Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

symbolic posted:

what loving year is it that vlogs are still popular?

I thought they were more popular now than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Stinky_Pete posted:

But that's just centuries-ago theater producers because they didn't like giving women jobs, where everyone in the audience who wasn't rich as gently caress stood on discarded peanut shells in the dirt. How anyone romanticizes the past I'll never understand. Modern productions don't have dudes playing women and the script is agnostic to the players' logistics so "Shakespeare" does not imply what you're saying it implies. Now lay off and let me denigrate.

while shakespeare didn't invent the system of men playing women, you can be sure his writing is "aware" of it and comments on it deliberately; gender-bending is very common in the comedies, and Orsino for instance falls in love with what he thinks is a young page boy... before it is revealed to him "he" is really a young woman in disguise, and then they go get married. you can rest assured that in the gender-bending comedies, both shakespeare and the audience laughed when the man-playing-a-woman-playing-a-man was revealed to be a "woman" and everything was hunky-dory as two dudes in funny costumes made eyes at each other.

another instance is Pyramus and Thisbee in Midsummer, where the action of the play is lampooned by the play-within-a-play, where two dudes enact a love scene between a man and a woman; so you have man-playing-man-playing-man in love with man-playing-man-playing-woman, and the humor between these two crude men speaking high poesy and falling in love is in part based on the guy wearing funny woman's clothes and doing a bad stereotyped "woman" character.

people may have been smelly and didn't have computers but they weren't any more or less stupid 500 years ago than they are now; and most people agree that, given a comedic context, a dude in woman's clothing is funny.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Vaporwave is basically "Born in 1992 and later" Millenial.mp3.cassette.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

TheMostFrench posted:

I thought they were more popular now than ever.
i stopped caring about them years ago so i haven't been paying attention

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

nomadologique posted:

while shakespeare didn't invent the system of men playing women, you can be sure his writing is "aware" of it and comments on it deliberately; gender-bending is very common in the comedies, and Orsino for instance falls in love with what he thinks is a young page boy... before it is revealed to him "he" is really a young woman in disguise, and then they go get married. you can rest assured that in the gender-bending comedies, both shakespeare and the audience laughed when the man-playing-a-woman-playing-a-man was revealed to be a "woman" and everything was hunky-dory as two dudes in funny costumes made eyes at each other.

another instance is Pyramus and Thisbee in Midsummer, where the action of the play is lampooned by the play-within-a-play, where two dudes enact a love scene between a man and a woman; so you have man-playing-man-playing-man in love with man-playing-man-playing-woman, and the humor between these two crude men speaking high poesy and falling in love is in part based on the guy wearing funny woman's clothes and doing a bad stereotyped "woman" character.

people may have been smelly and didn't have computers but they weren't any more or less stupid 500 years ago than they are now; and most people agree that, given a comedic context, a dude in woman's clothing is funny.

yeah you're right that is super gay, my mistake

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

symbolic posted:

It's hard to keep track when many, many, people put up vids talking about waking up and complaining about being out of soda or something. 20 to 30 minute videos.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Haier posted:

Vaporwave is basically "Born in 1992 and later" Snake Person.mp3.cassette.

I'd say it's how those of us under 30 fetishize and/or fossilize the consumer culture and technology of a decade that we never participated in but have scraps and traces from.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 16, 2015

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I wonder how much of it is a fetish and how much is being broke as gently caress and buying tape decks on the cheap.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

symbolic posted:

most infants fully understand object permanence when they turn 2, i wish you the best on your continued development

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

It you change the perspective on that, you can make it look like the bow of a ship with two pineapples doing the Titanic pose.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stinky_Pete posted:

I'd say it's how those of us under 30 fetishize and/or fossilize the consumer culture and technology of a decade that we never participated in but have scraps and traces from.

I remember back in the 90's when I was a teenager and collected vinyl, old people seemed so confused by it. Now I know people in their mid 20's in bands, and they all release cassette tapes and fetishize the poo poo out of them. They say the same stuff people always say about records. "It's sounds warmer/just more real blah blah.

Cassettes aren't special at all to me though. Just some crappy dead format I used to have to use when I was a kid. Now I get why those old people couldn't figure out why I bought vinyl.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Like with different formats there is this thing where different frequencies are accentuated by RIAA Equalization forcing vinyl to have less bass and more treble in order to have longer record times and not having the bass jump the needle, and this can possibly lead to people listening and finding records sounding different from digital recordings. Cassettes have some popularity still because people have tape decks in their old loving lovely beaters, and those same people fetish the 80s tape swapping scene like nobodies business. Also it's a metal head thing for some reason.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

imo trade and tech schools are the way to go right now for most people after high school. colleges are bloated and are all about *~*networking*~* but actually just suck up all your money and it's basically for the rich really. it takes forever to be qualified for anything, and half the time you are paying for classes that have gently caress all to do with what you're actually studying

meanwhile you can go to a community college, spend a year learning how to be an electrician for a marginal amount of money, and what do you know, you can now make a living becoming an electrician

i have literally no idea why 'lesser' colleges get such a bad rap in the US, it's literally the most efficient way to learn how to do a useful thing

yup. good advice. the only advice really.

go into the trades.

and then suck dudes' dicks everyday.

Twat McTwatterson fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 16, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Stinky_Pete posted:

I was born in the 80's but as a poor I didn't have CD's until the mid-90's so I was very familiar with cassettes because that's all there was as far as I was concerned. I remember getting Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness on two cassettes.

As for Vaporwave itself it sounds kinda neat and reminds me of the corporate muzak I used to hear in the malls and outlet stores my mom would drag me to. :shrug:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

King Vidiot posted:

I was born in the 80's but as a poor I didn't have CD's until the mid-90's so I was very familiar with cassettes because that's all there was as far as I was concerned. I remember getting Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness on two cassettes.

As for Vaporwave itself it sounds kinda neat and reminds me of the corporate muzak I used to hear in the malls and outlet stores my mom would drag me to. :shrug:

Sup poor upbringing buddy, my first cd was 1995's e. 1999 eternal by bone thugs.

I'm old enough to have bought a record though, Fore by Huey Lewis and the News. My tastes changed a bit you could say.

Oh and cassettes were by far the worst method of playing music in the last 30 years, stop being retards you kids

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this looks old as poo poo. Rick might even be a Gen X'er.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

ghostter posted:

ya i made this acount when i was 15 i think maybe but enoguh about me (sorry milennial trait, just talking about myself lol :rolleye:) here's some millennials shutting down a major highway yesterday for a proposal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPG7P6jvb6Q

how romantic

'will you marry m-'

BEEEEEEP BEEEEP BEEP BEEEP 'get off the road!'

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
baby when I'm with you the world stops, just like I've stopped these 200 cars driving down the highway trying to get home after a long lovely day a t work

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You only get to propose a limited number of times in your life so you have to get as many people to see it as possible. Doing it during a baseball game is a classic choice, but for the modern age couple it may be ideal to live stream it instead! Simply hold your camera in "selfie mode" in one hand while you propose with the other, to make sure that you two and ten thousand anonymous strangers share this special, personal moment together!

:10bux: says someone has tried to do this

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ahh, back in the day tv repairmen came by your house like a plumber or electrician to fix the set. Now you have to drop it off to be serviced if that's even done any more. It's easier for a company to replace one on warranty than fix it.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 16, 2015

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

NESguerilla posted:

I remember back in the 90's when I was a teenager and collected vinyl, old people seemed so confused by it. Now I know people in their mid 20's in bands, and they all release cassette tapes and fetishize the poo poo out of them. They say the same stuff people always say about records. "It's sounds warmer/just more real blah blah.

Cassettes aren't special at all to me though. Just some crappy dead format I used to have to use when I was a kid. Now I get why those old people couldn't figure out why I bought vinyl.

Its not so much the same thing, IMO. The difference with the vaporwave kids is that it's all just samples from 80s music and Smooth Jazz MP3s or Youtube put through some free VSTi filter and warped in Ableton Live and it never had any of what might make it slightly analogue and it enters a lovely digital realm of ironically pretentious garbage. Then they record it onto cassette tape in "limited" quantities. Stinky Pete was correct in saying it fetishizes this whole type of thing they missed out on, making it even sillier by adding this weeaboo-type nostalgic obsession with Japan in the 80s and 90s. It's one of those "started off ironic and kind of a joke, and then idiots fell for it and took it as gospel" type of things. Now there are $10+ cassette tapes being peddled and rabidly purchased because it gets better "cool" points to play their purely digital stolen music made in pirated software on the original true way it was made to be listened; a cassette tape.

I think vaporwave visual art is pretty cool, but the music and the artists charging $1-5 on Bandcamp for an album that is essentially brazenly stolen loops from other artists isn't very cool. There's another type of vaporwave movement that is basically making Walmart keyboard demo music and taking it way too seriously and acting like they're the first people to ever write their own music, etc., because they wanted their true vision to not have samples like those other "trendy" people.

It's all very Millenial, besides the fact that the whole genre is populated in and out by teenagers.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Automatic Slim posted:

Ahh, back in the day tv repairmen came by your house like a plumber or electrician to fix the set. Now you have to drop it off to be serviced if that's even done any more. It's easier for a company to replace one on warranty than fix it.

Yeah but we're no longer dealing with televisions that came in large cabinets that were also part furniture. Not to mention big tubes, analog tuners, and capacitors that could kill a grown man if you didn't know what you were doing.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Stinky_Pete posted:

I love vaporwave, it's like american psycho in music form. I'm currently listening to vaporwave. I'm over 30

Haier posted:

There's another type of vaporwave movement

lol at "movement". no, like all "movements" and "currents" of vaporwave it's just that vektroid is so immensely influential in the genre that each of her releases sparks (sparked, she doesn't even do vaporwave anymore) a "movement" of copycats

like, the obsession with greek statues and malls and slowed down pop music, the "aesthetic". that wasn't a "movement", that was one of vektroid's albums (floral shoppe). the keyboard sample "movement"? another vektroid album, home(tm)

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Automatic Slim posted:

Yeah, now a day you have to put in the extra effort to get cucked, instead of just having a low income stinky minority come to fix your stuff and stuff your wife's vag.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

And live with their parents.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Haier posted:

Its not so much the same thing, IMO. The difference with the vaporwave kids is that it's all just samples from 80s music and Smooth Jazz MP3s or Youtube put through some free VSTi filter and warped in Ableton Live and it never had any of what might make it slightly analogue and it enters a lovely digital realm of ironically pretentious garbage. Then they record it onto cassette tape in "limited" quantities. Stinky Pete was correct in saying it fetishizes this whole type of thing they missed out on, making it even sillier by adding this weeaboo-type nostalgic obsession with Japan in the 80s and 90s. It's one of those "started off ironic and kind of a joke, and then idiots fell for it and took it as gospel" type of things. Now there are $10+ cassette tapes being peddled and rabidly purchased because it gets better "cool" points to play their purely digital stolen music made in pirated software on the original true way it was made to be listened; a cassette tape.

I think vaporwave visual art is pretty cool, but the music and the artists charging $1-5 on Bandcamp for an album that is essentially brazenly stolen loops from other artists isn't very cool. There's another type of vaporwave movement that is basically making Walmart keyboard demo music and taking it way too seriously and acting like they're the first people to ever write their own music, etc., because they wanted their true vision to not have samples like those other "trendy" people.

It's all very Millenial, besides the fact that the whole genre is populated in and out by teenagers.

sounds like teenager music stuff to me, bub

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

loving milennias

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
this thread is the closest thing most of us will get to experience the cold war paranoia of the late 50s / early 60s or whenever the height of the cold war was, when people were scared as hell of an imaginary enemy; except this time the enemy doesn't partake in an arms race thinly veiled as a race to get the first man on the moon & they don't have nuclear missiles getting depolyed on cuba, and they don't have a huge bad rear end army and millions of guns, but they've got kids named Frandoosh and Jayeiielien who set their own dinner times

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thin...source=Facebook

quote:

On Monday, market research firm YouGov published the results of a survey on British prejudices.

Split into 48 different ethnic, age and gender groups, the poll asked members of the general public to score various social groups on specific positive and negative criteria.

At the bottom of the list came white British men in their twenties.

Young white men are the most derided group in Britain, study finds
Now, as a white British man in my twenties, Im obviously not pleased about this. Whilst I realise that many individuals in my social group may indeed be the tearaways and undesirables that apparently dominate public perception, it seems unfair to tar us all with the same brush.

To find out whether I'm alone in taking umbrage with the 'lad' label, I took to the streets of London to ask as many young white men as I could find about their experience of pulling the anti-social short straw.

Jonathan Wells takes to the streets to find out how young white men react to being hated
When I found Robert, 23, he was sitting on a bench in a train station. Rather than cat-calling nearby girls or starting a fight with the station attendant, he was simply looking at his phone. I asked him what he thought of YouGovs findings.

Will Generation Y ever reach adulthood? ​
I think its strange, says Robert. I dont think you can put people into categories like that anymore. Everyones becoming more accepting and the whole country is becoming more diverse. Whos to say that a white man in his twenties wouldnt act like an Asian man in his thirties? I have friends of different races who are more similar to me than other white men I know.

"Lad culture and banter have characterised our social group, even though not all of us are like that"
But maybe thats the problem, he continues. Maybe because everyones becoming more accepting, and there are less prejudices around race now and more opportunities maybe people of other ethnicities feel like weve been wrongly privileged for too long and are trying to take us down a peg or two."

Could lads' mags and 'banter' culture be to blame for this social prejudice?
At Imperial College, friends Patrick and Ryan disagreed over the possible cause of the negative perception. Although just 19, the students were displeased that they were about to enter the most hated decade of [their] lives.

I think its a labelling issue, says Patrick. If you asked anyone to close their eyes and imagine a young, white 20-year old, theyd probably immediately think up a guy with, like, no hair and a tracksuit smashing up a car or something. I think lad culture and banter have characterised our social group, even though not all of us are like that

"Its the jumper-round-your-shoulders, chino-wearing Oxbridge boys who make people hate young men"
And then all the people who have no dealings with real 20-year olds, and are basing their opinions on the stereotypes you see on the news and Crimewatch, put the rest of us down for no reason. Blame the banter brigade.

No, I think youre wrong, offers Ryan a Biology undergraduate. I think its the jumper-round-your-shoulders, chino-wearing Oxbridge boys who make people hate young men.

Just think about it. Theyre the ones who grow up to be the bankers and the politicians ruining the country, and its during these early years that they make their groups of seedy friends who they stick with for the rest of their lives. Its the posh people who think the world should lay down for them that give young white men a bad name like the people who go to Eton and places like that.

"But I agree that it's far too broad a category. I'd say I 'deride' the haughty posh boys - but that doesnt mean I hate myself.

19-year old Ryan blames bankers and posh boys for giving young white men a bad reputation
Many of the men I spoke to similarly pointed out problems with the structure of the survey, attacking its premise rather than taking issue with the results themselves.

YouGov asked the public to score the various social groups in categories such as likelihood of honesty, intelligence, work ethics, politeness, eagerness to help others, capacity for violence, frequency of sexual encounters and drug and alcohol use. Jonathan, a 27-year-old mortgage advisor at a popular high street bank, believes that asking for responses in this way was only ever going to lead to generalisations.

Young people are lonely - but social media isn't to blame ​
I think youre probably right that some of us are scumbags, he laughs. But I dont consider myself or any of my other friends who fit into the whole 'white men in their twenties' category to be like that. It seems weird though, how many people must be in that group white men in their twenties? Hundreds of thousands, surely?

It just doesnt seem fair to begin with," he continues. "Whoever put this survey together is not only asking you to judge, but also to generalise. I dont believe people like me are statistically more likely to commit crimes, or get drunk or sleep around or whatever they asked, than any other particular ethnicity or similar age group.

"20-year-old white men shouldnt be used as scapegoats like this, we havent done anything wrong.

Though rated highly for intelligence, young white men still came bottom of the survey
However, some individuals who fall into the young white male social group do accept responsibility for the unfavourable results. Matt is a post-graduate student of English Literature. Whilst he believes the structure of the survey to be flawed, he agrees that perhaps young white men are guiltier than we care to admit.

Why young men have fallen out of love with cars ​
I have to say, begins the 21-year old, that when it comes to making sweeping value judgements about whole demographics, I'm not sure criteria such as number of sexual encounters and drinking alcohol are useful as bound up with complex cultural and social issues as they are.

"20-year-old white men shouldnt be used as scapegoats like this, we havent done anything wrong"
But, that said, I'm not surprised by the findings young white men are a very privileged group, and often as a demographic I feel we take that for granted and fail to act with the responsibility that such privilege should come hand-in-hand with.

Many young men believe that the 'White men in their twenties' demographic is too broad to judge
While the men I spoke to offered different reactions to the news that they are part of a reviled demographic, what did remain constant, however, was displeasure at the generalisation associated with the term 'young white men'. They all agreed that lumping ASBO delinquents in with entitled Etonians and everyone in-between did no one any favours.

You could get 48 categories out of white men in their twenties alone, concluded Patrick.

I loving love the header picture

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

this is cute. their having fun as a family

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ace reporting that asks 20-something white men why everyone else hates them.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I don't know if 'white' is accurate, he looks sorta Irish to me

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I don't know if 'white' is accurate, he looks sorta Irish to me

He is uber white, even his hair and iris have barely any color in them.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Nolgthorn posted:

God bless

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
the reason British white men in their twenties feel bad is because of this "PC" terminology of "white men in their twenties" when they should be called what they ARE: chavs

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Grandmother of Five posted:

this thread is the closest thing most of us will get to experience the cold war paranoia of the late 50s / early 60s or whenever the height of the cold war was, when people were scared as hell of an imaginary enemy; except this time the enemy doesn't partake in an arms race thinly veiled as a race to get the first man on the moon & they don't have nuclear missiles getting depolyed on cuba, and they don't have a huge bad rear end army and millions of guns, but they've got kids named Frandoosh and Jayeiielien who set their own dinner times

lol

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nolgthorn posted:

I have seen this being unironically posted by people who are currently or served in the loving coast guard. The worst are the active duty millennial and GEN X people who do not understand anything about WWII and just want to post LOL dumb millennial LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

hackbunny posted:

lol at "movement". no, like all "movements" and "currents" of vaporwave it's just that vektroid is so immensely influential in the genre that each of her releases sparks (sparked, she doesn't even do vaporwave anymore) a "movement" of copycats

like, the obsession with greek statues and malls and slowed down pop music, the "aesthetic". that wasn't a "movement", that was one of vektroid's albums (floral shoppe). the keyboard sample "movement"? another vektroid album, home(tm)

I don't really pay attention. I tried before, but everyone connected to it was pretentious enough that I couldn't get into it. Every time I open up something from r/vaporwave about music production, everyone is jerking themselves dry about not using samples anymore and how they are making their own awful faux mall jazz. I tried to like vaporwave, but the laziness and often the newness of the people who made releases (as in just downloaded Live/FL Studio and made an album of slow loops in a week) turned me off. That's all personal though, because I can see how other people like it and get into the imagery and "vibe" it's going for. I'm not going to say "people can't/shouldn't enjoy this," but for me I can definitely say "I think this is kind of dumb."

nomadologique posted:

sounds like teenager music stuff to me, bub

It is. "Yeaah, I got my own label, man. We have 20 releases on Bandcamp." *Has a melt-down a week later and closes the label and deletes everything*

• Locked thread