Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

mcmagic posted:

It's really come to the point where if you use the phrase "social justice" you're just a moron.

Well then I am going to have to get a whole new set of business cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

The problem with the modern Democratic Party is that it just doesn't pander to white men enough.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I think we may have been trolled.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Not that it matters much this year, but the omnibus contains the #SledFreeOrDie provision, making this legal:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What a lovely hill to sled/die on.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mr Hootington posted:

Nah most democrats are too. Replace foreign boogeyman with the latest social justice hot topic.

Are you going to roll back on this statement too and blame it on being drunk (at 9:30 in the morning)?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Not that it matters much this year, but the omnibus contains the #SledFreeOrDie provision, making this legal:

I once got accosted by an officer on horseback while crossing the Capitol grounds so frankly, finally, Congress is looking out for the little guy: me.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

mcmagic posted:

My main takeaway from last night is that we're a nation of scared little babies who's attention span on the issues that really matter in the day to day lives of most of us basically lasts till the latest foreign boogyman shows up. It's kinda pathetic.

In a nation obsessed with self help I don't understand how there isn't space in the bootstraps party for a tony robbins style candidate who tells us all to stop being pussies and make something of ourselves.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

It really needs to snow up here. This 60 degree weather sucks.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Blow it out your rear end. The SCOTUS is literally attempting to roll back the Civil Rights Era, this is the made up bullshit.

Was anybody really surprised to find out that accelerationism is the petulant fantasy of middle-class white men who are confident they won't suffer too much from Republican policies and might even benefit a bit? It seems more like an excuse to vote for the policies they actually want anyway. I don't see anyone whose cancer-stricken wife only has insurance because of mandatory issue voting to end it to teach people a lesson.

The last time we discredited fascism it took the deaths of millions and millions of people and the complete destruction and dismemberment of the fascist country, something accelerationists don't seriously believe will happen here or happen to them, even if they tell themselves that discrediting Republicans is what they're doing by voting for them.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'll add a key difference between now and your history lesson: nuclear weapons.

The rear end in a top hat who wins the GOP primary has a significant shot at commanding an arsenal of nuclear weapons capable of at least a mass extinction if not ending all life.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

It really needs to snow up here. This 60 degree weather sucks.

Shhhhhhhh. El Niño is watching. :tinfoil:

Doctor Butts posted:

What a lovely hill to sled/die on.

99% of the fun seemed to be the whole "gently caress THE FEDS" aspect of it all, as far as I can tell. It'd be hilarious if people stop now that it's legal.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Combed Thunderclap posted:

99% of the fun seemed to be the whole "gently caress THE FEDS" aspect of it all, as far as I can tell. It'd be hilarious if people stop now that it's legal.

False. 99% of the fun is gravity.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Is there any biological reason why people like this (another example is shrekli) have to have the faces they do?

They aren't human, they are lizard people.

Jk - confirmation bias?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

False. 99% of the fun is gravity.

:monocle: Touché

Meanwhile...

"Jeb Bush has considered declaring he would not support Donald Trump as the GOP nominee."

oh boy looks like Trump's in trouble now :allears:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Are you going to roll back on this statement too and blame it on being drunk (at 9:30 in the morning)?

Nope. I think one of the major problems with the democrats is that it is made up of lots of groups of people that tend to focus on a single issue. I wonder sometimes if a group achieves its goal, they would break away from the democrat coalition.

I also feel that sometimes social issues are used as smoke and mirrors to distract people from bigger problems. Republicans do this with xenophobia, fear of change, and bigotry.

If the republicans were not morons, they would have peeled off one of the democrat coalition groups. Hispanics and immigration should have been the easiest to pry away.

I'm sure now I will be told I'm a moron and wrong. Please when you do so give me a reference as to why so I can read up on that and adjust my views if I agree with it.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

But... but... he raised his hand in the first debate, promising to support the eventual GOP nominee. :(

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'll add a key difference between now and your history lesson: nuclear weapons.

The rear end in a top hat who wins the GOP primary has a significant shot at commanding an arsenal of nuclear weapons capable of at least a mass extinction if not ending all life.

Yeah but we already let a guy whose brain had melted from Alzheimer's do that for a while and, while Reagan was terrible in nearly every way, global nuclear holocaust is not part of his legacy.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mr Hootington posted:

Nope. I think one of the major problems with the democrats is that it is made up of lots of groups of people that tend to focus on a single issue.

Far as I can tell this is actually pretty close to right if you hadn't written the rest of this post. The thing is, everyone thinks their pet issue is the most important one, and other people are heartless monsters for prioritizing others or not understanding theirs. It doesn't have to be the oppression olympics for people to hate each other over their priorities.

Republicans, meanwhile, don't seem to have that prioritization issue, probably because "no, period" is a lot easier to understand and relate to than "yes, and" or "yes, but." Somebody whose pet issue is anti-abortion doesn't hate somebody whose primary issue is ~~protecting the sanctity of marriage~~.

That said, social issues aren't "smoke and mirrors" because they are life-dominating for the tens or hundreds of millions of people they affect. That's the difference: no republican is even slightly affected by any of the social issues they are so worked up about, where for many leftists the issues are almost literally life and death.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cute!

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

What a loving idiot. Also that's quite the favorable view of Bush's debate performance by the author.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mr Hootington posted:

I also feel that sometimes social issues are used as smoke and mirrors to distract people from bigger problems.

Wanting your basic civil rights=Being deceived by smoke and mirrors :downs:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
No war but class war my brother

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

What a loving idiot. Also that's quite the favorable view of Bush's debate performance by the author.

It's Politico so they're sending the usual missives from the alternate universe where Jeb's still the Chosen One

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Nope. I think one of the major problems with the democrats is that it is made up of lots of groups of people that tend to focus on a single issue. I wonder sometimes if a group achieves its goal, they would break away from the democrat coalition.

I also feel that sometimes social issues are used as smoke and mirrors to distract people from bigger problems. Republicans do this with xenophobia, fear of change, and bigotry.

If the republicans were not morons, they would have peeled off one of the democrat coalition groups. Hispanics and immigration should have been the easiest to pry away.

I'm sure now I will be told I'm a moron and wrong. Please when you do so give me a reference as to why so I can read up on that and adjust my views if I agree with it.

I read somewhere that Muslim Americans were pretty consistently a republican demographic before 9/11 and the huge upswing of islamophobia. And I've noticed a lot of big name Asian Americans getting pissed at GOP bringing up the Japanese internment camps as a good idea to try again for Muslims. It really starts to seem that the GOP is systematically alienation any group that isn't white guys

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mitt Romney posted:

Hmm, yes, it's totally stupid for him to disavow supporting someone who's taking the party along a dark, dangerous road to full on interment camps and fascism-lite. :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Wanting your basic civil rights=Being deceived by smoke and mirrors :downs:

There's something to be said for how Americans pay way more attention to certain issues than others. Certainly rights for LGBT or abortion are very important issues, but for the vast majority of Americans, complicated issues of economics and regulation are going to affect their day to day life more than the hot button stuff. I think a lot of it is that people respond more to things that can be framed simply, and it's hard to boil the tax code down to issues of good vs evil.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

There's something to be said for how Americans pay way more attention to certain issues than others. Certainly rights for LGBT or abortion are very important issues, but for the vast majority of Americans, complicated issues of economics and regulation are going to affect their day to day life more than the hot button stuff. I think a lot of it is that people respond more to things that can be framed simply, and it's hard to boil the tax code down to issues of good vs evil.

Which is why it's so much more fun to talk about who's going to kill the most browns than how their awful, awful tax policies would work!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

This happens everywhere. There's a huge housing crisis in Sweden but instead of talking about that it's about how "economic refugees" are stealing their jobs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyway here's a gif of Trump meeting himself somehow?

computer parts posted:

This happens everywhere. There's a huge housing crisis in Sweden but instead of talking about that it's about how "economic refugees" are stealing their jobs.

I'm sure there's some famous communist saying about it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It is concerning that more than 60% of economic refugees in places like Australia and Sweden are unemployed 5 years after moving. You end up creating a permanent refugee class.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

hangedman1984 posted:

I read somewhere that Muslim Americans were pretty consistently a republican demographic before 9/11 and the huge upswing of islamophobia.

This article has been linked before on the subject, and remains a good read.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

shrike82 posted:

It is concerning that more than 60% of economic refugees in places like Australia and Sweden are unemployed 5 years after moving. You end up creating a permanent refugee class.

Who are then more likely to be taken in by radicals.

It's almost like refusing to allow people to integrate breeds the very thing you're supposedly wanting to stop!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

It's really come to the point where if you use the phrase "social justice" you're just a moron.

Eat poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgzkTp_41G4

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

Here's the full text of the omnibus. Enjoy all its delicious 2,009 pages.

CISA starts at p. 1728. No sign of a net neutrality enforcement ban.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

CISA starts at p. 1728. No sign of a net neutrality enforcement ban.

But reddit said!

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hmm, yes, it's totally stupid for him to disavow supporting someone who's taking the party along a dark, dangerous road to full on interment camps and fascism-lite. :allears:

Please do explain how that strategy will help him secure the GOP nomination.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everblight posted:

Michigan's governor is basically the Vault-Tec CEO at this point

http://www.eclectablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/ComebackCreep.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Mr Hootington posted:

Everyone is affected by various political issues differently and has different political priorities, why is focusing on economic issues objectively better than focusing on social issues?

Sure for most people the economic issues affect them more, but if I happen to be personally affected more by social issues why shouldn't I focus on those issues?

• Locked thread