Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Basebf555 posted:

Its not the stories from the EU that people care about, its that there was a handful of characters created for the EU that ended up being pretty beloved by some fans. Corran Horn, Thrawn, Mara Jade, the Solo twins, and probably some others I'm forgetting. Not many people even remember what happened in the Zahn trilogy but they still love Thrawn for some reason.

That's a...broad claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

That's a...broad claim.

The people that are really into the EU aren't a very diverse group.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'll never understand why people liked Corran Horn, he was just another Stackpole Mary Sue character. I had enough of those in Battletech.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 16, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'll never understand why people liked Corran Horn, he was just another Stackpole Mary Sure character. I had enough of those in Battletech.

I'm the best pilot in the galaxy! And I'm secretly a Jedi! And I have this force power that is so rare!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The only EU characters I care remotely about are Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar and only when i'm pew-pewing Stormtroopers with them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'll never understand why people liked Corran Horn, he was just another Stackpole Mary Sure character. I had enough of those in Battletech.

I enjoyed the X-Wing series as a kid because it felt more serious than the actual movies. Stackpole would let you get to know the whole squadron and then kill one or two of them off in each mission, which was something I wasn't used to in the books I was reading up to that point(I was probably about 9 or 10 years old).

But yea I didn't like Corran Horn that much because even at that young age it annoyed me that he was so obviously the main character that there was no chance anything would ever happen to him. My first experience with plot armor I guess.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Basebf555 posted:

The people that are really into the EU aren't a very diverse group.

That is also a broad claim.

I enjoy both the characters and the stories of the Expanded Universe material.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Beeez posted:

Burl Ives' involvement with various kids' movies is horrifying in retrospect.

Uh..do tell.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh yeah. No fox fanfare. It felt very weird just to have a movie start with a (near?)silent Lucasfilm logo and silent 'long time ago...' then the star wars theme and titlecard right after.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

This is really not complex. A 'canon' story is one that other stories recognize.

That doesn't apply to the Star Wars EU, given that they weren't mentioned beyond little nods in any of the 6 previous films. The Disney canon will be just the same, because only a very small proportion of the people who watch Star Wars read the comics or books.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

drunkill posted:

Oh yeah. No fox fanfare. It felt very weird just to have a movie start with a (near?)silent Lucasfilm logo and silent 'long time ago...' then the star wars theme and titlecard right after.

No Disney intro before the Lucasfilm one? You'd think they would want to drop those nuts on the table after spending billions on this

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
All I want from the movie is for it to be as good as Pacific Rim and/or Guardians of the Galaxy. I know it can't be 4 and 5 level good, but if it's that fun, it's succeeded in my book.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Disney didn't drop their nuts when they started the Marvel films either.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Pre-internet. Things were allowed to be something other than the best or the worst.

99 is not pre-Internet, my friend. It's pre-9/11 tho and early in the cultural wars which has had the side effect of polarizing everything.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

robot roll call posted:

No Disney intro before the Lucasfilm one? You'd think they would want to drop those nuts on the table after spending billions on this

Nope. Just Lucasfilm. As it isn't a kids movie (like Marvel stuff, no disney logo before violent superhero movies)

For my screening it went captain america civil war trailer -> curtains move and screen widens -> Lucasfilm logo - > "a long time ago..." -> smashcut to titlecard and usual star wars intro.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Kinda random question, did anyone ever ask Abrams why he decided to go with such a basic uninspired title instead of sticking with Lucas' naming convention for the series? He may as well have called it Star Wars Begins.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

drunkill posted:

Nope. Just Lucasfilm. As it isn't a kids movie (like Marvel stuff, no disney logo before violent superhero movies)

For my screening it went captain america civil war trailer -> curtains move and screen widens -> Lucasfilm logo - > "a long time ago..." -> smashcut to titlecard and usual star wars intro.

Was there any music over the Lucasfilm logo?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

drunkill posted:

Star Wars is for kids, though. And so are superheroes.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Diabolik900 posted:

Was there any music over the Lucasfilm logo?

Not sure. Audience cheered a little bit, so I can't say for sure. If there was it was quiet and only 2-3 seconds long as it is a short logo sequence.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Cnut the Great posted:

Star Wars is for kids, though. And so are superheroes.

Large chunk of the audience is well into their teens if not downright adult.

Don't matter who it's for. Disney know who will watch it, and know that the Disneything might scare off parts of that demographic so the less space they take up outwards the better for them.

Disney isn't run by idiots. They read that "Marketing for dummies" book.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

99 is not pre-Internet, my friend. It's pre-9/11 tho and early in the cultural wars which has had the side effect of polarizing everything.

Pre-social media may as well be pre-Internet.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I liked it, it was very enjoyable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Pre-social media may as well be pre-Internet.

Stop, stop, you're making me feel old

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Pre-internet. Things were allowed to be something other than the best or the worst.

We had AOL keywords and yahoo news, and we were THANKFUL god drat it

Serf
May 5, 2011

I know my town didn't get the Internet until after TPM. Hell, when I was very young we still had a party line on our road.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

I know my town didn't get the Internet until after TPM. Hell, when I was very young we still had a party line on our road.

Ah, the good old days of actually waiting your turn to actually use the only phone line on the street.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Same here. I can't find a danged thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Internet 1.0 baby. No Myspace, just Livejournal and AOL chat rooms.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

AIM away messages were pretty much proto Facebook statuses but with more passive aggression and Blink182 lyrics.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's 2.0, scarily enough. 1.0 is IRC and newsgroups.

Edit: you guys are killing me. some corner of my mind still considers AIM and ICQ to be new and innovative Internet inventions.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 16, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's 2.0, scarily enough. 1.0 is IRC and newsgroups.

Oh yeah, I forgot we are on 4.0 or whatever now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I remember reading a Phantom Menace review from an email newsletter I was subscribed to. Holy poo poo it's all rushing back to me.

I definitely downloaded the Attack of the Clones trailer from Kazaa.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

weekly font posted:

I remember reading a Phantom Menace review from an email newsletter I was subscribed to. Holy poo poo it's all rushing back to me.

I remember downloading the Phantom Menace trailer and saving it to a ZIP drive.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I remember downloading the TPM trailer in glorious 320x240 Quicktime on our school computer (because the 56.6k modem at home would have taken forever).

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Zoran posted:

What's so bad about Jake Lloyd's performance? To me his Anakin comes across and sweet and childlike but also assertive and a tiny bit rebellious, which seems like a perfectly good representation of 9-year-old Anakin.

The other child actors around him are god-awful, though.

The problem is that Anakin isn't supposed to be yet another 9-year-old kid. He's the chosen one, and he's eventually gonna be Darth Vader. You need more gravitas in your character than that if he's gonna be a child of destiny, and that's true for any story, not just star wars.

Plus they got the wrong kid:
https://youtu.be/GZSnB7yGylc?t=3m6s

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
Saw the movie today, I liked it alot for someone who was never into SW at all. It was entertaining and kept me busy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fred Breakfast posted:

The problem is that Anakin isn't supposed to be yet another 9-year-old kid. He's the chosen one, and he's eventually gonna be Darth Vader. You need more gravitas in your character than that if he's gonna be a child of destiny, and that's true for any story, not just star wars.

Plus they got the wrong kid:
https://youtu.be/GZSnB7yGylc?t=3m6s

As always, the problem is wanting a different story to be told. It is significant that Darth Vader is only cool because of his James Earl Jones voice modulator.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

As always, the problem is wanting a different story to be told. It is significant that Darth Vader is only cool because of his James Earl Jones voice modulator.

Yeah, heaven forbid the audience actually ask for a good story. Jesus Christ that is the dumbest loving argument....

EDIT: You know what? That's not even the drat point that was being made. Look at that video again. That kid was saying the exact same lines that Jake Lloyd yet still did more with the role. This isn't a fundamental change in the story in any way whatsoever; rather it's a better execution of it. Put that other kid in with the exact same lines and chances are you would've had a better movie.

Fred Breakfast fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 16, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fred Breakfast posted:

Yeah, heaven forbid the audience actually ask for a good story. Jesus Christ that is the dumbest loving argument....

It's more productive to discuss the film that's in the projector than the film that's in your imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

He should have sounded as James Earl Jones as a 9 year old. No explanation why.

• Locked thread