Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

The thing that breaks my brain is that I can't tell if this is serious or not because I have known nerds who would be really severely upset if a simple routine from their childhood was interrupted, even if it was as mundane as seeing Zelda OoT win best game ever. Even if this post were a joke, someone out there is damaged enough to be absolutely furious that a bunch of people like a different game and maybe want to encourage more developers to make unique games.

I've been seeing posts from multiple people talking about this goofy popularity contest being A War against Undertale fans in general for a while. poo poo's pretty funny, in a really sad way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
As a former GameFAQs poster I can assure you that GameFAQs posters get weirdly obsessive about poo poo that does not matter and very vocal about it.

These GameFAQs battles always ended up as FF7, OoT, Mario 64, and Chrono Trigger in the finals anyway. The last time anything interesting happened was 4chan rigging the vote towards L-block.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Sure, you may have followed Sementanks dot com on Facebook in order to keep informed about the best deals and sales on semen tanks, but you'll also appreciate their cutting-edge political commentary.

Yes, no one ever got arrested for being an illegal immigrant, and parents SHOULD be able to force their teenage daughters to give birth to an unwanted baby, undergoing months of discomfort, hours of agony and possibly a lifetime of emotional trauma.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Pastry of the Year posted:

Sure, you may have followed Sementanks dot com on Facebook in order to keep informed about the best deals and sales on semen tanks, but you'll also appreciate their cutting-edge political commentary.

I'm like, 99% sure that you need your parents permission to get an abortion (that's not medically necessary) if you're under 18, being that it's a medical procedure and all.

iirc, emancipated minors are the only ones who can do it without a parent present, unless the pregnancy is a threat to the mother's life, then a minor can get one without parental consent.

Unless it varies state to state, in which case ymmv.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Under the Trending section on the right side of Facebook, I found some public candidates for this thread:

The comments take it further down the rabbit hole.

The more they whine about it, the more it trends, and the more it is news. That guy is creating his own personal hell and is completely unaware of it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EZipperelli posted:

I'm like, 99% sure that you need your parents permission to get an abortion (that's not medically necessary) if you're under 18, being that it's a medical procedure and all.

iirc, emancipated minors are the only ones who can do it without a parent present, unless the pregnancy is a threat to the mother's life, then a minor can get one without parental consent.

I think some states allow minors to get birth control and abortions at clinics without the necessity of the parents even being informed.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
All of these old games aren't as amazing if you play through them again nowadays and are mostly just worshiped and voted as best-ever so that these internet nerds can validate their sense of nostalgia in lieu of developing an actual personality

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think some states allow minors to get birth control and abortions at clinics without the necessity of the parents even being informed.

In New York State, women age 15+ can get an abortion without parental consent. It's understood that the topic is controversial and that parental viewpoints could cause a woman to give birth to a baby she didn't want and wouldn't take good care of or could result in a woman losing her home if her parents found out she had gotten pregnant or aborted a child. Basically, the law allows that kind of anonymity before any other medical anonymity (to my knowledge, parents of minors have to consent to all other medical procedures in combination with a minor's assent) specifically because it's such a big issue. If we normalized abortions, that law wouldn't be necessary (although I doubt it'd ever be taken off the books completely as there's no reason for it other than to try and use parental pressure to de-incentivize abortions)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

More GameFAQs tears, please. TIA

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I didn't know what an undertale was or why it was so popular so I asked some dork friends of mine a while back. Nobody could describe it without gushing about Earthbound, so I'm guessing both sides of this dumb "debate" (read: "group of grown-rear end men screaming at each other on the Internet about which vidjagame is the bestest") are populated by insufferable people who are filled with rage because someone is challenging their nostalgic love of an old game.

(cue heckler from the audience: "The fact that it's on GameFAQs wasn't your first clue??!?!")

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I didn't know what an undertale was or why it was so popular so I asked some dork friends of mine a while back. Nobody could describe it without gushing about Earthbound, so I'm guessing both sides of this dumb "debate" (read: "group of grown-rear end men screaming at each other on the Internet about which vidjagame is the bestest") are populated by insufferable people filled with rage because someone is challenging their nostalgic love of an old game.

(cue heckler from the audience: "The fact that it's on GameFAQs wasn't your first clue??!?!")

It's a pretty well done indie game where you have the option of either murdering or befriending every enemy you come across in a sort of mini-shmup plus turn-based battle. It's earned its popularity, IMO, but it has also gotten a lot of hype from the usual fan types, which is super annoying. (It does have a lot of stuff stylistically lifted from niche games like Earthbound and Yume Nikki, but has its own spin on it, so it's not just a huge reference pile.) The one thing I'd warn about is it has some kind of tumblry humor, so that can get a little eyerolly on occasion. Mostly it's just a neat game.

So it's more that there's one side clinging to their childhood toys, and one side that's become a little overly evangelistic about their new favorite fad ever. (And also a fair amount of people who are voting just to spite the former group because they say funny things when they're angry.)

Granted there may be someone getting mad about things competing with UT, I just haven't seen it. I did see someone complaining that it's racist because the player character has squinty eyes and a warm skin tone, and there's a monster that's a tsundere joke. That was something.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I didn't know what an undertale was or why it was so popular so I asked some dork friends of mine a while back. Nobody could describe it without gushing about Earthbound, so I'm guessing both sides of this dumb "debate" (read: "group of grown-rear end men screaming at each other on the Internet about which vidjagame is the bestest") are populated by insufferable people who are filled with rage because someone is challenging their nostalgic love of an old game.

This isn't a "both sides are being dumb" kind of thing. Only one side is being dumb. And that side is gamers.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well Undertale does have a fat skeleton the fanbase have latched onto, so the fake post isn't exactly wrong...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Undertale is where the Homestuck fandom went.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I, too, would like to have sex with a human bean, but I'm afraid I would be really gassy in the morning.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hahahahaha someone's taken the cuck meme that far?!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Takoluka posted:

This is 100% true.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Did you know that if you replace some amount of letters in a word with some amount of different letters it sometimes makes a new word? :eng101:

Stupid concept aside, I'm still not even close to understanding what the intended meaning of this is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

Did you know that if you replace some amount of letters in a word with some amount of different letters it sometimes makes a new word? :eng101:

Stupid concept aside, I'm still not even close to understanding what the intended meaning of this is.

Health is a team effort

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

fullroundaction posted:

Corny as gently caress, but the message is good enough to get away with it.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

fullroundaction posted:

It means people are happier when they aren't alone.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Puntification posted:

It means people are happier when they aren't alone.

actually it means we are all wedweots

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

In New York State, women age 15+ can get an abortion without parental consent. It's understood that the topic is controversial and that parental viewpoints could cause a woman to give birth to a baby she didn't want and wouldn't take good care of or could result in a woman losing her home if her parents found out she had gotten pregnant or aborted a child. Basically, the law allows that kind of anonymity before any other medical anonymity (to my knowledge, parents of minors have to consent to all other medical procedures in combination with a minor's assent) specifically because it's such a big issue. If we normalized abortions, that law wouldn't be necessary (although I doubt it'd ever be taken off the books completely as there's no reason for it other than to try and use parental pressure to de-incentivize abortions)
There's also the awful reality that sometimes the parent of the person seeking an abortion is also the parent of the fetus.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Attitude Indicator posted:

actually it means we are all wedweots

Shoulda wrote wet too wemo.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

poptart_fairy posted:

I have a script trawling the forums at all times to let me know whenever Zoe Quinn is mentioned.

While inside of a culture or community, you're opinion can be wrong and right at the same time. Wat?

Here's why:

Let's compare 2 communities to prove the point. By no means is this intended to make a correlation to the samples. While an exteme and "trigger" opinion, it is simply used to show being wrong according to a community.

1. We'll use Germany as a base population and people inside of Germany who have the opinion that zoophillia is a good thing. (Again this is not to connect it with oot fans. Just using a community versus individual opinion. This just happens to be a clear example).

2. Now we'll say zelda fans are a population, and oot fans are a sample of sed population.

Now despite what the people who like zoophilia in germany, they are wrong in that it's a good thing according to Germany"s laws. While they have the right to their own opinion, it is viewed as wrong according to their population as a whole. Is their individual opinion wrong to themselves? Absolutely not. But it is wrong towards their community.

OoT fans cannot be wrong when they say they like it the best. However, to the population as a whole, they are wrong and have been "blinded by nostalgia" so to speak. According to the population as a whole, they are wrong, but individually they are right.

What I'm trying to say is, while OoT fans do have the right to their own opinions and I don't want to discredit their experiences, they are wrong on a population (community) level that they are in. Opinion wise indivually, they aren't wrong. But on an upper level while including all of the Zelda games they are.
---
The Void will never accept defeat.
The unknown puffbro81 on twitch. The unseen voidling is the deadliest.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Takoluka posted:

Puppy Time posted:

This is 100% true.

How do I join the War Against Undertale Fans

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

fullroundaction posted:

Please respond to this with something along the lines of 'This is great, when we band together as a society and vaccinate ourselves WE create a herd immunity and a healthier world for everyone to live in'. Mainly because I get the vibe the sort of person who likes these platitudes is also likely to be anti-vax.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

How do I join the War Against Undertale Fans

Seems like Gamergate has your back there.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

goose fleet posted:

All of these old games aren't as amazing if you play through them again nowadays and are mostly just worshiped and voted as best-ever so that these internet nerds can validate their sense of nostalgia in lieu of developing an actual personality

It's like gaming for a certain segment of the population stops around 1997. That's nearly 20 years, and nothing good has come out then? There's a reason I associate obsession with old games (at the exclusion of newer games) with being giant manbabies.

And yea, a lot of older games are really loving slow. I bought Xenogears from PSN and it took nearly an hour and a half of running around to get into a fight. We put up with a lot of poo poo in the past.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

twistedmentat posted:

It's like gaming for a certain segment of the population stops around 1997. That's nearly 20 years, and nothing good has come out then? There's a reason I associate obsession with old games (at the exclusion of newer games) with being giant manbabies.

It's a good thing no other generation before ours stopped consuming media that was made after they were young and never defined the things they liked when they were teenagers as the only 'good' example of music / movies / etc while simultaneously decrying the new things that younger people liked as being terrible and not worthy of their attention.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Undertale is a mistake made by a small dog that was then sold for :10bux: on Steam. Among it's many mistakes- enough to put the Bush Administration to shame, lemme tell you- it suffers from random encounters, 'jokes' so funny they become memes, puns, and dog petting.

Its one redeeming factor is that its music is kinda ok a little.

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7WDFUcjWARU

It is also the current Fire Emblem: Awakening, the current Bioshock Infinite, the current Dark Souls. AKA the game that people like and won't shut up about ffs.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

EZipperelli posted:

Pregnancy is considered an "emancipating" diagnosis in most, if not all states. Same for most reproductive and sexual matters. This does not count as being "emancipated" in the sense that you are legally separated from your parents.

A parent's consent is not needed for any procedures or treatment relating to pregnancy or STDs. Also, parents do not have to be notified of the results without the minor's permission

If a pregnant minor needs to have her appendix removed, she would need her parents to consent to that. If she has a c-section, she could sign for herself.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I haven't played undertale but from what I've seen it seems ok and, at worst, inoffensive

that said, in response to any undertale chat in this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z36Xadupn5c

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The GameFAQs is coming from inside the thread!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Bideo games.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Why are people still allowed to discuss video games in here at all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr E posted:

Why are people still allowed to discuss video games in here at all.

Video games are a popular form of digital media, much like movies and music. All are frequently discussed on social media platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Undertale is a mistake made by a small dog that was then sold for :10bux: on Steam. Among it's many mistakes- enough to put the Bush Administration to shame, lemme tell you- it suffers from random encounters, 'jokes' so funny they become memes, puns, and dog petting.

Its one redeeming factor is that its music is kinda ok a little.

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7WDFUcjWARU

It is also the current Fire Emblem: Awakening, the current Bioshock Infinite, the current Dark Souls. AKA the game that people like and won't shut up about ffs.

could you review more video games for us in this here thread?