Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

According to this guy, having to register your drone is exactly the same as having to register as a sex offender.

I have to register my car. The DMV is treating me like a sex offender :btroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
How did the job of flying ski-Hercules into Antartica fall to the New York ANG anyway?

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

According to this guy, having to register your drone is exactly the same as having to register as a sex offender.

He's being a bit hyperbolic but it's sounding very much like I now have to register and pay $5 to do something that I could do for free yesterday, or face $27k penalties plus being put on the no fly/terrorist watch lists and who knows what else. You can also be sure that it won't stay $5 for long, and now that the fee exists it's never going away. This for something that isn't related to planes or flying in any way, shape, thought, or form. It's particularly galling because it's not likely to have any real impact on the issue of fuckwits flying places they shouldn't, which was already illegal. Won't someone think of the children?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Sweet. That way when they come knocking on my door I'll know exactly which pervert is spying on me with a drone.

Seriously, though, I'm glad my house is already in a no-drone-zone, though I still see them regularly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This guy's a loving moron. Literally says "you have to register if you're a sex offender, so since you have to register as a drone operator, the USA is now treating drone operators like sex offenders."

e: "so there you go, you guys have got to pay $1.66 a year for the privilege of flying your models..." like he doesn't already spend a thousand times that much every year on his hobby

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 16, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone should be required as part of standardized testing to study, memorize, and provide original examples of he main logical fallacies.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Amateur radio operators pay $15 and take a actual "Calculate the current of 200 volts across a 100-ohm resistor" exam. Drone nerds need to stop overreacting about five bucks and clicking a button on a website.

Anyways, a gigantic spinning and buzzing blimp. It's kinda terrifying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWLhH3wsxUo

The inventor's son has some stuff about it and made a video.
http://www.robcrimmins.com/home/engineering/the-cyclocrane/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiU71GFs4Fs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jealous Cow posted:

Everyone should be required as part of standardized testing to study, memorize, and provide original examples of he main logical fallacies.

In my experience, people who know about logical fallacies are worse than people who do not.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

C.M. Kruger posted:

Amateur radio operators pay $15 and take a actual "Calculate the current of 200 volts across a 100-ohm resistor" exam. Drone nerds need to stop overreacting about five bucks and clicking a button on a website.

You pay for the test, but unless you want a vanity callsign, the actual registration is free, and is good for 10 years.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

In my experience, people who know about logical fallacies are worse than people who do not.

They do tend to be somewhat more pedantic.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Sagebrush posted:

e: "so there you go, you guys have got to pay $1.66 a year for the privilege of flying your models..." like he doesn't already spend a thousand times that much every year on his hobby

Don't be obtuse. Government registration, once started, never ceases.

The Feds were tasked with creating some oversight that would help streamline issues with the public. Mandatory registration of all kites and throwing spears is what they came up with.

The government is not your friend here. That new $5 registration fee isn't to help improve the potholes I the sky, friend.

The FAA never ceases to amaze how they can spring up regulations overnight, but can't comply with orders from congress from a decade ago.

I HATE drones (licensed pilot here) but I would certainly help them avoid/rebel against government registration.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ardeem posted:

You only need to register once, and you can put the same number on all three! 

Godholio posted:

Is that true?
Yes, for hobbyist aircraft.

I think FAA isn't considering hobbyist registration to be hobbyist regulation, but as facilitating enforcement, which is how they're including hobbyists in registration.

Regulations for non-hobbyist UASs are not at final rule stage, but are pretty close.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Captain Apollo posted:

Don't be obtuse. Government registration, once started, never ceases.

CB Radio :colbert:

(Used to require a license, and now doesn't)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Dear fellow motorcycle enthusiast:

Compare it to something that people are expected to get and use in the upcoming future.

I am currently not aware of CB radio sales at your local Walmart.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You pay for the test, but unless you want a vanity callsign, the actual registration is free, and is good for 10 years.

Technically the test has no cost, but the ARRL "suggests" $15 to compensate the volunteer examiners for their time, travel costs, materials, etc.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Or literally anything else that can fly without a pilot in it, like kites. I'm also interested in how the amount of money one spends on a hobby affects how one feels about their hobby being hosed with for no reason, particularly when it's being done in a stupidly ham fisted manner that will do nearly nothing to correct the actual issue. It' ok though, I'm sure this will stop at least one child somewhere from being traumatized by an evil kite or park flyer, which makes it all worth it. Lets register bathtubs/showers and hot dogs while we're at it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
And the whole thing isn't because of the multi million dollar hobby. It's a few jagoffs with $1500 to throw at a DJI Phantom, Inspire, or one of the very select, small, subset of R/C toys that are stable enough, have enough run time, and need so little piloting skill, that they can be parked in places that give real pilots a problem.

Addressing this should have been with the manufacturers of the GPS equipped quads.

Apollo, I understand your distaste. I wish there were a better name for the things you hate. I think you'd get a kick out of a race quad, or a r/c pattern, pylon, or other interesting r/c contraption.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

simplefish posted:

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/tzxTiGm

Who needs autorotation? I think a lot of people in this thread forget that each rotor blade is like a little wing, and with 5 of them locked in position, even large helicopters can glide with a surprising degree of manourvrability

Yeah, that's power-on all the time, it's just the ol' "wheels turning backward" camera trick.

Also, when helicopters "glide", the rotor is turning the same speed as when it's flying, for obvious reasons. Hell, the whole point of autorotation is to spin the rotor up by windmilling while you fall, and then haul back on the left stick and convert the rotor's inertia to lift.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Captain Apollo posted:

I am currently not aware of CB radio sales at your local Walmart.

Two aisles down from the handguns in my local Walmart.

Used to be one aisle but they shuffled the ammo around to put more in front of the counter.

Also, please stop with the drone poo poo. Please. I'm asking nicely.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Platystemon posted:

I'll take an insufferable pedant any day over someone whose level of analysis of anything more abstract than a pile of rocks is on par with the "this goes up to 11" guy from Spinal Tap. Jesus loving Christ, I can't stand that. Sorry, nothing to do with this thread, just recent life experience bubbling out. (It is aeronautical though.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

You mean GECAS or some reinsurance company

mlmp08 posted:

loving lol I guess now I know why I always see clowns carrying luggage out of less serious plane accidents.

I hope you get to bid on your sentimental belongings at auction!

Godholio posted:

The gently caress, really? As if I didn't hate flying commercial enough already.
Just to soothe everyone's nerves, I was kidding; I have no idea how that actually works. (But I don't think salvage rights have ever applied to wrecks on land :v:)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol:

It's so insanely stupid I completely bought it. I still hate flying commercial, though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Surprising perhaps nobody in this thread another AS350 Medivac chopper crashed. I swear, we're over half a dozen crashes in the past couple years alone with that model.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/medical-helicopter-crashes-rugged-arizona-3-aboard-n480871

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Advent Horizon posted:

Sweet. That way when they come knocking on my door I'll know exactly which pervert is spying on me with a drone.

Seriously, though, I'm glad my house is already in a no-drone-zone, though I still see them regularly.
No one is spying on you with a wide angle GoPro at 100ft. It's fun to fly that's all.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I thought I had a line on an actual legit scanner but it turned out to be even more of a broken POS than mine. Oh well.
Keep your eyes peeled for the vintage 40s racism.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Dead Reckoning posted:

Just to soothe everyone's nerves, I was kidding; I have no idea how that actually works. (But I don't think salvage rights have ever applied to wrecks on land :v:)

I was waiting to see how far you'd take this.

Anyway I expect it just takes a few hours to a day, depending on resources available at the airport, to reunite passengers with their luggage.

Getting them bussed from the plane to the terminal probably takes anywhere from 1 to several hours as well.

The real time consuming part is getting a tug or other machinery to the disabled airplane and getting it moved. When a Piper Saratoga landed gear-up at Waco Regional airport, the runway was closed for over 8 hours while local authorities figured out how to move it.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Party Plane Jones posted:

Surprising perhaps nobody in this thread another AS350 Medivac chopper crashed. I swear, we're over half a dozen crashes in the past couple years alone with that model.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/medical-helicopter-crashes-rugged-arizona-3-aboard-n480871

I don't think it's the model helicopter thats the problem when it comes to EMS rotor crashes TBH. *~My Wife~* flies on an AS-350 for work and from talking to the pilots at her company its a solid aircraft but with a couple glaring potential gotchas. I would say that the majority of rotor crashes stem from a lack of instrument currency, lack of training, dispatchers pushing crews to fly, the ability to use lower weather minimums without patients, and the common misconception by crews (at least in my mind) that every flight is a "mission" that needs to be completed. I think that last one comes from the fact that many EMS rotor crews, both pilots and medical personnel, are former military and as such have very goal oriented personalities. They have been trained to accept "missions" and do whatever it takes to complete them, even in the face of mounting evidence that they shouldn't be going.

This crash really sucks as it hits very close to home. Hopefully they are able to determine the cause quickly so the rest of us can learn from it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
CLUMSY CLAMBERING is my new favorite phrase.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Keep your eyes peeled for the vintage 40s racism.

It took me awhile to find it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nebakenezzer posted:

It took me awhile to find it

“Darky” is manning a friendly radio station, right?

I’m not understanding why the artist decided it needed that racist touch.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Platystemon posted:

“Darky” is manning a friendly radio station, right?

I’m not understanding why the artist decided it needed that racist touch.

'Darky' was RAF patois for radio direction-finding stations at friendly airfields. There's probably some joke or reference behind it but military slang kinda is what it is.

An example of Japanese technical material.

Chinese air defense posters:

A work-in-progress cutaway

Peter Castle's first airplane cutaway

This guy is just so dang happy with that formation :3:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
"What prop?" made me double-take. Wow, 1940s artist, wow. In the thumbnail I just thought it was something weird with the art and then I expanded to fullsize and uh, nope.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Could someone point out the racism to someone who's not terminally offended at everything?

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
Sorry to temporarily detour back to drone chat but the FAA got back to me about kites:

Thank you for your inquiry. Kites are regulated under Title 14 part 101 of the Federal Code and are not included in the registration requirements for unmanned aircraft systems.

Regards,

Thea Dickerman
FAA UAS Integration Office
https://www.faa.gov/uas

I haven't had a chance to read that section yet to see what actually differentiates them, since the registration PDF didn't really seem to make any kind of exception. I guess we'll see where it goes.

Now back to amazing pictures, thanks for all of those.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

StandardVC10 posted:

How did the job of flying ski-Hercules into Antartica fall to the New York ANG anyway?

From what I've read, they started with regular supply flights to Greenland, and then they were selected to use the same equipment for Antarctica.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

drzrma posted:

Sorry to temporarily detour back to drone chat but the FAA got back to me about kites:

Thank you for your inquiry. Kites are regulated under Title 14 part 101 of the Federal Code and are not included in the registration requirements for unmanned aircraft systems.

Regards,

Thea Dickerman
FAA UAS Integration Office
https://www.faa.gov/uas

I haven't had a chance to read that section yet to see what actually differentiates them, since the registration PDF didn't really seem to make any kind of exception. I guess we'll see where it goes.

Now back to amazing pictures, thanks for all of those.

Now, here commeth the kite bombs... :eek:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Party Plane Jones posted:

They are also one of the most prevalent helicopter types, maybe second if you combine all of the Jet box variants together.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

MrYenko posted:

Could someone point out the racism to someone who's not terminally offended at everything?

Look at the lower-right corner of "Radio Aids." "Darky" is an antiquated racial slur the RAF used in their radio jargon; the illustrator of the chart drew their cartoon to match. Offense has nothing to do with it, it is a historical document.

Tupolev SB-2 nose turret

Tu-2

MiG-3

La-7 cockpit schematic

Il-2 manual pages:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Seven Men in a Boat - to say nothing of the badly beaten Navigator

BMW 801 radial?

I'll be damned, they had GIFs in 1944

Adbot