Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Depressio111117 posted:

My IMM is that I like Mystery Men but nobody else does.

I mean, the things people are saying about it in this thread are mainly, on an objective level, true, but gently caress it, I love the film anyway despite its flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jedit posted:

If you want to be irritated about anything in the Alien universe, be irritated about that. All acids are molecular.

Nah, my irritating moment is that they're in full space suits to go walking around on LV-426 because there's no atmosphere, and then the facehugger doesn't kill Kane when it melts through his helmet to get to his face.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Nah, my irritating moment is that they're in full space suits to go walking around on LV-426 because there's no atmosphere, and then the facehugger doesn't kill Kane when it melts through his helmet to get to his face.

I assume facehuggers have the ability to create breathable oxygen and pump it into their hosts' lungs.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I'm watching The Tournament mostly because it's popped up on Netflix. They have Liam Cunningham (most recently known as Davos in Game of Thrones, but he also starred in Strike Back or Clash of the Titans, for example) as a kind of an accouncer, but for whatever reason they have him do some generic american accent. Half the fun in watching him is his awesome distinctive irish accent, but they just throw that away for seemingly no reason at all.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

rydiafan posted:

I assume facehuggers have the ability to create breathable oxygen and pump it into their hosts' lungs.

Facehuggers very deliberately keep their victims alive so they can do their thing, and since it looks like it's smothering their entire face and stopping them from breathing even in an oxygenated environment it makes sense to assume the facehugger is supplying oxygen somehow. The stuff is honestly everywhere, so it's not exactly outlandish that something could either synthesize it from local molecules, or if the air was merely toxic but contained oxygen it could filter out all the nasty stuff and give them breathable air.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Maybe they had tanks and things. Or needed space for carrying poo poo back from the places they went to.

The hangar was massive and empty, in the final scene with the Queen and "Get away from her you BITCH". And what are they carrying back? They're Marines, they're not going to be taking sheaves of wheat and sacks of rice in tribute.

Having said all of this, it's the tiniest nitpick, which makes sense because when a movie is that good you need to really reach to find things that annoy you.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rewatching the LOTR trilogy and good god these films are racist. Every other word is "my people" and how you shouldn't be with anyone other than "your people"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, but an oxygen mask isn't enough to keep you alive in vacuum. Below a certain pressure, no percentage of O2 in what you're breathing will keep you alive because the moisture in the surface of your aveoli will boil off and prevent diffusion of O2 into your bloodstream. You need pressure, and you can't just inflate the lungs alone to that pressure because they'll pop like balloons. You need a full pressure suit to survive on the surface of the moon, not just an OS mask, and the facehugger sure can't do *that*.

It'd have to be using its connection to his vascular system to pump oxygen directly into his bloodstream. Which is *weird*.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure LV426 had an atmosphere, with all the strong winds and clouds and storms raging. I could be wrong since its been quite a while since I've watched Alien, but don't they even comment on its atmosphere at some point before heading out to investigate the derelict?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Rewatching the LOTR trilogy and good god these films are racist. Every other word is "my people" and how you shouldn't be with anyone other than "your people"

The swarthiness of orcs was made hell of apparent when I first saw Fellowship. They were shooting at the whitest of the white from the trees while the fellowship rode in canoes like they were Lewis, Clark and company.

I think I noticed it in the books when I was a kid too.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HairyManling posted:

Pretty sure LV426 had an atmosphere, with all the strong winds and clouds and storms raging. I could be wrong since its been quite a while since I've watched Alien, but don't they even comment on its atmosphere at some point before heading out to investigate the derelict?

The whole colony is there to support an atmosphere processor.

Also, Nostromo is the big mining ship from the first movie, Sulaco is the marine ship from the second.

Fun fact: the Sulaco model was an embellished space marine rifle. And although corporal Hicks described said rifles as caseless they sprayed cases like whoah.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Memento posted:

The hangar was massive and empty, in the final scene with the Queen and "Get away from her you BITCH". And what are they carrying back? They're Marines, they're not going to be taking sheaves of wheat and sacks of rice in tribute.

Having said all of this, it's the tiniest nitpick, which makes sense because when a movie is that good you need to really reach to find things that annoy you.

They had another ship that was destroyed and it was in the hanger.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

The whole colony is there to support an atmosphere processor.

Also, Nostromo is the big mining ship from the first movie, Sulaco is the marine ship from the second.

Fun fact: the Sulaco model was an embellished space marine rifle. And although corporal Hicks described said rifles as caseless they sprayed cases like whoah.
Yes, I know the colony in Aliens is there to support the huge processor. In Alien there is evidence of an already existing atmosphere due the presence of wind and storms. It's entirely possible the atmosphere is toxic to humans or too cold or too low in oxygen, but the existence of weather indicates that there is already air pressure. Which is what I was responding to from the post above.

Phanatic said that oxygen won't keep you alive in a vacuum, which is true, but LV426 isn't in a vacuum in the first movie. It's a hostile environment, yes. But not a vacuum. Therefore there would be air pressure even if that air is low in oxygen or loaded with hydrocarbons or whatever.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

syscall girl posted:

The swarthiness of orcs was made hell of apparent when I first saw Fellowship. They were shooting at the whitest of the white from the trees while the fellowship rode in canoes like they were Lewis, Clark and company.

I think I noticed it in the books when I was a kid too.

I'm not sure the movie was really that bad. You could see that situation in any number of ways.

The books though were completely racist though. Just look at where Sauron's armies came from.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Oh yeah the movies are loving fantastic

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Depressio111117 posted:

I PLAY DND TOO!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My IIMM was about buying it at all. I was in the Columbia House DVD club, and had to buy something from them to finish off my membership, and that was all I could find that I might have been interested in. It cost me like 35 bucks.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Watched Spectre last night and was IIMM'd when Mr Hinx kills the dude at the Spectre meeting in Rome to show his "credentials".

They had one agent position to fill (Sciara's) but now they have to replace the dead dude as well. Hope there's someone who knows what's what in his office.

Plus they'll have to get someone to take over Mr Hinx's position. Being an evil HR supervisor must suck.

Also, they seemed to make a deal about Hinx's thumbnails - ooh, must be his gimmick!

But no, we don't see them again, not even for an ironic death where Bond turns his gimmick back on him.

Boo.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Memento posted:

Maybe they need a big hangar to manoeuvre tanks around or something. I dunno. Maybe it's just a case of "might as well". And I'm sure the CM might evac civilians sometimes. Or take away xeno corpses. Or something.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

bobkatt013 posted:

The Nostromo was just hauling poo poo. Remember they were bitching about their cut of the profits?

I got my spaceships confused, the Sulaco is the ship in the second one :downs:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Depressio111117 posted:

I like if too :unsmith:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
You could always play off the size of the Sulaco as a jab at American excess. Does it NEED to be this big? We're just carrying 14 people. :clint: - Does America NEED to be great? Of course it does, son!

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

Watched Spectre last night and was IIMM'd when Mr Hinx kills the dude at the Spectre meeting in Rome to show his "credentials".

They had one agent position to fill (Sciara's) but now they have to replace the dead dude as well. Hope there's someone who knows what's what in his office.

Plus they'll have to get someone to take over Mr Hinx's position. Being an evil HR supervisor must suck.

Also, they seemed to make a deal about Hinx's thumbnails - ooh, must be his gimmick!

But no, we don't see them again, not even for an ironic death where Bond turns his gimmick back on him.

Boo.

I'm pretty sure Hinx and the other guy were just contract killers auditioning for the job as spectre's premier assassin.

The thumbnail thing was really weird though, I definitely thought we would have seen more of that.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Perestroika posted:

So I'm watching The Tournament mostly because it's popped up on Netflix. They have Liam Cunningham (most recently known as Davos in Game of Thrones, but he also starred in Strike Back or Clash of the Titans, for example) as a kind of an accouncer, but for whatever reason they have him do some generic american accent. Half the fun in watching him is his awesome distinctive irish accent, but they just throw that away for seemingly no reason at all.

My uncle was in that :] good movie

Content : The first captain America movie (the first avenger) The CGI is godawful in some places, I still remember the bit where red skull is monologuing to his army with the camera behind his back and it looks like something out of a ps2 game.It's a good movie but the tone's all over the place, they wasted Hugo weaving just like they later wasted Chris eccleston In Thor.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Depressio111117 posted:

Len posted:

I like if too :unsmith:

Me, too v:shobon:v

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

My uncle was in that :] good movie

Content : The first captain America movie (the first avenger) The CGI is godawful in some places, I still remember the bit where red skull is monologuing to his army with the camera behind his back and it looks like something out of a ps2 game.It's a good movie but the tone's all over the place, they wasted Hugo weaving just like they later wasted Chris eccleston In Thor.

Ugh yeah. I didn't like First Avenger all that much the first time and I only like it now because it sets up so many important things for the movie universe.

That being said, Winter Soldier is my favorite spy thriller.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elissimpark posted:

Boo.

I kept waiting for him to come back later in the film, but nope. I guess he died at the train. Seemed too comical for such a big henchman to be his way to die. I'd love it if he showed up at the end and Bond was like "you AGAIN?"

Also I thought it was really weird how he killed him by poking his eyes out, but the guy didn't scream or fight back or anything. But then I guess it ended up being a thing because the villain goes on about how the guy knew he was dead already or whatever. But that just seems really silly and stupid and also complete bullshit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MariusLecter posted:

Mystery Men... when Smash Mouth starts playing I shoot myself.

https://nonplayablerecords.bandcamp.com/track/all-star-in-the-end

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

why

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:catstare:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Thank you.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
And yes there is vice versa: https://nonplayablerecords.bandcamp.com/track/all-star-in-the-end-reprise

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I wanted that to be a list of every movie that had allstar in the end.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So In the Heart of the Sea looks like a bomb.

Okay, so they released it a week before a movie 99% of the US is salivating to see. But it's a movie about loving whaling. Not even Thor can save that poo poo. Who the hell thought, after all the garbage from Blackfish and The Cove, that people wanted to see a movie where whaling is the way of life?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

So In the Heart of the Sea looks like a bomb.

Okay, so they released it a week before a movie 99% of the US is salivating to see. But it's a movie about loving whaling. Not even Thor can save that poo poo. Who the hell thought, after all the garbage from Blackfish and The Cove, that people wanted to see a movie where whaling is the way of life?

They literally depopulated a Galapagos island of all life, helping to drive a giant tortoise and mockingbird species extinct.

As a prank.

That whale was a loving hero.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would go see literally Thor whaling.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

They literally depopulated a Galapagos island of all life, helping to drive a giant tortoise and mockingbird species extinct.

As a prank.

That whale was a loving hero.

if the creatures on that island were fit to survive they'd have evolved guns.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elfgames posted:

if the creatures on that island were fit to survive they'd have evolved guns.

Not their fault their hitman couldn't finish the job :colbert:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I want to In the Heart of the Sea quite a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Is "In the Heart of the Sea" a verb now?