Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

weekly font posted:

Talking about how conveniently placed things are in an expansive galaxy ignores the entirety of Star Wars to this point.

The first movies had some sense of geography, where they jump to lightspeed at Tatooine, and then sit around waiting for hours - they have enough time for a game of chess, some lightsabre training before arriving in the Alderaan system. You had a sense of size and distance, as well as the concept of travel.

Now ships are in lightspeed for seconds, and each planet has the surface area of about 5 square miles, so everything jams up against itself so where is the challenge or the journey ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
It wasn't good guys. It doesn't have any of the inventiveness or creativity of any of the other films. It's just the same old poo poo, but shot with steadycam and starring quippy 2015 millennials.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

ShineDog posted:

Pimply teenager is 32.

Then the makeup and costuming team have failed utterly. With the mask off the audience does not accept him as a villain at all, and so they have to sacrifice a character to try to resolve the problem, and it still doesn't work.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think Adam Driver can be pretty scary looking.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Margin Luther King posted:

It wasn't good guys. It doesn't have any of the inventiveness or creativity of any of the other films. It's just the same old poo poo, but shot with steadycam and starring quippy 2015 millennials.

Sounds like you hate Star Wars movies.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

So for those who have seen it, how were the performances, especially by characters we'll see a lot of?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

iSheep posted:

If there's one complaint that's going to make me write off a person's opinion about a movie, it's complaining that it stars "Millennials".

It's. loving. Wack.

This too. Stunning review.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Seriously. The stars of original movies were in their 20's in ANH. What a loving worthless piece of criticism.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm so sorry but I had to.

Thanks. I re-posted this on the Facebook page of a local racist organization.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hammerstein posted:

Thanks. I re-posted this on the Facebook page of a local racist organization.

I apparently made a 28 year old man cry.

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe

iSheep posted:

No, I love Star Wars movies. I love all the new ideas and fantastical creatures and places we see in every one of them. Every single Star Wars movie has taken us to at least one new planet unlike any we've seen before. Not this one! But enjoy your confirmation bias and delight at seeing familiar things.

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
I don't think the cast is terrible. In fact, I think they're mostly good actors, and sometimes charming. I just think a lot of the dialogue - much of it hacky comedy beats we've seen before - doesn't fit Star Wars. (That's of course, when the dialogue isn't rivaling the most stilted moments of the prequels.) I guess I'm sorry I used the word "millennials."

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

evilbastard posted:

Then the makeup and costuming team have failed utterly. With the mask off the audience does not accept him as a villain at all, and so they have to sacrifice a character to try to resolve the problem, and it still doesn't work.

Well he took a lightsaber to the face so he'll have a scar for the other movies at least.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is Bb-8 cool? Is Phasma badass? Is Poe a worthy successor to Wedge? Does Ello Asty survive? These are the important questions.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I liked it overall, but why does JJ Abrams love 9/11'ing everything with no exploration or follow-up? He did it at the end of Into Darkness, and this time he killed off billions of people (entire planets) with no acknowledgement or connection to the scope of such a tragedy.

I get that "kill millions of people violently" is a good way to tell us that the bad guys are in fact pretty bad, but it seems awkward that everyone's celebrating and jumping around at the end when whole civilizations have been eradicated.

With Alderaan we had a human connection at least through Leia...

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

BB8 and Poe were the best characters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/%85/star-wars-the-force-awakens-r%85
i have never liked farci much, but this review is encouraging. it sounds like it plays it a little to safe with some plot beats but the characters and villain are great.

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is Bb-8 cool? Is Phasma badass? Is Poe a worthy successor to Wedge? Does Ello Asty survive? These are the important questions.

Phasma is in... maybe 6 minutes of the movie? And is never shown to be particularly badass.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Kylo Ren roll call: who else loves the poo poo out of him? I'm so here for this weeaboo trembly manchild who can be scary in one scene and oddly hilarious in the next.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Does Ello Asty survive? These are the important questions.
Wait, noted Beastie Boys fan JJ Abrams actually called a character "Ello Asty"? Is there also an Auls Outique?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

smoobles posted:

I liked it overall, but why does JJ Abrams love 9/11'ing everything with no exploration or follow-up? He did it at the end of Into Darkness, and this time he killed off billions of people (entire planets) with no acknowledgement or connection to the scope of such a tragedy.

I get that "kill millions of people violently" is a good way to tell us that the bad guys are in fact pretty bad, but it seems awkward that everyone's celebrating and jumping around at the end when whole civilizations have been eradicated.

Leia had a moment of "...no." When we next see her she's smirking and making height jokes, and never refers to Alderaan again. Hell, she comforts Luke more after he loses Obi-Wan, a man he just met, than she gets herself, having just lost her father and home planet.

There was absolutely zero exploration of the death of millions in A New Hope, and plenty of "celebrating and jumping around at the end", so I'm not getting the complaint about this one over A New Hope. If you didn't like it here, you shouldn't have liked it...in Star Wars...

Oh poo poo, I understand SMG now.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

Leia had a moment of "...no." When we next see her she's smirking and making height jokes, and never refers to Alderaan again. Hell, she comforts Luke more after he loses Obi-Wan, a man he just met, than she gets herself, having just lost her father and home planet.

There was absolutely zero exploration of the death of millions in A New Hope, and plenty of "celebrating and jumping around at the end", so I'm not getting the complaint about this one over A New Hope. If you didn't like it here, you shouldn't have liked it...in Star Wars...

Oh poo poo, I understand SMG now.

Yeah you're absolutely right, I think I had a bit of rose colored glasses going on.

The sequence looked cool though.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

For those that have seen it, after the crawl does the view pan down through the starfield, then focus on a ship?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
As a nitpicky bastard, we also get some of the impact of Alderaan via Obi-Wan feeling it occurring via the Force. Millions of voices crying out, then silenced forever. Including for the rest of the movie, I guess!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

I can't believe people are shocked that the movie that was poo poo out really quickly so Disney could try and turn a profit on their 4 billion dollar acquisition is bad.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I think the pacing of this movie was too fast, probably because there were just too many characters squeezed into one film. I actually wanted the movie to slow down to catch a break for something emotional like the Yoda X-Wing lifting or Luke and Leia revelation scenes in the OT but it didn't.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Someone alluded to it in the other thread, but the EmpireFirst Order uses the Starkiller to blow up the new Republic homeworld? Coruscant?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 16, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jose Oquendo posted:

Someone alluded to it in the other thread, but the EmpireFirst Order uses the Starkiller to blow up the new Republic homeward? Coruscant?

Chandrila, Mon Mothma's homeworld.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

smoobles posted:

Although already stated in another way, that human connection lasted but one non verbal reaction shot from Leia and a few lines of dialogue from Obi Won. The subject of Alderaan never came up for the rest of the story and was never mentioned in any of the other films. It makes sense to a degree, the film can only focus on so many elements within a given time frame... better to focus on the characters that are driving the story through 3 films than to stop and reflect realistically on what would be the galaxy's greatest tragedy. That's just how Space Opera works.

G-III fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 16, 2015

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is Bb-8 cool?
It's a plot device robot that talks in beeps. A semisentient robot dog.

quote:

Is Phasma badass?
a huge missed opportunity

quote:

Is Poe a worthy successor to Wedge?
Poe is actually a character with a resemblance of personality contra Wedge, but he is over the top

quote:

Does Ello Asty survive? These are the important questions.
I had no idea who this is before I googled and I have no idea if he survives or not

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I totally forgot about Ello Asty.

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

Jose Oquendo posted:

Someone alluded to it in the other thread, but the EmpireFirst Order uses the Starkiller to blow up the new Republic homeworld? Coruscant?

It looked an awful lot like Coruscant, wasn't named though.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

El Perkele posted:

Poe is actually a character with a resemblance of personality contra Wedge, but he is over the top
Does his skill as a pilot match his over the top attitude? Does his piloting skills pay the bills?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

MrMojok posted:

For those that have seen it, after the crawl does the view pan down through the starfield, then focus on a ship?

camera pans down to a planet, a ship appears as a big black silhouette against the planet

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

G-III posted:

Does his skill as a pilot match his over the top attitude? Does his piloting skills pay the bills?

he gets like 9 kills in a row

yes i counted until 4, then it became ridiculous

edit: He is called the best pilot in the Resistance but is actually much more interesting when not in X-wing showdown. The fighter sequences in the movie are not the focus, but are still underwhelming

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 16, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilbastard posted:

No attempt was made to tie the scenes together apart from using coincidences to drive the plot forward.

It sounds like you dont't watch a lot of movies, at least not ones like Ep 7.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://vid.me/Yy7e

THIS is the reason for Andy Serkis's performance and a character that can only be rendered in CGI?

He looks more like a Star Trek Reman: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Reman

JJ Abrams: Makes Star Trek like Star Wars and Star Wars like Star Trek.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

El Perkele posted:

a huge missed opportunity

Is an opportunity already missed if there are 2 more movies left to go?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Jose Oquendo posted:

Great plan by the First Order. "Hey let's blow up a whole planet, that will make people accept us as their new overlords - no way anyone will hate us for it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Electromax posted:

Is an opportunity already missed if there are 2 more movies left to go?

At least one of them that she is confirmed to be in, no less.

• Locked thread