Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Flavorful Rest in Peace reprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which in a low power graveyard heavy format you probably don't mind much

Low Power Graveyard Heavy is the name of my MTG themed japanese shoegaze band

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Flavorful Rest in Peace reprint.

I doubt Rest in Peace would get reprinted on a plane where zombies are as common as humans.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah I can only see Jace becoming better once SOI comes out unless they do something dumb and make the set not graveyard focused

I don't know, as mentioned fetches are great for flipping him early, and that certainly an advantage for him. His -2 might be of diminished value if SoI has Flashback (but obviously still of value as Snapcaster showed) Plus if it's taking until t5-6 to load the yard to the point of flipping him, that might be time you can't use flashback cards already in there, as well as time he could eat removal.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Count Bleck posted:

I doubt Rest in Peace would get reprinted on a plane where zombies are as common as humans.

It was originally in RTR, so I'd expect a reprint in RTRTR in the fall.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

They had Ground Seal, Tormod's Crypt, Grafdigger's Cage, and Rest in Peace all in the same standard and Reanimator was still the best deck.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Lancelot posted:

Edit: Can I also say this that this standard really confuses me? We have a Vintage-restricted card and a Modern-banned card (Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time) that we can play 4 of each, as well as Vintage-playable finishers (Monastery Mentor) and planeswalkers (baby Jace). How is there not a deck that takes full advantage of these? Is Wet Mardu the best we can do?

Dig or Cruise and jace is in basically every blue deck but it turns out when the average cmc of your deck is 3 rather than 0.5 and you play creature cards monastery mentor is merely good rather than fantastic

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GoutPatrol posted:

They had Ground Seal, Tormod's Crypt, Grafdigger's Cage, and Rest in Peace all in the same standard and Reanimator was still the best deck.

It helped Abrupt Decay told all of those to go gently caress themselves and that the deck was half ramp, half reanimator. What's the best way to get your Angel of Serenity in the graveyard? Cast it and make 'em remove it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
lol http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/why-leaks-hurt-2015-12-16

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I would not guarantee a flashback return in Innistrad. They only have so much room for old mechanics and flashback wasn't a new one for Innistrad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I liked the bullet point about leaks being bad because it keeps information from "less-enfranchised players" even though grand wizards have access to this info as long as they keep their mouth shut and only circulate it between a privilege few. :3:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alaan posted:

I would not guarantee a flashback return in Innistrad. They only have so much room for old mechanics and flashback wasn't a new one for Innistrad.

They're gonna bring back dredge and flashback at the same time as a prelude to them unbanning dread return in modern

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

GoutPatrol posted:

Rest In Peace doesn't do poo poo when you just cast Pilgrim into Farseek into turn 3 Thragtusk.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

They're gonna bring back dredge and flashback at the same time as a prelude to them unbanning dread return in modern

Please dont tease me

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Is this the real reason we can't have mana leak anymore :tinfoil:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2N_uvnvGbI
Granted, their handling of the :d: thing wasn't too great either.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

what was the leak that happened in 2002?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Leaks aren't journalism because there is no cover-up. There's no secret exposé about the working conditions of goblins on Ravnica, or the water quality on Zendikar, or the climate change on Mirrodin (though that one might have something). Leaks are all things that the public will find out eventually. There's no conspiracy being unraveled, just something new revealed through the theft of intellectual property. That's right, theft. If we didn't give it to you and say "Show this," then you are stealing something from Wizards of the Coast and the Magic community.

Is this for real

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 16, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Chill la Chill posted:

I liked the bullet point about leaks being bad because it keeps information from "less-enfranchised players" even though grand wizards have access to this info as long as they keep their mouth shut and only circulate it between a privilege few. :3:

what "less-enfranchised player" is going to give a gently caress?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It hasn't been since Maro wrote about his shirts can I so assuredly say that it would be better if they just didn't say anything.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I think they've said on multiple occasions that a majority of their players will never look at or post on a forum or reddit thread, so in that context it makes a fair amount of sense that less-enfranchised players are pretty often not going to see leaks until a fair amount later than the most enfranchised players.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is this for real

wizards is a company, which means being mindlessly capitalist and retarded is gonna happen

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Allstone posted:

I think they've said on multiple occasions that a majority of their players will never look at or post on a forum or reddit thread, so in that context it makes a fair amount of sense that less-enfranchised players are pretty often not going to see leaks until a fair amount later than the most enfranchised players.

Aren't those people also unlikely to view the eventual pre-prerelease full spoiler, which wizards themselves provide? How many of people that won't hear about the leak, will care about it? Of those that won't know about the leak, how many would have cared in the first place?

e:I butchered that last sentence

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 16, 2015

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

what was the leak that happened in 2002?

That would've been Odyssey block, right?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Those are some stupid arguments. I mean, yeah, leaks are bad (for Wizards) cause they throw a wrench in their plan for how to reveal stuff and how they get to spin the reveals etc, and you can just say "They're also bad because they lack the context of their planned reveal so blah blah". But nope, "it's stealing guise, cmon, don't just serve ur egos".

I don't even know the name of any leaker, the closest thing I know is Mythicspoiler which just aggregates them.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I bet jace used unbound telepathy to steal the cards from alham maro's brain

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Serperoth posted:

Those are some stupid arguments. I mean, yeah, leaks are bad (for Wizards) cause they throw a wrench in their plan for how to reveal stuff and how they get to spin the reveals etc, and you can just say "They're also bad because they lack the context of their planned reveal so blah blah". But nope, "it's stealing guise, cmon, don't just serve ur egos".

I don't even know the name of any leaker, the closest thing I know is Mythicspoiler which just aggregates them.

Leaks hurt wizards and 3rd party websites they give preference to. It also probably hurts SSG, channel fireball, and other retailers that profit on having the inside scoop before everyone else.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I agree, Simian Spirit Guide doesnt look very good in the context of the leaked cards.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Zoness posted:

I agree, Simian Spirit Guide doesnt look very good in the context of the leaked cards.

People went loving nuts when this card was spoiled.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

It also probably hurts SSG,

Simian Spirit Guide doesn't give a gently caress about leaks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

People went loving nuts when this card was spoiled.

did it see a lot of play when it first came out? how long did it take people to realize it and goblin charbelcher were good friends

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

did it see a lot of play when it first came out? how long did it take people to realize it and goblin charbelcher were good friends

I believe it got played in Dragonstorm, but not much else. I think as soon as it was spoiled people figured out it could be used in Belcher, but I honestly can't remember. All I remember is the MTGS thread was gigantic about people saying it was the second coming of Christ and saying it's unplayable trash (I guess that describes every Magic thread...)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There are people who believe there is some bizarre market of consumers who will only go directly to The Brand for information about The Brand and these made up consumers are going to be titillated and intrigued by THE MYSTERIOUS LEAKS and maybe now they will something or other and at the end of the day this costs us money somehow so we must control our precious resource trickle

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
On the other hand leaks necessarily imply theft or breach of a non-disclosure contract. The existence of said contract is most likely at some end result a profit to wizards.

The lofty motivations thing is whatever tho v:shobon:v.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah its definitely not the "less enfranchised" who are losing out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah its definitely not the "less enfranchised" who are losing out.

You don't make a one bullet point list.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

You don't make a one bullet point list.

My counter-argument(s):
  • Sure you can.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
The leak/hype machine was disrupted. Just be a soulless business and sue the guy without explaining yourselves Wizards it's okay it doesn't make playing a $500 deck any less fun.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

That would've been Odyssey block, right?

Torment, Judgment, and Onslaught were 2002. It might have extended into Legions which was January 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I agree with most of the article. Look at the shitstorm caused by people not being able to wrap their heads around {C} when it wasn't outright explained to them. In an ideal world, someone at Wizards would have seen the leak and immediately posted something to explain the cards, but there's massive amounts of red tape and corporate approval they need to get before they even acknowledge these things publicly.

They have got to stop using the "leaks hurt our writers and writers of other sites who are eager to give spoilers in their articles" because there is no way we can sympathize with them. If you put yourself in the shoes of someone writing an article and going "I can't wait for my article to come out about Kozilek's Return! Everyone's going to read what I have to write!" then yeah, it's lovely for them that someone took their experience away from them... but the people seeing these leaks and being excited for them aren't going, "Oh, poor Reid Duke, no one is going to read his article now." and like I said, it's impossible for someone to feel sorry for him. Wizards thinks we should, because they can see it from the writers' perspective, but we just see a new card and get excited about it.

• Locked thread