Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So how do you tell whats in this "depot" ? I have bought/elited every US ship in each branch up to tier 5 or 6, but I don't have all of them in my port currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Hazdoc posted:

uhoh, i think you've got a bad case of your WAIFU BEING TRASH

When there's a YuudachiPoiPoi on one team and a Yuudachi_PoiPoi on the other, something is seriously wrong.

I bitterly regret not getting a screencap.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Watching the first episode doesn't make the "poi" business any better. No loving clue what it means or what it's about. Just ... wtf

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cobbsprite posted:

Watching the first episode doesn't make the "poi" business any better. No loving clue what it means or what it's about. Just ... wtf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_707R

For some reason this played on one of the Encore/Starz channels *years* ago and I watched it. I remember very little other than there were aircraft carriers that could land airliners and *submerge*...oh yeah, and because ~Japan~, the portly Captain's first officer had a *disturbingly* visible crush on the Captain's pre-pubescent daughter. Again, because ~Japan~.

Pretty sure this thing would cause a measurable tsunami if it ever got near land:

And yes, that's the super-mega-ultra carrier that was also able to submerge. Because *reasons*.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 15, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

God, that's a nerdy article.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

In related news I tried watching an episode of the Arpeggio tie in anime deal and as I was expecting it was atrocious Like all anime

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Even arpeggio fans say the anime is bad so no surprise there

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

PerrineClostermann posted:

Even arpeggio fans say the anime is bad so no surprise there

Is this the Arpeggio anime, or is there a special tie-in anime for Arpeggio/WoWs?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I made a new channel called FloatDownHere, password is lljk .

It should persist past hosting it, so come in if you want to chat or something since everyone seems to really dislike idling in Teamspeak

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Earlier I was playing ranked and watch a Fuso lose the game for his team by sailing down the side of the map, as far away as possible from the action. He was at nearly full HP and all torpedo-carrying ships on the enemy team were dead. Thanks to him being a fuckup, a nearly-dead New Mexico, the sole surviving ship on the opposing team, was able to kill a New York and a Bogue and cap their point (oh yeah, he never capped the other point).

Fortunately I was the New Mex there :getin:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lakedaimon posted:

Trying to snipe at near maximum range is generally a bad idea in any ship. I mean if you have a 15km range and your only realistic target is 14km away go ahead and shoot, but most ships will not hit a sweet spot until the target is at about 75% range or less. But the bigger and slower the target, the easier they are to hit. Some ships have relatively low muzzle velocity - the most notable example is the Cleveland. While it has good firepower, the shells have a long travel time and are poorly suited to hitting maneuvering targets beyond 10km. Once you get close though it can quickly overwhelm targets with a heavy weight of fire.

With ships that have their main armament heavily weighted to the bow (e.g. North Carolina, Iowa, Izumo, Yamato, Aoba) don't fret about getting your rear turret involved if it means exposing your broadside to a enemy shooting back. On the other hand ships like the Myogi, Amagi, Konigsberg etc can kite really well (run away and shoot at ships chasing you) because their main armament favors the stern of the ship. IJN cruisers can also drop torpedo spreads at ships chasing them.

What ships are you playing right now?

These are the ones I've been playing recently, been doing ranked.
They're all fun and I'm doing decently, I just worry that I've got good aim and instead of playing to the ships' strengths, I'm forcing square pegs into round holes.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

These are the ones I've been playing recently, been doing ranked.
They're all fun and I'm doing decently, I just worry that I've got good aim and instead of playing to the ships' strengths, I'm forcing square pegs into round holes.

Once you have aiming down pretty good, I think the next crucial skill is knowing when you use AP and when to use HE.

Ships that are very vulnerable to Cruiser AP: All IJN cruisers, Phoenix, Omaha, Pensacola, German Cruisers

After that I think the hardest skill to develop is thinking ahead. Is there any chance a DD is nearby? Change course now and then. If you know one is nearby, its often best to sail right at him (if you're in a cruiser). Most DD captains will shoot their load early and its far easier to dodge that way.
Guessing where the enemy carriers are, or trying to figure out where that missing enemy ship is going and what hes up to. Carrier planes due back soon? Check to see if any buddies with good AA are nearby, or maybe that Battleship on your team could use some cover so scoot over there before the planes show up. That kind of thing.

Just had a monster 190k damage game in the Amagi. 6 kills, Confederate, High Caliber. Team still almost lost it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Was just in a Nagato game with 4x Kageros, 3x Fletchers, 2x Fubukis and a Benson. Just lol. Best part is that it was one of those giant center cap games, so it was just wave after wave of torps crossing the middle. Worst game I've seen in a while.

cheese fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 16, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
carriers
Carriers
CARRIERS!

AAAAAAAARGH

I swear i'm just gonna grind US CAs and get a Des Moines and murder the poo poo out of every plane I see forever

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hazdoc posted:

carriers
Carriers
CARRIERS!

AAAAAAAARGH

I swear i'm just gonna grind US CAs and get a Des Moines and murder the poo poo out of every plane I see forever

Are carriers still that much of a problem at higher tiers?
Tier 6 and 7, you never see any. It feels to me like they are inexistant at those tiers.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Hazdoc posted:

carriers
Carriers
CARRIERS!

AAAAAAAARGH

Shame there is nothing redeeming about the DM other than its AA barrage.

Distracted
Jun 9, 2010

The pubbies in ranked battles are worse than the pubbies in random battles. This is a waking nightmare.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wdarkk posted:

Is this the Arpeggio anime, or is there a special tie-in anime for Arpeggio/WoWs?

Oh I assumed he was talking about the proper show. How would an actual crossover even work? None of these games have a proper story right

Or is wargaming lore too deep for me?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

PerrineClostermann posted:

Oh I assumed he was talking about the proper show. How would an actual crossover even work? None of these games have a proper story right

Or is wargaming lore too deep for me?

world of warships is the ghosts of ships past constantly rising from their graves to do battle over points and occasionally screaming "poi" into the void before sinking, 20 minutes later, only to do it all over again

so basically a plot on the level of most anime i guess

cheese posted:

Shame there is nothing redeeming about the DM other than its AA barrage.
it shoots really fast, thats cool

ALSO JESUS CHRIST ALMIGHTY I finally got out of the pepsicola and the new orleans STOCK is already a vastly superior experience
wow
I actually bounced AP shells, it was a miracle

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Just out of curiosity, what are everyone's favourite and least favorite ships to play at the moment?

I'm up to Tier 6 for IJN BBs, have dabbled in various other classes but not played the US or USSR trees at all so far.

Good and Fun:

- Warspite: Aside from being :britain: I feel that its strengths and weaknesses have helped me play the wole game better.
- Kongo: Probably the most solid all-round ship I've played so far. Never feels like I'm compensating for a glaring weakness.
- Fuso: 12-gun AP smash is incredibly satsfying. That Grey-Gold-Red *chik-shwing-kerdonk* from one-shotting a cruiser is just :allears:
- Kuma: Great way to get revenge against all those DDs that sank me in the above three.

Crap and Fun:

Mikasa: Because it's like driving a ferry where all your passengers are guns.

Just Kind of Crap:

Kawachi: I really wanted to like it, but it was so bad at everything. Getting XP in it feels like scraping together loose change from a bad paper round.

Izumo: I haven't played it, but I see it in the distance and I already know I'm not going to like it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The best boat is the mighty Taco. If you win, awesome, you won with the power of the Taco. If you lose, you have a ready-made excuse because the Furutaka is still pretty bad next to the Omaha, even with the buffs.

Also really enjoyed the Clemson for bullying other DDs in thunderdome back when I played, but that weird Chinese boat game gives me my Destroyer fix a lot better now.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Night10194 posted:

The best boat is the mighty Taco. If you win, awesome, you won with the power of the Taco. If you lose, you have a ready-made excuse because the Furutaka is still pretty bad next to the Omaha, even with the buffs.

Also really enjoyed the Clemson for bullying other DDs in thunderdome back when I played, but that weird Chinese boat game gives me my Destroyer fix a lot better now.

the furutaka is still pretty garbage

the clemson owns but really the US DDs all have pretty bad gun ballistics, you can out-DPS RUS DDs but you need to get close or have better aim.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Tirranek posted:

Just out of curiosity, what are everyone's favourite and least favorite ships to play at the moment?

I'm up to Tier 7, the Myoko on IJN, the Cleveland on the US side and the Koenigsberg for the Germans.

Good and Fun:

- Tirpitz: It's a giant, overgrown cruiser that can take a surprising amount of punishment. I rarely have a bad game in it. I have secondaries maxed out, so they shoot to a range of ~7.5 km. It's a fun ship to just get in and brawl.
- Atago: Much improved with the Repair Party. It may be a Myoko, but 11km detection range, 40k hitpoints, and now Repair Party make it a beastly ship.
- Murmansk: I had been regretting selling my Omaha Hull C. I have the Marblehead, but it's a bit more sluggish and less AA.
- Aoba: Fun ship because it's often underestimated. 8" main batteries with a 10 second reload made citadeling the crap out of Omaha's, Phoneixes, and IJN cruisers very enjoyable.
- St. Louis: Just a beast for its tier.

So-so, but still Fun:

Isokaze: That ship was very hit or miss for me. Sometimes I would have amazing games and other times, not so much. It's probably my bad habit of charging in from the get go.

Just Kind of Crap:

Kawachi: I really wanted to like it, but it was so bad at everything. Getting XP in it feels like scraping together loose change from a bad paper round. The dispersion and range was awful.

Myogi: The gun layout is just so annoying. It's okay if you want to kite, but lovely dispersion long reload, and less RNG love because only 6 guns makes it a big pain in the rear end.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And yes, that's the super-mega-ultra carrier that was also able to submerge. Because *reasons*.

Could it ever get near most continents? I mean poo poo I have heard about deep water ports but this would be ridiculous. What would the draft be on that ship?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Tirranek posted:

- Fuso: 12-gun AP smash is incredibly satsfying. That Grey-Gold-Red *chik-shwing-kerdonk* from one-shotting a cruiser is just :allears:

Now imagine that you always had 6 of those guns ready to fire, and became indestructible the moment you turn your nose to the enemy. That's the New Mexico.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffytUiHnAak
ANIMEANIMEANIMEANIMEANIME

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I feel dirty after watching that..

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I almost feel bad, because I'm so totally up for having glowing ships that shoot laser shells.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Thanks FartGod for the game late last night, you pulled out a clutch wind at the end.

Definitely going to use the FloatDownHere pw lljk channel in future, squadding with goons is much more fun / lucrative.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So recently I had a round in my U-VIIC and suddenly found myself surrounded by an A-Class, a Yubari and a Königsberg.

I quickly submerged deep and stopped my engines so I could avoid their sonar. After an ineffective depth charge run I came back to shallow depth and pumped them full of torps!

Oh wait wrong, better game.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Michaellaneous posted:

So recently I had a round in my U-VIIC and suddenly found myself surrounded by an A-Class, a Yubari and a Königsberg.

I quickly submerged deep and stopped my engines so I could avoid their sonar. After an ineffective depth charge run I came back to shallow depth and pumped them full of torps!

Oh wait wrong, better game.

im sure it is

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
There was a pissing match about this 5 months ago or so...

Kagero... worth getting the 20km torps? Extra Damage, More Speed.... vs detection range?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

jownzy posted:

Kagero... worth getting the 20km torps? Extra Damage, More Speed.... vs detection range?

The amount of warning you have before torpedoes hit (detection range / speed) is just a function of the torpedo diameter. The upgraded torpedoes won't be any different in that regard.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Just got the York and holy gently caress that turret rotation. I'm going to just leave it alone until the patch drops with the turret speed buff.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

uhh, yeah? the type93s are ridiculously good. Detection-wise, the Mutsuki's 10km torps have 11 seconds of reaction time to them. The Fubuki's 15km torps have 11.4 seconds of reaction time. The Type93s of the Kagero and Shimakaze have 11.3, so its virtually the same as all other high-tier IJN torps, except they get to the target faster, hit harder, can reach further, and suffer less if they're detected early.

Just to put the ridiculousness of high tier IJN torps reaction time into perspective, however, the Minekaze's 7km torps have 8.5 seconds of reaction time before impact. The Fletcher and Gearing? Their torps have 8.7 seconds. The buff to torpedo detection radius will be very helpful in undoing the current glut of BBs in the high tiers, though pubbie BB players seem to be the biggest whiners.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

uhh, yeah? the type93s are ridiculously good. Detection-wise, the Mutsuki's 10km torps have 11 seconds of reaction time to them. The Fubuki's 15km torps have 11.4 seconds of reaction time. The Type93s of the Kagero and Shimakaze have 11.3, so its virtually the same as all other high-tier IJN torps, except they get to the target faster, hit harder, can reach further, and suffer less if they're detected early.

Just to put the ridiculousness of high tier IJN torps reaction time into perspective, however, the Minekaze's 7km torps have 8.5 seconds of reaction time before impact. The Fletcher and Gearing? Their torps have 8.7 seconds. The buff to torpedo detection radius will be very helpful in undoing the current glut of BBs in the high tiers, though pubbie BB players seem to be the biggest whiners.

it sounds like that one dumb T8 upgrade will give 20% to torpedo detection, so that will nullify the torpedo buff if you are willing to spend the 2 million spacebucks. Of course thats where the rudder nerf for big battleships will help DDs.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

quote:

Congratulations for placing in the top 100 of the Tirpitz In Game Competition
Captain!
Your hard work and effort has earned you 500 doubloons, 3 days premium, and 1 port slot.
Enjoy!
NikoPower
what the gently caress there was a competition?
OH WELL FREE STUFF

I legit thought this was the alienware code actually working delayed, fuckin wow

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Pacra posted:

Thanks FartGod for the game late last night, you pulled out a clutch wind at the end.

Definitely going to use the FloatDownHere pw lljk channel in future, squadding with goons is much more fun / lucrative.

You're welcome! First goon game went very well.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I just played with Hazdoc and he didn't sign my bote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TSBX posted:

I just played with Hazdoc and he didn't sign my bote.

poi