Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I just ran into a distress beacon for the first time and this guy is begging for fuel, how do I give him some?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Whew, 120k credits just for rumbling up to a (+) security generator and shooting it, then flying back. Beats the hell out of couriering data, at least as a newbie :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Outfitting a ship is still zero-sum, money wise, as long as I sell the parts before selling the hull, right?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Sankis posted:

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing horizons content in Elite. Apparently I have to download a new client? :wtc:

Why is it not just DLC?

1) They probably wanted to release it as a new package to pull in a new batch of people for the holiday season, whereas releasing it as DLC doesn't let them market it as a new game.

2) The 64-bit update. Was it really necessary to split the clients? Probably not, but I imagine it solved some problems on the development end.

Ciaphas posted:

Outfitting a ship is still zero-sum, money wise, as long as I sell the parts before selling the hull, right?

You'll always take a 10% loss on selling the actual craft, but selling your modules and downgrading the ones you can't sell will limit that 10% to the bare minimum.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Had one of my first 'woah' moments in the game since I started, looking at the sun setting over an impact crater the size of a small country and realising how big everything is. It's difficult to appreciate the size of space when you're in it and can go at magic speed. Zoomed around and picked up a few nice rocks, then on my way back to the station checkd out a distress signal, got ambushed by a Vulture and died. Love it.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Is there some trick to getting a Horizons steam key? It's not listed in Partner Keys in Store like the E:D one is?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Some random questions:

1. How do I bind UI focus for the srv without it unbinding the same button for flight controls? I want to keep it on the x52's pinky button on the stick but the game keeps unbinding flight/drive UI focus in order to bind the new one and I am sad man.

2. How do I know which bases have landing pads? How do I know which ones have which size pads? Oh god I am so confused.

3. Why don't I have a black Anaconda paint job? I preordered well before Black Friday and I was under the impression that all Horizons preorders got the black paint. Is this just another case of Frontier not putting out Anaconda paint jobs?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Syves posted:

They supposedly updated the VR support in 1.5, right? Am I safe finally to update my rift drivers from something like .5 to something newer?

Yes and no? Officially Elite 1.5 still only supports the 0.5 Oculus SDK. It adds support for playing with Valve's SteamVR runtime, though, and Valve maintain (somewhat buggy) support for 0.8 in that. Some people have reported that it works as well as or better than 0.5, so as long as you make sure you can roll back there should be no reason not to try it. Also SteamVR is updated pretty frequently, so hopefully the big bugs some people have seen - incorrect refresh rates and black borders on position resets - should be fixed Soon*.

* - Valve Time

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
0% showing on ranks seems to be a display bug as I just completed an accession mission for the Imperial Navy that I received after doing very un-Imperial-like things. 0% on my rank bar yet I was promoted to Count on completion of the mission.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/25A6A5A5A6A4A4C1t1t0r0r0302000j2d2d32292fv6.AwRj4z1Eg===.Aw18cQ==?bn=Blackshark

If you put shields on an FAS you're not going :black101: enough. I just wrapped up a HazRES run with this and only two modules were seriously banged up by the time I ran out of ammo- cockpit at 34%, power distributor at 45%. I could pop in and out of silent running for no penalty and once I accidentally ran into another FAS head-on; I lost 19% hull, he lost all of his shields and 9% hull.

I'm not sure about the PDS. It caught at least one missile, missed at least two mostly because it couldn't see them. A second heat sink launcher could be useful, but I'm not sure how effective hopping into SR is for throwing off missiles and torpedos so for now PDS it is.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sard posted:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/25A6A5A5A6A4A4C1t1t0r0r0302000j2d2d32292fv6.AwRj4z1Eg===.Aw18cQ==?bn=Blackshark

If you put shields on an FAS you're not going :black101: enough. I just wrapped up a HazRES run with this and only two modules were seriously banged up by the time I ran out of ammo- cockpit at 34%, power distributor at 45%. I could pop in and out of silent running for no penalty and once I accidentally ran into another FAS head-on; I lost 19% hull, he lost all of his shields and 9% hull.

I'm not sure about the PDS. It caught at least one missile, missed at least two mostly because it couldn't see them. A second heat sink launcher could be useful, but I'm not sure how effective hopping into SR is for throwing off missiles and torpedos so for now PDS it is.

Unless you're getting multiple missiles fired at you simultaneously I'd use ECM.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
The keelback is supposed to have a hanger for a fighter like the anaconda, is this true?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

tofes posted:

I just ran into a distress beacon for the first time and this guy is begging for fuel, how do I give him some?

Fuel limpet drone?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Arach posted:

Is there some trick to getting a Horizons steam key? It's not listed in Partner Keys in Store like the E:D one is?
Under your ED Steam key there should be a button to create another key for Horizons.

Too bad I don't have time to try this today. Got a bunch of stupid christmas shopping to do and then there's some stupid movie I have to watch.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Lodin posted:

Under your ED Steam key there should be a button to create another key for Horizons.

That button is still missing for a lot of people, myself included.

Running the Steam E:D install as a non-Steam game still lets you run Horizons for now.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
Well Frontier gave me a Steam key already in use so now I have to wait for Support to get back to me. Not the smoothest launch I've ever seen. Also very amused at how the game has gone from released to early access. For having produced such a great game Frontier do seem to be the biggest bumblefucks when it comes to decision making.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Illuminated Rodent posted:

Also very amused at how the game has gone from released to early access

Cute

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010

It is labeled as such on the storepage on Steam. I mean I get their reasoning behind it, it's just that far as I know that's not how EA titles have worked/are used.

It is however quite in line with Frontiers somewhat weird stance on Steam. And yes, this is probably all me being bitter that they gave me a faulty Steam key and me being to lazy to use their own launcher for a bit.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I meant more the running joke is that the game has yet to ever come out of early access

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

ManicJason posted:

That button is still missing for a lot of people, myself included.

Running the Steam E:D install as a non-Steam game still lets you run Horizons for now.

FYI: Button seems to exist for me now.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I have a feeling that the DBE has been replaced in shipyard lists by one of the new ships post-Horizons. Could people let me know if they spot them for sale anywhere? They're not in Xihe or Nisgayo any more.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Wth, the Xmas tree bobblehead should be free! :mad:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Arach posted:

FYI: Button seems to exist for me now.

It just showed up for me as well between my last post and this one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

I meant more the running joke is that the game has yet to ever come out of early access

It is? Wasn't that last year? Someone should tell those people there's a fine line between a running joke and beating a dead horse and they just took up the club.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Yup. Since release last year the game has been perfect and each point release has just added to this perfection.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Important note: do not uninstall the Elite: Dangerous (64-bit) installation if you have Horizons installed, since they are not two separate installs as I originally thought. :downs:
Thanfully I wisely decided to hold onto the beta files before trying this, so it only took a matter of minutes to reinstall everything*. :v:

*I do like this launcher

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Innerguard posted:

The keelback is supposed to have a hanger for a fighter like the anaconda, is this true?

This is an educated guess but it is likely a fighter hanger is a size 5 module. A double hanger (2 fighters 1 mod) will probably be a size 7. This is based on the largest reasonable sized internal slot of the keelback and the internal logic of their SRV hangers. Fighters like SRV would be bought as ammo.

Fighters have a lot of weight freed up for not having FSDs. Hopefully in the future both they and the SRVs will be individually customizable via the new role menu, the later being something they are looking into in the future, along with more SRV models.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think it's kind of a shame that it's seeming like we won't be able to just pack our iggles into somebody's Anaconda and go out like that, but it takes a little edge off of it if they're cheap and disposable like the SRVs.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

radintorov posted:

Important note: do not uninstall the Elite: Dangerous (64-bit) installation if you have Horizons installed, since they are not two separate installs as I originally thought. :downs:
Thanfully I wisely decided to hold onto the beta files before trying this, so it only took a matter of minutes to reinstall everything*. :v:

*I do like this launcher

I started a fresh install, do I need to install the x64 normal client or just Horizons?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Innerguard posted:

Fuel limpet drone?

It's not like it's a big deal by itself, but it's funny to me that they're trying to do a bit of the classic random-encounter space adventure you might see in other games, and much of it can't be done in this game because of the way the ship fitting design emphasizes specialization- you need to plan ahead and fit specialized equipment to do even the simplest things.

Unless you're a fuel rat I guess. Nobody else is just going to be flying around with fuel transfer limpets on for no reason.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dabir posted:

I started a fresh install, do I need to install the x64 normal client or just Horizons?
Install Horizons, although I tried running the non-Horizons x64 client and all that changed was that the watermark showed "Elite 1.5" instead of "2.0" and the main menu had the old background animation.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

DarthBlingBling posted:

Yup. Since release last year the game has been perfect and each point release has just added to this perfection.

Seriously, how hard is it to make a co-op space sim? This has got to be the worst implementation I've ever seen.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

NRVNQSR posted:

Yes and no? Officially Elite 1.5 still only supports the 0.5 Oculus SDK. It adds support for playing with Valve's SteamVR runtime, though, and Valve maintain (somewhat buggy) support for 0.8 in that. Some people have reported that it works as well as or better than 0.5, so as long as you make sure you can roll back there should be no reason not to try it. Also SteamVR is updated pretty frequently, so hopefully the big bugs some people have seen - incorrect refresh rates and black borders on position resets - should be fixed Soon*.

* - Valve Time

Hmm... well, maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend. See if its any different. Despite the loving atrocity of trying to navigate anywhere in the galaxy map with the rift on... its seriously the only way I can play anymore. TrackIR is good... but its not "Holy poo poo, I'm actually in grainy screendoor space right now".

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is Horizons any better at all? Did they make missions fun? I want planetary landings but if its the same poo poo but now in a rover I dont know why bother.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I love the additions for 1.5. My DBS now rocks!

But the planet stuff so far isn't doing it for me, also didn't help my buggy didn't have default bindings and it was not fun setting them up.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

They really need to start adding tabs to the control configuration page

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

DarthBlingBling posted:

I unironically agree.

Angrymog posted:

They really need to start adding tabs to the control configuration page

Dear god yes

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh poo poo, you can jettison heat sinks in super cruise again?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Sylink posted:

Is Horizons any better at all? Did they make missions fun? I want planetary landings but if its the same poo poo but now in a rover I dont know why bother.

I watched a stream of Horizons last night. It is pretty much what you would expect to find while exploring a vast atmosphere-less planet or moon: hundreds of miles of boring nothing with repetitive debris clutter. Why yes, of course it would be good optics to add planets, but it is just another super shallow game mode. Wouldn't want to add any engaging content to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh poo poo, you can jettison heat sinks in super cruise again?

Do you suppose the heatsink just explodes into a burst of gamma rays or something when it exits your Supercruise bubble, due to suddenly being subjected to the constant speed of light and having to shed its excess energy? Because otherwise you're shooting an uncontrolled projectile off the side of your ship at like 800c :v:

• Locked thread