Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
DC: B :argh:

So far, after about restarts, I have found it impossible to even approximate historical outcomes.

Also literally everyone but Hitler and Goables hates me. Speaking of which, why on Earth does Hitler like me so much? It's mid-August I've failed to take his objective, and by every conceivable measure, and especially the "war is over in 6 months," I've failed.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pimpmust posted:

I like how they have a link to the Steam page right there on the Matrix Store but I have to buy it from their store *and* register on Slitherines site to get a steam key :wtc:

It used to be you would buy it, get a 2 week download link and a serial, and that was it. So they're learning I guess

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

why on Earth does Hitler like me so much?
Maybe it's time to question some life choices :S

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Joining the party is a good way to piss off all the military men.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Are there really people out there that are still downloading hex-based grog games over 56k dial-up connections like its 1994?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Are there really people out there that are still downloading hex-based grog games over 56k dial-up connections like its 1994?

In this genre is that a real question?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

uPen posted:

Matrix's download speeds are actually reasonable. Not steam speed but unless it's a big release day it usually doesn't take more than a few minutes to download games.

I was laughing at them even showing what the download speed would *be* over 56k. Why even show that in 2015? Even Alaskans living in the primitive ruins of the American backwater would be able to get a faster satellite connection or something (assuming rural Alaskans are the #1 Grog customer base Matrix are gunning for).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

When I imagine grognards in my head, I usually picture a 55-60 year old guy with a giant bushy beard, living in rural Montana, wearing suspenders. His long day working the fields / driving a truck / whatever it is people do for money in Montana behind him, he saunters into his study (with wood-paneled walls) and flips on the sole lamp at his desk (it's one of those old green glass desk lamps). He claps his hands together as he boots up his Pentium 3 machine, the gentle whirring of the 10 gigabyte hard drive spinning up providing a soundtrack for his experience. "Time to sit down with a good old game of war," he says, staring past his various painted models of WW2 airplanes (a suspiciously large amount of which are decorated in Nazi livery). On one wall, a huge 6'x10' hex map of Europe hangs, with individual push-pins and scribbled notes jotted in. The Windows 98 bootup sound plays and he suppresses a giddy laugh, knowing soon that his plan to take the Baku oil fields from the Bolsheviks will soon come to fruition.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Please stop spying on us.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

That's me except more anime.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Wait, have I had you over to my house before or something?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

MrYenko posted:

HPS Simulations still has a fuckmothering web ring so the companies certainly are still stuck in 94. Makes sense that a decent number of their customers are too.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

HPS Simulations still has a fuckmothering web ring so the companies certainly are still stuck in 94. Makes sense that a decent number of their customers are too.

Their webring domain expired several months ago and a squatter company snapped it up and is using it to distribute malware. They haven't updated the links on their website yet, it's been 3 months.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Drone posted:

He claps his hands together as he boots up his Pentium 3 machine, the gentle whirring of the 10 gigabyte hard drive spinning up providing a soundtrack for his experience.

Surprisingly large hard drive for a P3 there.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Drone posted:

When I imagine grognards in my head, I usually picture a 55-60 year old guy with a giant bushy beard, living in rural Montana, wearing suspenders. His long day working the fields / driving a truck / whatever it is people do for money in Montana behind him, he saunters into his study (with wood-paneled walls) and flips on the sole lamp at his desk (it's one of those old green glass desk lamps). He claps his hands together as he boots up his Pentium 3 machine, the gentle whirring of the 10 gigabyte hard drive spinning up providing a soundtrack for his experience. "Time to sit down with a good old game of war," he says, staring past his various painted models of WW2 airplanes (a suspiciously large amount of which are decorated in Nazi livery). On one wall, a huge 6'x10' hex map of Europe hangs, with individual push-pins and scribbled notes jotted in. The Windows 98 bootup sound plays and he suppresses a giddy laugh, knowing soon that his plan to take the Baku oil fields from the Bolsheviks will soon come to fruition.

I know I'd have noticed if you came by my log cabin. You're one of them government types, aren't you? Always spying on honest creepy recluses :tinfoil:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

uPen posted:

Their webring domain expired several months ago and a squatter company snapped it up and is using it to distribute malware. They haven't updated the links on their website yet, it's been 3 months.

So their webring link takes me to a malware distribution thing? This seems like something they should be spammed about constantly until they remove that link from their page, that's pretty dangerous and lovely for their customers...

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

rchandra posted:

Surprisingly large hard drive for a P3 there.

kids these days

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

So their webring link takes me to a malware distribution thing? This seems like something they should be spammed about constantly until they remove that link from their page, that's pretty dangerous and lovely for their customers...

Who clicks on a webring banner in 2015? (It's me, I can't resist.)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

uPen posted:

Who clicks on a webring banner in 2015? (It's me, I can't resist.)

The exact demographic using that site.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Drone posted:

Where can I get one of those maps.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
War in the Pacific: wrecker of e-friendships, much like diplomacy ruins real life relationships :v:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hunterhr posted:

Where can I get one of those maps.

ahem, :agesilaus:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I've been getting really into seriously attempting a run of WitP recently and the idea of a massive wall-map with pins is sounding better and better with everything to keep track of :gonk:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Jump into a grand campaign. Just do it.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I did, I just finished about 1/3 of my December 8th orders after an hour or two of flying around the map. I've done the small campaigns and fooled around with the grand campaign enough by now to actually feel like I know what I'm doing and it feels so good

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

I did, I just finished about 1/3 of my December 8th orders after an hour or two of flying around the map. I've done the small campaigns and fooled around with the grand campaign enough by now to actually feel like I know what I'm doing and it feels so good

Doing the smaller campaigns helps with really basic stuff like "how do I shoot at ships," and "how do carriers and planes interact" but does nothing to help you figure out grand logistics, long duration training, or long term building up bases. Those are pretty much the core of the allied campaign in my opinion.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
A good rule of thumb as allies is that every single loving xAK should either be at sea transiting between ports or loading/unloading.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The December 8th turn also takes by far the longest amount of time to process (a couple hours). After that initial setup, turns tend to go much faster.

If I remember right, there was even a stickied thread in the WITP forum on the Matrix site with a complete list of Turn 1 orders to run through, and I want to say also save files where someone had done all the work for you. Definitely not for me though, as I need to set these plans in motion in order to be able to actually remember them.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I followed the 'Kull spreadsheet' of 4k orders to issue on dec 8th in my PBEM. Including search arcs and exact sub patrol locations; wrote a tool in javascript to help me get the hexes exact.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Baloogan posted:

A good rule of thumb as allies is that every single loving xAK should either be at sea transiting between ports or loading/unloading.

I actually prefer to keep a certain reserve of xAKs idle to be able to react to any new developments, at least early on. It's not like you're lacking in transport capacity once the US starts making GBS threads out Liberty ships.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
keep your 'react' xAKs at sea loaded with supplies!
No need to keep reserve xAKs as allies, the thousands of newly built ships acts as your reserve.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Another rule is to always have a queue of ships at rangoon to unload. You feed burma, you feed china. And china is hungry.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Baloogan posted:

Another rule is to always have a queue of ships at rangoon to unload. You feed burma, you feed china. And china is hungry.

I remember Rangoon taking quite a beating from the air in Grey's last LP, though.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

corn in the bible posted:

It used to be you would buy it, get a 2 week download link and a serial, and that was it. So they're learning I guess

That's still exactly what you get, right down to the 14 day link, but you can obviously now assign your key to your account (it still doesn't happen automatically or in some sort of nominated way during a purchase) to get the Steam key (e: Not sure why I thought it was state the obvious time). On top of the fun process of redeeming 15 keys into both my Matrix and Slitherine accounts :spergin: the Order of Battle Pacific Steam key has been a duplicate the last four times I've tried it and the nice support guy has reset it for me.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 16, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I've generally been reading all the AARs and new player guides that I can, which has had the side effect of making me eternally grateful for how much better this forum is than the Matrix one. A loooot of the AAR posts on there are really hard to parse because of the wholesale copy/pasting of combat logs with a minimum of commentary, as people have pointed out here before. Which, by the way, makes Operation Glacier so far ahead of anything else I've seen so far I don't think I can come up with a sufficiently hysterical metaphor to compare it to the Matrix grogs.

I think the biggest hurdle to playing is just getting to grips with the UI, once I finally understood what most of the buttons do the grand campaign just becomes an exercise in patience as you set the board.

e: Also, speaking of downloads, you're officially able to re-download purchased games as many times as you want from the Matrix store, but you have to open a support ticket to get your download link again. I gained a new level of appreciation for the convenience of Steam earlier last week.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Is there any benefit to purchasing Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations from Steam instead of a physical copy? It's 55 bucks on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Command-Moder...aval+operations

and 80 bucks on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/321410/

Are these different versions or anything or should I just save myself 25 bucks?

Also Baloogan your Youtube videos are what convinced me to give this game a shot. Really good stuff man.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's on sale at the matrix site though, right?

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/483/details/Command:.Modern.Air.Naval.Operations.Wargame.of.the.Year.Edition

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I didn't even think to look on the Matrix site. It's been a while since I've got a proper grognard sim. Thanks for the heads up. Buying it now.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

I think the biggest hurdle to playing is just getting to grips with the UI, once I finally understood what most of the buttons do the grand campaign just becomes an exercise in patience as you set the board.

Setting up the tracker so I didn't have to check troop movements every turn was a huge improvement for me. That and getting notifications on increased detection on task forces and such in one handy graph was nice.

Also: production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Without the tracker and combat reporter I don't think I'd ever even look at SIGINT and Op reports. I'm on turn 3 or 4 and I'm getting suspicious because of how much less there is to do once you're waiting for units to follow through on orders that you've set over the last few turns instead of issuing orders for every allied unit in the Pacific at once.