Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I don't think so but he's a small-time TV guy directing his first major effects-heavy movie, I wouldn't be surprised if he feels a bit overwhelmed / like they're gonna fire him any moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Probably some innocent dumb joke that everyone tells among friends that could really be misinterpreted outside that circle, especially when you're running an enormous Hollywood project

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Who comptrolled this most recent episode?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

The guy who would have answered that question with "episode of what"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What question?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Exactly.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Hey is Rob Schrab on this week's podcast?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Hey is Rob Schrab on this week's podcast?

Who's that?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is that the guy who's directing Bee Movie 2?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I think he's the guy that invented Kumailing

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Gotta keep on down, KEEP on down the road

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

thank yeeew

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Of all the gross, goon-y habits Dan has admitted falling into since the divorce, I think starting to drink Soylent is probably the saddest.

The guy can have his mannequin leg, but that poo poo is over the line.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Rob is a great contrast to Dan.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

joedevola posted:

Of all the gross, goon-y habits Dan has admitted falling into since the divorce, I think starting to drink Soylent is probably the saddest.

The guy can have his mannequin leg, but that poo poo is over the line.

Yeah I rolled my eyes at that too.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Was that in the latest episode? I think I turned it off when he brought another Guy With A Medical Condition He Met At The Bar up.

CornbeefAndCabbage
Feb 20, 2006
Spin round' the carousel
I want to start listening to this, but from what I'm reading here it's pretty hit and miss. Is there a recommended starting/ending point? guests to avoid/seek out?

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Honestly, I would just start at the beginning. Some of the posters here are tremendous babies, I don't think I ever found myself skipping a lot. Harmontown's charm is about it being pretty free-form, so it can be hit and miss sometimes.
But even the super annoying guests (like that bitcoin guy) can end up being pretty funny. Watching Jeff become increasingly hostile to a bad guest is always great.

That said, much of the tour was pretty good, the original DnD campaign was funny, Kumail is a great guest and Schrab is a goddamn national treasure.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Good ending points:

When they switch from d and d that's the nail in the coffin for that segment

After that the show stumbled along at decreased quality until The Event happens and then it turns into an uncomfortable nightmare as the guy who wrote monster house sinks deeper and feeper into a narcissistic, self-loathing depression that craters the shows tone

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

After that the show stumbled along at decreased quality until The Event happens and then it turns into an uncomfortable nightmare as the guy who wrote monster house sinks deeper and feeper into a narcissistic, self-loathing depression that craters the shows tone
No it's still good sometimes and on the positive side Erin isn't on it anymore so

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

No it's still good sometimes and on the positive side Erin isn't on it anymore so

Harmon's Divorce in Relation to Harmontown

Pros:
-More unhinged and self-destructive
-More mannequin and real doll talk
-More Rob Schrab
-Less Erin

Cons:
-Neither Spencer nor anyone else seems to enjoy Shadowrun

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Shadowrun always sucked. It's just too much for everyone.

I think almost all of the episodes are listenable if you're willing to skip through rap segments and whenever Dan is too drunk to function.

Less Erin is a definite improvement.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CornbeefAndCabbage posted:

I want to start listening to this, but from what I'm reading here it's pretty hit and miss. Is there a recommended starting/ending point? guests to avoid/seek out?

People in this thread like to poo poo on the show for some reason, it's still one of my favorite podcasts. I enjoy the shadowrun segments specifically because they don't know what they're doing. Also I thought Erin was fine, no worse than the randos from the audience. I would start at the beginning and keep listening, lots of fun and weird stuff.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Good point. The randos are also pretty bad.

It's not that people listen to the show just to poo poo on it. It's still really funny because Dan is funny and most of the guests are funny, but some of them are just terrible.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Their good episodes are among some of my all time favorite podcasts, and their bad episodes are really loving bad, though there aren't too many of the latter category, IMO.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

CornbeefAndCabbage posted:

Each show is basically independent since you never know what Dan will show up at any time. Since it can be a bit topical just start listening then catch up when you feel like binging.

I don't think even being up to date with Shadowrun or DnD makes a difference since its usually different people playing the characters.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I've been listening to the show since like the 3rd episode and I think it's perfectly fine all the way through. There's amazing episodes on occasion and a couple that are terrible. It's what you'd expect from any improvised podcast.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Jeff's pretty honest about it...he says he's been doing bad improv for years.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Schrab needs to be there every week.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Brekelefuw posted:

Schrab needs to be there every week.
until Dan's Shadowrun character is the only one left alive

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah I got to admit I've been really liking shadowrun since they double downed on being terrible players. They've killed 2 receptionists for no reason.

"You're torn apart by gun fire"

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

A few episodes back when Rob Schrabs character drunkely walked into the toilet with Dan and ranting about "oh wow, man, this adventure you know? man? wow-wee. sure is an adventure all right" *mimes washing hands* and Dan figuring out it's Demorge Browns stoic character had me rolling

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I got to admit I've been really liking shadowrun since they double downed on being terrible players. They've killed 2 receptionists for no reason.

"You're torn apart by gun fire"

I think you only thought they were trying to be good shadow runners. The secret is they've been terrible the whole time!

Zsinjeh posted:

A few episodes back when Rob Schrabs character drunkely walked into the toilet with Dan and ranting about "oh wow, man, this adventure you know? man? wow-wee. sure is an adventure all right" *mimes washing hands* and Dan figuring out it's Demorge Browns stoic character had me rolling

"What's this? A map on the back of this bar of soap?"

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
This is the reason to continue listening to/watching Harmontown:

Dan getting more and more frustrated because he can't quite articulate what he wants to properly, then getting poked and prodded by Schrab, who proceeds to put on this air of childlike innocence. The man just wants some CHIIIOPSSS.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty good show for awhile and then "hey let's talk to someone who's clinically depressed!"

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty good show for awhile and then "hey let's talk to someone who's clinically depressed!"

Yeah, I've lately started skipping forward whenever he starts talking to people about their medical conditions.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah, I've lately started skipping forward whenever he starts talking to people about their medical conditions.

I mean, I'm absolutely pulling for Sikh Donnelly to get better and have a good life, but...

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Oh he does that again? Its such a show killer

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I have been keeping my Disney infinity base all wrong all this time! Informative episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

Inkspot posted:

The man just wants some CHIIIOPSSS.

God, when Schrab was asking that girl if she's ever laughed like this: HUAH HUAH HUAH HUAH HUAH! no matter how much she complained about her life...

Also it's been interesting seeing what Dan's like when he's single and doesn't have to hide how much he loves hating himself and vigorously masturbating on mannequins like an infinitely lazy and flabby Patrick Bateman.

If the goon above is really interested in starting out go early-- something with Kumail, maybe just after their tour. Go back to the tour if you like it. There's some iffy episodes, where you hear Dan and Erin fighting and it feels like you're third wheeling with your two squabbling friends on a two hour long car ride.