Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The newer turbo mercedes are deceptively quick.

Even at 5600lbs, motor trend ran 14.7@94.6mph with one. That's faster than the focus ST. which ran 14.8@94.3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The best part was the additional student driver stickers wrapping around both sides and the front.

WARNING: TEENAGER

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
At least it's a heads up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

The newer turbo mercedes are deceptively quick.

Even at 5600lbs, motor trend ran 14.7@94.6mph with one. That's faster than the focus ST. which ran 14.8@94.3

Oh gently caress yeah, even the diesels are pretty snappy. Also:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If that kid ever puts the hammer down it'll be the first time anyone ever has in a GL450.

I have, as has my Dad (well, the Bluetec at least). It kicks rear end. I prefer handling over space, having no need for a lot of space, but I can certainly see why people like the GL and ML.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My Dad's got a Bluetec E320, and that thing moves pretty drat quick when you hammer it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I learned to drive in a 1973 Datsun 610 station wagon that was still new when I learned. The unsexiest of all cars.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Everyone should learn how to drive in a 60s-era pickup with a sloppy three-on-the-tree, a straight-six and no power steering. That'll put some hair on your chest.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I got my initial lessons split between an ES300 and the MSP I now daily drive (and took my test in the Lexus), but I mostly cut my chops driving my dad's truck, a 94 Ram 2500 with the V10. 8 liters, 310hp and 450 lb*ft, which is embarrassingly close to the 240/420 out of the current 3L ecodiesel :laffo: And it was a king cab (because it partly served family hauler duty and this was before quad cabs were really ubiquitous) with an 8-foot bed (because it was also a legit work truck), so maneuvering it was an adventure for a new driver.

I remember being really impressed the first time I ever saw him take it all the way up to 90mph. Such an innocent time. :allears:

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Shortly after saving it from going to the junkyard, I took a 94 F150 to 90 mph when the throttle body stuck open after cresting a steep hill. Called the PO (my dad) and asked if that had ever happened before: "oh yeah I forgot to mention that." Thaaaaaanks.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Everyone should learn how to drive in a 60s-era pickup with a sloppy three-on-the-tree, a straight-six and no power steering. That'll put some hair on your chest.

My first personally owned car was a 72 Chevy Nova with the 250 I6 and three on the tree. God it was fun to drive.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

As far as gutless vehicles to learn on, one of the first cars I drove was a 1980's Isuzu I-mark diesel with 51 horsepower. Slip the clutch however you like, it wouldn't even try to bark the 155/80 tires.

It was like a Beetle with a heater that worked. Probably just as unsafe, too.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 14, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My first personally owned car was a 72 Chevy Nova with the 250 I6 and three on the tree. God it was fun to drive.

Are...you my dad

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Just saw a cyclist nearly get pasted because some chucklefuck in a Subaru didn't look for cross traffic before pulling out from a parking lot. She had to slam on the brakes to avoid going right into the side of the Subaru. Right in broad daylight with good road conditions.

Fucker shouldn't have a license.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Guy in an older RAV4 came barreling into the parking lot of the apartment complex I live in last night as I was heading out to the store. Tried to cut his left turn too sharp and drat near hit me head on, all because he wanted to try to beat a car coming the opposite direction, because waiting all of 5 seconds is unacceptable I guess. He almost got his passenger side smashed in, thank gently caress the person coming the other way was going slow enough to react. I don't even think he lives in the complex at all, never saw his car around there before yesterday.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

My learnin' cars were a'46 Willys jeep with lovely brakes, '63 Chev pickup 283 three on the tree, '64 Olds f-85 (330 V8 and 2 speed auto), '63 ChevyII 3 on the tree I-6, '68 Ford Galaxie 500 with a 289 windsorm and a '69 Dodge dart 225 slant six with no working gauges. It was kinda weird growing up when the family cars changed constantly but I have some confidence in driving just about anything with wheels and an engine.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
1993 Ford Aerostar minivan was my learner.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
1983 Ranger.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Mandingo posted:

1993 Ford Aerostar minivan was my learner.
"I had to sell my Mustang and get this instead thanks to you, you little poo poo, you're drat well going to suffer it too"

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
85 Volvo wagon, 90ish Peugeot sedan, Saab 9000, and my first car the 96 Civic DX. In that order. Took the test in the Saab then totaled it in a parking lot the first time I ever drove in the snow. Hit a island that didn't have a tree in it because I couldn't see the snow sloped upwards slightly to indicate a curb. Goodbye oil pan and airbags.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

1989 Ford Taurus. Every car after that has felt like a loving Ferrari in comparison.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I learned on a 96 F150 with a stick. My first 4 wheeled vehicle was a 1971 Ford E250 or 260 or something. The 3/4 ton with the 302 option. It caught fire going down the road.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
1981 Datsun 510 with a dog leg transmission.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I learned in a 2004 Kia minivan, then later a 2008 Sonata which I took the test in. I take it I had it easy.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PenisMonkey posted:

I learned on a 96 F150 with a stick. My first 4 wheeled vehicle was a 1971 Ford E250 or 260 or something. The 3/4 ton with the 302 option. It caught fire going down the road.

Yeah you mentioned it was a Ford, that was a given

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
To be fair it had an oil leak for 20 years. Friend and myself changed the main seals (not fun on a van) but the doghouse was still shot. And someone put headers on it so it was bound to happen. I got my $500 worth.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PenisMonkey posted:

To be fair it had an oil leak for 20 years. Friend and myself changed the main seals (not fun on a van) but the doghouse was still shot. And someone put headers on it so it was bound to happen. I got my $500 worth.

... Again, you mentioned it was a Ford. ;)

Going up an on-ramp to a bridge with a merge lane from the right tonight, someone came shooting up the merge lane and decided he wanted to be in front of me, despite me being there, so he came up my side close enough that he actually hit my elbow with his mirror (Don't worry, I didn't punch it off or anything, but I did tap the top of it and give a "What gives" shrug at him) and inched forward trying to push in front of me up to the bumper of the car I was behind.

Now, I'm an rear end in a top hat of the highest caliber, so this wasn't going to happen. I kept even with his front bumper until we got on the bridge, him not breaking his "I'm going to pass you" poo poo for a second, still tight up against my right side in my lane, so I kept at his speed right up onto the bridge where he had to make the choice of 1) Drop back, 2) Hit a jersey barrier on his right as the merge lane tapered off, 3) Hit me in stop and go traffic and have nowhere to go, 4) Implode up his own rear end in a top hat. Sadly he chose 1, not 4, and rode my rear end across the bridge with his high beams on (in broad daylight, it was as barely noticeable as you can imagine). For the first 30-40 seconds of all of this, there was absolutely nobody behind me blocking him from just merging in behind like he should have, he just absolutely had to be in front of me for some reason.

We're the people you share the road with.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Are...you my dad

I sure as poo poo hope not.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Familiar Foreigner posted:

Driving larger vehicles makes it easier to drive small ones later.
Agreed. I learned mostly in a F-150 SuperCrew so when I took my test in a borrowed Buick Regal it was like I had all the space in the world to do the maneuverability test. With that, a Crown Vic, and a few RVs in my driving history my current Fiesta daily feels like cheating any time things get tight.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I learned to drive, and took my test, in a '74 Ford F-250.

One of my first cars to drive regularly was an old Buick of my aunts (I couldn't even tell you the model) with a manual 3-speed on the column. Grandpa also had a '65 Ford F-150 with a column manual.

My first 'full time' car that I got to use all the time was a '61 Ford Comet with a straight 6 and a 2-speed automatic. With a tail-wind and a bit of a downhill grade it could hit 70, but it felt like the world was coming to an end shortly after hitting 65. Thing had the coldest A/C I've ever experienced though, it would actually form ice frost all over the outside metal casing (it was a dealer installed under-dash unit).

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's dangerous to go outside, goddamn.

Waiting at a red light, some guy in a Chrysler 200 comes flying up my rear end, goes around me in my lane, and runs the red in front of me. Light turns green a couple seconds later, he's laying on his brakes doing 5 under down the hill and I catch up to him (though not too close) quickly, all I can smell is pot, and he's got the overhead light on, fiddling with something on the top of his steering wheel. We pulled up to the next red light, he turns the light off as he pulls up to it, cranks his rap up to "How do you have working ears?" levels, and takes off like a snail at the green.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Just finished up jury duty on a DUI case. Dude tried to cut across a lane of stopped traffic on the freeway while still at freeway+ speeds himself. Wasn't successful, dealt a glancing blow to a stopped Mercedes and put his own CRV on its roof. He's taken to the hospital, but fortunately, nobody is hurt badly. His lawyer apparently succeeded in getting the blood test suppressed and no field sobriety test was done. He thought that would be enough to cast reasonable doubt on his client’s guilt. Unfortunately for him, the prosecution still had 3 cops and 2 eyewitnesses to testify in various regards that the defendant looked, acted, and smelled drunk as gently caress. He seemed genuinely surprised we were able to convict on the basis of that testimony, but man, your client was seen driving erratically just before the accident, caused a serious high-delta-V accident by pulling a manouver that wasn't even close to legit, and everyone who came anywhere near him at the scene said he was lit. Shouldn't have been too much of a surprise.

Stay safe out there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

Just finished up jury duty on a DUI case. Dude tried to cut across a lane of stopped traffic on the freeway while still at freeway+ speeds himself. Wasn't successful, dealt a glancing blow to a stopped Mercedes and put his own CRV on its roof. He's taken to the hospital, but fortunately, nobody is hurt badly. His lawyer apparently succeeded in getting the blood test suppressed and no field sobriety test was done. He thought that would be enough to cast reasonable doubt on his client’s guilt. Unfortunately for him, the prosecution still had 3 cops and 2 eyewitnesses to testify in various regards that the defendant looked, acted, and smelled drunk as gently caress. He seemed genuinely surprised we were able to convict on the basis of that testimony, but man, your client was seen driving erratically just before the accident, caused a serious high-delta-V accident by pulling a manouver that wasn't even close to legit, and everyone who came anywhere near him at the scene said he was lit. Shouldn't have been too much of a surprise.

Stay safe out there.

Doing gods work.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Stay safe out there.

As someone who lost friends to a drunk driver, thanks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Stay safe out there.

Imagine I am posting an animated gif of someone clapping - but one that looks genuinely impressed/thankful and not sarcastic.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Stay safe out there.

Nice.

Assholes like that need nailed to the wall.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Stay safe out there.

Without the option of nailing them for dangerous driving and banning them for a year this is the best solution. Trying the get off for legal technicalities when he is as guilty as hell is not good.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Some folks came into the hospital where I work, drunk guy and 2 of the people he hit head on at ~70 mph. The other 2 people in the sober car were dead at the scene.

The dude had 3 previous DUI's. gently caress this gay earth.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Stay safe out there.

How did they get the blood test suppressed?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arcella posted:

The dude had 3 previous DUI's. gently caress this gay earth.

But what if the poor widdle guy has to drive to get to work? It would be so unfair to take his drivers' license away permanently and crush his car into a cube!

Drunk driving really pisses me off, especially as a fairly heavy drinker who has never, ever done it. It's really, really easy to avoid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

How did they get the blood test suppressed?

Don't know. The defense lawyer got really worked up when we asked about it after the trail was over, without actually answering the question. So I didn't press the point.