common & potentially severe allergen."

The other thing of it is, well, how do you decide what is "a common allergen?" I'm violently allergic to shellfish which is also a pretty common allergy but you never, ever see "shellfish free!" on stuff.

I can understand the "this was processed in a facility that also processes X" labeling and they at least do that for shellfish.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And latex allergies have to worry about weird stuff like pineapple and I think kiwi, I would love to see the CHEMICALS ARE BAD outcry if "contains latex allergens" was put on a container of fresh pineapple slices

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other thing of it is, well, how do you decide what is "a common allergen?" I'm violently allergic to shellfish which is also a pretty common allergy but you never, ever see "shellfish free!" on stuff.

I can understand the "this was processed in a facility that also processes X" labeling and they at least do that for shellfish.

That's a fair point. Though I was talking more about stuff that's labelled "contains/may contain ______" rather than labelled "_____ free," which would become an endlessly long list of things :cheeky:

For what it's worth I agree that the GLUTEN FREE! NOT THAT IT EVER CONTAINED GLUTEN TO BEGIN WITH, NOR SHOULD IT trend is dumb.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

artsy fartsy posted:

The gas station near my house sells your typical paraphernalia like rolling papers and rose crack pipes but, because of its proximity to a school, can't sell alcohol.

They recently put up a big sign explaining this: "We don't sell alcohol. FAMILY FIRST!"

:haw:

Try coming to a backwards state like Pennsylvania. Our gas stations are not allowed to sell alcohol at all. Same for grocery stores. Unless your're Sheetz and you build a few plastic tables and get a restaurant liquor license. Wegmans uses this loophole as well in PA.

OR, you can go to a drive-thru beer distributor where chilled cases of beer are loaded into your trunk. Wait you want WINE? Gotta go to the STATE STORE. It's just like DMV - it even smells the same. Full of government workers and outdated equipment. But they have the wine and liquor. What a strange state!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

If you have celiac you have been glutened by a million loving things, even gluten free things that have been cross contaminated, which wreck your body for a minimum of a day. Your whole body hurts feels like you got wasted the night before, drank mexican water, and ran into a wall full speed about a half dozen times. Your skin burns and you poo poo out everything you've eaten in the last 48 hours, including the mucous lining of your intestines and it hurts the whole time. Your stomach swells up like you're pregnant and you can read your pulse by looking down at your belly.

And then people say a million annoying questions like "Are you suuuuuuuure you have celiac? I read it was made up. Are you just saying that because you're paleo? Don't you want to have a little bit of this cake? It can't be that bad, I would just eat this all the time if I was sick and deal with it."

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The other day at the store they had a big display of single serving Pop Tart pouches and there was big wording at the top that said something like "Go ahead, take one!" and there was no pricing listed anywhere. For a second I thought they were free samples. Apparently I wasn't the only one because the next time I came in that slogan had been covered up by a giant store sign with the price.

I don't know how exactly Pop Tarts wanted it set up, but the original design seemed to be encouraging people to unknowingly steal. I mean, I don't think I'm an idiot, and it tripped me up for a second, so I feel pretty certain at least a few people just grabbed a pouch and started eating.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

0toShifty posted:

Try coming to a backwards state like Pennsylvania. Our gas stations are not allowed to sell alcohol at all. Same for grocery stores. Unless your're Sheetz and you build a few plastic tables and get a restaurant liquor license. Wegmans uses this loophole as well in PA.

OR, you can go to a drive-thru beer distributor where chilled cases of beer are loaded into your trunk. Wait you want WINE? Gotta go to the STATE STORE. It's just like DMV - it even smells the same. Full of government workers and outdated equipment. But they have the wine and liquor. What a strange state!

When I left ca for the south I was super confused about the abc stores everywhere and why they didn't just have a booze section in every super market. You basically just described nc except the beer is in grocery stores with mixers but all the wine and hard liquour is in the abc store which also sells beer

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Could you Penn state goons at least buy booze on Sunday's? Because we just got that privilege last year in the South.

Not even hosting a Super Bowl was enough to make lawmakers change their minds. If you wanted beer, you had 6 perfectly fine days of the week to buy it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

And then people say a million annoying questions like "Are you suuuuuuuure you have celiac? I read it was made up. Are you just saying that because you're paleo? Don't you want to have a little bit of this cake? It can't be that bad, I would just eat this all the time if I was sick and deal with it."

A professor of nutrition here made a statement recently that gluten free diet was not necessarily healthier. That there was no intrinsic health benefit in gluten free foods for those who don't show coeliac symptoms and also that gluten-free did not necessarily mean low carbohydrate as often things like rice and potato are used in lieu of wheat.

So filter that statement through lovely news websites and social media clickbait and you get "expensive gluten free diet a sham" type stories with comment sections full of people falling over themselves to tell the world that millenials are gullible simpletons, allergies didn't exist when they were kids, macros of the effeminate man with dreadlocks, etc.

My friend that has coeliac disease had a handful of people send/tag these news stories to her saying "see, I told you". An older relative actually printed the story out and presented her with it at a family gathering.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I was going through some 1950s newspaper archives today.

A paragraph from an ad for Sentinel TV sets just stood out to me.

1952 posted:

And looks are an imporant part of your Sentinel set - the eye-capturing looks of the beautiful Mahogany or colorfast blond Korina wood cabinet - the eye-resting looks of Sentinel Living Pictures on the hugh 17", 21" or 27" screen - the envious looks of your friends and neighbors, the delighted looks on your family's happy faces when you announce "At last, we've bought a Sentinel!"

Suggested retail price was $340. Inflation puts that to be over $3,000 in today's money.

That said, television was enough of a status symbol that my grandparents specifically took a picture of their first TV. I found it in a box of other family photos.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Japan seems to be working hard at an official way of labeling allergens--usually with kids in mind, so you'll see hypoallergenic kids' meals and labels on snacks. Labels and menus usually note the presence of primary allergens (wheat, buckwheat, eggs, milk, peanuts, shrimp, crab) and sometimes secondary allergens (abalone, squid, salmon roe, oranges, kiwifruit, beef, walnuts, salmon, mackerel, soy, chicken, bananas, pork, matsutake mushrooms, peaches, mountain potato, apples, gelatin). No strawberries, I notice now; I thought they were a more common allergen.

There are things on that second list that I never knew anyone could be allergic to. Can you imagine being the kid with more than one or two of those allergies? :psyduck: I guess you'd be glad they're declaring your allergens, anyway!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If you have celiac you have been glutened by a million loving things, even gluten free things that have been cross contaminated, which wreck your body for a minimum of a day. Your whole body hurts feels like you got wasted the night before, drank mexican water, and ran into a wall full speed about a half dozen times. Your skin burns and you poo poo out everything you've eaten in the last 48 hours, including the mucous lining of your intestines and it hurts the whole time. Your stomach swells up like you're pregnant and you can read your pulse by looking down at your belly.

This 100% corresponds with my experience of having celiac disease. You pretty much just have to accept that either you live in a bubble and never eat or drink anything you didn't prepare yourself in your own home, or sometimes, seemingly at random, you will be horribly ill for awhile.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This part seems crazy to me. Literally the only reaction I've ever gotten after I say, "Thanks, I can't, I have celiac disease," is "Oh, that sucks. Is there anything here you can eat?" At restaurants I say, "I'm sorry, I'm an allergy person, i have celiac disease and can't eat gluten" and the servers tell me what I can and can't eat. (And sometimes I get something that was cross-contaminated and feel terrible for a couple of days.) I have never had anyone question the legitimacy of my gluten-free diet and everyone is always super nice about it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Dogfish posted:

This 100% corresponds with my experience of having celiac disease. You pretty much just have to accept that either you live in a bubble and never eat or drink anything you didn't prepare yourself in your own home, or sometimes, seemingly at random, you will be horribly ill for awhile.

This part seems crazy to me. Literally the only reaction I've ever gotten after I say, "Thanks, I can't, I have celiac disease," is "Oh, that sucks. Is there anything here you can eat?" At restaurants I say, "I'm sorry, I'm an allergy person, i have celiac disease and can't eat gluten" and the servers tell me what I can and can't eat. (And sometimes I get something that was cross-contaminated and feel terrible for a couple of days.) I have never had anyone question the legitimacy of my gluten-free diet and everyone is always super nice about it.

It's almost like...people use the anonymity of the internet...as an excuse...to be...a dick.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

If we're on the subject of food allergens and sensitivities now who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to make imitation crab out of like 60% sorbitol? Crab meat isn't sweet and definitely shouldn't make you poo poo your guts out until you pray for the sweet release of the grave. :(

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Could you Penn state goons at least buy booze on Sunday's? Because we just got that privilege last year in the South.

Not even hosting a Super Bowl was enough to make lawmakers change their minds. If you wanted beer, you had 6 perfectly fine days of the week to buy it.

What are the arguments against buying alcohol on Sundays? Apart from teh obvious "That's Jesus' day fucknuts, so thou shalt not a bunch of stuff."

Do people/lawmakers/religious types seriously think they will reduce alcoholism and its attendent social ills by stopping the sale of beer on Sunday?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Jesus Day argument doesn't even make any sense. Dude showed up to a party without booze and the first thing he did was turn a bunch of water to wine.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Jason Mantzoukas' episode of "You Made It Weird" is super interesting. He talks about having a deathly allergic reaction to eggs and just how that's impacted his life and outlook.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dogfish posted:

(And sometimes I get something that was cross-contaminated and feel terrible for a couple of days.)

Restaurants are more aware of what gluten is these days, but I’ve wondered how seriously they take it. Are incidents of cross‐contamination more frequent?

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 09:16 on Dec 16, 2015

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I was going through some 1950s newspaper archives today.

If we're talking crazy historical ads, here's my favorite I've come across in my work. This ones from a small Virginia town in 1865:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hirayuki posted:

There are things on that second list that I never knew anyone could be allergic to.

You can be allergic to almost anything. I used to have a roommate who couldn't use the same bar of soap as another person because he'd get rashes if he did. Allergic to people! Who'da thunk it? If you ask around you'll get responses where people are allergic to absurd things you wouldn't even consider.

For example I have a minor allergy to aloe and need to be really, really careful about what soap and soap-related things I use. That poo poo is everywhere. It isn't major, though; worst I get is itchy. It is, however, incredibly irritating if I accidentally use a soap with aloe in it. It doesn't endanger my life at all but having itchy hands for multiple hours is actually pretty awful.

Dogfish posted:

My experience has been that people who are actually celiac will say "I have celiac" and be understanding about how impossible it is to eliminate all cross contamination. Like restaurants do their best but it just isn't possible. Yes it sucks. Even so nobody is going to be mean to a person that goes "I have celiac" and asks what is there that they can and can't have.

The thing that gets on peoples' nerves is when somebody that very obviously does not have a gluten intolerance claims they do and acts like it makes them a special snowflake. It's irritating because all of the sudden a lot of people decided that gluten is a terrible abomination that is bad for everybody and must be destroyed. Now, I am not a person with celiac and I love bread like a lot. Seriously, I eat poo poo loads of bread but occasionally somebody that is extremely anti-gluten will try to convince me that bread is awful and I should quit eating it. These people are incredibly vocal about how bread is poisoning all of us and let's all quit eating bread and no bread, ever, go away bread and wheat and...

I think you get the picture. Some people are just incredibly awful and obnoxious about how much they hate gluten and think it is the devil. These are the people that get on everybody's nerves and get complained about. People with celiac that aren't insane? Yeah, not a problem. We'll do our best to keep gluten out of your intestines. It's cool.

Most people do not have celiac and do not need a gluten-free diet. However there are a poo poo load of people that get all smug and superior about how they don't eat gluten or serve it to their families as if they're saving them from a hideous poison. Which is absurd. Most people don't have issues with gluten.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Restaurants are more aware of what gluten is these days, but I’ve wondered how seriously they take it. Are incidents of cross‐contamination more frequent?

I used to work in a place that made our own pasta and pizza bases (which we rolled to order). As you can imagine, there was flour everywhere. We'd occasionally get customers bringing in their own GF pizza bases, and asking if we could use those. We'd always have to tell them "Yeah, but we can't guarantee there will be no flour floating about" because 100% there would be, but what can we say? No? Not likely. So, we'd take it fairly seriously, we'd use a board straight from the dishwasher, we'd use fresh utensils, etc, and we'd wear gloves, but, at the end of the day, you are pretty much guaranteed to have an element of cross-contamination unless the premises has a special area where nothing that contains gluten has ever been produced, which in ten year's of professional catering I have never seen or heard of.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

What are the arguments against buying alcohol on Sundays? Apart from teh obvious "That's Jesus' day fucknuts, so thou shalt not a bunch of stuff."

Do people/lawmakers/religious types seriously think they will reduce alcoholism and its attendent social ills by stopping the sale of beer on Sunday?

Sunday, day of rest, holy day. It was a Blue law, it didn't have to make sense. You could still go into any bar and drink yourself silly. You just couldn't buy it in a store.

Ironically one of the groups against appealing the law were liquor stores, which liked having the day off. It wasn't like they sold any less alcohol, people just bought their Sunday beer on Saturday.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

John Boyega

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mu Zeta posted:

John Boyega

Chewie was snubbed again!

At least Boyega is still there in minuscule form.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Most people do not have celiac and do not need a gluten-free diet. However there are a poo poo load of people that get all smug and superior about how they don't eat gluten or serve it to their families as if they're saving them from a hideous poison. Which is absurd. Most people don't have issues with gluten.

On the less smug end of the spectrum, there is also a large group of people who picked up a vague notion that a healthy body is a healthy mind, and therefore they just have to find the right diet to never have bad feelings again. Health food marketing plays heavily on their insecurities, so instead of dealing with their issues they can just obsess about gluten and then things will be ok somehow. Questioning their bullshit diet causes people like that to lash out because you're taking away their security blanket. It's sad.

My mom thinks she might have a gluten allergy. She feels tired and sad every day and also eats gluten every day so that must be it, it can't be that she's rapidly spiraling into a burn-out due to taking care of her ill, recently widowed neighbor while also juggling the responsibilities of several people at work, right? :smith:

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

joshtothemaxx posted:

If we're talking crazy historical ads, here's my favorite I've come across in my work. This ones from a small Virginia town in 1865:

Holy poo poo, that's incredible.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Platystemon posted:

Chewie was snubbed again!

At least Boyega is still there in minuscule form.

I'm sure there's a joke about how Japan* loves robots and the droid being front and center.

*Or China? I'm pretty sure it's not Korean, beyond that, I can't tell.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

As odd as it sounds the people who fight liquor stores being open on Sundays the most, are the liquor store owners. It's come up in my state multiple times, repealing the law to ban liquor sales on Sunday, and it's the store owners who are like, 'nah it's cool, leave it up'. If you cannot buy from their competitors they actually save money being closed one day out of the week. People just buy extra on Saturday. the guys on the border of a state with Sunday liquor sales might have a different story though.

when they were enacted though, yeah it was totally because Jesus didn't want you buying booze on that one day. Maybe Jesus ran a liquor store and wanted a day to sleep in.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That sucks. I wouldn't wish that on anyone but my thirty worst enemies. I have an acquaintance who swells up like she's 9 mos pregnant if she has gluten.

You ever read the restaurant thread though? It's full of stories of people who are are exasperated at bending over backwards for customers who make over-the-top requests for gluten-free items (and other allergens). This includes the woman who walks into a bakery cafe demanding gluten free versions of everything, because she's celiac, never mind that it's a production bakery, and so there's already airborne flour. This includes the guy who goes into a restaurant and rudely demands specially-prepared versions of everything to avoid gluten cross contamination, derailing the line just to help meet his needs, and then as his food arrives he promptly rams a free bun into his mouth and dumps regular soy sauce on everything. These kinds of people are extremely disruptive in food service, and people get very tired of dealing with them. Mind you, the horror stories about faked gluten allergies aren't the only ones - the most cringe-inducing one in the thread's lore is about a salt allergy.

Now, I'm not challenging your experience in any way, but it's possible that sometimes the people who are dipshits to you are just conflating you with someone who has caused some kind of problem for them in the past. This is the side-effect of "Gluten Free" being on every stupid label which could ever have it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Yes. Though it's gone from "It's Jesus's day/day of rest" to "Everyone needs a day to dry out once a week" in order to mask the parochial nature of the law. What's hilarious is when jurisdictions allow sales on the most holy Sunday of the year--Super Bowl Sunday--because Jesus wants us to get wasted and watch football :toot:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

John Boyega

The second one is a stronger, more balanced composition without Boyega separated out to the side like that.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

sassassin posted:

The second one is a stronger, more balanced composition without Boyega separated out to the side like that.

I'd agree with you if they put Kylo Ren and his lightsaber in the center, but since he's still off to the side shrinking Finn throws off the balance IMO. I do like how they made the X-wings bigger, though.

EDIT: Actually I think the perfect poster would be the Japanese (Chinese?) one, but move the TIE Fighters so they're opposite the X-wings, put Finn back, and change Ren to his American pose.

ninjahedgehog has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Dec 17, 2015

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The dumbest part of gluten free marketing is that you can slap a big GLUTEN FREE sticker on stuff that isn't, in fact, gluten-free. My boss is severely coeliac and there's an entire supermarket chain who's gluten free range fucks him up because they go right up to the limit of what you can include and still call something "gluten free". Obviously he checks the labels on his own shopping like anyone with a severe allergy should, but business lunches and client visits are a huge pain in the rear end as it's rude for him to turn down food they've bought specifically for him but might still land him in the toilet for the next four hours.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I was reading a label of raw chicken that had something along the lines of "Proudly contains no hormones* because we care!"

*use of hormones in chicken is illegal

They're very proud to advertise they aren't breaking the law I guess!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

stringball posted:

I was reading a label of raw chicken that had something along the lines of "Proudly contains no hormones* because we care!"

*use of hormones in chicken is illegal

They're very proud to advertise they aren't breaking the law I guess!

This is more Marketing 101. Like, this is the Mad Men where they come up with Lucky Strike's "It's Toasted," even though all cigarette companies did the same thing. It's just an easy way to distinguish yourself and look better

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I used to have a roommate who couldn't use the same bar of soap as another person because he'd get rashes if he did. Allergic to people! Who'da thunk it?

is this a troll?

uh that's gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'd agree with you if they put Kylo Ren and his lightsaber in the center, but since he's still off to the side shrinking Finn throws off the balance IMO. I do like how they made the X-wings bigger, though.

EDIT: Actually I think the perfect poster would be the Japanese (Chinese?) one, but move the TIE Fighters so they're opposite the X-wings, put Finn back, and change Ren to his American pose.

The bad guy should be displaced, but then you also have her head bridging the dividing line between him and the central figures.

In the american poster Finn's lightsaber separates him from the main cast.