Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Agreed, Thaumcraft is a pain to get into, but unlike Gregtech it's not a pain in the name of balance drudgery (ok maybe a little bit), it's a pain in the name of theme and style. It's SO stylish, but I just wish its applicable things like the equivalent exchange wand were easier to get without going hours deep into the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Thaumcraft and Botania intertwine nicely and are my go to pair of "magical mods" when im feeling low-tech.

Speaking of, is there a good updated list of all the crazy addons to Thaumcraft?

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Thyrork posted:

Speaking of, is there a good updated list of all the crazy addons to Thaumcraft?

Depends on your personal taste and tolerance for varying quality (most addons are not as polished as Thaumcraft itself), but the only one I really like is Automagy. It's really well designed, meshes with the base mod well, and offers a lot of genuinely useful features that aren't just single-block power enhancers.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Goncyn posted:

Depends on your personal taste and tolerance for varying quality (most addons are not as polished as Thaumcraft itself), but the only one I really like is Automagy. It's really well designed, meshes with the base mod well, and offers a lot of genuinely useful features that aren't just single-block power enhancers.

That liquid boiler is loving genius.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, Rocko B. I think one of the Bear Grylls quests in BFSR is broken. The one where it tells you to made a stone rod to make torches can't be completed using the directions provided - two stone/cobblestone makes a TC stone tool rod, not a Microblocks stone rod. You can still make a torch out of it but it doesn't complete the quest.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Liquid boiler's great, the hourglass would be really neat if not for botania, and the one annoying thing is that a lot of the items are really materials-heavy to make. I've never liked golems, but if you like those little guys the workbench is apparently really good. Some of the redstone stuff is useful if you're using a magic-themed pack or aren't using any of the myriad better redstone options.

If you're using AE2, you absolutely need the thaumic integration mod, because digital jars make thaumcraft so much more fun, even if it is frustratingly buggy for some edge cases (in blightfall).

Danger Mahoney posted:

Hey, Rocko B. I think one of the Bear Grylls quests in BFSR is broken. The one where it tells you to made a stone rod to make torches can't be completed using the directions provided - two stone/cobblestone makes a TC stone tool rod, not a Microblocks stone rod. You can still make a torch out of it but it doesn't complete the quest.

It's a known issue, getting fixed in the next version. There was chatter a few pages back about it.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 16, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Danger Mahoney posted:

I think you figured it out in more detail. I had heard about it but wasn't sure what was going on. So I had previously just kind of banged my head on it. I don't know if I technically fixed it, but I think I can be sure now.

I'm planning to upload a new version this weekend since I have a few cumulative quest book fixes.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh okay, didn't see the chatter earlier! Thanks for the pack, it's really great for learning about mods you haven't messed with much.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Automagy promises me something really cool(AE with magic! whoo!) and reveals a thaumonomicon page full of research on how to output redstone on the number of items in a series of chests which I can't possibly think of a use for except as a research requirement for another building block of fringe use before you can get one part of a dozen parts needed for the magical AE system

maybe I'm just a boring guy, but the floating brains are just not doing it for me enough when I know the blue one for essentia is essentially useless when we have mirrors?

The Technomancy essentia coils are also less useful but look so drat cool I can't resist 'em

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Blind Duke posted:

Automagy promises me something really cool(AE with magic! whoo!) and reveals ... floating brains

You're not wrong about the Inventarium. It's pretty tedious to do anything serious with it. I just like Automagy's redstone features, really.

Has anyone in here ever done anything non-trivial with OpenComputers? I just finally took a serious look at it, and I'm really impressed by the detail and care that went into making a Minecraftian flavor of how computers actually work. Then I started poking around for YouTubes or any evidence of the creative possibilities hinted at by the manual, and I found ... a robot mining an 8x8 square. And a Big Reactor control program. (Okay the latter is pretty cool but surely someone has done something neat with drones and robots and ???)

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Goncyn posted:

Has anyone in here ever done anything non-trivial with OpenComputers? I just finally took a serious look at it, and I'm really impressed by the detail and care that went into making a Minecraftian flavor of how computers actually work. Then I started poking around for YouTubes or any evidence of the creative possibilities hinted at by the manual, and I found ... a robot mining an 8x8 square. And a Big Reactor control program. (Okay the latter is pretty cool but surely someone has done something neat with drones and robots and ???)
Not quite what you're asking for but I once made an essentia storage/distilling system using ComputerCraft. I believe this was for 1.6 though, before thaumic energistics was a thing.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
That's pretty neat. You happen to still have the code? Seems ComputerCraft is more popular, but I really like the way you build computers from individual components in OpenComputers.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Goncyn posted:

That's pretty neat. You happen to still have the code? Seems ComputerCraft is more popular, but I really like the way you build computers from individual components in OpenComputers.
Looks like it's all still on pastebin, since that's the easiest way to load it into the game.

http://pastebin.com/2GyNP5fM
http://pastebin.com/A0vbaEXk
http://pastebin.com/1ZWVxDs5

I can't take full credit because I think a bunch of the code was stolen from somewhere else and tweaked to what I was trying to do (the dead giveaway is that there are actually comments in the code). But it was a neat little project at the time. Nowadays I'm sure you could do it much simpler with AE2.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Goncyn posted:

It seems like OpenComputers just has you spend a ridiculous amount of time putting together a bunch of aggrivating little chips that are used to make other chips that are used to make other chips that are used to make other chips, and it's not like you'd automate them since you don't need that many computers, since the sheer amount of recipes involved would make automation really tough.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 18, 2015

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Wolpertinger posted:

It seems like OpenComputers just has you spend a ridiculous amount of time putting together a bunch of aggrivating little chips that are used to make other chips that are used to make other chips that are used to make other chips, and it's not like you'd automate them since you don't need that many computers, since the sheer amount of recipes involved would make automation really tough.

Interesting. I haven't actually used the mod in a survival world yet, so I'm curious what I'll think of it when I do. I really, really dislike super-deep crafting trees because it mostly just adds tedium when it comes down to it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
so is there a trick to getting a specific thing when using mutanadis in witchery

i've used like 150 in Regrowth trying to get glint weed and gotten literally everything else at least 3 times, no glint weed

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Goncyn posted:

Interesting. I haven't actually used the mod in a survival world yet, so I'm curious what I'll think of it when I do. I really, really dislike super-deep crafting trees because it mostly just adds tedium when it comes down to it.
IMO, it takes long enough to get the code doing what you want it to. If there was a bunch of dumb crafting on top of it it probably wouldn't be worth it. There's almost always some other way to do what you want.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

President Ark posted:

so is there a trick to getting a specific thing when using mutanadis in witchery

i've used like 150 in Regrowth trying to get glint weed and gotten literally everything else at least 3 times, no glint weed
Nope, the problem is biomes XL stuff is clogging the random things you can get, which makes the 2 useful plants you specifically need have a vanishingly small percentage chance of happening. I ended up cheating them in after using two full legitimate stacks of mutandis.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Bhodi posted:

Nope, the problem is biomes XL stuff is clogging the random things you can get, which makes the 2 useful plants you specifically need have a vanishingly small percentage chance of happening. I ended up cheating them in after using two full legitimate stacks of mutandis.

at this point i have absolutely no problem doing that, so what would i need to do for that

i'm assuming setting it to LAN mode so i have op is step one

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Oh, no need to do that. Hit E, hit Options, then inventory, then the W next to 'Item Mode' and click until it says "Cheat Mode", then just find the item in NEI and left click for a stack and right click for a single item. To go back, select item mode again. You only need to go into lan mode to use the slash commands like /keepinventory true.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

in a single player world you might not have cheats on, which means NEI cant help you

if so then yeah switch to lan mode with cheats on then give yourself the item

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Glory of Arioch posted:

in a single player world you might not have cheats on, which means NEI cant help you

if so then yeah switch to lan mode with cheats on then give yourself the item

NEI can help you with cheats off but you need to switch from GLOBAL to WORLD and right click on the W beside the cheat/utility/recipe mode setting. If you change GLOBAL to cheat mode but have the world use its own setting rather than the global ones you can't cheat anything in. But if you switch WORLD to cheat mode or have it run on GLOBAL and have cheat mode on there you can cheat stuff in.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Bhodi posted:

Mutandis really should just be for vanilla and witch plants. Does not play well with including other mods

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Oh, no need to do that. Hit E, hit Options, then inventory, then the W next to 'Item Mode' and click until it says "Cheat Mode", then just find the item in NEI and left click for a stack and right click for a single item. To go back, select item mode again. You only need to go into lan mode to use the slash commands like /keepinventory true.

Ok i need to try this. ive always opened lan with cheats the used /give. which for witchery does absolutely loving nothing as you cant get the id's.

I ended up setting world to peaceful to get past the portal in the nether. The i got lost. The i built a portal in the nether to get out. Then i got lost.

Regrowth needs a map like blightfall.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

Ok i need to try this. ive always opened lan with cheats the used /give. which for witchery does absolutely loving nothing as you cant get the id's.

I ended up setting world to peaceful to get past the portal in the nether. The i got lost. The i built a portal in the nether to get out. Then i got lost.

Regrowth needs a map like blightfall.

You could just have gone into creative mode then use the creative menu to find/spawn the items you want, no messing around with "/give", and if you have a map like journeymap then you can just teleport to waypoints if you are in creative or cheats are on.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My little scheme of using an RFTools dimension for a start tutorial dimension in BFSR has been further thwarted. I set up a dimension through RFTools' creative dimension builder, went in, doodled a bit, and saved. I then tried to move that save over as my template for the Lockdown mod. I deleted all the DIM folders except DIM2. When I started up a new game, it sure does fart around, but I just wind up in the overworld. First, is dimension #2 what I want? Maybe I am blowing that. If so, how is this supposed to work? I want the player to start in my dimension, and then eventually have them shuffle off to the overworld.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My little scheme of using an RFTools dimension for a start tutorial dimension in BFSR has been further thwarted. I set up a dimension through RFTools' creative dimension builder, went in, doodled a bit, and saved. I then tried to move that save over as my template for the Lockdown mod. I deleted all the DIM folders except DIM2. When I started up a new game, it sure does fart around, but I just wind up in the overworld. First, is dimension #2 what I want? Maybe I am blowing that. If so, how is this supposed to work? I want the player to start in my dimension, and then eventually have them shuffle off to the overworld.

You could make your custom dimension overworld and then move to a custom dimension that is treated as Overworld,

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

TheresaJayne posted:

You could make your custom dimension overworld and then move to a custom dimension that is treated as Overworld,

It seems like it'd be easier/safer/less likely to horribly conflict with other mods to find a way to force players to spawn in the overworld and immediately teleport to the tutorial dimension. Alternatively, if you don't mind having a nonrandom overworld, you can start the player in a bedrock box with a few signs telling the person what's up and a portal to whichever dimension (for an example of this, boot up the mod Banished)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was about to say my next plan was going to be trying to even teleport to dimension 2 and then maybe set that up. It looks like the whole thing is just messed up. When I do /rftdim list, dimension 2 isn't even there. I'm assuming something is choking in Lockdown. Or rather, me just deleting the DIM folders from the save I put in the Lockdown template was inadequate.

How does one properly delete dimensions? Like, how would I delete the overworld to have it regenerate normally?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I know ME^4 starts you in The End, maybe you can go looking at how that modpack did that?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I'm going to run a small minecraft server (on an actual server no less!) for an after school club. We're going to go into modding a bit, but the last time I did that was when Bukkit was a big thing. Now I'm seeing Forge mentioned everywhere but I've been out of the loop. What's the best thing to get setup on this server for students to tinker with and me to be able to install more popular stuff? I really liked I think technic a while back, but I see it has it's own launcher. Solar panels and that macerator thing were fun. Any tips? Thanks.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

You could just have gone into creative mode then use the creative menu to find/spawn the items you want, no messing around with "/give", and if you have a map like journeymap then you can just teleport to waypoints if you are in creative or cheats are on.

So even when ive been cheating ive still been doing it the hard way >< my google skills suck.

Might open up regrowth a bit later and give these a shot.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Goncyn posted:

In Etho's modded series, he used one of the computer mods, AE2, and a PneumaticCraft machine that allows remote inventory manipulation to set up a system where he can retrieve, craft, and store items anywhere in his world through chat commands. He goes over a bit of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQawzDGM4sk

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hey, I know this might not be the right thread for it but this is the only minecraft thread I could find. For the console update is it normal if certain updates won't load in an old file? Example rabbits, new biomes and certain kinds of flowers. I'm curious if I have to make a new file to access those. Sorry if this is a pain in the rear end.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Hey, I know this might not be the right thread for it but this is the only minecraft thread I could find. For the console update is it normal if certain updates won't load in an old file? Example rabbits, new biomes and certain kinds of flowers. I'm curious if I have to make a new file to access those. Sorry if this is a pain in the rear end.

I have no idea, but how do the console version measure up to the pc version?

I got my son a super cheap pc that plugged into the tv so he could play there. The game ran pretty badly. Upgraded to windows 10 and got the windows 10 beta version, and while it runs pretty smoothly, its missing a whole heap of bits. So my son plays on the pc still ><

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So far it's running fine. Textures are really good with minimum lag. My problem is I think certain updates don't pertain to old files I haven't found a single rabbit and i suspect I won't be finding any new biomes or ocean monuments either. :(

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I've got the components of Babby's First ME Network setup, but now I need to power it. After my aborted attempts before finding the Vibration Chamber that could power my Crystal Growth Accelerators, I'm a little dubious about this. And it doesn't help that the generators I'm seeing all have caveats about blowing up.

Is there a simple, efficient-ish generator that I can use to power my ME network? The Vibration Chamber eats insane amounts of fuel, too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

I've got the components of Babby's First ME Network setup, but now I need to power it. After my aborted attempts before finding the Vibration Chamber that could power my Crystal Growth Accelerators, I'm a little dubious about this. And it doesn't help that the generators I'm seeing all have caveats about blowing up.

Is there a simple, efficient-ish generator that I can use to power my ME network? The Vibration Chamber eats insane amounts of fuel, too.

What mods do you have? The Energy Acceptor from AE accepts RF power.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Glory of Arioch posted:

What mods do you have? The Energy Acceptor from AE accepts RF power.

Oh, I'm running FTB. I have a few RF things set up, I'll see about shoving some of those next to an energy acceptor.

For the RF dealies, is there a good progression to use to transition up from shoving stacks of Scaffolding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

Oh, I'm running FTB. I have a few RF things set up, I'll see about shoving some of those next to an energy acceptor.

For the RF dealies, is there a good progression to use to transition up from shoving stacks of Scaffolding?

i am not sure what mods FTB has but i usually go magma dynamo to big reactors

even a minimum sized big reactor with 1 fuel rod is great to get started