Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fabricated posted:

Undertale is vaguely charming, clever in how it handles the story via replays/saving, has a pretty good soundtrack, and has probably the most insanely retarded rabid fanbase of any current game.

The last one is probably most of the reason a lot of people don't really like it, which I can't really blame people for. The creator seems really insanely goony and he seems to have indicated horror at the fanbase he has inspired on occasion. IF he ever makes another game he will likely be eaten alive by said fanbase for it not being a sequel, or being a game that doesn't hit the exact same beats as Undertale.

yeah the fanbase is really awful. personally i refuse to let a lovely fanbase ruin my enjoyment of a thing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

also there's a bit in the neutral run that was done by everdraed so as goons you are all required by law to like it :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have no real nostalgia for 2D RPGs which I think is why I haven't tried it yet

I also don't tend to play the same SP campaign repeatedly

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

scamtank posted:

nah the dude's a proper degenerate from what i remember
Really? A little while back I got linked tweets from him reacting in horror at people tweeting him creepy fanart, and him specifically hoping that the game would "fade away" after its popularity waned instead of creating a "cesspool" of a fanbase.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

haveblue posted:

I have no real nostalgia for 2D RPGs which I think is why I haven't tried it yet

I also don't tend to play the same SP campaign repeatedly

it's very short (like 3-4 hours) and a lot changes depending on which run you're doing. even the fights that are the same are handled completely differently depending on whether you're trying to kill your opponent or spare them

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Notorious QIG posted:

if you hate papyrus you have no joy in your heart :colbert:

the skeleton likes spaghetti???????????!? wow!!!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
undertale does stuff that makes you think "hey that's pretty clever", and has more of those moments than I expected and I'm not even done with it yet (juggling games) and that's a lot of why I think it's neat enough

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

corn in the bible posted:

he's a skeleton who tries to be all spooky and scary but he's just too drat friendly to actually be threatening in the least :3:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I played undertale for about 5 minutes and returned it. didn't seem like my kinda of thing.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

the best part of undertale is how salty it makes you

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I played undertale for about 5 minutes and returned it. didn't seem like my kinda of thing.

i also stop playing games while i am in the tutorial

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the difference is that homestuck has a bad fanbase and is also bad, not true of undertale

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

"ok quigs and the knights move in an l-shape like this"

"nah gently caress this poo poo im out this is Not My Thing"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Notorious QIG posted:

"ok quigs and the knights move in an l-shape like this"

"nah gently caress this poo poo im out this is Not My Thing"

basically my experience with chess too, yeah

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Undertale is supposed to be a childrens story. Its about a ten year old who gets transported to a hidden realm and has to escape by fighting monsters. So a wacky skeleton that likes spaghetti is a perfectly reasonable addition.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I bought star wars, the rear end of us and final fantasy x series remaster for 100 united states dollars.

Lol u bought battlefront

I might :smithicide:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Ludwig van Halen posted:

its made by some pervy homestuck fetishist

this guy seems really angry about Homestuck.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
i loved the old battlefront, so i might buy the new one if i can get the all dlc edition for cheap anytime soon

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

dear sweet baby jesus the season pass alone is C$76

lol gently caress EA

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hubris.height posted:

the best part of undertale is how salty it makes you

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

if you get mad about unrealistic sprite rotation in a ten dollar game in 2015, well, that's your right, i guess.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

A survey of 2,001 American adults completed by the Pew Research Center has found nearly half of Americans play video games, but a much smaller group of people self-identify as gamers. Pew says 50% of men and 48% of women play games, but an average of 10% of adults call themselves gamers.

actually the whole survey is really interesting: http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/12/15/gaming-and-gamers/

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 16, 2015

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

all of the above

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lmao at no one with a college degree in that study claiming to be a gamer

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Gay: 100%

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I wouldn't call myself a gamer

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Phoenixan posted:

undertale is so cheap though that even if you don't like it, you've likely spent more than $10 on worse things

sure but

spending the time to actually play it when you could be doing anything else is the issue

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

guy with 200 posts in The Video Games Thread: i'm not a gamer.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

As a Millennial I posted:

gamer is a specific thing tho, like serial killer or child predator

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'm more of a gaymer

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i played 28 minutes of undertale

i stopped because 2d games that have non-grid based movement but grid based puzzles are Seriously Bull poo poo.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Top posters for thread (max 100)
User Posts
Notorious QIG 925
Blackula69 668
Improbable Lobster 542
Liver Disaster 538
Al! 447
ayn rand hand job 394
Space-Pope 384
Panty Saluter 312
Pinterest Mom 305

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

does undertale have puzzles in it?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

barely

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

undertale is AIDS, but it turns out, i love AIDS.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

undertale is AIDS, but it turns out, i love AIDS.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

i mean like

i chose geneva as my hub city for euro truck sim, because i spent a while there on study abroad a few years ago and love the city. outside of lake geneve, there's nothing even remotely geneva about it, it's basically just Generic European City that happens to be next to a lake. compare to the amero truck sim gameplay, which actually has unique landmarks for different places. if they can keep that up in a lot of major cities than that is good

you'd think that in this day and age you could scrape Google maps for a basis on which to autogenerate some cities - most cities seem to have pretty accurate models of a lot of buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

guys i don't know about this undertale can i get hundreds of poasts pro, con, and neutral arguing ever facet of the game before i decide for myself to spend the princely sum of $10

• Locked thread