Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

.....but enough about real life, haha. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Instadeath is just utter poo poo.

I'm currently playing the Uncharted remake thing and in Uncharted 2 there is so much instadeath that it is silly.

The amount of checkpoints I've had to retry because I got killed by the instadeath "bit" in a level is awful.

gently caress you. Give me a chance to react and use my actual skill to avoid having to restart something with the "knowledge" of the bit that kills you just because. Terrible game design.

Edit: Seriously, empty a clip and a half into a guy from behind and he just turns around and kills you in one hit. This is pathetic. Who playtested this?

spudsbuckley has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Dec 14, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uh, several million people.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Cleretic posted:

Guess what? It's 'complain about Fallout 4 time' again! I'll admit they did a lot right, but this main quest is just so shoddily constructed that it lets the rest of the game down. By a lot.

So I'm now at a point in the main quest where they force you to align with one of the major factions. They're clearly trying to learn from New Vegas here by offering three very distinctly different groups, which is nice because that was a really good part of New Vegas' story, but they've hosed up in both of the ways New Vegas made it work.

1. All these factions suck. New Vegas made it work by making all three of the major forces very viable choices, with both upsides and downsides that can compel you to either side with or go against them depending on how you feel; the NCR is democratic yet overstretched, the Legion is (supposed to be) authoritarian and fascistic yet remarkably lawful, and House has kept New Vegas in its sovereign state ever since the bombs for better or worse. 4, in comparison, has utterly failed at that; the Minutemen and the Railroad are very slightly different brands of well-meaning yet ineffectual freedom-fighters, and the Brotherhood is just a better-equipped version of the same. I know I'll be able to side with the Institute later, but that doesn't help me now, and they haven't exactly been putting forward the best case thus far either.

And 2. They forgot the most important part of New Vegas' faction setup: Yes Man. The in-built and totally viable option to say 'no, all of these options are wrong and I'm not taking any'. Even if you ultimately want to go with the Institute you're still forced to get help from one of the three freedom-fighter factions, and even there you're just trading in straight-up heroism for siding with the obvious bad guys (that actually have a remarkably similar M.O. to the Brotherhood anyway; the Institute are just sneakier). With every faction being basically the same, we could really use a way to say 'yeah I'm actually not all that into heroism with laser beams, I'm gonna do my own thing'. The worst part is that there's actually a perfect setup to do that: you're going to them to get help in building a teleportation relay, but you have the plans for the relay. It is theoretically possible that you could do this yourself, given you do the actual construction work anyway, but gently caress you, go choose between the lovely identical factions they wrote.

The Brotherhood are a bunch of lame-os who are so annoying with their "TECHNOLOGY" speeches.

The railroad realistically won't be able to do anything because it's like, 7 people, and the only reason they got anywhere is because I did everything for them.

Minutemen... I don't even know what their point was except the first mission, and then to annoy me with "X settlement is under attack!!!" every few minutes, and force me to listen to that awful song on repeat at The Castle.

I'm an rear end in a top hat because I like the idea of replacing people with synths so I thought the Institute was cool and sided with them, but why is there no option to blow the poo poo out of the whole commonwealth? The other endings let you blow the institute up in a big rear end explosion, why can't the institute ending involve blowing everything else in a huge explosion (yes I know I blew up the Prydwen and it was AWESOME). But as leader of the Institute, I would have liked to have leadership options, like killing everything that exists. ... and then replacing it with awesome synths.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Phlegmish posted:

That's just the Witcher II in general, that game has a really bizarre difficulty curve. The most challenging non-boss fight in the entire game for me was in the goddamn prologue where you have to fight five dudes and you have almost no abilities. I died dozens and dozens of times in Chapter I, whereas in the later two chapters I rarely died and was able to beat the final two boss fights just by button mashing.

That said, still preferable to Bethesda-style level scaling since at least you get that sense of progression.

Personally, the hardest part of the game for me was the last sidequest, where you go into the sewers to find Dearhenna's hideout. I must have died 10 times in that small room with the three rotfiends, and then 4 more to the Adelbert and whats-her-face fight. After I finished that quest, I didn't get killed once, not even by the final boss.

The difficulty curve in the third game is scarcely better, because I found 5 level 15 Nilfgaardian troops chilling on the main road near where you enter Velen as a level 6 character. I lost a bunch of stuff in the southwest of Velen because I hadn't saved in a while and a griffin came out of nowhere and oneshotted me.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The Institute was annoying because at several points during their quests and interactions I had to stop and ask myself why those alleged super smart science people didn't know how basic science works or why their plans and schemes were completely retarded. Obviously the answer is bad writing but it just completely takes you out of the game when the writers can't be arsed to put some research into their science faction.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Inco posted:

Personally, the hardest part of the game for me was the last sidequest, where you go into the sewers to find Dearhenna's hideout. I must have died 10 times in that small room with the three rotfiends, and then 4 more to the Adelbert and whats-her-face fight. After I finished that quest, I didn't get killed once, not even by the final boss.

I was worried for a moment because I had no idea what you were talking about, but apparently that's a quest that only shows up if you take Iorveth's path. Yeah, in general Chapter III is the easiest part of the game, that final fight against Letho they give you a bunch of space, so you can just cast Aard on him, get in a few hits if it's effective, and when he recovers you just do your ridiculous 'dodge' 500 m in the opposite direction.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

.....but enough about real life, haha. :D

Haha

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Dec 14, 2015

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Cleretic posted:

Guess what? It's 'complain about Fallout 4 time' again! I'll admit they did a lot right, but this main quest is just so shoddily constructed that it lets the rest of the game down. By a lot.

So I'm now at a point in the main quest where they force you to align with one of the major factions. They're clearly trying to learn from New Vegas here by offering three very distinctly different groups, which is nice because that was a really good part of New Vegas' story, but they've hosed up in both of the ways New Vegas made it work.

1. All these factions suck. New Vegas made it work by making all three of the major forces very viable choices, with both upsides and downsides that can compel you to either side with or go against them depending on how you feel; the NCR is democratic yet overstretched, the Legion is (supposed to be) authoritarian and fascistic yet remarkably lawful, and House has kept New Vegas in its sovereign state ever since the bombs for better or worse. 4, in comparison, has utterly failed at that; the Minutemen and the Railroad are very slightly different brands of well-meaning yet ineffectual freedom-fighters, and the Brotherhood is just a better-equipped version of the same. I know I'll be able to side with the Institute later, but that doesn't help me now, and they haven't exactly been putting forward the best case thus far either.

And 2. They forgot the most important part of New Vegas' faction setup: Yes Man. The in-built and totally viable option to say 'no, all of these options are wrong and I'm not taking any'. Even if you ultimately want to go with the Institute you're still forced to get help from one of the three freedom-fighter factions, and even there you're just trading in straight-up heroism for siding with the obvious bad guys (that actually have a remarkably similar M.O. to the Brotherhood anyway; the Institute are just sneakier). With every faction being basically the same, we could really use a way to say 'yeah I'm actually not all that into heroism with laser beams, I'm gonna do my own thing'. The worst part is that there's actually a perfect setup to do that: you're going to them to get help in building a teleportation relay, but you have the plans for the relay. It is theoretically possible that you could do this yourself, given you do the actual construction work anyway, but gently caress you, go choose between the lovely identical factions they wrote.

This was my biggest complaint about 3 - you could side with the Brotherhood, you could only slightly side with Enclave (but not really, even if you killed Brotherhood they didn't accept you), or you could kill them both and it didn't effect anything about the game in any real way.

"Your choices matter...lol no they don't," is consistently an annoying thing in many RPGs though so welp.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dishonoured flashes up a message when you enter combat for the first ever time telling you just to block in order to take the non-lethal route.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Shrine of Amana. :argh:

I know they patched it so that the Archdrake shots don't track you as well, but it's still a super obnoxious zone. At least it's pretty.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've done a lot of the bloodborne DLC, through killing maria and walking into the next area. While I'm enjoying parts of it, the whole thing really just feels strange and out of place, and it frustratingly preserves a lot of the flaws of the main game that they could have used the extra content to fix. Possibly my biggest complaint is everything just feels like it has way too drat much HP. The first main area is just sponge after sponge, capable of surviving multiple visceral attacks with 20 skill. You can get to the DLC very early in the game, at a point where you're probably using weapons between +4 and +6, so I went in with a +6 saw spear and soon stopped to grab a +7 chikage because my build is skill/bloodtinge. I was level 45-50 or so.

The damage I was taking from most enemies felt beatable but it was just a slog with their ridiculous amounts of health. It felt like From accidentally put in the numbers for NG+. Now my chikage is +9 but it still only feels like it's barely enough. It's very weird design because you can go into the DLC very early and you'll probably want to because you'll want to use the new weapons without already being at the very end of the game. Speaking of which:

Why the hell did they make so many strength weapons a second time? Bloodborne already desperately wanted you to be a strength build on your first playthrough and gave it way more options than arcane or bloodtinge, with skill weapons being a hair less scarce plentiful but generally hard to get early in the game and also hard to find on your own. But of the 7 primary weapons I've found so far, 5 have been strength-focused (and there's 2 strength-heavy guns too). I was glad to see they at least remembered other builds exist when I gratefully found the halberd pickaxe thing, but this was a seriously missed opportunity to even out the weapons.

I also found the aesthetics weirdly gratuitous and kind of stupid after what I've come to expect from the developer. Bloodborne's main content is creepy and hosed up as usual for From, but much of it is kept pretty subtle and it's surreal in ways that keep you guessing. But in the old hunters, there's just a goddamn river of blood filled with writing half-living corpses, and the area afterward is a laboratory filled with tortured and mutated people who were experimented on, screaming and begging to be killed. It's really overt and tonally dissonant with the rest of the game. And I don't even know what to say about the first boss (who is also a gratuitous meat-monster made out of miscellaneous body parts) randomly getting a giant loving anime sword that shoots lasers out of nowhere in the middle of that godawful fight. Most out-of-place and terrible-looking thing in either bloodborne or the souls games. What were they thinking.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
They were thinking that it would be a cool and good thing to do, and they were completely correct.

The funny part is that you're bitching about the single most iconic weapon in the entire Souls series.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bloodborne is not a souls game. The aesthetics have almost nothing in common.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

From puts that weapon in every game I think, from Dark Souls to King's Field to Armored Core.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neither does Armored Core. It's in there too. So's the Pile Driver. :v:

e: I don't think there was a Moonlight in Chromehounds though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's like the least important thing you can make that argument with.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Corponation posted:

From puts that weapon in every game I think, from Dark Souls to King's Field to Armored Core.

I don't think they put it in Lost Kingdoms, but maybe some worthless npc or random monster had it. Nothing for moonlight sword in there though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The fact that From uses that design in their other games has nothing to do with whether or not a giant laser-shooting anime sword looks out-of-place in a gothic horror van helsing-esque setting. It's a 100% subjective complaint with the aesthetics and drawing weird connections to other stuff the developer has made doesn't change how I'm going to view the game as a singular product. It's my opinion on the aesthetics and it might not look out-of-place at all to you. But to me, it was random and cheesy as gently caress and borderline fan servicey.

It's an incredibly small complaint with the DLC compared to the fact that half the time I am just not enjoying its content.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The fact that From uses that design in their other games has nothing to do with whether or not a giant laser-shooting anime sword looks out-of-place in a gothic horror van helsing-esque setting. It's a 100% subjective complaint with the aesthetics and drawing weird connections to other stuff the developer has made doesn't change how I'm going to view the game as a singular product. It's my opinion on the aesthetics and it might not look out-of-place at all to you. But to me, it was random and cheesy as gently caress and borderline fan servicey.

It's an incredibly small complaint with the DLC compared to the fact that half the time I am just not enjoying its content.

I disagree with you about the aesthetics, but opinions, blah blah. But I do wanna say, about the difficulty - just come back later. You can enter really early, but it's balanced around the same difficulty as endgame, like, about as hard as the nightmare of Mensis. I entered the DLC around level 80 and it was pretty smooth.

e: okay I'll say one thing about the aesthetics while trying to not be a sperg - if the moonlight sword shooting lasers bothers you, what about the amygdalas shooting giant lasers in the base game?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

If the laser beam sword bothers you, have you tried not using it?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It really sucks that there's only like one King's Field game playable in NA and it's from two console generations ago. I really wish From would throw their Playstation games on the PSN, there's precedent for untranslated foreign games there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Suitaru posted:

I disagree with you about the aesthetics, but opinions, blah blah. But I do wanna say, about the difficulty - just come back later. You can enter really early, but it's balanced around the same difficulty as endgame, like, about as hard as the nightmare of Mensis. I entered the DLC around level 80 and it was pretty smooth.

e: okay I'll say one thing about the aesthetics while trying to not be a sperg - if the moonlight sword shooting lasers bothers you, what about the amygdalas shooting giant lasers in the base game?

I haven't really thought through why exactly that bothers me and nothing in the base game does to that extent, but if I had to guess it's because those are not-well-understood cosmic horrors making contact with the world from somewhere else, so it seems less unusual for surreal things to happen around them. Whereas in the old hunters, you're fighting this gratuitous meat-monster and then halfway through the fight there's a random-rear end cutscene where your character ceases to exist and it gets a giant anime sword out of nowhere.

Ultimately it's just an aesthetic thing and probably a pretty arbitrary complaint when you get down to it.

quote:

I wanted to see the new weapons and be able to actually go through some of the game with them which is why I went in so early. Also why I was disappointed to find so little for my build when there's so much for strength builds already in the base game. The halberd pickaxe thing and the curved sword are pretty cool though.

Part of why I find the enemies' amount of health so confusing is that the items didn't seem very endgame. There were a lot of bloodstone shards and twin shards before there were a decent amount of chunks. But even comparing it to the nightmare of mensis, which is loaded with chunks, some of the enemies have three or four times as much health as some of mensis' enemies do. Like Gatling Gun Bastard and the giant tentacle face things.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

I disagree about the aesthetics, but I'm with you on the damage-sponge enemies. I was having a blast with Bloodborne at first, and I thought the main game was pretty tight but with a couple warts here and there. I was pumped to try NG+ only to find that pretty much nothing was different or better except that every enemy had their health tripled. I've been watching a playthrough of the Old Hunters and between the enemies and bosses it just looks annoying. The main conceit of BB's faster paced combat was that it would make things quicker and more visceral, but giving your enemies absurd HP completely negates that.

Disappointing, because I really liked the game overall.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I haven't really thought through why exactly that bothers me and nothing in the base game does to that extent, but if I had to guess it's because those are not-well-understood cosmic horrors making contact with the world from somewhere else, so it seems less unusual for surreal things to happen around them. Whereas in the old hunters, you're fighting this gratuitous meat-monster and then halfway through the fight there's a random-rear end cutscene where your character ceases to exist and it gets a giant anime sword out of nowhere.

actually, if you look closely, he has it on his back at the start of the fight, hence "you were at my side all along" :v: excuse the pedantry I can't help myself

Sounds like you use skill weapons on your current character since you mention the church pick and the saif. There are a couple more cool skill weapons, but they and almost all of the more exotic weapons/tools are placed near the end of the DLC. Unarguably a bummer, can't argue with that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Big problem I have with L- is that he screeches too fuckin' much. The first half of the fight is an unbearable cacophony of screaming and bad camera. The second half is fine and personally I think the bright green stands out really nicely in that fight, the lighting is gorgeous.

Also he has a leap attack from the ceiling that's an instant kill if you have under 30 vitality (which is a fair amount) and there's just no possible way you're gonna figure out his tells for when he drops from the ceiling without getting killed by it at least once. The tell is an audio cue, it's a quieter scream than his regular screaming -- not that there's any way you'd know. If you just spam rolls you might get lucky and avoid it but most likely you won't, and then you'll take counter damage and be really dead.

quote:

Bloodborne's main content is creepy and hosed up as usual for From, but much of it is kept pretty subtle and it's surreal in ways that keep you guessing.

Bloodborne is by far the least subtle about the dark stuff in the Souls games. I dunno, a river of blood and mutilated corpses doesn't seem out of place in a place called The Hunter's Nightmare. Push on though, dude, because the last zone of the DLC is some of the best stuff From's ever made.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Suitaru posted:

actually, if you look closely, he has it on his back at the start of the fight, hence "you were at my side all along" :v: excuse the pedantry I can't help myself

Sounds like you use skill weapons on your current character since you mention the church pick and the saif. There are a couple more cool skill weapons, but they and almost all of the more exotic weapons/tools are placed near the end of the DLC. Unarguably a bummer, can't argue with that.

The souls games did the same sort of poo poo. Focusing on one stat, strength dex or magic was as good or as painless as depended entirely on how early you could find something good, and for some builds you couldn't find anything good for a long while. Magic in particular is kind of hard to get ahold of anything good until a ways in. I mean it still blows but it's what From does.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have started replaying Final Fantasy VII on PSP and I just cannot understand why the chose those squashed awful character models for walking around and cutscenes when they had the battle sprites available.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Suitaru posted:

This is part of the problem, I read before it came out that there were something like 10 new weapons in the DLC and they certainly haven't all been strength focused, but the first 4 I found in a row were. The only one that actually seemed very skill-focused so far was well after off the boss, which as usual was a giant unfun spike in the difficulty curve.

This was one of the things I was referencing when I mentioned the DLC repeating the same flaws from the main game. There's generalist/strength-focused weapons all through the early game in bloodborne, but if you want a skill weapon then you're stuck with the cane for almost half the non-chalice dungeon content, and god help you if you're trying to go bloodtinge or arcane. The DLC dutifully copied that exact problem. It's just disappointing to see a great chance to fix some of bloodborne's problems with build diversity and weapon availability get thrown away.

RyokoTK posted:

Big problem I have with L- is that he screeches too fuckin' much. The first half of the fight is an unbearable cacophony of screaming and bad camera. The second half is fine and personally I think the bright green stands out really nicely in that fight, the lighting is gorgeous.

Also he has a leap attack from the ceiling that's an instant kill if you have under 30 vitality (which is a fair amount) and there's just no possible way you're gonna figure out his tells for when he drops from the ceiling without getting killed by it at least once. The tell is an audio cue, it's a quieter scream than his regular screaming -- not that there's any way you'd know. If you just spam rolls you might get lucky and avoid it but most likely you won't, and then you'll take counter damage and be really dead.

Yeah I didn't say much about the fight itself because I didn't want to write an entire essay complaining about bloodborne but here we are so here''s another problem copied from the main game. I frankly have no idea how the sound "design" on cleric beast and vicar ameliAAAAAAAAAAA made it into the final game but christ, I shouldn't have to mute the game on a boss fight just to protect my sanity. So my eyes just about rolled right out of my skull when the first boss in the DLC had the same problem, complete with miserable camera as usual.

There's plenty of other little problems like having two jumping attacks as you mentioned. Like with amygdala, these kinds of attacks are garbage design IMO because they will just about always launch the boss way out of the camera, forcing you to rely on luck or trial-and-error memorization to dodge. They're also often one-shot attacks which makes it even better when you slog through a sponge boss's thousands of HP, dodging one-shot after one-shot, and then get hit with that because you physically couldn't see it coming.

In the souls games and bloodborne I've always played by doing the whole game solo my first time, then opening it up to co-op after that. I broke that rule and summoned somebody to help with this fight because I just did not have the patience for its obnoxious design and weird balance. Luckily on the second co-op attempt I ended up with a ridiculously good japanese player who must have been putting out twice as much damage as me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Glukeose posted:

I disagree about the aesthetics, but I'm with you on the damage-sponge enemies. I was having a blast with Bloodborne at first, and I thought the main game was pretty tight but with a couple warts here and there. I was pumped to try NG+ only to find that pretty much nothing was different or better except that every enemy had their health tripled. I've been watching a playthrough of the Old Hunters and between the enemies and bosses it just looks annoying. The main conceit of BB's faster paced combat was that it would make things quicker and more visceral, but giving your enemies absurd HP completely negates that.

Disappointing, because I really liked the game overall.

Yeah, everything just had way too much hp in NG+, especially considering how quickly your damage tops out. I got to Rom and decided it just wasn't particularly fun to keep slogging through.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, everything just had way too much hp in NG+, especially considering how quickly your damage tops out. I got to Rom and decided it just wasn't particularly fun to keep slogging through.

Fallout 4 has this radiant quest system that, while it works better than Skyrims one, makes no loving sense at all.
Settlers are being attacked by some nearby ghouls and want you to clear them out of the location they are spawning from. Okay, but the location you say they are coming from is on the other side of the map - I seriously doubt packs of feral ghouls could be wandering intentionally and unharmed across the wasteland, avoiding the many dangers and detouring the rivers and towns and other settlements just to attack this particular settlement.

The same applies to raiders, although I can understand that raiders might be more specific in their targets, overlooking a nearby settlement in favour of a richer and less well guarded one further away.

There is one settlement in particular that comes to mind, I can't remembe the name but I do know it is directly across the road from a National Guard Training Facility, that is crawling with ghouls. As in the facility front doors are 50 metres away from the settlement. Those guys call me for help with ghouls attacking them from some place all the way over on the left side of the map, when I can see ghouls wandering around the backyard of this facility across the road behind the settler giving me the mission. Really, guy? Are you sure the ghouls are coming from waaaaay the gently caress over there, when you've got an infestation right on your doorstep that you don't seem to give a poo poo about?

Another thing that annoys me with settlers is they don't stay "safe". What I mean is, I construct them these lovely easily defended forts with guard posts and choke-points and gates, but the moment a raiding party appears outside the settlement they all open the gates and flood out, guns firing and trying to take cover behind trees and bushes when they could have just taken cover on the custom made and extremely effective battlements along my elevated walls. Why have choke points and kill boxes when the defenders don't defend, instead choosing to charge out of their safe haven to bring the fight to the enemy?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EmmyOk posted:

I have started replaying Final Fantasy VII on PSP and I just cannot understand why the chose those squashed awful character models for walking around and cutscenes when they had the battle sprites available.

I've got no idea why they're used for pre-rendered cutscenes, but with the field maps and such it's probably a low-poly performance thing. The battle arenas are pretty geometrically simple and don't have a lot of models in play, so they can be a lot heavier-duty in the models they do use. The field maps have a lot more potential characters and geometry on screen, so what is there has to be simpler. Remember this was made for the PS1, which wasn't exactly a juggernaut.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

princecoo posted:

Another thing that annoys me with settlers is they don't stay "safe". What I mean is, I construct them these lovely easily defended forts with guard posts and choke-points and gates, but the moment a raiding party appears outside the settlement they all open the gates and flood out, guns firing and trying to take cover behind trees and bushes when they could have just taken cover on the custom made and extremely effective battlements along my elevated walls. Why have choke points and kill boxes when the defenders don't defend, instead choosing to charge out of their safe haven to bring the fight to the enemy?

I haven't seen almost any raids since I guess my defense ratings are too high or something, so I don't know if this will fix the problem, but this mod lets you place guard post rugs and stuff to control exactly where your guards will stand. It probably won't do anything for people assigned to other jobs though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

EmmyOk posted:

i saw the trailer for the pc port of ff6 and it looks so weird to have sprites with no artifacting. everyone's so smoothed out like those emulators that average out a sprite's colors.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

...I shouldn't have to mute the game on a boss fight just to protect my sanity. So my eyes just about rolled right out of my skull when the first boss in the DLC had the same problem, complete with miserable camera as usual.

There's plenty of other little problems like having two jumping attacks as you mentioned...forcing you to rely on luck or trial-and-error memorization to dodge. They're also often one-shot attacks which makes it even better when you slog through a sponge boss's thousands of HP, dodging one-shot after one-shot, and then get hit with that because you physically couldn't see it coming.

Funnily enough, with Ludwig the jump attack is telegraphed and communicated by his screams. :v:

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Dec 16, 2015

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I can't find the video but some guys posted one where they slowed it down and Laurence and Ludwig and both speaking words during the screams. It's not just screaming.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think Laurence is screaming "forgive me" and Ludwig is screaming "kill me"

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

princecoo posted:

Fallout 4 has this radiant quest system that, while it works better than Skyrims one, makes no loving sense at all.
Settlers are being attacked by some nearby ghouls and want you to clear them out of the location they are spawning from. Okay, but the location you say they are coming from is on the other side of the map - I seriously doubt packs of feral ghouls could be wandering intentionally and unharmed across the wasteland, avoiding the many dangers and detouring the rivers and towns and other settlements just to attack this particular settlement.

The same applies to raiders, although I can understand that raiders might be more specific in their targets, overlooking a nearby settlement in favour of a richer and less well guarded one further away.

There is one settlement in particular that comes to mind, I can't remembe the name but I do know it is directly across the road from a National Guard Training Facility, that is crawling with ghouls. As in the facility front doors are 50 metres away from the settlement. Those guys call me for help with ghouls attacking them from some place all the way over on the left side of the map, when I can see ghouls wandering around the backyard of this facility across the road behind the settler giving me the mission. Really, guy? Are you sure the ghouls are coming from waaaaay the gently caress over there, when you've got an infestation right on your doorstep that you don't seem to give a poo poo about?

Speaking of it always bugs me when someone gets kidnapped by something that's not Raiders. I can't even see Gunners taking someone for ransom but when Supermutants do it? Yeah I can see them taking someone alive but they won't be alive for long and also they're not the kind to ask for ransom. Also you managed to get kidnapped from a village that has a guard tower with literally 30 missile turrets on it what the gently caress? I've seen raids on my towns even when they come in force they get creamed within seconds, there's no way someone was taken from there. It is a sight to behold though when some random hostile creature wanders into range and the entire countryside explodes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

i saw the trailer for the pc port of ff6 and it looks so weird to have sprites with no artifacting. everyone's so smoothed out like those emulators that average out a sprite's colors.
I'm looking forward to PS1/N64-era polygons being used for indie retrogames like 8 and 16-bit sprites.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
FO4 has a lot of issues, and I can merrily ignore most of them, two in particular have really started to grate on me.

The first is CHA checks for XP and its only to be an rear end in a top hat. It's really easy XP, even if your CHA is poo poo you can wear a hat, shades, a nice suit or underwear, and pop some mentats. My issue is it has solely used to be an rear end in a top hat, get more money, or to pry more information out of someone. even if you think you are doing a good thing, I guarantee in the end its a bigger rear end in a top hat option then choosing the button on the right.

My second bitch is doing the main missions. I wanted to just plow through one of what seemed the main story lines (minutemen) but now the missions are looping. I've saved the same loving kid three times now. I assume I need to do one of the other main story lines, so while I'm off trying to find my idiotic kid I keep having to do these stupid times missions or face the loss. I even tried not turning in the mission, it works for a while then just auto-turns it in for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just realized a lot of the right and bottom edge of the map in fallout 4 is just ocean so there's nothing there. It's still a very big world but deceptively smaller than it looked. New vegas had something similar IIRC where there were impassible mountains around the edge of the world that made it smaller than it looked.