Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

deadly_pudding posted:

Do you suppose the heatsink just explodes into a burst of gamma rays or something when it exits your Supercruise bubble, due to suddenly being subjected to the constant speed of light and having to shed its excess energy? Because otherwise you're shooting an uncontrolled projectile off the side of your ship at like 800c :v:

Well this is head canon for me now.

Here's my Horizons review: It's more of the same, if that excites you buy it; if not then don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What's a good first goal to shoot for as a (sort of) new player? All I've got is 70k credits, a slightly upgraded Eagle with no weapons (I needed a few thousand extra for my vehicle bay), and said SRV.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What are you having the most fun doing so far? Trade? Fight? Explore? Smuggle?

Aim to do that better.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ciaphas posted:

What's a good first goal to shoot for as a (sort of) new player? All I've got is 70k credits, a slightly upgraded Eagle with no weapons (I needed a few thousand extra for my vehicle bay), and said SRV.

There's a few places you can go for from there. If you like the Eagle, all you need is Rank 1 in the Empire Navy to get the Imperial Eagle, which boasts a medium weapon hardpoint. You can get that guy fully-outfitted for about half a million.

You could also move to the Cobra Mk3, which is considered an excellent general-purpose workhorse for the midgame. It's ridiculously speedy, has 2 medium hardpoints, and has way more internal slots than either of the Eagles for pretty much whatever you want to configure it for. A lot of people hang out in a Cobra until they can afford a Vulture or something. Your basic Cobra Mk3 is 380,000 out of the shipyard, but you're looking at a couple million to outfit it. It's not hard to make a million pretty quickly if you're doing conflict zones or being pretty diligent about your bounty hunting. Your combat-type missions often let you get paid twice if they're sending you after pirates; you get the mission reward, and you can turn in the pirate bounties, too. You can also find hella wanted criminals just flying around in space or in Resource Extraction Sites.

If you think you might be into trade, you can start with a less-expensive Cobra build that emphasizes cargo space and long-range travel. It's not very exciting, but if you plan your routes pretty well to coincide with delivery missions, you can make pretty large chunks of money while you mostly watch netflix on the other monitor :v:
Your first real "cargo ship" in that track would be a Type-6 Transporter, which is a little over a million out of the box, or about 2.5 million to outfit with like good systems modules and a fuel scoop.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What's a good high tech system with a nearby RES so I can kit out a Vulture without being miserable jumping halfway across the Galaxy?

Since Arexe seems to have much fewer kill pirates missions, I'm gonna just hang in RESs and bounty hunt.

I'm also thinking of swapping my Courier back to regular shields instead of BiWeave. The recharge speed really isn't a big enough jump to offset the lower overall strength.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So how are missiles against shields now? I thought I saw something about a buff in amongst that Galt speech of a changelog.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What are you having the most fun doing so far? Trade? Fight? Explore? Smuggle?

Aim to do that better.

I frankly don't know, except that trading is boring as sin (it's all I did last time I played, in the hopes of making money) and I'm rubbish at fighting.

Never tried smuggling, what does that involve mechanically?

deadly_pudding posted:

There's a few places you can go for from there.

:words:

Thanks! :)

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Dabir posted:

So how are missiles against shields now? I thought I saw something about a buff in amongst that Galt speech of a changelog.

Not completely worthless, but still far from amazing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ciaphas posted:

Never tried smuggling, what does that involve mechanically?

A fast ship, avoiding interdictions (or submitting to and outrunning), and learning to fling your ship into a station mailslot as hard and fast as possible in order to avoid police scans.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

Annath posted:

What's a good high tech system with a nearby RES so I can kit out a Vulture without being miserable jumping halfway across the Galaxy?

Since Arexe seems to have much fewer kill pirates missions, I'm gonna just hang in RESs and bounty hunt.

I'm also thinking of swapping my Courier back to regular shields instead of BiWeave. The recharge speed really isn't a big enough jump to offset the lower overall strength.

Xihe has good HazREZ on the doorstep of the station

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

deadly_pudding posted:

Your basic Cobra Mk3 is 380,000 out of the shipyard, but you're looking at a couple million to outfit it.

Why do people keep saying this?

There is plenty of gray area between a stock ship and A-class everything. You can serviceably outfit any ship in the game for a fraction of the ship's purchase price. Telling someone that they need to spend millions outfitting a Cobra is stupid as hell.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shine posted:

There is plenty of gray area between a stock ship and A-class everything. You can serviceably outfit any ship in the game for a fraction of the ship's purchase price. Telling someone that they need to spend millions outfitting a Cobra is stupid as hell.

Yeah most parts work just fine C classed and aren't that much weaker than A. The improvement from E to C is a lot more and a shitload cheaper than the one you get from C to A. Also your nine million space gold fuel scoops and poo poo aren't really necessary :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shine posted:

I guess I should have clarified "to really max its poo poo out for maximum killin dudes"
If you're gonna be using it for like low-risk bounties and trade/exploration of opportunity, then yeah, you're looking at like just upgrading the weapons and bumping all the internals up to D or C rank.

My opinion is that there's nothing wrong with dumping buckets of money into a Cobra, since there's a high likelihood that you'll be replacing it outright with your next ship afterwards, so you get that trade-in value.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
With Horizons comes a new weirdness to planetside missions. I grabbed a mission to smuggle 4 slaves to a planet the next system over, cool. I check out the system but can't because I don't have the option to view the system map. Cool I'll just buy the exploration data. I do this, but none of the planets have the specific base on it. Assuming it's some sort of overlap with the system not having data to it I bring a discovery scanner, jump in the system, honk, and wow the planet shows up with the city on it, it simply wasn't in the database. Since space stations are in space, they always show up when you buy the exploration data. I never knew this but apparently exploration data can be incomplete so now a populated settlement (the largest size one too with the ring of landing pads all around it) was on a planet that wasn't in the database. For this specific mission I took a discovery scanner was required as there was no other way for me to get the information on where this major settlement was in the next system over.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

KakerMix posted:

With Horizons comes a new weirdness to planetside missions. I grabbed a mission to smuggle 4 slaves to a planet the next system over, cool. I check out the system but can't because I don't have the option to view the system map. Cool I'll just buy the exploration data. I do this, but none of the planets have the specific base on it. Assuming it's some sort of overlap with the system not having data to it I bring a discovery scanner, jump in the system, honk, and wow the planet shows up with the city on it, it simply wasn't in the database. Since space stations are in space, they always show up when you buy the exploration data. I never knew this but apparently exploration data can be incomplete so now a populated settlement (the largest size one too with the ring of landing pads all around it) was on a planet that wasn't in the database. For this specific mission I took a discovery scanner was required as there was no other way for me to get the information on where this major settlement was in the next system over.

A good reason to justify my neurotic urge to fit at least a basic discovery scanner on every ship I fit.

Every time I fly my Vulture, there's at least one time, if not more, that I'm irritated I don't have a scanner for some purpose or another, let alone the Advanced scanner that I have on my Asp.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

HiroProtagonist posted:

A good reason to justify my neurotic urge to fit at least a basic discovery scanner on every ship I fit.

Every time I fly my Vulture, there's at least one time, if not more, that I'm irritated I don't have a scanner for some purpose or another, let alone the Advanced scanner that I have on my Asp.

It feels like something they've missed but then again the whole POI and SRV weirdness. Really if they can tell me the name of the settlement I should be able to ask around or look it up on SpaceMaps or call the directory of the city or something to figure out it's on the 6th planet's 3rd moon or whatever if this were real life. Forcing people to carry around a discovery scanner when before we didn't have to for any space station just seems an odd thing, so odd that I don't think it's intentional.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

So Horizons is a separate product on Steam? Do I still need the original Elite:Dangerous at all?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
One thing I meant to ask was what on earth happened between the launch of PowerPlay and now to push Edmund Mahon into the top spot?

He was like almost last back when PP launched.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

beer_war posted:

So Horizons is a separate product on Steam? Do I still need the original Elite:Dangerous at all?

No, Horizons is standalone on Steam. Once they finally gave me a CD key to register on Steam, I deleted E:D and downloaded Horizons, and just launch that now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A fast ship, avoiding interdictions (or submitting to and outrunning), and learning to fling your ship into a station mailslot as hard and fast as possible in order to avoid police scans.

Well this looks amusing as hell. Is smuggling a set of missions or do you (somehow) buy illegal goods to trade (or otherwise 'acquire' them :ese: [is that racist?])?

As for money making via combat, any suggestions on how I can fit my lovely little Eagle for combat? I'm on a 360 controller so precise aim is a bit out of the question.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

KakerMix posted:

I believe this is intended behaviour, since in one of the tutorials they did say that you need to have a planet scanned to see the settlements, and exploration data you can buy always had incomplete info for some reason.
It is silly that you wouldn't get the info about planets with settlements on them, though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ciaphas posted:

Well this looks amusing as hell. Is smuggling a set of missions or do you (somehow) buy illegal goods to trade (or otherwise 'acquire' them :ese: [is that racist?])?

There are smuggling missions now (that get failed when/if you get scanned) that you can do. Otherwise smuggling is trading in illegal goods (often slaves) or looted cargo from pirating/unidentified signal sources.

quote:

As for money making via combat, any suggestions on how I can fit my lovely little Eagle for combat? I'm on a 360 controller so precise aim is a bit out of the question.

Can't go wrong with a couple gimballed pulse lasers and either a third gimballed pulse or something heavier hitting to give you punch. I used to use two pulses and a rocket launcher, but this was way back in gamma/fresh release where you only got credit for a kill if you scored the kill blow (thus the rockets were reserved for taking out the last 10-15% of hull).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

radintorov posted:

I believe this is intended behaviour, since in one of the tutorials they did say that you need to have a planet scanned to see the settlements, and exploration data you can buy always had incomplete info for some reason.
It is silly that you wouldn't get the info about planets with settlements on them, though.

Goddamn space libertarians never mail in their space census forms :colbert:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

One of the most annoying things I've had with the SRVs so far is that sometimes the engine just craps out until I've brought the SRV to a total stop, and even then I sometimes have to flick Drive Assist on and off a few times to get the engine to kick in again.

Am I stalling my buggy or something? Or is this just some bug that happens with HOTAS throttle?

alr
May 14, 2009

Icedude posted:

One of the most annoying things I've had with the SRVs so far is that sometimes the engine just craps out until I've brought the SRV to a total stop, and even then I sometimes have to flick Drive Assist on and off a few times to get the engine to kick in again.

Am I stalling my buggy or something? Or is this just some bug that happens with HOTAS throttle?

Mine does it too with my throttle when I'm making repeated forward/reverse movements to hoover up broken rocks. Have to give it full/min power a couple times to get it moving. Has never happened while moving around normally and exploring, though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Icedude posted:

Do you usually have drive assist on or off? DA-on is supposed to make the SRV treat your throttle like a cruise control, but I found that it bugged out a lot, so I switched it to DA-off and it still works fine with throttle, and responds much better when I use my toe pedal as reverse.

Ciaphas posted:

Gimballed weapons don't require precise aim, and in PvE you won't have to deal with people dropping chaff or doing fancy maneuvers.

Also, if you head to the PGS thread and hop into the IRC channel there, then you can ask people to wing up with you for bounty hunting and make bank. There are a bunch of us who are happy to take Vultures or Pythons or whatever into RES' and help new players stomp pirates for cash. Bounties are split between anybody in a wing who gets some shots in on the target, so even if you're in an Eagle and your wingmate is doing much of the work in a Clipper, you will still get half the payout. That will help get you into something beefier, like a Viper/Cobra, Diamondback, or Vulture.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

radintorov posted:

Such compelling gameplay now that I should carry around a scanner at all times while running missions because the mission giver didn't think it's important enough to say what planet the settlement is on. It's so Frontier it hurts.
Suppose that initiative to make the discovery scanners a module-less upgrade has some more fuel now.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

^^^ they really, really need to do this or at least roll the Adv. discovery + Detailed surface scanners into one size-2 package, it's infuriating that on a DBE half your internal slots are taken by scanners, and on a DBS every one of them considering shields and fuel scoop are p. much needed :argh:

Shine posted:

Gimballed weapons don't require precise aim, and in PvE you won't have to deal with people dropping chaff or doing fancy maneuvers.

That's just not true - while the AI is nowhere as good as a human player of course, they DO use chaff and FA-off maneuvers, at least if they're high ranked (say master and above)

I had a brush with a deadly Fed dropship last night, it was dropping chaff every time it cooled down and kept pointing its nose at me, which is only possible via FA-off maneuvers if you're against a Vulture.

Didn't do him much good, but he managed to drop my shields and damage my hull to 75% :mad:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Elite is real, guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d50hvpskjE

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Such compelling gameplay now that I should carry around a scanner at all times while running missions because the mission giver didn't think it's important enough to say what planet the settlement is on. It's so Frontier it hurts.
Suppose that initiative to make the discovery scanners a module-less upgrade has some more fuel now.
Now that the Hangar module shows that you can have sub-modules, there's really no reason not to be able to give the same ability to Sensors and fit the various scanners into it.
It could also play into the quality of the sensors, with better grades having more slots.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

A nice easy 'cookie cutter' build is a pair of pulse/burst lasers and a gimbaled multicannon. If you can handle aiming fixed lasers, go for it - you get more punch - but gimbaled is fine, too. Seeker launcher in the top mount would be cool but missiles will cost you 500CR apop.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Here's my Horizons review: It's more of the same, if that excites you buy it; if not then don't.

Thanks, that's what I came here for. See you next update, I think.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

alr posted:

Mine does it too with my throttle when I'm making repeated forward/reverse movements to hoover up broken rocks. Have to give it full/min power a couple times to get it moving. Has never happened while moving around normally and exploring, though.

Yeah, that's when it usually happens for me too, which is why I thought it might be some weird Stalling gimmick at first.

Shine posted:

Do you usually have drive assist on or off? DA-on is supposed to make the SRV treat your throttle like a cruise control, but I found that it bugged out a lot, so I switched it to DA-off and it still works fine with throttle, and responds much better when I use my toe pedal as reverse.

I have DA turned on most of the time, but it seems to happen just as often with DA turned off too.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

TorakFade posted:

That's just not true - while the AI is nowhere as good as a human player of course, they DO use chaff and FA-off maneuvers, at least if they're high ranked (say master and above)

To clarify, AI do not (unless they just changed this) drop non-stop chaff from multiple launchers, the way a player will. They have one chaff launcher, and when that launcher is reloading you can unload on them.

For FA-off, the fanciest thing I've seen them do is a directional circle-strafe that is easily countered by boosting almost straight at them (at more of an off-angle if it's something with a huge hardpoint, like an FdL) and swinging around to their butt with either a drift turn or a directional thruster-assisted pitch. A good player can counter that move, but the AI seems to fall for it every time.

Keep in mind also that you can instantly get the advantage on any AI that you initiate battle with by flying behind it before you open fire. Even if the AI is scanning your cargo hold, as long as its empty the AI will finish and immediately turn away from you, at which point you blast them with an instant advantage. This is kinda cheesy but nobody should feel bad about cheesing AI.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

No, Horizons is standalone on Steam. Once they finally gave me a CD key to register on Steam, I deleted E:D and downloaded Horizons, and just launch that now.

I'm assuming the loyalty discount only procs if you buy from Frontier? And all purchases now come with a Steam key?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I spent about a half hour driving around Mercury looking for a life pod but couldnt find it.

I did come across a single skimmer drone robot thing that was wanted, so I killed it. It was guarding a small restricted area containing a single canister of coffee. Mine now, robot.

Also i got a federal assault ship and A-specced it to use to fight stuff on the ground. I put c3 beam gimbals on it thinking i could just hover and zap down from the bottom hardpoint, but i realized it will be cooler with a big railgun or cannon to snipe turrets from way off.

Also FDL might be fun with the big huge plasma gun or the huge cannon for doing the same.

Any news on fed rank progress? I got up to one rank below ensign (the rank needed for the federal gunship) before Horizons came out, and didnt see anymore promo missions, now it appears to be pegged at 0% progress.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

hakimashou posted:

I spent about a half hour driving around Mercury looking for a life pod but couldnt find it.

I did come across a single skimmer drone robot thing that was wanted, so I killed it. It was guarding a small restricted area containing a single canister of coffee. Mine now, robot.

Also i got a federal assault ship and A-specced it to use to fight stuff on the ground. I put c3 beam gimbals on it thinking i could just hover and zap down from the bottom hardpoint, but i realized it will be cooler with a big railgun or cannon to snipe turrets from way off.

Also FDL might be fun with the big huge plasma gun or the huge cannon for doing the same.

Any news on fed rank progress? I got up to one rank below ensign (the rank needed for the federal gunship) before Horizons came out, and didnt see anymore promo missions, now it appears to be pegged at 0% progress.

I'm really pleased that "mugging a robot to steal its coffee" is now part of our gameplay loop. gently caress you, robot! You can't even use caffeine!

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

Do you suppose the heatsink just explodes into a burst of gamma rays or something when it exits your Supercruise bubble, due to suddenly being subjected to the constant speed of light and having to shed its excess energy? Because otherwise you're shooting an uncontrolled projectile off the side of your ship at like 800c :v:

:words: You aren't actually moving 800c in supercruise, if you were the screen should be all hosed up from only being able to see a blob of light directly ahead, weird color-shifted poo poo from the sides and nothing whatsoever from the rear. The fact that your view isn't at all distorted at that speed and the fact that they're calling it a frame shift drive leads me to conclude that ships are moving at that speed by micro-jumping several times a second or some other Star Trek hand-wavey FTL method. In which case, anything jettisoned from your ship would just be left drifting behind it at whatever real-world speed the ship is moving. :words:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

I'm assuming the loyalty discount only procs if you buy from Frontier? And all purchases now come with a Steam key?

Yes, that's how I understand it. Here's everything that happened, so there's no ambiguity:

I bought through Frontier store on Monday, hosed around for five hours with the Steam update, found out running the launcher from the Steam install folder after it finally finished only prompted me to start another two hour plus download of Horizons instead, got mad, rage quit IRC, then finally went back and added my Steam key that they released four hours late to Steam, downloaded and installed Horizons through Steam, deleted the Steam install of E:D.

Horizons works fine.

Frontier really hosed up the distro of the expansion but at least it's cool and works well. Why on earth they didn't simply have Horizons as unlockable DLC via Frontier-provided CD key and packaged with the 1.5 Steam update is baffling though. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Supposedly the old launcher can't handle the new 64bit client and though it will download it Steam won't/can't easily change over to the new launcher for the steam games list link. So it's there and you download it and can play the 64bit version and even Horizons if your account owns it but only if you run it from the folder or make a shortcut to it. IDK, seems weird because other games on Steam have made a switch like this before.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 16, 2015

• Locked thread