Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

prussian advisor posted:

Quick request:

I am going to see Force Awakens tomorrow night with someone who has never seen the original films. Needless to say there isn't enough time to watch the originals between then and now. Is there any sort of YouTube or video primer this thread would recommend to get her up to speed without burning her out on the material itself?

I say let them go in cold, the idea of Star Wars from the very beginning has been that it's an ongoing thing with recognizable enough archetypes that you can jump in at any time. It's what George would have wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

OK, just got back from a midnight screening here in NZ. Can we talk about the film yet or should I take my thoughts to the spoiler thread?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lampsacus posted:

OK, just got back from a midnight screening here in NZ. Can we talk about the film yet or should I take my thoughts to the spoiler thread?

Probably should wait about 48 hours.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lampsacus posted:

I don't see why not as long as you use spoiler tags.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I've seen the film and (not spoiling anything here) I was rather disappointed with the soundtrack. There was nothing really new and memorable in the music. Both the OT and the PT had very distinct music that stuck with me long afterwards. There was nothing like that in this latest movie. I had to check IMDB to confirm that John Williams actually scored this movie. It feels like all he did was recycle a few cues from the OT, and for that they could have hired any composer.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 16, 2015

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Kurzon posted:

I've seen the film and (not spoiling anything here) I was rather disappointed with the soundtrack. There was nothing really new and memorable in the music. Both the OT and the PT had very distinct music that stuck with me long afterwards. There was nothing like that in this latest movie. I had to check IMDB to confirm that John Williams actually scored this movie. It feels like all he did was recycle a few cues from the OT.
The X Wings had a noticable new theme I thoroughly enjoyed but other than that - yeah. Although I just saw it and am gushing over the whole thing oh my god yes everything was what I dreamed it would be + more

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

It's kinda annoying seeing how many goons in this thread are dismissing any positive review as "the movie is mediocre, people are deluding themselves." I mean, I have tempered expectations as well, but there comes a point where you can be too jaded.

Its just hard to forget how everyone reacted to Episode 1 with this same kind of guarded positivity that gradually gave way to the reality that most people did not enjoy the movie. I'm seeing a lot of "Hey, it was pretty drat good!" comments and its easy to read those in that same tone as all the people coming out of the theatre after Episode 1.

Its partially a J.J. Abrams thing too, his movies seem to invoke that reaction in people. Mission Impossible 3, Star Trek, Cloverfield, Super 8, they all are "pretty good" to "very good" depending on who you ask. People don't tend to have strong reactions to an Abrams movie.

I mean I'd be getting hyped if I was seeing stuff on the level of a Fury Road, where people are just making GBS threads themselves and not even able to type properly because they're so excited about what they just saw. But I was not expecting that, and that isn't what's happening.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're getting caught up in some sort of canon. I'm just talking about what's onscreen. In the narrative, we have two conflicting sets of imagery:

One is the Death Star as a purely spectral presence, a nightmarish vision of the future. Chewbacca is enslaved, all the plants are gone, etc. Luke and Han dispel this apocalyptic nightmare, and the people live happily on a planet that remains lush and green. In this view, the Death Star is a purely metaphorical space. We don't see the other prisoners because they don't exist. There is only the imagery of Leia huddled in the darkness.

On the other hand, the Death Star is a literal enemy 'country' that neighbors all the others, in the present. The Death Star can consequently stand in for any bad nation, from America to North Korea - and then you have this idea that there's no downside to killing everyone, because their population is better off dead. They're no more than drones, unlike us. That's the logic of the prequel Jedi, and of the Republic.

The result of this inconsistency is that you can have your cake and eat it too. Luke can blow up a country, but it's not fully 'real'. It's an abstraction, as in Ender's Game. There's a grey circle with a green line coming out of it.

Maybe I've just become desensitized to this kind of thing by watching too many action movies, but... what's the difference to what is usually done in action movies? I'm not trying to say that those movies are not making ideological statements, I just want some clarity how the depiction of the Death Star and your reading of it differs from, say, Zod and his doomsday machine in Man of Steel.

Danger posted:

The ideological statement is that the laborers and slaves on the death star are invisible.

All kinds of phantom menaces still going strong in the Empire.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Without spoiling anything, TFA is a fine addition to the Star Wars series. It's not perfect, but then again the OT wasn't perfect either (go rewatch it as an adult and you see TFA doesn't really suffer in comparison). If adult Star Wars fans think their childhood was ruined again, it's probably because their memories of the original movies have faded, and their tastes have matured thanks to having watched other, better movies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know the past year I have been wondering who killed GBS and why.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NeuroticErotica posted:

So... do you remember when SUPER 8 came out and everybody said it was the best of the Spielbergian rip-offs?

Can you remember anything from that movie?

This movie is even more JJ Abrams than that.

I remember plenty from that movie. I don't have any particular grudge against JJ Abrams.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

While I don't remember a ton about Super 8, I remember it being really enjoyable and the closest thing in years to something that felt like the movies I grew up watching in the 80s. It seems a film that's kind of been a bit forgotten about, but I don't recall many people having issues with it at least?

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

I'm going through the reviews snip-its that rotten tomatoes is posting and this one caught my eye:

quote:

The Star Wars movie for people who don't like Star Wars. Pure, old-school pleasure.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

It seems a film that's kind of been a bit forgotten about, but I don't recall many people having issues with it at least?

That's as good as a J.J. Abrams movie gets though. That's his ceiling as a director and he's never going to take the risk of going beyond that. A J.J. Abrams movie will always be entertaining yet ultimately forgettable.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

That's as good as a J.J. Abrams movie gets though. That's his ceiling as a director and he's never going to take the risk of going beyond that. A J.J. Abrams movie will always be entertaining yet ultimately forgettable.

People seem to remember ST09 to this day. Maybe forgettable isn't a terrible thing in that light.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I remember plenty from that movie. I don't have any particular grudge against JJ Abrams.

Same. Super 8 is an absolute blast.

I also love his Mission Impossible.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Kurzon posted:

I've seen the film and (not spoiling anything here) I was rather disappointed with the soundtrack. There was nothing really new and memorable in the music. Both the OT and the PT had very distinct music that stuck with me long afterwards. There was nothing like that in this latest movie. I had to check IMDB to confirm that John Williams actually scored this movie. It feels like all he did was recycle a few cues from the OT, and for that they could have hired any composer.

Whatever was playing at the beginning when Rey is exploring and then leaving the downed Imperial Destroyer (so probably her theme) was very good in my opinion. Otherwise, agreed.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Super 8 has tons of great moments. The opening scene alone is one of the more effective and memorable I've seen this decade. Not to mention Elle Fanning's fantastic performance and of course Kyle Chandler is awesome in general.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I heard that there's a scene where Luke Skywalker's head gets cut off and his body staggers around spraying blood out of its neck stump and some of it gets in Leia's mouth and she throws up and that makes everyone else throw up and they're all just slumping around vomiting while Luke's body twitches on the floor and then Rey shits herself. Anyway this movie sounds awesome.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The rear end Stooge posted:

I heard that there's a scene where Luke Skywalker's head gets cut off and his body staggers around spraying blood out of its neck stump and some of it gets in Leia's mouth and she throws up and that makes everyone else throw up and they're all just slumping around vomiting while Luke's body twitches on the floor and then Rey shits herself. Anyway this movie sounds awesome.

You're mixing this up with Hateful 8.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

and then Rey shits herself

I'm glad J.J. understood something about Star Wars

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

parara posted:

Whatever was playing at the beginning when Rey is exploring and then leaving the downed Imperial Destroyer (so probably her theme) was very good in my opinion. Otherwise, agreed.
Man, a new SW John Williams score was probably my most anticipated aspect of this whole endeavor. Expectations tempered!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zoran posted:

I'm glad J.J. understood something about Star Wars

Not unless someone steps in it he doesn't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kurzon posted:

Surprising, a film that appears to pander to people's childhood would not be very original.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

JJ Abrams is a fine director, his writing team just tends to be spotty.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Classic Oscar bait

Polkergeist
Sep 2, 2011

Slugworth posted:

Classic Oscar bait

What did Poe do?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

computer parts posted:

Surprising, a film that appears to pander to people's childhood would not be very original.
Without spoiling anything, there is actually a lot of truth to this.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lampsacus posted:

Please talk about the movie if you've seen it, just use spoilers. This is still a regular thread to discuss the movie.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I've often thought Lucas would have been better off if he had just continued ripping off Kurosawa films, like he did for the first Star wars. But actually, a rip off of Lone Wolf and Cub 1 & 2 (Shogun Assassin), which wouldn't be too far from what you're describing, would also have been pretty fun.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Deakul posted:

And what people touting Kasdan tend to forget (or not realize due to popular misconceptions) is that he relied on George Lucas to come up with the stories for the previous two Star Wars films he worked on (and Raiders). So it's not surprising if the same holds true, in a sense, for this film. Not to say that was necessarily up to Kasdan--or J.J., for that matter.

I"m sure it'll be a perfectly enjoyable film, though.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Has this been discussed here yet?

This lady's argument is incredibly ignorant and it's quite clear she hasn't actually seen these movies - especially the prequels, where Anakin (pre-Darth Vader aka Darth Blackface) slaughters a bunch of young padawan children.

Fox News posted:

The TV personality went on a rant about how when "Star Wars" villain Darth Vader was evil, he appeared as a black character (apparently because he was voiced by an African-American actor), but when he turned towards the light, he was revealed to be white.

"Yeah, like, the part where [Darth Vader] was totally a black guy whose name basically was James Earl Jones...but while he was black, he was terrible and bad and awful and used to cut off white men's hands, and didn't, you know, actually claim his son," she said on her MSNBC show.

Source URL: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/12/14/msnbc-host-melissa-harris-perry-star-wars-darth-vader/

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Has this been discussed here yet?

This lady's argument is incredibly ignorant and it's quite clear she hasn't actually seen these movies - especially the prequels, where Anakin (pre-Darth Vader aka Darth Blackface) slaughters a bunch of young padawan children.

Source URL: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/12/14/msnbc-host-melissa-harris-perry-star-wars-darth-vader/

Yes, it's incredibly dumb, and basically the equivalent of saying that being afraid of the dark is racist.

MGTen
Aug 9, 2008
Still not as dumb of an interpretation as that "Jar Jar is a Sith Master" nonsense.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Isn't that a Kevin Smith bit?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Deakul posted:

I unironically wish Lindelof had written the new Star Wars

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Isn't that a Kevin Smith bit?

Yeah, it's from Chasing Amy.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Frackie Robinson posted:

I unironically wish Lindelof had written the new Star Wars

I despise Lindenlof, but somehow him writing Star Wars kinda makes sense...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
First ~third(?) of the film was amazing. The rest had some pacing issues and a couple of 'holywood superhero/action movie' moments which were a bit dumb.

Interested to see the next part but i'd probably personally rank them as:

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
The Clones Wars

It might grow on me, will probably rewatch it in cinemas but it isn't something i'd see again right away, might even wait for it to hit other media before a rewatch, not sure.

Edit: BB-8 is the best.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Saw this, it was okay. They gave us a free bag of candy.

• Locked thread