Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ukle
Nov 28, 2005

dhn posted:

Into Darkness also got a lot of negative feedback due to Abrams lying about Kahn and its lack of good female characters, which apparently doesn’t concern your random male movie critic. Still a good (not great) movie.

Anyway: 100% with 52 critics, hard to keep expectations in check.

100% with 66 now... seriously WTF this is a Star Wars move critics normally hate them

Edit: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/dec/16/star-wars-the-force-awakens-review-a-spectacular-homecoming

Even the Guardian loves it (5 out of 5) and they normally despise mainstream films, especially Sci Fi

ukle fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ukle posted:

100% with 66 now... seriously WTF this is a Star Wars move critics normally hate them
The last time there was a SW movie was a generation ago. Facebook and Gmail didn't even exist back then.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

paint dry posted:

I don't really want to start this conversation, but it's mainly nerds who hate it.

appeals to the laymen?

really?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A Wordpress blog has gone against the grain and only awarded it 2/4, killing the 100%. People in the comments are livid. (It's not a great review, to be fair).

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

ukle posted:

Edit: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/dec/16/star-wars-the-force-awakens-review-a-spectacular-homecoming

Even the Guardian loves it (5 out of 5) and they normally despise mainstream films, especially Sci Fi

They gave Spectre 5/5.

Anyways, I'm sure no one is worried that the Force Awakens is bad. Mediocre is still considered good, especially in rotten tomatoes, and that's what I worry. I'd rather have an interesting failure than a forgettable 3-star movie that just exists and takes no chances or have anything new to say. I'm not saying this will be like that but it is Disney and JJ Abrams after all.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-
Sittning in the theatre with 5 minutes left until the movie starts (11am screening). I didn't know that I was this hype about a Star War, but hey.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

A Wordpress blog has gone against the grain and only awarded it 2/4, killing the 100%. People in the comments are livid. (It's not a great review, to be fair).

quote:

Loved “Star Wars.” This is the same movie. Do people deserve credit for copying that, and just making it more PC? Nope.

Angling for clicks or pushing a weird agenda? Who knows!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

well why not posted:

Angling for clicks or pushing a weird agenda? Who knows!

Well, that's basically what people were saying as the trailers came out, that it was looking more and more like just a remake of ANH. I can see how someone wouldn't find that an exciting experience to sit through.

Liverastic
Jul 25, 2004
Aaaaand the first Rotten Tomato is in. Dude's gonna get his clicks.

Edit, beaten soundly. Didn't see the post on my app.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Spinal Pap posted:

Sittning in the theatre with 5 minutes left until the movie starts (11am screening). I didn't know that I was this hype about a Star War, but hey.

Good luck, Spinal Pap. Let us know if your face gets melted.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Seeing it in 4 hours. Aaaaaaaagh!!!!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm in Thailand and the listing said EN/TH which I really hope means spoken English + Thai subs. If it's dubbed I might walk into traffic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
:siren:DO NOT GO TO THE BATTLEFRONT THREAD. SOME loving DIPSHIT LOSER POSTED MASSIVE UNTAGGED SPOILERS:siren:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

jivjov posted:

:siren:DO NOT GO TO THE BATTLEFRONT THREAD. SOME loving DIPSHIT LOSER POSTED MASSIVE UNTAGGED SPOILERS:siren:
Link?

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
Seeing it in one hour.

I'm 33 and the only star wars movie i've seen is return of the jedi

let's see if this movie is any fun

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PM'd you

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Just saw it, went in with high expectations and all were met and more. It was amazing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

parara posted:

Just saw it, went in with high expectations and all were met and more. It was amazing.
To what extent does it do its own thing vs. trying to recreate the feel of the originals?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

(Keep in mind that, when Luke blew up the Death Star, he killed every prisoner held there - except The Princess, of course. All those blue shirt guys from the opening scene, all the aliens (who must have existed in order for Chewbaca's disguise to work), and all the droids that were made to serve.... We don't care about those deaths because, naturally, they aren't royalty. That's ideology at work: the film itself makes Leia's superiority seem completely natural. [...]

This paragraph in general and those last two sentences in particular are awfully wrongheaded. The movie makes it pretty clear that Leia would be the first to tell Luke to take the shot even if she still was on the Death Star. Also, what's the exact ideological statement made when characters have to weigh an uncertain number of prisoners' lives lost in the destruction of the Death Star against the literally billions of lives endangered by it's ongoing existence along with the complete destruction of the Rebellion? I guess by that logic the climax of Avengers 2 is better than ANH because they saved a bunch of hostages instead of pooling their efforts to stomp on robots.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
It felt like a new Star Wars using the OT as its foundation in general lines (plot structure and such), but despite the obvious similarities on that front it felt like a NEW Star Wars if that makes sense. Trying to keep it vague here, but I think many people will be very happy.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

paint dry posted:

I don't really want to start this conversation, but it's mainly nerds who hate it. I (despite being a nerd) really enjoyed it.

This I can also confirm; many non-Trekkie friends I have thought it was a good movie with interesting if not overt themes. I haven't heard anyone other than Trekkies and other nerds who've called it less than decent at the very least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have zero time for any Star Trek series, I've somehow seen most if not all of the Star Trek films and think they're alright at best, but I really enjoyed both JJ Trek films. The fact that others get so worked up about them just adds to it all.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grendels Dad posted:

This paragraph in general and those last two sentences in particular are awfully wrongheaded. The movie makes it pretty clear that Leia would be the first to tell Luke to take the shot even if she still was on the Death Star. Also, what's the exact ideological statement made when characters have to weigh an uncertain number of prisoners' lives lost in the destruction of the Death Star against the literally billions of lives endangered by it's ongoing existence along with the complete destruction of the Rebellion? I guess by that logic the climax of Avengers 2 is better than ANH because they saved a bunch of hostages instead of pooling their efforts to stomp on robots.

You're getting caught up in some sort of canon. I'm just talking about what's onscreen. In the narrative, we have two conflicting sets of imagery:

One is the Death Star as a purely spectral presence, a nightmarish vision of the future. Chewbacca is enslaved, all the plants are gone, etc. Luke and Han dispel this apocalyptic nightmare, and the people live happily on a planet that remains lush and green. In this view, the Death Star is a purely metaphorical space. We don't see the other prisoners because they don't exist. There is only the imagery of Leia huddled in the darkness.

On the other hand, the Death Star is a literal enemy 'country' that neighbors all the others, in the present. The Death Star can consequently stand in for any bad nation, from America to North Korea - and then you have this idea that there's no downside to killing everyone, because their population is better off dead. They're no more than drones, unlike us. That's the logic of the prequel Jedi, and of the Republic.

The result of this inconsistency is that you can have your cake and eat it too. Luke can blow up a country, but it's not fully 'real'. It's an abstraction, as in Ender's Game. There's a grey circle with a green line coming out of it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
One thing to keep in mind about JJ Abrams and his past films: he has written them with his generally lovely writing partners. Any complaints about his movies have to do with script, not direction.

Larry Kasden is much better at writing a script (or a Star Wars film for that matter) than Abrams and probably schooled him. In fact, JJ has said as much to 60 Minutes.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
In the cinema now. 20 mins to go, lots of dressups, cheap bathrobe jedis etc. Cinema filling fast.

E: someone printed off the poster and cut out a spot for his head in the middle and walked into the cinema, got a round of applause.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 16, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Richard Roeper posted:

The Force Awakens pops with memorable battle sequences, gives us chills with encore appearances by stars from the original trilogy and introduces more than a half-dozen terrific Next Generation characters.

Picard, Riker, LaForge, Crusher, Worf, Data, Troi?

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I'm in the cinema right now. Movie starts in two minutes. So fucken excited!

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-
I loved it. BB-8 was good. Rey was good. Finn was good. Everyone and everything was good.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
You idiots. You don't know what you like and are not supposed to like star war! Didn't you get the memo? Am I doing this right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKeAAdjZYAs

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is one of the many cases where a crucial part of the narrative is mistaken for a 'plot hole.'

I was trying to play along by posting another inane criticism that doesn't really mean much. :ssh:

But yes, it's true that one of the major thematic undercurrents of the saga is classism/racism against the droids. (And also the Gungans, and the Tuskens, and the clones, and the Ewoks.)

quote:

So we should read this scene very carefully. In Empire, we learn that every ship has its own intelligence. All vehicles, even whole cities, are sentient beings with thoughts and feelings. But here, in A New Hope, we already have this image a spaceship being consumed - and, in its death throes, making GBS threads itself in terror. The Rebel ship squeezes out a turd, and we then follow its trajectory as it plummets to the ground.

I don't know how Han saying he needs 3PO to talk to the Falcon and figure out what's wrong with her is evidence that the ship is alive. By that logic, Anakin's pod racer is equally alive because it communicates to him about the damage it has taken. And you can't claim that the Death Star shits itself and then explain that it's actually the Rebel ship that shits on it. There's no poo poo imagery here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Star Wars: The Fecal Menace.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Grendels Dad posted:

This paragraph in general and those last two sentences in particular are awfully wrongheaded. The movie makes it pretty clear that Leia would be the first to tell Luke to take the shot even if she still was on the Death Star. Also, what's the exact ideological statement made when characters have to weigh an uncertain number of prisoners' lives lost in the destruction of the Death Star against the literally billions of lives endangered by it's ongoing existence along with the complete destruction of the Rebellion?

The ideological statement is that the laborers and slaves on the death star are invisible.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't know if the Death Star shits, but it certainly ejaculates

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Got to see Star wars and a storm trooper helmet filled with popcorn

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrBigglesworth posted:

You idiots. You don't know what you like and are not supposed to like star war! Didn't you get the memo? Am I doing this right?

Actually, it is okay to like a star war, in fact all the star wars are fine to like.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Quick request:

I am going to see Force Awakens tomorrow night with someone who has never seen the original films. Needless to say there isn't enough time to watch the originals between then and now. Is there any sort of YouTube or video primer this thread would recommend to get her up to speed without burning her out on the material itself?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

prussian advisor posted:

Quick request:

I am going to see Force Awakens tomorrow night with someone who has never seen the original films. Needless to say there isn't enough time to watch the originals between then and now. Is there any sort of YouTube or video primer this thread would recommend to get her up to speed without burning her out on the material itself?

I skimmed this but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s0JNdAN_88

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If The Force Awakens is any good, you won't need any knowledge of previous Star Wars installments to enjoy it. If it's a bad film, no knowledge of the "canon" will save it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Actually, it is okay to like a star war, in fact all the star wars are fine to like.
It's kinda annoying seeing how many goons in this thread are dismissing any positive review as "the movie is mediocre, people are deluding themselves." I mean, I have tempered expectations as well, but there comes a point where you can be too jaded.

• Locked thread